HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2013 - Draft Thread VI

Closed Thread

Old
03-21-2013, 10:22 AM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 500
With our 22nd selection, the 728th overall in this year All-Time Draft, les Nordiques de Quebec are extremely please to select, from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, centre Art Chapman

''We are extremely happy to select a player that was extensively discuss in the war room to play on our third line, between Alf Smith and Gordie Drillon (all the way up at pick #472). By a longshot the best playmaker available at this point in the draft, Art Chapman also bring sound defensive play, speed and leadership to our team. We feel Art is an elite spare for this team, that can replace on any lines and be effective.''

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour-AKA ATD 2011
- Playmaking: A great playmaker, by far his best asset. Chapman 1,1,2,5 in a decent era for playmaker is extremely impressive. Don't let the overall competition fool you though: he catch Frank Boucher in one prime year, Bill Cowley at the start of his career & Howie Morenz in Chicago among others. Herbie Lewis and Larry Aurie is probably is best competition during his prime years (whom he beat handedly).

- Goalscoring: Terrible goalcscorer, and it's not even close. It's the biggest drawback for a guy that you would want to play on an ATD top-6. Even surrounded with great linemate with 2nd PP time, he couldn't crack double digit in goal. A great playmaker, a terrible goalscorer.

- Physically: I havn't found any real evidence, good or bad. He was described as lanky, do own decent size. My feel while reading numerous newspaper is that he was not not physical, perhaps more of a perimeter player. Most probably underaverage on that regard. This is perhaps the only part of his game that I don't have a strong read.

- Speed: He was indeed a speedy skater. The extent of it is still unknown to me, but it's between decent-to-good. He was described once as speedy, and a newspaper of the day reports Red Dutton (in 1938 as he was a manager) racing against Chapman and another forward (Dutton says Chapman won the race). He's decent-to-above average in this context, which is a nice plus.

- Defensively: Don't let the LoH quote about his defensive play fool you, or at least, don't let it cloud your judgement into making him a great defensive forward. He likely was not bad defensively, but I found a quote of 1937 stating: XXX is the best skater and defensive player of the line over Art Chapman and Sweeney Schriner, but his offensive exploit is not as good as them. From what I know, XXX is not known as a defensive player (fast research and you'll discover whom I'm talking about) and Schriner definitely was not. So I'm still unsure about that LoH quote about him playing too defensively. Perhaps Chapman played a perimeter game, skating inside the blueline, feeding his linemate with great passes and being the first on the backcheck I don't know, but he was not great defensively by any mean.

- Longevity: Bad longevity for a skater who played in the 1930's. Chapman prime and peak goes from the 1934-35 season to the 1937-38 season. He's got another 'decent' season in Boston, one 'decent' season with NYA in 1939 and the rest is mediocre to say the least.

- Playoff experience: Like most NYA of that time, the playoff experience of Chapman is very underwhelming, but I think it's a notch worst with Chapman, with 5 assists and 6 points in 26 games. He's got 3 assists in 5 games in 1935. The rest is 1 goal and 2 assists in 23 games.

- Intangible: This is surprising, but I've read in different newspaper in 1937, 1938 and 1939 that Art Chapman was the captain of the New York Americans (most report say it was Dave Schriner). Chapman definitely was a captain in those season, but I don't know if it was duel captainship or he replace Schriner due to injury in all three season (very unlikely). A little more research could elucidate that mystery. He probably was a decent-to-good leader.

So that's it! That is my unbias view of Art Chapman. I've spent hours looking at him in the newspaper, so I would say my read on him is pretty reliable. He is not a top-350 All-Time player like he was taken a few drafts ago, but he seems like nice value close to the top-500. I'm just still unsure how he should be use in this context. He's not good enough of a goalscorer to be playing on a top-6 role (very borderline even in a 40 teams draft) and he's not great enough defensively to play on a defensive, shutdown line. I feel his niche, where he would thrive, is on a two-way, third line with decent goalscorer at his wing.

Old
03-21-2013, 01:52 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Boston Mules listpick coach Claude Julien
Just got back, thanks for taking the pick for me.

