HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2013 - Draft Thread VI

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2013, 11:56 AM
Leaf Lander

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Delete the Steve Austin post it has no place here

Last edited by Leaf Lander: 03-26-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old
03-26-2013, 12:02 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
What?
Well I doubt anyone in this draft stomps mud holes as well as he does.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:18 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Why is Barilko picked again? Is it all because he scored ONE important goal in an leaf uniform? He has no career value what so ever and is basically Garth Butcher but with no career...

Old
03-26-2013, 12:21 PM
Reds4Life
HFBoards Sponsor

I will take Jiri Sejba, W and Göran Högosta, G.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:05 PM
nik jr

UAF selects assistant coach Dave Tippett.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:37 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Well I doubt anyone in this draft stomps mud holes as well as he does.
Didn't you click the youtube video?

What! What! What!

Old
03-26-2013, 03:06 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
Was deciding between two guys, this is the one.

With Claude Julien assisting him, the Boston Mules select head coach Karel Gut.

- Czech National team coach for 10 years, won two WC's at the helm.
- President of Czech Ice Hockey Federation for 10 years, introduced many new training systems and published many training / strategy books.
- Won two Budesliga championships for cellar dwellers Landshut not long after taking over the organization.
- Won 3 Bronze medals at the WCs as a groundbreaking (PMD) defenseman in his playing days.
- Elected into the Czech Hockey Hall of Fame.
- Elected nto the IIHF Hall of Fame in 1998.

Karel will take on the technical strategiers / training aspect of the team and oversee the in-game decisions. Julien will provide additional technical aspects and implement the schemes by Karel, oversee the training and help with a lot of the on-ice shift changes and as a gritty player in his playing days, will oversee the sandpaper aspect of this team.
What years did Gut coach the Czech team? This is a pick that really needs a good bio - I don't know if he's ever been picked as a coach before. And what he did as a player isn't relevant to what he did as a coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papershoes View Post

As for Daneyko, in my opinion, he was never considered close to #2 on those Devils teams (Stevens and Niedermeyer), and in 2000 and 2004, I would say he was no better than #4 (Stevens, Niedermeyer, and Rafalski)... maybe a Devils fan can provide some insight (TDMM?)
The 1995 Cup winner really didn't have a clear cut #2 - it was basically Scott Stevens, then the rest. Daneyko was as good as choice as the #2 as any other. He was the clear #4 by the time of the almost-dynasty from 2000-2003.

Quote:
basically, a #3-#4 defensemen on three cup champions, with no all-star votes, known for great defence and punishing hits, is good enough to go in the 400s (again, I like Daneyko as a selection, and his career value is outstanding).
but, a #4 defensemen on three cup champions, with no all-star votes (in the O6), known for good defence (horrendous offence) and punishing hits, isn't good enough as a 25th round spare?
If you want to call Woit Ken Daneyko with a shorter career, I wouldn't object.

In my opinion, Ken Daneyko's only ATD-worthy quality is penalty killing - we know that he was a big part of one of the best penalty kills of his era. And at least right now, I don't know that about Woit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
I will take Jiri Sejba, W and Göran Högosta, G.
More guys who need bios.

Old
03-26-2013, 03:25 PM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
What years did Gut coach the Czech team? This is a pick that really needs a good bio - I don't know if he's ever been picked as a coach before. And what he did as a player isn't relevant to what he did as a coach.
Bio coming later.

It's not directly related but I feel that they was they played and the pedigree gives an indication as to how the coach, usually they bring a lot of the same traits and philosophies with them

Old
03-26-2013, 03:47 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:

The 1995 Cup winner really didn't have a clear cut #2 - it was basically Scott Stevens, then the rest. Daneyko was as good as choice as the #2 as any other. He was the clear #4 by the time of the almost-dynasty from 2000-2003.

If you want to call Woit Ken Daneyko with a shorter career, I wouldn't object.

In my opinion, Ken Daneyko's only ATD-worthy quality is penalty killing - we know that he was a big part of one of the best penalty kills of his era. And at least right now, I don't know that about Woit.

