HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2013 - Draft Thread VI

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2013, 05:23 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander View Post
Leafs select LW Bob Davidson to my 4th line shut down line.

Bob Davidson - Pit Martin- xxxxxxx
I don't think Pit Martin is really the center you want for a shut down line, but Bob Davidson is a really good pick at this point. I'm surprised he didn't go quite a bit earlier after the research that nik jr did on him last time.

Old
03-14-2013, 05:41 PM
Johnny Engine

A 4th shut down line is probably fine with a gritty middle of the road centre between two defensive wingers, but if the RW isn't drafted yet, it may not be the time to declare it that yet. What if there's a run on defensive right wingers?

Old
03-14-2013, 06:33 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Hershey drafts defenseman Howard McNamara, the captain of the 1916 Stanley Cup champion Montreal Canadiens, finishing first in scoring among defenders in the NHA that season. He was known everywhere he went as a rusher who could hand out and take physical play, and his defending skills have been noted often as well. He scored more goals (47) and more assists (17) over more seasons (11) than his HHOF inducted brother, in an argument presented by a blogger who cites Frank Selke Sr. of the Hall of Fame nominating committee, in a letter to Mike Rodden, sportswriter and former NHL referee, in which Selke apparently wrote: "Between ourselves Mike - when George was admitted [to the Hall] Howard's wife told a friend of mine that George could not carry Howard's skates. I asked [Art] Ross and Lester [Patrick] about this and they said, which one was Howard?" The Dynamite Twins, as they were known, were both huge, Howard more offensive minded and George more known for his bodychecks and nastiness. Both were captains for NHA teams, George in Toronto and Howard in Montreal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putting a Roof on Winter: Hockey's Rise from Sport to Spectacle by Michael McKinley
A cartoon in the Toronto World depicted the 228th's muscular captain Howard McNamara running roughshod over his opponents while Germany's fretful Wilhelm Kaiser looks on, exclaiming to his chinless wonder of a son "They tell me this man is coming over to visit us with the Canadian devils."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto World, Jan. 26, 1914
Bad Man Hall found his match when he stacked up against Howard McNamara Saturday. McNamara rushed and Mr. Hall politely slipped the butt end of his stick into the dynamite twin's rib. McNamara stopped and handled Hall two stiff raps on the ribs that sent him to his knees. McNamara is generally considered one of the cleanest players in the league"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends of Hockey
Defenseman Howard McNamara was one of the biggest players of his era, tipping to scales at 240 pounds.

McNamara loved to play the body and be physical. It was rare that an opponent would openly challenge him in the corners, usually outweighing them by at least 50 or 60 pounds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto World, Jan. 14, 1915
"Howard and George McNamara used their bodies and Percy Leseur was in wonderful form"

"Howard and George McNamara were effective with excellent body checks"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto World, Jan 23, 1913
The McNamara boys used their bodies with deadly effect and the Ottawa forwards were seldom able to penetrate their stronghold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto World, Mar 20, 1916
Howard McNamara and Corbeau were more effective in stopping the fast attacks of the locals than any other pair seen this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Montreal Canadiens: 100 Years of Glory By D'Arcy Jenish
The defence, Bert Corbeau and Howard McNamara, were tough and reliable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto World, Jan. 8, 1914
"McNamara saved a goal by grabbing the puck with his hand while lying down in front of the goal"

"McNamara and all the forwards took a band in the bombardment of the net"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Gazette, Jan 20, 1913
It has been suggested that Howard McNamara would "stop" if subjected to hard body checking. The champions tried it and gave the big fellow a severe gruelling, but he took all that was given him without losing his effectiveness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiens.com
... he wouldn’t be one to shy away from the game’s physical nature, logging 119 penalty minutes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto World, Jan 22, 1917
Captain Howard McNamara, leading a squad of the 228th Battalion, staged a spirited attack on the enemy on Saturday evening in the Arena.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto World, Dec. 28, 1916
"McNamara set sail down the ice alone and lifted one into the net from outside the defence"

