HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelers Draft OLB Jarvis Jones

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-15-2013, 12:40 PM
  #351
WarriorScholar
Registered User
 
WarriorScholar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
I don't understand why he didn't just get a 2nd round tender at least. They had to know Wallace was as good as gone.
Because they probably knew nobody would touch him with that. If the pats do sign, and steelers don't match....they knew what they were doing all along. Out with the fragile , in with the tough

WarriorScholar is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 12:46 PM
  #352
Dylonus
Registered User
 
Dylonus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 10,241
vCash: 500
Teams would definitely touch him with that tender, especially New England. Sanders is still quite raw and has a ton of potential. He'll shine in somewhere like San Francisco or New England.

Teams were going to offer a 1st for Wallace last year. The whole "Fitzgerald money" made teams shy away.

Dylonus is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 12:49 PM
  #353
sniugneP
Registered User
 
sniugneP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
Brown/Cotchery/Plax have a lot of experience between them. If we draft a burner it doesn't take too much experience to run a fly pattern. I'm not saying these (potential) WR losses are enviable, but I'm all for drafting players with better attitudes.
Plax and Cotchery aren't starters. If Sanders leaves, we would have to get 2 receivers from draft. Brown would end up being double coverage all the time with rookies on other side. What's more, Miller may not be ready at beginning of the season.

sniugneP is online now  
Old
03-15-2013, 12:52 PM
  #354
sniugneP
Registered User
 
sniugneP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
I don't understand why he didn't just get a 2nd round tender at least. They had to know Wallace was as good as gone.
It's either a 3rd rounder tender or 1st and 3rd rounder tender, I think. (I'm not sure what is new CBA rules for tender offers.). They can't offer more money to Sanders since they're under tight cap.

sniugneP is online now  
Old
03-15-2013, 12:53 PM
  #355
WarriorScholar
Registered User
 
WarriorScholar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
Teams would definitely touch him with that tender, especially New England. Sanders is still quite raw and has a ton of potential. He'll shine in somewhere like San Francisco or New England.

Teams were going to offer a 1st for Wallace last year. The whole "Fitzgerald money" made teams shy away.
So you're saying if he stays you have high expectations for him then right? Something like 70 catches , 1000 yards , 8 tds ? He'd have no excuse since he'd be a starter. Even saw a lot more playing time last year and still only had 1 td. And failed to make big catches in our key losses down the stretch. Like I said, I don't like the guy...but not going to blast people that do. Would just like to know what the expectations are. I see a Cedric Wilson out there, nothing more than that. He actually resembles him tremendously.

WarriorScholar is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 12:56 PM
  #356
sniugneP
Registered User
 
sniugneP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
Because they probably knew nobody would touch him with that. If the pats do sign, and steelers don't match....they knew what they were doing all along. Out with the fragile , in with the tough
I really doubt Steelers want Sanders gone especially after Wallace left. They simply can't offer any more money to Sanders due to cap.

sniugneP is online now  
Old
03-15-2013, 12:57 PM
  #357
Dylonus
Registered User
 
Dylonus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 10,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
So you're saying if he stays you have high expectations for him then right? Something like 70 catches , 1000 yards , 8 tds ? He'd have no excuse since he'd be a starter. Even saw a lot more playing time last year and still only had 1 td. And failed to make big catches in our key losses down the stretch. Like I said, I don't like the guy...but not going to blast people that do. Would just like to know what the expectations are. I see a Cedric Wilson out there, nothing more than that. He actually resembles him tremendously.
Absolutely. He's shown he has the potential. Staying healthy was a huge issue. Of course, everyone underachieved last season.

I don't see why he can't be a successful starting WR. He's got speed, route-running abilities, can make tough catches, can get YAC as well. Dude can throw good blocks, too.

Dylonus is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 01:01 PM
  #358
sniugneP
Registered User
 
sniugneP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
Absolutely. He's shown he has the potential. Staying healthy was a huge issue. Of course, everyone underachieved last season.