More guys who need bios.
I think Högosta is a step behind the usual suspects we see in the MLD (We drafted three of them last year)

Old
03-26-2013, 03:57 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
I think Högosta is a step behind the usual suspects we see in the MLD (We drafted three of them last year)
Yeah, seems like a really random pick. The drafting phase is almost over, and when it is, we can talk about those undrafteds.

Old
03-26-2013, 04:02 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Yeah, seems like a really random pick. The drafting phase is almost over, and when it is, we can talk about those undrafteds.
This whole round has been pretty random, I guess people have been stressed with irl activities and not cared about that last spare or something.

and I dont mean to pick on people but I think this has been pretty bad round of non-atd players... Wether Sandlin belongs here or not is up to the GMs but he was accepted as a good MLD coach iirc and once I get a bio done Im sure he will be considered a good assistant in the ATD.

I'm pretty busy with my swedish project too... tho its kind of on a stand still with my grandpa still in hospital.

Old
03-26-2013, 04:05 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakmur View Post
Didn't you click the youtube video?

What! What! What!
lol, I did now but I was on my phone back then. Can't believe that one flew over my head

Old
03-26-2013, 04:51 PM
Reds4Life
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
It was not random. I was just recently reading about his heroics against USSR. Made me a fan of Hogosta.

Sejba is just all around solid player, was part of the czechoslovak line that shut down KLM line when it counted the most.

Old
03-26-2013, 05:06 PM
overpass

Darth Yoda's clock is up. EagleBelfour and DaveG are OTC. PM sent.

Old
03-26-2013, 05:12 PM
Dreakmur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander View Post
Delete
If you want me to delete that bio, gimme a hell yeah!

Old
03-26-2013, 05:40 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
With our final selection, the 792nd in this year All-Time Draft, les Nordiques de Quebec are extremely proud to select, from Banská Bystrica, Czechoslovakia, centerman Michal Handzus

"A key PKer for many teams over the years, including some strong finishes in Selke voting, Handzus rounds out the team nicely. Offering a solid PK addition to the lineup which is something that was most needed, it's expected that he'll slot in on the 4th line and play significant time with Messier on the top PK unit. He also brings a decent bit of offense the table and physically fits in nicely with our already quite sizey lineup."

Old
03-26-2013, 05:43 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

I like the Handzus pick. Was he one of the best penalty killers of all time? Probably not. But he was good at it, and he bring a lot of size and defensive ability down the middle.

Old
03-26-2013, 05:45 PM
EagleBelfour

With our 25th selection, the 792nd overall in this year All-Time Draft, les Nordiques de Québec are very happy to select, from Banska Bystrica, Slovakia, centre Michal Handzus

''We are very happy to select Michal Handzus as our last selection in this year draft. One of the premier penalty-killer of his generation, the 6-foot-5, 215 pounds defensive forward will be a valuable asset to a regular lineup; not only helping our penalty kill, but also taking crucial defensive faceoff if necessary. He will bring competitiveness to a lineup that already boost a plethora of competitive players.''

Old
03-26-2013, 05:52 PM
overpass

The Ottawa Senators select a classic ATD spare:

Marty McSorley, D/W

Quote:
Marty McSorley was more than a goon. He started out as a goon in Pittsburgh who went on to become Dave Semenko's replacement as Gretzky's bodyguard in Edmonton and later Los Angeles. But a funny thing happened a long the way - McSorley worked his butt off and he turned himself into a fine player, especially during his first tenure with the Kings. In fact, in my opinion, McSorley was the second most dominant LA King in the 1993 Cup run, after of course Wayne Gretzky.