Picked Julien because I have the same type of philosophy:
- defensive oriented but having some players with great natural scoring ability who're willing to play in all three zones......well nearly all of the players. I have no goldbrickers really, except Lysiak on occasion.
- Hard forechecking schemes with players who can play multiple position and/or feel comfortable anywhere on the ice but are responsible for their area. If out of position, having players smart enough to rotate in that slot.
- The forwards having experience with faceoffs and can step in in case the first player gets tossed from the circle, thusly being able to control the game better via puck control.
- Good special teams, (although in this case my PP looks 1,000 times better than what the current B's have).
- Players of all temperaments but no real loose cannons, for the most part. A fighter or two who can actually play, some Lady Byng types who aren't afraid to go into the corners, all of them with grit, well most of them.

As when they won the Cup, there are a few stars and a lot of plumbers who like to get dirty and have "been there" and know how to win, sacrificing personal gain for the good of the team.

Not to say he isn't too stubborn for his own good at times, heavily favors experience over hotshot rookies, and there was a couple of times where his job was in jeopardy but he weathered it with aplomb and was rewarded by finding the right batch of guys, playing them perfectly to gain a Cup, (seriously, how many out there outside of New England actualy thought the Bruins woud beat Vancouver?).

Last week he moved into 2nd place in all-time wins for a Bruins head coach, trailing only Art Ross. With the game 7 deciding win for the Cup, he moved into 1st place for most Stanley Cup wins by a Bruins coach.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:27 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 844
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Ottawa's 4 hour clock is up. I'll notify the Halifax GMs.

Old
03-21-2013, 02:43 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
Just got back, thanks for taking the pick for me.

Picked Julien because I have the same type of philosophy:
- defensive oriented but having some players with great natural scoring ability who're willing to play in all three zones......well nearly all of the players. I have no goldbrickers really, except Lysiak on occasion.
- Hard forechecking schemes with players who can play multiple position and/or feel comfortable anywhere on the ice but are responsible for their area. If out of position, having players smart enough to rotate in that slot.
- The forwards having experience with faceoffs and can step in in case the first player gets tossed from the circle, thusly being able to control the game better via puck control.
- Good special teams, (although in this case my PP looks 1,000 times better than what the current B's have).
- Players of all temperaments but no real loose cannons, for the most part. A fighter or two who can actually play, some Lady Byng types who aren't afraid to go into the corners, all of them with grit, well most of them.

As when they won the Cup, there are a few stars and a lot of plumbers who like to get dirty and have "been there" and know how to win, sacrificing personal gain for the good of the team.

Not to say he isn't too stubborn for his own good at times, heavily favors experience over hotshot rookies, and there was a couple of times where his job was in jeopardy but he weathered it with aplomb and was rewarded by finding the right batch of guys, playing them perfectly to gain a Cup, (seriously, how many out there outside of New England actualy thought the Bruins woud beat Vancouver?).

Last week he moved into 2nd place in all-time wins for a Bruins head coach, trailing only Art Ross. With the game 7 deciding win for the Cup, he moved into 1st place for most Stanley Cup wins by a Bruins coach.
Claude Julien's head is shaped like a thumb

...and Claude Julien can find every dick in this picture in under five seconds.

Claude Julien owns you, son. Go get Claude Julien a sandwich. I may be drunk, but in the morning I will be sober. Claude Julien, on the other hand, is completely bossm abd will remain so.

Old
03-21-2013, 04:28 PM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
With the game 7 deciding win for the Cup, he moved into 1st place for most Stanley Cup wins by a Bruins coach.
With one win. Lol...first place with one. That's awesome. The Bruins have three of the top-4 defensemen of all-time, and three of the top-50 or so coaches. The story of a franchise. Julien is tied for the lead in the tallest midget competition, which means he's kissing his sister, Harry Sinden, full on the lips. Gross.

Old
03-21-2013, 04:39 PM
Stoneberg
Bored

Halifax selects Harry Mummery, D.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:13 PM
overpass

The Ottawa Senators select early hockey star Paddy Moran, G.

