HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2013 - Draft Thread VI

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2013, 06:24 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
665 overpass & bluesfan94 - Ottawa Senators - skipped
666 Stoneberg & Croskinnon - Halifax Mooseheads - OTC (2 hours, 42 minutes remain)
667 Hawkey Town 18 - Chicago Shamrocks
668 TheDevilMadeMe - New Jersey Swamp Devils - pick sent to Hobnobs ; gmm ; vecens24; Dreakmur ; BillyShoe1721 ; Sturminator (sorry guys, nobody is online now to ask if you can take it)

Old
03-16-2013, 08:03 AM
overpass

The Ottawa Senators add size and skill down the middle with Hart-trophy-winning C Billy Burch

Old
03-16-2013, 08:21 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
The Ottawa Senators add size and skill down the middle with Hart-trophy-winning C Billy Burch

I think I've done a pretty good biography on him last draft, on one of the less famous Hart trophy winner of All-Time.

Old
03-16-2013, 08:39 AM
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
I think I've done a pretty good biography on him last draft, on one of the less famous Hart trophy winner of All-Time.
After 666 Stoneberg & Croskinnon - Halifax Mooseheads OTC, I forwarded the next 2 picks to you.

Old
03-16-2013, 08:43 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
After 666 Stoneberg & Croskinnon - Halifax Mooseheads OTC, I forwarded the next 2 picks to you.
Forward it to other people also, I probably won't be around much in the next few days. Saint-Patricks weekend here in Northern Ireland!

Old
03-16-2013, 09:04 AM
Stoneberg
Bored

Mooseheads select Jaroslav Jirik, W.

Old
03-16-2013, 09:10 AM
Hawkman

The Chicago Shamrocks pick F Chris Drury,

Old
03-16-2013, 09:12 AM
Hawkman

The New Jersey Swamp Devils pick Ed Sandford, LW(F?)

Awards and Achievements:
Retro Conn Smythe Awarded by the HHOF/SIHR study(1953)
Second Team All-Star (1954)
5 x NHL All-Star (1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955) - the first 4 on merit

Boston Bruin Captain (1954-55)

Dreakmur made a great profile of Sandford during the last MLD: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...9&postcount=20

I found 2 book quotes that really add to it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Cusick - Voice of the Bruins
In hockey, the best fighters seldom fight. The establish their reputations early, and therefore nobody takes them on. Of course, some tough guys made a living out of stirring up trouble. (undrafted Flyer) and Terry O'Reilly were leaders in this category. I real Ed Sandford, a solid Bruins winger, clearly beating up a brash Montreal rookie, Dickie Moore, at the Forum. He did it so decisively that few players challenged him for the rest of his career
page 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Chronicle: Year-By-Year History of the National Hockey League
A versatile performer who was adept at playing all three forward positions, Ed Sandford was a fan favorite in Boston
page 212

Sandford will be the Swamp Devils' enforcer, but he's an enforcer who can play - he was solid defensively, won battles in corners, and can chip in offensively.

Old
03-16-2013, 10:09 AM
markrander87

The Fireworks select LW/C Lynn Patrick

Old
03-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Johnny Engine

I wish Hockey Reference didn't come up with such wildly bizarre results with similarity scores.

While trying to sort out my group of defensive defensemen with mild offensive upside for the 4th PP point position, I see that Sylvio Mantha's career compares most directly to Sandis Ozolinsh, an undrafted puck-mover who I was looking at when I took Duchesne, and Serge Savard. What the hell?

Not only does this tell me next to nothing about the player, but it's as good a proof as any that their point share system is just wacky.

Old
03-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Engine View Post
I wish Hockey Reference didn't come up with such wildly bizarre results with similarity scores.

While trying to sort out my group of defensive defensemen with mild offensive upside for the 4th PP point position, I see that Sylvio Mantha's career compares most directly to Sandis Ozolinsh, an undrafted puck-mover who I was looking at when I took Duchesne, and Serge Savard. What the hell?

Not only does this tell me next to nothing about the player, but it's as good a proof as any that their point share system is just wacky.
If hes undrafted you shouldnt mention his name...

Old
03-16-2013, 11:41 AM
Johnny Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
If hes undrafted you shouldnt mention his name...
Sandis Ozolinsh has been drafted. Should have used semi-colons in my list right there. I got grammared.

The undrafted guy is a basic Ozolinsh-lite type, of which there are like 12 of them available right now, so I'm not too worried that people will suss out some hidden gem from what I just said.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:04 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Sandis Ozolinsh has been drafted. Should have used semi-colons in my list right there. I got grammared.

The undrafted guy is a basic Ozolinsh-lite type, of which there are like 12 of them available right now, so I'm not too worried that people will suss out some hidden gem from what I just said.
Ah ok I musunderstood then, sorry!

Old
03-16-2013, 12:11 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
Patrick is a nice pick at this point. He's a very, very good offensive spare.

