HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2013 - Draft Thread VI

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2013, 09:02 AM
ck26
#freeRabbit

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
The Beezer is better than Vernon. This is just rookie trash talk.
On the board for 6 years? Check ATD 8, 9 and 10 ...

Old
03-12-2013, 09:04 AM
BubbaBoot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
With our 19th selection, the 600th in this year All-Time Draft, les Nordiques de Quebec are extremely proud to select, from Goodsoil, Saskatchewan, Canada, D Ron Greschner

''To complete our top-six on defence, we are very please to select the smooth and mobile Ron Greschner to play alongside Frantisek Tikal. The 6'02'', 205 pounds Greschner is a fantastic puckhandler, who could run a powerplay and score goals from the point with his terrific shot. Just as good in the defensive zone, Ron is one of the good two-way defenceman who played in the NHL during the 1970's & 1980's. A quiet leader who like to lead by example, he played all of his 16 NHL seasons with the New York Rangers. We are very happy to complete our defensive squad with a versatile defenceman that will be able to replace in a pinch on any defensive pairing and on any special team unit, if necessary.''
Good pick, this guy doesn't get enough love nowadays.....sort of fallen through the cracks with the average contemporary fan.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:07 AM
Stoneberg
Bored

Halifax selects Brian Engblom, D, to round out their defense.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:12 AM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by overpass View Post
The Ottawa Senators select D Robyn Regehr.

At 6'3" and 225 lbs, Regehr has been an excellent defensive defenceman and a feared hitter for over a decade. He has killed 51% of his team's penalties during his time in the NHL and has punished countless NHL forwards who have ventured into the Tunnel of Love on his side of the ice.

Regehr had a memorable peak where he received a lot of recognition around the league, starting in the 2004 Finals run by Calgary when he led Calgary defencemen in minutes played, scored 9 points, was +7, and played shutdown defence. He followed up this performance by being asked to play for Canada in the 2004 World Cup of Hockey, the 2005 World Championships, and the 2006 Winter Olympics.
You know, I've seen people poo-poo this guy and I never understood it....the guy is not flashy, and like you said, during his peak he just got the job done, consistently well, year-after-year. One thing's for sure, he's the best ever hockey player born in Brazil.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:13 AM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
Good pick, this guy doesn't get enough love nowadays.....sort of fallen through the cracks with the average contemporary fan.
We were surprise to see Greschner still available at #600. He was our BDA for quite a time now. Greschner is the prototypical 3rd pairing defenceman in the ATD who can do it all. No real weaknesses, just solid hockey for a very long period of time. Always been a fan of his, I'm very happy to finally select him after 10 drafts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneberg View Post
Halifax selects Brian Engblom, D, to round out their defense.
Engblom was #2 on our D list. Good pick.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:17 AM
BubbaBoot

Jeez, nik jr is up again....has anybody ever been skipped twice in a row?

Old
03-12-2013, 09:19 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Jeez, nik jr is up again....has anybody ever been skipped twice in a row?
Yes. At this point of the draft it's no big deal. And Nik is a good GM, he always find nice options late in the draft.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:21 AM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Engblom was #2 on our D list. Good pick.
Always wondered about Engblom.....his performance, stats-wise anyways, seemed to drop after he left those great Montreal teams. Four teams over his last five years and then he was done after putting up decent number in the first couple.....did he get injured or something?

Old
03-12-2013, 09:23 AM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Yes. At this point of the draft it's no big deal. And Nik is a good GM, he always find nice options late in the draft.
Doesn't he get auto-skipped without a clock if he has an outstanding skipped pick? I think TDMM should be up...can anyone confirm?

Old
03-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
Doesn't he get auto-skipped without a clock if he has an outstanding skipped pick? I think TDMM should be up...can anyone confirm?
Yes, GMs with outstanding picks are automatically skipped the next time they come up. TDMM is on the clock.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:25 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

604 TheDevilMadeMe - New Jersey Swamp Devils - ON THE CLOCK (5 hours, 42 minutes remaining) (PM sent)

605 BillyShoe1721- Philadelphia Flyers
606 BillyShoe1721 - Philadelphia Flyers
607 JFA87-66-99 - Pittsburgh Bankers
608 Johnny Engine - Yekaterinburg Automobilist
609 Johnny Engine - Yekaterinburg Automobilist

Old
03-12-2013, 09:30 AM
Hawkman

Quote:
... And yes, Vanbiesbrouck is a better backup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadArcand View Post
I took Liut over Vernon, and I'd take at least a dozen undrafted goalies over Vernon as well. He's a bottom-half backup. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Having seen both of them throughout their careers, I have no doubt about that whatsoever. That said,... to those who haven't seen them at all or much, an argument needs to be made. (This may be the place for stats.) There certainly hasn't been a clearly weaker Conn Smythe winner than Vernon. I was pissed as hell when they announced the default pick, as is sometimes the case when there are several candidates, the goalie is voted for. The role Vernon had in the two cup wins is... I want to say marginal, but let's say average, not top-5 on the team, just happens to be a more high profile position (he gets the wins on the backs of better players in front of him). While Vernon is a worthy backup in the draft, he sure ain't the best, and there will be 2 or 3 undrafteds who will go in the MLD who are arguably his equal in all but cup counting. (I am sure glad Vernon is drafted after Macoun, because the latter was a better defensive defenseman than the former was a goalie imo oty.)
I agree with all my esteemed colleagues.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:35 AM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
604 TheDevilMadeMe - New Jersey Swamp Devils - ON THE CLOCK (5 hours, 42 minutes remaining) (PM sent)

