Notices

TRADE: Wpg & Cbs: Goodbye Machacek, Hello Kubalik

Old
03-10-2013, 01:09 PM
Boreal

vCash: 500
TRADE: Wpg & Cbs: Goodbye Machacek, Hello Kubalik

Winnipeg and Columbus.

http://illegalcurve.com Check their twitter feed.

Mod add, official TSN story.
http://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre/story/?id=417845

Quote:
The Winnipeg Jets acquired forward Tomas Kubalik from the Columbus Blue Jackets on Sunday in exchange for forward Spencer Machacek.

Last edited by Holden Caulfield: 03-10-2013 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Columbus is cbs, not col...added TSN story
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:09 PM
JetsHomer

Spencer Machacek for Tomas Kubalik

From Joe Pascucci. "Jets have acquired F Tomas Kubalik from Blue Jackets for Spencer Macahcek"

JetsHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:11 PM
Jet
Spoiled Rotten

vCash: 50
Thank God. Fresh start for Macho, and we get something in return.

03-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Boreal

The skinny on Kubalik.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/tomas_kubalik/

History

2007-08: Kubalik spent another season splitting time between the Czech junior and senior leagues. He was again a top scorer when playing against juniors. Against men he improved his play this season, although was still used sparingly. Kubalik was tied for the tournament lead in goals at the U18 WJC (1A Division), helping the Czech team advance to the top division for 2009.

2008-09: In 32 games with the senior team, scored just two points and posted 64 penalty minutes.

2009-10: In his first North American season, Kubalik appeared in 58 games with the Victoriaville Tigres. He scored 33 goals and 42 assists for 75 points. He also chipped in a team-leading 95 PIMs. In 16 playoff games with the Tigres, Kubalik added 4 goals and 10 assists to his point totals.

2010-11: Kubalik made his NHL debut as a 20-year-old and had two assists in a late-season overtime loss to Washington in the first of four games he would play with the Blue Jackets. Averaging just over 14 minutes of ice time, he was -3 in his brief stint with Columbus. Kubalik led Columbus' AHL affiliate in goals and points, scoring 24 goals with 29 assists in 76 games. He finished the season with a -7 plus/minus and had 43 PMs for the Falcons, who failed to reach the AHL playoffs.

2011-12: Kubalik fell short of the Jackets’ opening day roster for the second straight year and began the season in Springfield. He didn’t show the same promise he did his rookie season averaging .46 points per game, down from his .69 totals from the year prior. He was an emergency call up when Mark Letestu broke his hand. He scored a goal and set up another before being sent back down to Springfield 15 days later. He finished the year out in Springfield with an unimpressive 23 points in 50 games.

Talent Analysis

Kubalik is a chippy forward, always in the middle of scrums. He plays with a bit of an edge, but also brings skill. He is not afraid to go to the net and score dirty goals. Kubalik must continue to work on his skating. He owns a good shot. He needs to continue to develop his physical game, and must increase his strength to compete with bigger stronger players.

Future

This could be the season that Kubalik can crack the Blue Jackets’ roster, but it isn’t going to be easy. He is a role player and plays a chippy game similar to the newly acquired Brandon Dubinsky. If he doesn’t start the season with Columbus he will eventually get the call up and could appear in as many as 40 games.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:14 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Kubalik can take Tangradi or Thorburns roster spot ASAP

PS Pavs has a buddy now

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:16 PM
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
Like it! was obvious Mahacheck was not a fit here

bigplay41* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:16 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

I'm not sure how I feel about this deal.
I never loved Macho, but I also thought he had the ability to be a decent third liner. I'll have to do some reading about Kubalik before I pass judgement.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:17 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Hopefully a fresh start for both of them will help their games, and give them a chance within the new orgs

YWGinYYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Hate to see macho go but at least now he has a chance to play in the NHL.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:20 PM
JacketsFanWest

Columbus fans are really hoping Kubalik can turn things around in Winnipeg. He looked great early on in his pro career. He's never going to wow anyone with his skating ability, but he's the type of player a team needs with skill that can win puck battles in the corners and plant himself in the crease.