Dreakmur's bio from last year: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...87&postcount=4

Old
03-21-2013, 05:20 PM
tony d
The man

I have Hawkey Town's list, with Pick 731 he selects Right Winger Viktor Shalimov

This is his bio on Shalimov from 2011:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=221

Next is pmed.

People got to learn how to use punctuation. On our radio ads the other day a black man's wallet was reported as missing. Instead of a man's wallet black in colour missing a black man's wallet is missing.
Old
03-21-2013, 05:34 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
With one win. Lol...first place with one. That's awesome. The Bruins have three of the top-4 defensemen of all-time, and three of the top-50 or so coaches. The story of a franchise. Julien is tied for the lead in the tallest midget competition, which means he's kissing his sister, Harry Sinden, full on the lips. Gross.
And with that, Claude Julien says:

Claude Julien bio

Old
03-21-2013, 05:47 PM
Hawkman
I want my MTV.

Next page.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:01 PM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

732 TheDevilMadeMe - New Jersey Swamp Devils - ON THE CLOCK (3 hours, 17 minutes remaining)

733 markrander87 - Cincinnati Fireworks
734 BillyShoe1721 - Philadelphia Flyers
735 JFA87-66-99 - Pittsburgh Bankers
736 Johnny Engine - Yekaterinburg Automobilist
737 VanIslander & Hedberg - Hershey Bears

Old
03-21-2013, 06:10 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Carl Brewer Bio

I enjoyed making this bio the most out of all my players. I knew Carl Brewer spent 3 prime seasons outside the NHL, but I had no idea how many different teams he played for and how successful he was in each and every place he went. I also found a great article about Brewer practicing with the Soviets during his time away from the NHL, which was new to me too. I'm sure some of you already know this stuff, but for those that don't it should be pretty fun to read about.

Old
03-21-2013, 07:12 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Added links to bios in my roster thread. None of them are mine, but oh well. Maybe I'll try to make some for Federko/Bourne/Ezinicki

Old
03-21-2013, 07:16 PM
JFA87-66-99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
Carl Brewer Bio

I enjoyed making this bio the most out of all my players. I knew Carl Brewer spent 3 prime seasons outside the NHL, but I had no idea how many different teams he played for and how successful he was in each and every place he went. I also found a great article about Brewer practicing with the Soviets during his time away from the NHL, which was new to me too. I'm sure some of you already know this stuff, but for those that don't it should be pretty fun to read about.
Great Bio!

Old
03-21-2013, 09:00 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Frank Brimsek was a workhorse, so I don't think the Swamp Devils' backup goalie will play a lot. But he'll be a much-needed countryman and speaker of the Czech language to keep Milan Novy from getting homesick. Probably the second best European goalie of the first half of the 1980s after Tretiak:

Jiri Kralik, G

Domestic:
•CSSR Golden Stick winner (1985)
•CSSR Golden Stick 1st Among Goalies (1979, 1980, 1982, 1983, 1985)
•CSSR Golden Stick Top 10 finishes: 1st (1985), 2nd (1983), 4th (1979), 4th (1980), 5th (1982). He also received multiple votes in 1972, 1978, 1979, 1981, and 1984.
•Tip Magazine CSSR best goalie (1979, 1980, 1982, 1983, 1985)

International:
•World Championships Best Goalie (1982, 1985)
•World Championships All Star (1982, 1985)
•Gold Medal in 1985

Awarded the Izvestia Golden Stick for the best player in Europe (1985)
•Izvestia Golden Stick voting: 7th-1982, 5th-1983, 1st-1985

Domestic competition included a young Dominik Hasek starting in 1982, and International competition included Vladislav Tretiak until 1984. Competition for the Izvestia Golden Stick included all the Soviet greats of the 1980s, including the Green Unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord
Kralik played in 4 World Championships and one Olympics, plus another game in another Olympics (which he won) for a total of 39 games. That's pretty sweet.

He was top goalie in two of those tournaments, and won a gold and four Silvers. Based on his GP and tournament records, it appears his W/L record was 25-7-7, with a 2.25 GAA. Tretiak's average in this period, in the same tournaments, with a much stronger defense, was 1.67.