I don't see why he can't be a successful starting WR. He's got speed, route-running abilities, can make tough catches, can get YAC as well. Dude can throw good blocks, too.
Agreed. I think he's poised for a breakout season as long as he's healthy.

sniugneP is online now  
Old
03-15-2013, 01:14 PM
  #359
Shockmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,830
vCash: 500
The Steelers have really ****ed up ever since Dan Rooney went over to Ireland. This kind of salary cap hell and most of the players acting like entitled punks never happened under his watch. Hopefully he'll be putting the leash back on his son soon.

Shockmaster is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 01:21 PM
  #360
WarriorScholar
Registered User
 
WarriorScholar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
Absolutely. He's shown he has the potential. Staying healthy was a huge issue. Of course, everyone underachieved last season.

I don't see why he can't be a successful starting WR. He's got speed, route-running abilities, can make tough catches, can get YAC as well. Dude can throw good blocks, too.
Ok that's what I wanted to hear. I disagree, I think he would disappoint but that's my opinion. The way I was already looking at it was we didn't sign him long term( just tendered so will be ufa next year ) so no matter what he does this season , he is as good as gone the following year. If he has a great year like you're predicting..like Keenan Lewis....goodbye. I already that mindset when we only tendered him. So now that I heard the pats could sign and we could get a 3rd round and 1.3 mil in cap space? Sign me up for that.

WarriorScholar is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 01:30 PM
  #361
Flat Stanley
Registered User
 
Flat Stanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,935
vCash: 500
I would take the 3rd round pick and sign Steve Breaston.

This draft is deep, we can use that pick to address another need and roll with Brown, Breaston, Cotchery, Burress, and another WR.

Flat Stanley is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 01:31 PM
  #362
SteelFish87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
Ok that's what I wanted to hear. I disagree, I think he would disappoint but that's my opinion. The way I was already looking at it was we didn't sign him long term( just tendered so will be ufa next year ) so no matter what he does this season , he is as good as gone the following year. If he has a great year like you're predicting..like Keenan Lewis....goodbye. I already that mindset when we only tendered him. So now that I heard the pats could sign and we could get a 3rd round and 1.3 mil in cap space? Sign me up for that.
he plays well for us this year in a starting role that we do not have anyone else to fill, then he gets signed elsewhere, then we get a comp pick

sign me up for that. we need him now

SteelFish87 is online now  
Old
03-15-2013, 01:37 PM
  #363
WarriorScholar
Registered User
 
WarriorScholar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,674
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
he plays well for us this year in a starting role that we do not have anyone else to fill, then he gets signed elsewhere, then we get a comp pick

sign me up for that. we need him now
I understand that . Would get a 4th round comp pick if he has a great year and a team signs him for at least 5 mil a season. Again I don't see it happening, was far too disappointed in him in games down the stretch that we needed to make the playoffs, but that's me. He could prove me wrong

WarriorScholar is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 01:41 PM
  #364
Dylonus
Registered User
 
Dylonus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 10,241
vCash: 500
Dark horse here; why havn't we signed DHB?

He played with an awful Oakland team last year and didn't get to produce much, but the year before he had 65 catches and nearly 1,000 yards.

Put him in an offense with a real QB and he'll progress. He's got amazing speed and he's a taller than normal WR (JUST under 6'3")

Dylonus is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 01:43 PM
  #365
SteelFish87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
I understand that . Would get a 4th round comp pick if he has a great year and a team signs him for at least 5 mil a season. Again I don't see it happening, was far too disappointed in him in games down the stretch that we needed to make the playoffs, but that's me. He could prove me wrong
I agree, Im not high on him either but we don't have anyone else. cant rely on the draft when we have many needs. we don't have the money to sign someone else

SteelFish87 is online now  
Old
03-15-2013, 01:44 PM
  #366
SteelFish87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
Dark horse here; why havn't we signed DHB?
because we don't have room under the salary cap?

id like us to sign DHB also

SteelFish87 is online now  
Old
03-15-2013, 01:50 PM
  #367
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck
 
Dick Sledge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Trapped in Kinect 2
Country: United States
Posts: 3,142
vCash: 500
If we lose Sanders it's almost a guarantee we take one of the top receivers in the first. Trade back for Hunter or Hopkins would be nice. Pick up even more picks.