Philadelphia selects G Andy Moog

7x Top 8 AS Voting(3, 3, 5, 5, 5, 7, 8)
6x Top 8 Vezina Voting(3, 5, 5, 5, 7, 8)
3x Stanley Cup Champion
4x All Star Game Participant

We are re-uniting the tandem of Moog & Fuhr, who teamed to win 3 Stanley Cups together in a rather odd relationship. In those 3 years, Moog started 123 regular season games, and Fuhr 135. Despite the fact that Moog grew tired of the situation and wanted to be a #1 after awhile, we believe they will compliment each other well due to their familiarity with this unique situation.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:13 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post

Good pick. If it wasn't for Tarasov, we would have taken Burch instead of Pavol Demitra.

With a our coach, we didn't think it would be a good idea to select an alcoholic party animal who was a ringleader in a player strike and deliberately passed as little as possible

Quote:
Also a good pick. He's another guy we almost took when we picked Demitra. Honsetly, I'm not sure we made the right choice

Old
03-16-2013, 12:46 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:

Their similarity scores are based on their "point shares" formula, which is garbage. I wouldn't pay any attention to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
The New Jersey Swamp Devils pick Ed Sandford, LW(F?)

Awards and Achievements:
Retro Conn Smythe Awarded by the HHOF/SIHR study(1953)
Second Team All-Star (1954)
5 x NHL All-Star (1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955) - the first 4 on merit

Boston Bruin Captain (1954-55)

Dreakmur made a great profile of Sandford during the last MLD: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...9&postcount=20

I found 2 book quotes that really add to it:

page 14

page 212

Sandford will be the Swamp Devils' enforcer, but he's an enforcer who can play - he was solid defensively, won battles in corners, and can chip in offensively.
Thanks for announcing my pick and posting the blurb I sent. I figured if I spammed my pick to you guys, at least one of you would be awake and posted by the time it came up.

The one thing my team was missing was a heavyweight fighter, but I wasn't willing to draft one who couldn't play a regular shift at this level. I knew there was a reference to Sandford being a "policeman" in Dreakmur's profile, but I needed more. So I did a google books search (which is a good way to supplement a google archives search) and seem to have struck gold.

Quote:
Good pick - I was definitely considering him, but he would have just been a spare for me.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:06 PM
markrander87

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
Patrick is a nice pick at this point. He's a very, very good offensive spare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post

Also a good pick. He's another guy we almost took when we picked Demitra. Honsetly, I'm not sure we made the right choice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post

Good pick - I was definitely considering him, but he would have just been a spare for me.

Thanks, i'm pretty sure I will be using Patrick as my top offensive spare, I have a guy in mind to round out my roster.

Old
03-16-2013, 02:29 PM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 297
Dallas will use its makeup pick (#660) to round out the starting lineup ... from Sorel, Quebec ... F Pierre Mondou

Old
03-16-2013, 02:34 PM
BraveCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
Dallas will use its makeup pick (#660) to round out the starting lineup ... from Sorel, Quebec ... F Pierre Mondou
Good pick. I was considering him when I picked Duchesne but decided I liked Duchesne more for my PK.

Old
03-16-2013, 03:55 PM
JFA87-66-99

The Pittsburgh Bankers are very pleased to select D Jack Laviolette

...A Hall-Of-Fame defensemen who will be our #7. Laviolette's capable of playing on any defensive unit and gives us another puck-rushing and power play defensemen.

Old
03-16-2013, 04:25 PM
Johnny Engine

Alright excellent. My guys are winger Yevgeni Babich, who can sub on the 4th line when a more defensive tack is needed, or just about anywhere should things get hurtin'; and swingman Tommy Anderson, who can sub in anywhere.

Note my proper use of comma and semicolon hierarchy.

Old
03-16-2013, 04:33 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Alright excellent. My guys are winger Yevgeni Babich, who can sub on the 4th line when a more defensive tack is needed, or just about anywhere should things get hurtin'; and swingman Tommy Anderson, who can sub in anywhere.

The word "or" is already separating that sentence. No need for comma.

Old
03-16-2013, 04:41 PM
Johnny Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
The word "or" is already separating that sentence. No need for comma.
I'm a fan of the Oxford Comma, as it mimics the tone of actual human speech and that's very important in my line of work! If you're an AP Stylebook man, I suggest we don't argue about this, as the is a battle that could rage for centuries, or at least as far as Draft Thread VII.

Old
03-16-2013, 05:11 PM
ck26
Free Raptor Reagan

vCash: 297
Quote:
I'm a fan of the Oxford Comma, as it mimics the tone of actual human speech and that's very important in my line of work! If you're an AP Stylebook man, I suggest we don't argue about this, as the is a battle that could rage for centuries, or at least as far as Draft Thread VII.
I'm keeping close tabs, because your comma usage is suspiciously similar to TheSabre's ...

Goaltender familiarity isn't something I put a lot of stock in; I think it'd be more useful to have either Moog or Fuhr playing behind Paul Coffey or the rest of the Edmonton defense than to have them playing with each other. I like smallish 1980's goalies behind a fast defense that can recover and help clear rebounds (Park, Niedermayer, Davydov), but have doubts about that duo against opposition that can sustain pressure and keep you pinned in your own zone for any length of time.

Old
03-16-2013, 05:22 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:

Damn, I was leaning towards Tommy Anderson for my next pick. I liked his versatility.

Closed Thread