Though he was an awkward skater, Marty learned to play within his limitations, and as soon as he did that he thrived. Originally a winger, Marty is best known for playing defense where he cleared creases and intimidate attacking opponents on a nightly basis. He did possess a heavy shot.
http://oilerslegends.blogspot.ca/200...-mcsorley.html

Old
03-26-2013, 06:10 PM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

Quote:
I like the Handzus pick. Was he one of the best penalty killers of all time? Probably not. But he was good at it, and he bring a lot of size and defensive ability down the middle.
Agreed. He also is one of the best shootout scorers in NHL history (since it was introduced post-lockout 2004). I dunno where the stats are, but as a Sharks fan, I've heard the announcers quote stats regarding his career scoring in shootouts. He's pretty prolific. That skill has helped him score 16 shorthanded goals. Why doesn't he score at even strength? One, he isn't very fast or creative, and isn't much of a passer. Two, he thinks defense first, so is more likely to dump the puck in than try to pass a defenseman.

Old
03-26-2013, 06:23 PM
VanIslander
Hockey in the blood.

Quote:
What years did Gut coach the Czech team? This is a pick that really needs a good bio
Agreed.

Quote:
I don't know if he's ever been picked as a coach before.
He was picked as a coach in the 2011 Double-A Draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander

Karel Gut, who has continued coaching club teams well into the independent Czech Republic era, is the first coach listed and referred to in talk of the great Czechoslovakian national teams of the 1970's with (ATD pick) Dr. Jan Starsi mentioned second in tourney records for world championships, Canada Cup and the Olympics record sheets. Gut was an all-time great player turned coach whose relationship with guru Starsi seems similar to that of Chernyshev to Tarasov, the player's coach as official head coach and the intellectual genius designing strategy. In any event, Karel Gut has been successful as coach of the Czechoslovakian team and Rensselaer has four starting Czechoslovakian players and two more on the bench so having this coach makes sense from a team chemistry standpoint as well as from an all-time great honouring perspective.

Old
03-26-2013, 07:14 PM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
Why is Barilko picked again? Is it all because he scored ONE important goal in an leaf uniform? He has no career value what so ever and is basically Garth Butcher but with no career...
He was a top Dman on a team that won 4 cups. Not drafting him would. Be worse then not drafting Pelle Lindberg who had an even shorter NHL career. He is considered the 39th greatest leaf ever to play for the greatest of all teams ever
The man is a heroic legend who scored the Stanley Cup winning goal a few weeks before he perished in an air plain en route to a fishing trip and the tragically hop made a song about him and the leafs.

Legends should be drafted in the all time draft and not relegated to the mlds.

Old
03-26-2013, 07:27 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Woit's NHL career is pretty comparable to Barilko's, right? Some GMs like to give Barilko "what if" credit because of the tragedy, though.

Old
03-26-2013, 07:36 PM
Rob Scuderi

Quote:
Woit's NHL career is pretty comparable to Barilko's, right? Some GMs like to give Barilko "what if" credit because of the tragedy, though.
I was just thinking the same thing.

Here's the only thing I read about Barilko when researching Mortson and developing a mancrush on Thomson last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Patrick - Montreal Gazette 4/12/1951
"Jim Thomson did most of the heavy work them for them, but they've got a bruising defence," he said. "Guys like Bill Barilko, [undrafted] and Fernie Flaman can hurt you if they get a good shot at you and that Gus Mortson is no Little Lord Fauntleroy. Barilko was just about their best man in the series and he didn't do a thing against us all season. We hardly noticed him. But it always seems to happen like that."
Patrick was coaching the Bruins at the time

Old
03-26-2013, 07:50 PM
Jafar
Keep it logical

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
What the ****.

Did not expect that from a GM like Reen.
What I find very funny is people trying to justify picking a total goon who isn't a top 3000 player of all-time but not taking the strongest at fighting based on the fact that he's ''not as bad a hockey player as other goons''.

Unless you pick Probert or a couple of others , might as well just pick the strongest fighter , which I think Laraque easily was when I picked him.Besides , my team isn't very injury prone , so I took the liberty of sacrificing a potentially useful spare to acquire an extremely strong fighter.Laraque will rarely be in the line-up.

In my opinion Laraque is one of the strongest fighter the NHL ever saw.

Closed Thread