He was skating on a line with Nash in the beginning of the 2011 season, then got a concussion (coincidentally, against the Jets) and has struggled to get his game back since. He's healthy now and hopefully the change of scenery will be beneficial.

JacketsFanWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Boreal

I do not dislike this trade. Kuby can play a little, and it was for certain that Chevy was not a Macho fan.

Old
Holden Caulfield
Global Moderator
The Eternal Skeptic

Kubalik is an interesting case. Much like Machacek he always seemed to be on the brink of cracking the roster, but has never been able to take that step and seems to be regressing in AHL. Will grind it out. Don't see him as much more than a 4th liner, but meh.

This is just the just moving on from Machacek whom they had a vendetta against. He should finally get his NHL chance thankfully.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:21 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Yet another stupid, stupid move by Cheveldayoff. Machacek has been fantastic every single time he has been called up to the NHL. Kubalik is trash, and not even good enough to make the worst team in the league.

Chevy needs to be fired this summer. Every time he makes a move of any kind, it's a stupid move.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Boreal

I hear Cheveldayoff can't even tie his shoes or button up his shirt. I understand that he got the GM job by winning a dice game with Chipman and Thomson.

Old
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Airlines View Post
Yet another stupid, stupid move by Cheveldayoff. Machacek has been fantastic every single time he has been called up to the NHL. Kubalik is trash, and not even good enough to make the worst team in the league.

Chevy needs to be fired this summer. Every time he makes a move of any kind, it's a stupid move.
Hilarious. Spencer Machacek is a career minor leaguer who cleared waivers a month and a half ago, and you think trading him is grounds for a franchise shakeup. So funny.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Diatidialga

Quote:
Yet another stupid, stupid move by Cheveldayoff. Machacek has been fantastic every single time he has been called up to the NHL.Kubalik is trash, and not even good enough to make the worst team in the league.

Just like when he made the team during training camp.....

Wait.

Diatidialga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:25 PM
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Golie View Post
Hilarious. Spencer Machacek is a career minor leaguer who cleared waivers a month and a half ago, and you think trading him is grounds for a franchise shakeup. So funny.
agreed, doubt this is a trade we will regret

Old
03-10-2013, 01:25 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:

Fire him because of a swap of two players whose upside is at most 3rd or 4th line?

Old
03-10-2013, 01:28 PM
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Fire him because of a swap of two players whose upside is at most 3rd or 4th line?
No kidding the fact we even got something for him is impressive. Forgot that he cleared waivers if he was anything special im sure another team would of put a claim in on him

Old
03-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Fire him because he's the worst GM in the NHL. This is just another idiotic move in a long line of them from one of the worst GM's I've ever watched.

Bring back Don Waddell.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:32 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

Quote:
Fire him because he's the worst GM in the NHL. This is just another idiotic move in a long line of them from one of the worst GM's I've ever watched.

Bring back Don Waddell.
I needed a good laugh today.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Le Golie

Quote:

Bring back Don Waddell.
Obviously you are just trolling. Nobody could be this clueless unintentionally.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:35 PM
almostawake

Quote:

Bring back Don Waddell.
I appreciate balanced assessments like this one. More NHL teams should be run this way.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:37 PM
GoldenJet89

i wonder if kubalik will get a chance to show his stuff sooner rather than later

seems like he could be a good fit on the 4th line. guys like tangradi and wellwood certainly havent shown so much that theyre cemented in the lineup at this point.

kubalik if i remember correctly isnt the fastest guy, but the description seemed to sum up his play well.. kind of scrappy, definitely always involved in the action.

if he can provide more "spark" than thorburn or tangradi then im all for seeing what he can do at this point

GoldenJet89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 01:38 PM
Canadienjet

Quote:

Bring back Don Waddell.
Unlike you I have watched Machacek for the past two years and good riddance.

Guy didn't want to be here.Simply put.

Was at IceCaps fan fest when I found out.Did not know he left my cousin was looking for him.

Canadienjet is offline   Reply With Quote