HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3/10/13 - Game 26 - Canadiens @ Panthers

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Panthers607
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 500
****en hell Lindsay just won't shut up. Talking non-stop.

Old
03-10-2013, 07:30 PM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boooooth10 View Post
We must be everyones favorite team to play against.
we are everyone's punching bag and slump breaker , just ask Washington

Old
03-10-2013, 07:32 PM
IceManCat
#CatsAreComing

We are now the last team in the league

Old
03-10-2013, 07:34 PM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post
we are everyone's punching bag and slump breaker , just ask Washington
Wanted to say the same. Bullseye.

Old
03-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Everyone says next season we'll be healthy and such. There's no guarentees and Kuba + Jovanovski will be just that much slower.
I hope to God Jovo retires. I can't watch Kuba AND Jovo in front of Markstrom for an entire season. I'll break all my TV's.

Old
03-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
We were already before this game started.

Old
03-10-2013, 07:46 PM
Panthers607
#CatsAreComing

There cannot possibly be someone not on the tank waggon yet?
I kept hope up into the very end but now there simply is no way.

Old
03-10-2013, 07:47 PM
PBPantherfan
#draft is coming

Well Tampa must be excited they are in need of a slump buster and the Panthers will probably oblige them on Tuesday. God am I glad I didn't go to this game.

Old
03-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Dread Clawz
Auston Matthews USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Panther View Post
There cannot possibly be someone not on the tank waggon yet?
I kept hope up into the very end but now there simply is no way.

I'm just on the Don't Ruin Markstrom wagon right now.

Is it too much to ask to lose respectably?

Old
03-10-2013, 07:49 PM
CanadianPanther
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 1076
Anyone else notice the two biggest issues with this game?

1) Passing - We make the silliest passes at the worst times. Behind the backs in any zone, blind/no look passes in the offensive zone giving up puck possesion, up the boards in the defensive zone when no winger is there, stretch passes that ONLY THE KID LINE CAN CONNECT ON, soft passes, horrible dump and chase passes, telegraphed passes and my favourite is the 2 foot high pass that ends up in an icing. We also miss the net a ton when shooting.

Solution: PRACTICE gauging the passing power while looking and communicating.

2) Defensive Attack - Our defense literally lets the opponent skate into our zone when they should be attacking at the blue line to force offsides or lay a hit once in a while and seperate the man from the puck. The defense just glide backwards until they screen Markstrom and the opponent has a free shot on a screened Markstrom. An guesstimation would be that we get out-shot 90% of our games because of this.

Solution: Lay a hit/Seperate the man from the puck OR force the play at the blue line and stop gliding backwards until 10 feet from our net.

Old
03-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Ghoste
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPanther View Post

1) Passing - We make the silliest passes at the worst times. Behind the backs in any zone, blind/no look passes in the offensive zone giving up puck possesion, up the boards in the defensive zone when no winger is there, stretch passes that ONLY THE KID LINE CAN CONNECT ON, soft passes, horrible dump and chase passes, telegraphed passes and my favourite is the 2 foot high pass that ends up in an icing. We also miss the net a ton when shooting.

2) Defensive Attack - Our defense literally lets the opponent skate into our zone when they should be attacking at the blue line to force offsides or lay a hit once in a while and seperate the man from the puck. The defense just glide backwards until they screen Markstrom and the opponent has a free shot on a screened Markstrom. An guesstimation would be that we get out-shot 90% of our games because of this.

Solution: Lay a hit/Seperate the man from the puck OR force the play at the blue line and stop gliding backwards until 10 feet from our net.
That has always been way, letting the opposition gain easy entry. There was one instance where our defenseman was telling our back-checking forward to get the forward coming at him. Haha

-ghoste

Old
03-10-2013, 09:14 PM
floridashawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
This is a good thing! Worse thing you can be in this league is a mediocre team and pick 10-15th. If we cant be a playoff team, which is evident, i want a top 3 pick.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Benched

Slept through the game. Thank god I did.

That turnover by Versteeg that led to a goal was awful.

Everything else that happened was awful (except Matthias' goal; he continues to impress).

We can't even win when we have one of their players momentarily playing for us.

Also, I know he had very little help from this "defense" but Markstrom really needs to stop giving up goals ~5 minutes in to a game. Even on good teams, that's a great way to lead your team to a loss. And a lot of the early goals that are going in are his fault, including tonight.

We're really bad.

Last edited by Benched: 03-10-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old
03-10-2013, 09:37 PM
PSLguy
#catsarecoming

Just got home from the game. What a disapointment. Felt like I was at a Panthers away game. We were surrounded by Canadien fans speaking French.

It seems like Markstrom has to warm up - that first goal went right over his glove.

Panthers were never able to set up in the offensive zone. It was dump, chase, flee back on defense. They could never get into the flow of the game. Defensemen, including Gudbranson, didn't protect the blue line with any consistency and allowed their man to get around them - sometimes with apparent ease. I wonder if he is worried about his shoulder.

Met with Yormark prior to the game at a fan forum. About 15 persons there asking questions. The big topic was the scoreboard. He said there will be a new one in place prior to next season and the screens will be 4 1/2 the size of the current one. He compared it to Pittsburgh's scoreboard, only the new one will be slightly bigger. Also, they are working with Verizon to improve cell service inside the arena as well as wi-fi. Game time starts were discussed and earlier weekend starts were management's preference; such as the 3pm Saturday and Sunday starts.

