HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelers Draft OLB Jarvis Jones

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2013, 07:02 AM
seabs926

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
This draft is deep at safety. Drafting one early is a mistake. Get a NT in round 1 or 2 and one of the top pass rushers in one of those two rounds as well.

Round 1 - Jesse Williams
Round 2 - Jamie Collins
Round 3 - Eric Reid

Is it your goal to have the worst offense in the league?

No talent at RB and very little at WR. We need to use two of our top three picks on offense.

Old
03-17-2013, 08:33 AM
AgentM

Quote:
This draft is deep at safety. Drafting one early is a mistake. Get a NT in round 1 or 2 and one of the top pass rushers in one of those two rounds as well.

Round 1 - Jesse Williams
Round 2 - Jamie Collins
Round 3 - Eric Reid

I think Jesse Williams is a 2nd round talent and I really don't want him in the first. And NT is pretty low on our list of needs, definitely below OLB and WR, both of which we could get impact players at #17.

Jamie Collins is underrated though and could be a really good 3-4 outside linebacker, he could be a good 2nd round pick.

I'd love Reid in the 3rd but I'd be surprised if he's there at that point.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:26 AM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Safety is a big draft need. I wouldn't even rule out drafting one in the 1st depending what's still on the board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangBanged View Post
I'd rather take a safety than a WR if the top LB guys are gone around when we pick.
Vaccaro will be hard to pass up at 17. He provides a long term replacement at S, and can play the nickel this year. If he's a good as projected, he still keeps Gay of the field except in the dime, and keeps the Browns/Victorians/Van Dykes off the field except for ST.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:33 AM
JTG

If I had to pick between, say, Warmack of Vacarro...I take Warmack 10/10 times.

I'll make a prediction that if we get Warmack, Dwyer will be a 1000 yard rusher this year behind the line we would have.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Dylonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabs926 View Post
Is it your goal to have the worst offense in the league?

No talent at RB and very little at WR. We need to use two of our top three picks on offense.
You either have Sanders or another third rounder. You pick up Swope if Sanders leaves.

And defense wins you championships. It failed us last years with injuries to OLB, S and NT.

Get a quality NT - gaps open up
Get a quality PR - gaps get exploited
Get a quality S - turnovers are forced

Ben is arguably the best playmaking QB in the NFL. He's got a pretty good line going now. **** this garbage playbook and let him do his thing. He will get things done.

Get quality defensive prospects to help the way for the guys like Woodley, Timmons, the safeties; and things will be 100% better. Even if the offense is lacking.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:31 AM
seabs926

Quote:
You either have Sanders or another third rounder. You pick up Swope if Sanders leaves.

And defense wins you championships. It failed us last years with injuries to OLB, S and NT.

Get a quality NT - gaps open up
Get a quality PR - gaps get exploited
Get a quality S - turnovers are forced

Ben is arguably the best playmaking QB in the NFL. He's got a pretty good line going now. **** this garbage playbook and let him do his thing. He will get things done.

Get quality defensive prospects to help the way for the guys like Woodley, Timmons, the safeties; and things will be 100% better. Even if the offense is lacking.
It's highly unlikely that a 3rd round WR makes as big of an impact as Sanders will this season. You're still neglecting the fact that we lost a quality WR and don't have any way of replacing him under your scenario. We had a terrible offense last year and it's only gotten worse. In this NFL you need to be able to score points when it matters, which we weren't able to do last year. How do we have a pretty good line? Could we? Absolutely, but we've a lot of unproven talent and a ton of unexperienced starters. This is like Crosby and Malkin with below wingers, we need to put Ben in the best position to succeed (ie. surround him with weapons).

'Defense wins you championships' is an old adage that doesn't apply to the new NFL as much as it did 5-10 years ago. Time to get with the times. We need to have the ability to outscore teams at times, which we can't do.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:27 PM
sniugneP

We need some extra picks. Too many needs to fill.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:36 PM
mr sidney crosby

Steelers interested in ahmad bradshaw.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:36 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm View Post
Vaccaro will be hard to pass up at 17. He provides a long term replacement at S, and can play the nickel this year. If he's a good as projected, he still keeps Gay of the field except in the dime, and keeps the Browns/Victorians/Van Dykes off the field except for ST.
I also like Vaccaro a lot. Depends what else is on the board though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr sidney crosby View Post
Steelers interested in ahmad bradshaw.
I love the way that guy runs and he's not really old (just about to turn 27). He seems to get banged up a lot though.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:40 PM
mr sidney crosby

I agree, i think we would upgrade at running back if we picked up bradshaw. But we've down graded on corner, linebackers, and wideouts. Anything else?

Old
03-17-2013, 04:48 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
I agree, i think we would upgrade at running back if we picked up bradshaw. But we've down graded on corner, linebackers, and wideouts. Anything else?
The Baltimore Sun is reporting on Sunday that the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Baltimore Ravens both have interest in recently released Denver Broncos outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil.