"Howard McNamara did the heavy work for the next one. He carried it down and drew the defence over and then passed neatly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Gazette, Jan 6, 1913
Howard McNamara made a rush and carried the rubber into Quebec ice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Daily Mail, Mar. 31, 1916
"A minute later Howard McNamara rushed the length of the ice"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg
As for him playing forward, all the lineup cards I could find with him on them have him listed on defence:

Mar 2, 1911: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...168,4544915&dq
Jan 6, 1913: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...1973,561590&dq
Jan 20, 1913: news.google.com/newspapers?id=WBYqAAAAIBAJ&sjid=_YQFAAAAIBAJ&pg=69 36,2125096&dq
Jan 23, 1913: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...2738,318439&dq
Jan 26, 1914: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...g=1518,4047411
Feb 19, 1914: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...381,1178770&dq
Feb 11, 1915: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...238,4817657&dq
Dec 28, 1916: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...376,3936548&dq
Feb 3, 1916: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...650,5387675&dq
Mar 20, 1916: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...052,4096469&dq
Jan 15, 1917: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...097,6107695&dq
Jan 22, 1917: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...499,6961660&dq

Old
03-14-2013, 06:45 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Hershey drafts defenseman Howard McNamara, the captain of the 1916 Stanley Cup champion Montreal Canadiens, finishing first in scoring among defenders in the NHA that season.
Did you forget that McNamara was probably a a full-time forward by that point? This was posted during the MLD when you also had him: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...9&postcount=16

The quote calling him a "full fledged forward" was from February 1915, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that they switched him back the following season, and its highly suspicious that what looks like his best offensive season was the season after we have a report that he "is now a full-fledged forward."

Old
03-14-2013, 06:48 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Did you ignore all the newspaper references Hedberg cited of game-day reporter coverage?

Maybe he played forward for a short time. but newspaper reports are more reliable, especially an avalanche of them compared to one newspaper report that could be out of context, could reflect a coach's experiment for a couple of games.

Old
03-14-2013, 06:58 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Did you ignore all the newspaper references Hedberg cited of game-day reporter coverage?

Maybe he played forward for a short time. but newspaper reports are more reliable, especially an avalanche of them compared to one newspaper report that could be out of context, could reflect a coach's experiment for a couple of games.
I actually did overlook them when skimming your profile. It looks like he was often, and probably usually, a defenseman by that point, you're right.

Old
03-14-2013, 07:05 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
The quote calling him a "full fledged forward" was from February 1915, but I haven't seen anything to indicate that they switched him back the following season, and its highly suspicious that what looks like his best offensive season was the season after we have a report that he "is now a full-fledged forward."
The full fledged forward thing is an utter mystery to me.

On Feb 9 1915, the Toronto World says he'll get a chance at forward against Ottawa the next day.

However, the Feb 11 1915 box score shows him playing point:
http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...rontpage&hl=en

On Feb 15, he's still at point

On Feb 18, the last example from that season I can find, still point:

The evidence pointing towards him being a defenceman far exceeds that suggesting he was a forward.

Old
03-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Quote:
I don't think Pit Martin is really the center you want for a shut down line, but Bob Davidson is a really good pick at this point. I'm surprised he didn't go quite a bit earlier after the research that nik jr did on him last time.
Can u post it...can't copy paste on my bb10

Old
03-14-2013, 07:06 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Maybe he played forward for a short time.
It looks like he did play forward are times during his career. How much is the question.

Quote:
newspaper reports are more reliable
It was newspaper articles that started the questioning of him being a full time defenseman in the first place.

Old
03-14-2013, 07:35 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Dawson City will select durable backup goalie Dave Kerr.

And, seeing as how our team is comprised entirely of North American-born players, I think it's fitting that our head coach shall be none other than Herb Brooks.

03-14-2013, 07:41 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Everyone is now on a 4 hour clock until the end of the draft.