People complained about the concerts offered to season seat holders and asked if hockey related events could be offered instead - we were told that yes, there would be options.

Sorry for the long post! I just thought I'd fill folks in in the meeting.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:49 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSLguy View Post
Just got home from the game. What a disapointment. Felt like I was at a Panthers away game. We were surrounded by Canadien fans speaking French.

It seems like Markstrom has to warm up - that first goal went right over his glove.

Panthers were never able to set up in the offensive zone. It was dump, chase, flee back on defense. They could never get into the flow of the game. Defensemen, including Gudbranson, didn't protect the blue line with any consistency and allowed their man to get around them - sometimes with apparent ease. I wonder if he is worried about his shoulder.

Met with Yormark prior to the game at a fan forum. About 15 persons there asking questions. The big topic was the scoreboard. He said there will be a new one in place prior to next season and the screens will be 4 1/2 the size of the current one. He compared it to Pittsburgh's scoreboard, only the new one will be slightly bigger. Also, they are working with Verizon to improve cell service inside the arena as well as wi-fi. Game time starts were discussed and earlier weekend starts were management's preference; such as the 3pm Saturday and Sunday starts.

People complained about the concerts offered to season seat holders and asked if hockey related events could be offered instead - we were told that yes, there would be options.

That's great if true.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:52 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
That's great if true.
Ya.. That'd be amazing! Maybe they'd actually show highlights.. Doubtful, most likely just HD advertisements.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:53 PM
Benched

I can't help but think that even if we were mostly healthy, we'd still be playing like ****. No one on this team except Hubs is playing up to their potential on a nightly basis. We see flashes from Markstrom, Shore, Skille, Matthias once every three games. Then they go back to being their very frustrating 2012 selves the next game. It really is maddening watching players you know are good play like ****.

I'd like to think guys like Caruso and Bergenheim and a fully healthy Weiss might have had some sort of positive impact on this team but realistically, I highly doubt it would be enough to make us the team we were last year. This group is just playing with absolutely zero heart and desire to win.

Keep the core, blow it up, draft MacKinnon, start fresh.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Panthersfan1989
#CatsAreComing

Was club red talked about at this meeting with yormark

Old
03-10-2013, 10:01 PM
Erick*

Nevermind

Old
03-10-2013, 11:13 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

I like how all of that sounds. Hopefully it happens.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:10 AM
zeroG

vCash: 540
gr tweeted

Quote:
For seventh time in past nine games #FlaPanthers give up first goal; in previous six (five losses), Cats trailed by average of 3-0
not going to beat a dead horse but will just say that this is truly an astonishing factoid. it is also completely unacceptable. and it only got worse with today's shellacking. there is no way this roster which sleep-walked through parts of last season and played poorly quite often yet still made the playoffs is this much worse. injuries are a factor, sure, but if you just look at these numbers, you'd think we are literally icing an AHL team. this team is not competing at all.

having said that... let the tank roll! (and heads roll come april)

Old
03-11-2013, 02:59 AM
zeroG

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPanther View Post

haven't seen many games this year and haven't tried to analyze this but what you are talking about is technically called gap control and it's something that defensemen are (or should be) drilled on all the time. the general rule is that you need to close the gap between yourself and the attacker(s) to one stick length by the top of the defensive zone and force the attacker wide. one thing that might be causing poor gap control (aside from lack of confidence/fear of being beaten to the net) is poor back pressure: if the forwards aren't putting pressure on the attackers from the back side, the D are going to be hesitant to "step up", "gap up" or close the gap because they can see that they won't have any help when the attacker tries to skate around them and get to the net. the back pressure applied by forwards coming back defensively has the effect of limiting the attacker's time and space. with little back pressure, the attackers can slow up after entering the zone and increase the gap, giving themselves more time and space to make plays.

what i've seen a lot of with this team is the forwards losing discipline and getting caught low in the attacking zone. that leads to odd-man rushes with no back pressure and puts a lot of pressure on the defenders in terms of gap control. maybe something to look for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
That has always been way, letting the opposition gain easy entry. There was one instance where our defenseman was telling our back-checking forward to get the forward coming at him. Haha

-ghoste
when you see a Dman point out an attacker to the back-checking forward, it means the Dman has made the decision to pick up a more dangerous attacker and is giving over coverage of other attacker to the back-checker. it happens all the time and is a critical example of communication in transition defense.

Old
03-11-2013, 06:53 AM
PSLguy
#catsarecoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudbranson4Prez View Post
Ya.. That'd be amazing! Maybe they'd actually show highlights.. Doubtful, most likely just HD advertisements.
He explained that the electronics in the control room would also be updated and this is why the replays are not very good. The replays would improve, and more would be shown, when the scoreboard and control room were updated.

Club Red was also discussed.He was unapologetic about it and stated it was purely a business decision. He stated it was 72% sold and many people stay in the back eating and watching the game, as well as other games, on the televisions. The way it looked on television was mentioned and he stated that after a trip to a Capitals game he noticed that the tv camera angle only showed the first 6 or so rows. Looking into it he found that the cameras shot at a downward angle so he had Fox change their angle so that tv viewers did not see the empty seats.

Old
03-11-2013, 07:06 AM
RampageNate
HFB Partner

Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Quote:
Looking into it he found that the cameras shot at a downward angle so he had Fox change their angle so that tv viewers did not see the empty seats.
Holy...crap...

Old
03-11-2013, 08:54 AM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

I love how many of Zero's posts alwys have 'I didn't watch..or haven't watched,' but we always get the above.