HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelers Draft OLB Jarvis Jones

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 12:40 PM
WarriorScholar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
I don't understand why he didn't just get a 2nd round tender at least. They had to know Wallace was as good as gone.
Because they probably knew nobody would touch him with that. If the pats do sign, and steelers don't match....they knew what they were doing all along. Out with the fragile , in with the tough

Old
03-15-2013, 12:46 PM
Dylonus

Teams would definitely touch him with that tender, especially New England. Sanders is still quite raw and has a ton of potential. He'll shine in somewhere like San Francisco or New England.

Teams were going to offer a 1st for Wallace last year. The whole "Fitzgerald money" made teams shy away.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:49 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
Brown/Cotchery/Plax have a lot of experience between them. If we draft a burner it doesn't take too much experience to run a fly pattern. I'm not saying these (potential) WR losses are enviable, but I'm all for drafting players with better attitudes.
Plax and Cotchery aren't starters. If Sanders leaves, we would have to get 2 receivers from draft. Brown would end up being double coverage all the time with rookies on other side. What's more, Miller may not be ready at beginning of the season.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:52 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
I don't understand why he didn't just get a 2nd round tender at least. They had to know Wallace was as good as gone.
It's either a 3rd rounder tender or 1st and 3rd rounder tender, I think. (I'm not sure what is new CBA rules for tender offers.). They can't offer more money to Sanders since they're under tight cap.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:53 PM
WarriorScholar

Quote:
Teams would definitely touch him with that tender, especially New England. Sanders is still quite raw and has a ton of potential. He'll shine in somewhere like San Francisco or New England.

Teams were going to offer a 1st for Wallace last year. The whole "Fitzgerald money" made teams shy away.
So you're saying if he stays you have high expectations for him then right? Something like 70 catches , 1000 yards , 8 tds ? He'd have no excuse since he'd be a starter. Even saw a lot more playing time last year and still only had 1 td. And failed to make big catches in our key losses down the stretch. Like I said, I don't like the guy...but not going to blast people that do. Would just like to know what the expectations are. I see a Cedric Wilson out there, nothing more than that. He actually resembles him tremendously.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:56 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTwoTimes View Post
Because they probably knew nobody would touch him with that. If the pats do sign, and steelers don't match....they knew what they were doing all along. Out with the fragile , in with the tough
I really doubt Steelers want Sanders gone especially after Wallace left. They simply can't offer any more money to Sanders due to cap.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:57 PM
Dylonus

Quote:
So you're saying if he stays you have high expectations for him then right? Something like 70 catches , 1000 yards , 8 tds ? He'd have no excuse since he'd be a starter. Even saw a lot more playing time last year and still only had 1 td. And failed to make big catches in our key losses down the stretch. Like I said, I don't like the guy...but not going to blast people that do. Would just like to know what the expectations are. I see a Cedric Wilson out there, nothing more than that. He actually resembles him tremendously.
Absolutely. He's shown he has the potential. Staying healthy was a huge issue. Of course, everyone underachieved last season.

I don't see why he can't be a successful starting WR. He's got speed, route-running abilities, can make tough catches, can get YAC as well. Dude can throw good blocks, too.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:01 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Absolutely. He's shown he has the potential. Staying healthy was a huge issue. Of course, everyone underachieved last season.

I don't see why he can't be a successful starting WR. He's got speed, route-running abilities, can make tough catches, can get YAC as well. Dude can throw good blocks, too.
Agreed. I think he's poised for a breakout season as long as he's healthy.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:14 PM
Shockmaster

The Steelers have really ****ed up ever since Dan Rooney went over to Ireland. This kind of salary cap hell and most of the players acting like entitled punks never happened under his watch. Hopefully he'll be putting the leash back on his son soon.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:21 PM
WarriorScholar

Quote:

Ok that's what I wanted to hear. I disagree, I think he would disappoint but that's my opinion. The way I was already looking at it was we didn't sign him long term( just tendered so will be ufa next year ) so no matter what he does this season , he is as good as gone the following year. If he has a great year like you're predicting..like Keenan Lewis....goodbye. I already that mindset when we only tendered him. So now that I heard the pats could sign and we could get a 3rd round and 1.3 mil in cap space? Sign me up for that.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:30 PM
Flat Stanley

I would take the 3rd round pick and sign Steve Breaston.