605 BillyShoe1721- Philadelphia Flyers
606 BillyShoe1721 - Philadelphia Flyers
607 JFA87-66-99 - Pittsburgh Bankers
608 Johnny Engine - Yekaterinburg Automobilist
609 Johnny Engine - Yekaterinburg Automobilist
This looks like it could get very interesting at this stage of the game....all in the same conference, the skipped UA Nanooks, and Philly all in the same division.

Last edited by BubbaBoot: 03-12-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old
03-12-2013, 09:38 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
We were surprise to see Greschner still available at #600. He was our BDA for quite a time now. Greschner is the prototypical 3rd pairing defenceman in the ATD who can do it all. No real weaknesses, just solid hockey for a very long period of time. Always been a fan of his, I'm very happy to finally select him after 10 drafts!
Greschner was a good player in New York, though you are overrating his defensive abilities, I think. There was a time when Greschner looked like he might become a "true #1 defenseman" for the Rangers, but he just never really turned the corner. Grech had excellent hockey sense, and could always run a powerplay, but he never had the fire that you look for in dominant athletes, and tended to let himself get beaten in situations where his size/strength/skill suggested he should win the encounter. He's fine as an all-around 3rd pairing defenseman, but his best skill is definitely QBing the powerplay. At even strength, he's nothing special at this level.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:42 AM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
This looks like it could get very interesting at this stage of the game....all in the same conference, the skipped UA Nanooks, and Philly all in the same division.
Oops wait, got the Pitts Bankers mixed up with the Pitts Athletic.....still makes for a little bit of drama though.....

Old
03-12-2013, 09:47 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Greschner was a good player in New York, though you are overrating his defensive abilities, I think. There was a time when Greschner looked like he might become a "true #1 defenseman" for the Rangers, but he just never really turned the corner. Grech had excellent hockey sense, and could always run a powerplay, but he never had the fire that you look for in dominant athletes, and tended to let himself get beaten in situations where his size/strength/skill suggested he should win the encounter. He's fine as an all-around 3rd pairing defenseman, but his best skill is definitely QBing the powerplay. At even strength, he's nothing special at this level.
From everything I've read Greschner is definitely fine enough defensively on an ATD 3rd pairing. He was definitely a better offensive player than defensively though. The negative things you are pointing out is what makes Greschner a 3rd pairing defenceman in the ATD, and not a fixture on an ATD top-4 defence.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:09 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Quote:
I'll take my very own Ed Giacomin and Rogatien Vachon over Mike Vernon at the very least. There's also a few undrafted I would definitely take before Vernon.
9 chances out of 10 I'll end up picking a backup goalie in the next round and I'll admit to looking at Vernon for that role. That said I'm in agreement with EagleBelfour here in that I'd take Giacomin or Vachon (Vachon would be a decent #1 in this IMO) over Vernon.

03-12-2013, 10:16 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
9 chances out of 10 I'll end up picking a backup goalie in the next round and I'll admit to looking at Vernon for that role. That said I'm in agreement with EagleBelfour here in that I'd take Giacomin or Vachon (Vachon would be a decent #1 in this IMO) over Vernon.
I always liked Rogatien Vachon, but how many starters would you take Vachon over them this year?

Old
03-12-2013, 10:45 AM
Hawkman

Quote:
I always liked Rogatien Vachon, but how many starters would you take Vachon over them this year?
32 if you mean how many starters would I take over Vachon. I'd take Giacomin as my last starter and Vachon as my first backup if the draft fell perfectly in the order I rank them. There's a topic about your username in the HoH. http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1371125

Old
03-12-2013, 10:48 AM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
I like Schmautzie, he was on my radar for my last pick. I wanted a bit more of a grittier presence and that was why i picked Labine, although Schmautz was a bit of a wingnut himself.
Schmautz was feisty and gritty as hell, but the guy was only 5'9'' 160-170 lbs.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:52 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
Quote:
Somehow i dont think that Nik's ability to find diamonds in the rough was Bubbas main worry.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Schmautz was feisty and gritty as hell, but the guy was only 5'9'' 160-170 lbs.
Yeah but did'nt we have some kind of general formula for that, what has he mysteriously grown to now, 6'0" 200 pounds? At least 5'11" 190 i dont remember the deal.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:56 AM
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
Somehow i dont think that Nik's ability to find diamonds in the rough was Bubbas main worry.
After the Stamkos pick, I don't think it's Nik's main worry either. I do think Nik had the best team last year and he is one of the best GMs.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:36 AM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
Hate the idea of him missing his picks and I had me a real crappy day yesterday (a real crappy last 12 months actually), with a bit of a trauma....my immediately thoughts were of concern for the well being.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:47 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I've got TDMM's pick, he selects W Rejean Houle

Closed Thread