The only way I see otherwise if someone like a Jones falls.

Dick Sledge is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 02:25 PM
  #368
AgentM
Registered User
 
AgentM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Allison Park, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Sledge View Post
If we lose Sanders it's almost a guarantee we take one of the top receivers in the first. Trade back for Hunter or Hopkins would be nice. Pick up even more picks.

The only way I see otherwise if someone like a Jones falls.
I really like Keenan Allen from Cal, definitely the best hands of any of the WR's in the draft. If we take one in the first round I hope that its him.

If Jones is there though he's the pick for me, no questions asked. Then go for Swope in the 2nd round and then Christine Michael (RB - Texas A&M) in the 3rd.

Actually it would be funny if we ended up with all Aggies in the first 3 rounds:

1st - Damontre Moore - LB
2nd - Ryan Swope - WR
3rd - Christine Michael - RB

AgentM is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 02:50 PM
  #369
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck
 
Dick Sledge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Trapped in Kinect 2
Country: United States
Posts: 3,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
I really like Keenan Allen from Cal, definitely the best hands of any of the WR's in the draft. If we take one in the first round I hope that its him.

If Jones is there though he's the pick for me, no questions asked. Then go for Swope in the 2nd round and then Christine Michael (RB - Texas A&M) in the 3rd.

Actually it would be funny if we ended up with all Aggies in the first 3 rounds:

1st - Damontre Moore - LB
2nd - Ryan Swope - WR
3rd - Christine Michael - RB
Allen can definitely be the pick at 17. I'm saying if we can trade back and pick up another 3rd rounder then I like Hunter or Hopkins if Allen isn't available.

I think with how deep this WR class is I actually think Swope can be had in the 3rd. And I'd love me some Swope.

Say we lose Sanders and get a second 3rd and trade back for a 3rd 3rd.

1st. Hopkins
2nd. Swearinger
3rd. Franklin
3rd. Simon
3rd. Swope/Honey Badger

I know it's not happening but it's fun to fantasize while we still can.

Dick Sledge is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 03:01 PM
  #370
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä
 
Captain Hook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 12,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
I would take the 3rd round pick and sign Steve Breaston.

This draft is deep, we can use that pick to address another need and roll with Brown, Breaston, Cotchery, Burress, and another WR.
You'd have to think the Steelers will do something like that if Sanders leaves. Wallace and Sanders both leaving is just too much to lose without signing a veteran WR to replace some of the production.

Captain Hook is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 03:05 PM
  #371
Pens1566
Registered User
 
Pens1566's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: WV
Country: United States
Posts: 11,377
vCash: 500
Stedman Bailey might be available with that 3rd we'd pick up. He's arguably already better than Sanders.

Pens1566 is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 03:14 PM
  #372
Mordax
Abso-Buc'n-lutely
 
Mordax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,285
vCash: 500
Colon to the Jets. One year deal, $1.2 million. Likely starter at guard

Mordax is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 03:37 PM
  #373
UnrealMachine
Registered User
 
UnrealMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566 View Post
Stedman Bailey might be available with that 3rd we'd pick up. He's arguably already better than Sanders.
Thumbs up. Hard to find a more consistent OR more productive receiver over the last 2 seasons. And that was all while being #2 to Tavon Austin.

UnrealMachine is online now  
Old
03-15-2013, 03:39 PM
  #374
Dylonus
Registered User
 
Dylonus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 10,241
vCash: 500
@AntonioBrown84
Guess AB the last man standing ! #SteelersNation


Uh oh.

Dylonus is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 03:40 PM
  #375
OnMyOwn
Extremist
 
OnMyOwn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: State College
Country: United States
Posts: 8,758
vCash: 500
Someone needs ****ing fired that is responsible for this mess of a team.

OnMyOwn is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.