Old
03-14-2013, 07:44 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander View Post
Can u post it...can't copy paste on my bb10
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=198

Old
03-14-2013, 07:47 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Dawson City will select durable backup goalie Dave Kerr.

And, seeing as how our team is comprised entirely of North American-born players, I think it's fitting that our head coach shall be none other than Herb Brooks.
Nice pick with Brooks, it was between he and Keenan for my HC.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:13 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Quote:
thanks

Old
03-14-2013, 08:24 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Hershey drafts center Ron Sutter, the Selke finalist defensive pivot who centered the Flyers second line for most of a decade, including two trips to the Stanley Cup Finals. On the first cup run he scored 12 playoff points including a team-tying high four even strength goals despite having a shadowing defensive role primarily. He was injured at the start of their next cup run but had eight points by Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, his main job was defending against opposing top centers, like Gretzky and Lemieux. The highest drafted Sutter brother ever had a career plagued by injuries, due in part to his all-out style, but he played through them to a 1000+ NHL game career, though his eight years on Philly are clearly his greatest. He captained the Flyers for two seasons, including a Game 6 Conference Finals run, before being traded in the deal to bring Brind'amour to Philly.

Quote:
... tenacity, defensive excellence and natural leadership ability
Quote:
Sutter was a key member of the great Flyers teams of the 80's, and although he did not put up the offensive numbers as some of his teammates, his role was all that much greater to the team.

Sutter personified the stigma of a player that opponents most hated to play against. His tenacity and passion on the ice earned him the respect of every person in the locker room.

He was your go-to-guy whose enormous task was always to shut down the star of the other team – which he most often accomplished.
http://flyers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=73298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Tocchet, his longtime linemate
He’s your ultimate team guy, who thought first about team stats than his personal stats. He was always willing to help teammates not just on the ice, but go that extra mile off the ice as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York Times, May 21st, 1985
FLYERS' SUTTER READY TO FACE GRETZKY

The list has grown more formidable as the playoffs have progressed. First there was Bryan Trottier, then Peter Stastny and now Wayne Gretzky will be looking Ron Sutter in the eye.

Quote:
Ron was the highest drafted Sutter ever, going 4th overall to the Philadelphia Flyers in 1982 despite missing part of his final year of junior with a broken ankle.

Ron was never expected to put up great offensive numbers, although he would put up decent numbers during his Philly days. Instead, he was the guy who would try to shutdown the opposition's top player such as Wayne Gretzky or Mario Lemieux. Sutter's defensive excellence was recognized around the league. In 1985-86 he finished as runner up to Chicago's Troy Murray in league voting as the best defensive forward.

Because of his tenacity, defensive excellence and natural leadership ability, Ron was instantly compared to Bobby Clarke - the Flyers Legend. Those comparisons were ultimately a little lofty as Ron's game lacked offensive polish, although Ron was certainly a key member of the Flyers during the 1980s.

The Flyers had some great years in the 1980s, and twice made the Stanley Cup finals, only to fall short to the powerhouse Edmonton Oilers led by Wayne Gretzky and Mark Messier. The Flyers had the likes of Tim Kerr, Mark Howe and later Ron Hextall in their lineup. Those were some good exciting times to be a Flyers fan.

The 1987 Stanley Cup finals in particular are most memorable. Considered by many as one of the greatest championship series ever played, the Flyers pushed Gretzky's Oilers to the limit. The series took a full seven games to complete.

Had Ron Sutter been fully healthy, the Flyers might have had just enough to knock off the dynastic Oilers. Ron missed half of the season and the start of the playoffs with a stress fracture in his lower back. Despite the debilitating injury, Sutter came back to for the playoffs and played through immense pain.

Pain was nothing new to any of the Sutters. They're all-out style of play led to many injuries. In addition to the back and ankle injuries already mentioned, some of the more serious injuries Ron had to battle through in his career include broken ribs, pulled hip flexor, right knee ligament damage, abdominal pulls, seperated shoulders and the always troublesome groin pull.