Quote:
The Ravens' biggest rival, the Pittsburgh Steelers, are also interested in Dumervil after cutting outside linebacker James Harrison as a salary-cap casualty prior to the free agent signing period, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,2838573.story

I can't see the Steelers winning that bidding war with their lack of cap space though.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:50 PM
mr sidney crosby

Quote:
The Baltimore Sun is reporting on Sunday that the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Baltimore Ravens both have interest in recently released Denver Broncos outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil.

I can't see the Steelers winning that bidding war with their lack of cap space though.
I saw that too. Couldn't see that happening because we still got to use our 10.8 million to sign our draft picks, and maybe ahmad bradshaw?

Old
03-17-2013, 04:54 PM
mr sidney crosby

How much do you think Elvis Dumervil would want?

Old
03-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
How much do you think Elvis Dumervil would want?
He was scheduled to make 12 million this year and agreed to a pay cut to 8 million but the paper work didn't get done in time so he was released. I'd imagine he's looking for as close to that 8 million he lost out on as possible. The Steelers can't go anywhere near that. I think the Steelers inquired and the agent is probably just floating their interest out there to gain leverage with more serious suitors but who knows.

Old
03-17-2013, 05:02 PM
mr sidney crosby

Quote:
He was scheduled to make 12 million this year and agreed to a pay cut to 8 million but the paper work didn't get done in time so he was released. I'd imagine he's looking for as close to that 8 million he lost out on as possible. The Steelers can't go anywhere near that. I think the Steelers inquired and the agent is probably just floating their interest out there to gain leverage with more serious suitors but who knows.
Never hurts to ask

Old
03-17-2013, 05:06 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Never hurts to ask
True.

Old
03-17-2013, 05:45 PM
wheelz87
B2B Predictor Champ

Pitt an 8 seed. About 2 spots too low and we get to go out West? Awesome.

How do we get screwed every single year?

Old
03-17-2013, 05:53 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz87 View Post
Pitt an 8 seed. About 2 spots too low and we get to go out West? Awesome.

How do we get screwed every single year?
that's what you get for losing to University of the Pacific. a school that isn't anywhere close to the Pacific.

Old
03-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Death To Selfies!

vCash: 50
Montana (13) got Syracuse (4)...yuck. At least the travel is better there...San Jose is a lot closer to Missoula than it is Syracuse.

On that note, I did a cursory glance at Montana's run to the tournament a was laughing at just how atrocious the Big Sky Conference is outside of two teams. Montana's one conference loss was to Weber State, who's two conference losses were to Montana. Only one other school in the conference - newcomer North Dakota - finished over .500 in conference play

On the flip-side I expected some correlation between men's and women's success...Montana's women's team almost always goes to the NCAA Tournament (and will again this year as both teams won Big Sky titles yesterday) and the men's team has been doing it regularly the past decade...and I see that the Weber State, who's men's team went 26-6, finished 0-29 on the women's side of things. They only had a single game all season where the point differential was less than 5
How the hell can a men's program be so good while the women's team can't even win a single game? On a similar note, North Dakota's women's team was next to last in the conference.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 03-17-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old
03-17-2013, 06:25 PM
Bennett Brauer

NFL: AroundTheLeague ‏@NFL_ATL
Steelers reportedly also in the mix for services of Elvis Dumervil. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...gn=Twitter_atl

Steelers won't land him, but that's interesting.

Old
03-17-2013, 06:40 PM
AgentM

Quote:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the Broncos run a 4-3 and Dumervil played defensive end in it. That's not to say that he couldn't convert to a 3-4 OLB, but I found it odd that we would be a team targeting him. I guess we need pass rushers pretty badly at this point though and Dumervil is pretty damned good at getting to QB's!

Old
03-17-2013, 06:51 PM
mr sidney crosby

Was watching insidious and got scared so i came on here. Any chance you guys think we'll take a wideout in the 1st 2 rounds of the draft?

Old
03-17-2013, 07:00 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the Broncos run a 4-3 and Dumervil played defensive end in it. That's not to say that he couldn't convert to a 3-4 OLB, but I found it odd that we would be a team targeting him. I guess we need pass rushers pretty badly at this point though and Dumervil is pretty damned good at getting to QB's!
Broncos might play a 4-3 now but Dumervil has played both OLB and DE in his NFL career. Mike Nolan ran a 3-4 when he was the DC there and Dumervil played OLB a lot in it.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:43 PM
Dylonus

Doom played OLB on both sides with Nolan and had his best seasons as an OLB. He sucks against the run, however.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:52 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Doom played OLB on both sides with Nolan and had his best seasons as an OLB. He sucks against the run, however.
how does he compare to Jason Worilds?

is that who would be in line for that spot without bringing someone new in?

Closed Thread