This draft is deep, we can use that pick to address another need and roll with Brown, Breaston, Cotchery, Burress, and another WR.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:31 PM
SteelFish87

Quote:
Ok that's what I wanted to hear. I disagree, I think he would disappoint but that's my opinion. The way I was already looking at it was we didn't sign him long term( just tendered so will be ufa next year ) so no matter what he does this season , he is as good as gone the following year. If he has a great year like you're predicting..like Keenan Lewis....goodbye. I already that mindset when we only tendered him. So now that I heard the pats could sign and we could get a 3rd round and 1.3 mil in cap space? Sign me up for that.
he plays well for us this year in a starting role that we do not have anyone else to fill, then he gets signed elsewhere, then we get a comp pick

sign me up for that. we need him now

Old
03-15-2013, 01:37 PM
WarriorScholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
he plays well for us this year in a starting role that we do not have anyone else to fill, then he gets signed elsewhere, then we get a comp pick

sign me up for that. we need him now
I understand that . Would get a 4th round comp pick if he has a great year and a team signs him for at least 5 mil a season. Again I don't see it happening, was far too disappointed in him in games down the stretch that we needed to make the playoffs, but that's me. He could prove me wrong

Old
03-15-2013, 01:41 PM
Dylonus

Dark horse here; why havn't we signed DHB?

He played with an awful Oakland team last year and didn't get to produce much, but the year before he had 65 catches and nearly 1,000 yards.

Put him in an offense with a real QB and he'll progress. He's got amazing speed and he's a taller than normal WR (JUST under 6'3")

Old
03-15-2013, 01:43 PM
SteelFish87

Quote:
I understand that . Would get a 4th round comp pick if he has a great year and a team signs him for at least 5 mil a season. Again I don't see it happening, was far too disappointed in him in games down the stretch that we needed to make the playoffs, but that's me. He could prove me wrong
I agree, Im not high on him either but we don't have anyone else. cant rely on the draft when we have many needs. we don't have the money to sign someone else

Old
03-15-2013, 01:44 PM
SteelFish87

Quote:
Dark horse here; why havn't we signed DHB?
because we don't have room under the salary cap?

id like us to sign DHB also

Old
03-15-2013, 01:50 PM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

If we lose Sanders it's almost a guarantee we take one of the top receivers in the first. Trade back for Hunter or Hopkins would be nice. Pick up even more picks.

The only way I see otherwise if someone like a Jones falls.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:25 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Sledge View Post
If we lose Sanders it's almost a guarantee we take one of the top receivers in the first. Trade back for Hunter or Hopkins would be nice. Pick up even more picks.

The only way I see otherwise if someone like a Jones falls.
I really like Keenan Allen from Cal, definitely the best hands of any of the WR's in the draft. If we take one in the first round I hope that its him.

If Jones is there though he's the pick for me, no questions asked. Then go for Swope in the 2nd round and then Christine Michael (RB - Texas A&M) in the 3rd.

Actually it would be funny if we ended up with all Aggies in the first 3 rounds:

1st - Damontre Moore - LB
2nd - Ryan Swope - WR
3rd - Christine Michael - RB

Old
03-15-2013, 02:50 PM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
I really like Keenan Allen from Cal, definitely the best hands of any of the WR's in the draft. If we take one in the first round I hope that its him.

If Jones is there though he's the pick for me, no questions asked. Then go for Swope in the 2nd round and then Christine Michael (RB - Texas A&M) in the 3rd.

Actually it would be funny if we ended up with all Aggies in the first 3 rounds:

1st - Damontre Moore - LB
2nd - Ryan Swope - WR
3rd - Christine Michael - RB
Allen can definitely be the pick at 17. I'm saying if we can trade back and pick up another 3rd rounder then I like Hunter or Hopkins if Allen isn't available.

I think with how deep this WR class is I actually think Swope can be had in the 3rd. And I'd love me some Swope.

Say we lose Sanders and get a second 3rd and trade back for a 3rd 3rd.

1st. Hopkins
2nd. Swearinger
3rd. Franklin
3rd. Simon
3rd. Swope/Honey Badger

I know it's not happening but it's fun to fantasize while we still can.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:01 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
I would take the 3rd round pick and sign Steve Breaston.

This draft is deep, we can use that pick to address another need and roll with Brown, Breaston, Cotchery, Burress, and another WR.
You'd have to think the Steelers will do something like that if Sanders leaves. Wallace and Sanders both leaving is just too much to lose without signing a veteran WR to replace some of the production.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Pens1566

Stedman Bailey might be available with that 3rd we'd pick up. He's arguably already better than Sanders.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:14 PM
Mordax
Abso-Buc'n-lutely

Colon to the Jets. One year deal, $1.2 million. Likely starter at guard

Old
03-15-2013, 03:37 PM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pens1566 View Post
Stedman Bailey might be available with that 3rd we'd pick up. He's arguably already better than Sanders.
Thumbs up. Hard to find a more consistent OR more productive receiver over the last 2 seasons. And that was all while being #2 to Tavon Austin.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:39 PM
Dylonus

@AntonioBrown84
Guess AB the last man standing ! #SteelersNation

Uh oh.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:40 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

Someone needs ****ing fired that is responsible for this mess of a team.

Closed Thread