Of course none of these injuries altered the way Ron would play, which likely made it tough for Mother and Father Sutter to watch hockey.

By 1988 Ron began enjoying his best years offensively. The Flyers were starting their downward cycle and as a result there was more playing time for Ron, which meant more offensive opportunity. He played often on a line with Brian Propp and Rick Tocchet. By December Ron became captain of the team, taking over from Dave Poulin. It was a great compliment to Ron, as he epitomized what Flyers hockey is all about.

By the early 1990s the Flyers were going through their leanest years since they were an expansion team. The house was cleaned including Ron, who was traded to St. Louis in the deal that brought Rod Brind'Amour to Philadelphia.

Ron played well in St. Louis until 1993-94 when he was traded to Quebec. His stay there was brief, as was his next stop. By 1996 he found a home with the San Jose Sharks for 4 years, but was strictly a 4th liner. In 2000-01 he signed with the Flames by mid season. He was clearly not the player that he used to be, but he was a good influence in the dressing room and a good faceoff man.

Ron Sutter played 1093 games, registering 205 goals, 328 assists and 533 points, not to mention 1352 PIM.
http://broadstreetbullies.blogspot.k...on-sutter.html

Old
03-14-2013, 08:36 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

I remember JohnFlyersFan said that Ron Sutter, not Poulin, was actually the guy used in a shutdown role by the Flyers at even strength. Poulin was their top penalty killer

Old
03-14-2013, 08:45 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
I remember JohnFlyersFan said that Ron Sutter, not Poulin, was actually the guy used in a shutdown role by the Flyers at even strength. Poulin was their top penalty killer
That meshes with my memory too. I didn't like the top Sutter brothers as they played for three teams I hated at the time: Isles, Blues and Flyers. They were helluva competitors and you always knew when they were out on the ice. Their hustle and tireless energy were incredible.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:08 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Why does he have his full name on his jersey?

Old
03-14-2013, 09:09 PM
Hawkman

Quote:
...And, seeing as how our team is comprised entirely of North American-born players, I think it's fitting that our head coach shall be none other than Herb Brooks.
It's been exactly 1/3 of a century. It may be time for another Miracle on Ice!

Old
03-14-2013, 09:10 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Why does he have his full name on his jersey?
It guess it's better than Ro. Sutter

Old
03-14-2013, 09:27 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

Ab McDonald, LW

Brings a few intangibles to the fourth line.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:33 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
I believe they both did at times but here is evidence of Ron being matched against (but saying he wasn't shadowing) Gretzky in the first couple games in 1985:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...5166%2C3780305

Looks like Sutter was being matched against Gretzky but he says it was a whole unit effort to take away options, particularly Howe standing up to Gretzky at the blueline and forcing him to move the puck.. and Poulin was being matched against Messier.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...2702%2C2453171

In 87 they were both pretty injured.. I remember Poulin was wearing a flak jacket to protect his ribs and Sutter was real banged up too and I can't seem to find articles laying out the matchups they were going for off hand. From memory I can't remember for sure. Pretty sure an undrafted went against Messier at times in that series though. Those 87 Flyers were one damn tough gritty team. I hate the Flyers but that team was special.

Last edited by BraveCanadian: 03-14-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old
03-14-2013, 09:36 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Looks like Sutter was being matched against Gretzky but he says it was a whole unit effort to take away options, particularly Howe standing up to Gretzky at the blueline and forcing him to move the puck...
And both Mark Howe and Ron Sutter have been drafted onto the Bears squad!

Old
03-14-2013, 09:40 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
And both Mark Howe and Ron Sutter have been drafted onto the Bears squad!
Well that would be a plus if you face Gretzky except that he won.

At least it was effective for a bit though haha

Old
03-14-2013, 09:48 PM
Velociraptor
Nucks future 1C??

One of my all-time favorites for Leaf.

Bill Goldsworthy, RW

Closed Thread