1985 was really his crowning moment, though. After a middling preliminary (4-2-1, 16 GA), Kralik allowed just 2 against USA (who averaged 3.42 per game in the prelims), 3 against Canada (who averaged 4.71), and 1 against the Soviets (who averaged a whopping 7.43 in the prelims).
Here's an old seventieslord profile:
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=603

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 03-21-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old
03-21-2013, 10:35 PM
markrander87

Lw kirk maltby. Can someone please pm the next gm.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:38 PM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrander87 View Post
Lw kirk maltby. Can someone please pm the next gm.
You are on a smartphone? No prob.

734 BillyShoe1721 - Philadelphia Flyers - ON THE CLOCK (PM sent)

735 JFA87-66-99 - Pittsburgh Bankers
736 Johnny Engine - Yekaterinburg Automobilist
737 VanIslander & Hedberg - Hershey Bears

Old
03-21-2013, 10:59 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

ugh, i can't believe Maltby was selected again.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:11 PM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
ugh, i can't believe Maltby was selected again.
*sigh* ... I agree. I never thought of him as an all-time great. He is a fast-skating 4th liner on a championship NHL club, a cheap depth player who banged around and really not much of an impact player against the best, a MLD bottom-6 role player imo, NOT a top-800 or top-1000 all-time player.

May he fall to the MLD next year!

That said, he can skate and forecheck, so as a marginal banger in a substitute fourth line role, on neither special teams, he isn't a liability against the best of his era, and perhaps any era. He isn't a minus in limited minutes, but really, what does he add? (to justify the pick)

Old
03-21-2013, 11:17 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Full Art Duncan Bio

Old
03-21-2013, 11:18 PM
monster_bertuzzi

He was a top tier penalty killer and one of the best pest's of his era. He is defendable as a spare IMO.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:53 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
He was a top tier penalty killer and one of the best pest's of his era. He is defendable as a spare IMO.
Was he a top tier penalty killer? He seems to be, at best, the third most important penalty killing forward on his own team behind Draper and Yzerman, and IMO he was behind Fedorov, as well.

I mean, he was great at what he did in the NHL as an elite 4th liner, but I really don't think that's the kind of guy who will make any kind of positive impact at this level.

Old
03-21-2013, 11:54 PM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
... one of the best pest's of his era.
Certainly a GRINDER, if not the definition of it. A "pest" draws penalties and gets under the skin of opponents, drawing ire and standing out with flashy annoyance. That was not Maltby's game. He was fast, quiet and efficient at forechecking and playing as the coach expected of a depth, 4th liner. (His heyday has to have been on Draper's wing.)

Quote:
He is defendable as a spare IMO.
Agreed. He fills a 4th line role/hole if a team has a penalty or injury prone player, or a short career among the Bottom-6 role players. Otherwise, why not let him drop to the MLD where he could actually ADD to a team's squad?

Old
03-21-2013, 11:58 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post

Agreed. He fills a 4th line role/hole if a team has a penalty or injury prone player, or a short career among the Bottom-6 role players. Otherwise, why not let him drop to the MLD where he could actually ADD to a team's squad?
Honestly, considering the level of players still left at the MLD - you can get very solid career NHL 3rd liners to play on your 4th line there - I probably wouldn't even pick Maltby in the MLD.

Old
03-22-2013, 12:00 AM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
I probably wouldn't even pick Maltby in the MLD.
Neither would I personally. But there's a case to be made for him there. He could be an impact player at that level, given how many Wings fans he has had, I have to wonder if my judgement of him isn't completely accurate. You and I are on the same page with the guy. Having seen him in hundreds of games, I never would have thought anyone would draft him as an all-time great! I'll leave it at that. Maybe stats and cup counting might make him seem marginally worthy. I dunno about that. Certainly, no one of us would cry if he dropped out of the all-time greats draft to the minor league next-best draft, would we? So, he's a marginal pick at best. There are some well-deserving all-time greats at what they do and when they did it, that should be among the top-800 of all-time!! That's what rounds 24 and 25 will be all about, hopefully.

Last edited by VanIslander: 03-22-2013 at 12:11 AM.
Closed Thread