HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelers Draft OLB Jarvis Jones

Closed Thread

Old
04-17-2013, 07:09 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

vCash: 500
Jones question marks are speed and a spinal problem, correct?

But he was productive, right?

Old
04-17-2013, 07:12 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Jones question marks are speed and a spinal problem, correct?

But he was productive, right?
Yeah, pretty much.

Old
04-17-2013, 07:13 PM
Iggy Smalls

I want the RB from UNC, Gio Bernard. He's estimated to go in the 2nd, but man he's really sick. He can catch decently, too. If we could get out of the draft with him and Lattimore...

Old
04-17-2013, 07:17 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniugneP View Post
Yeah, pretty much.
What's the deal on the spinal issue?

Old
04-17-2013, 07:32 PM
sniugneP

While he was at USC, he was injured in 2009 that later was diagnosed a mild case of spinal stenosis. USC won't let him play so he transferred to Georgia. The coach forced him to take some tests on him. Doctors cleared him to play since then. This injury won't go away, there will be always a risk of potential paralysis.

I think some teams crossed his name off the board. It's too risky to take him.

Some players like Michael Irvin have spinal stenosis were forced to retired.

Last edited by sniugneP: 04-18-2013 at 06:51 AM.
Old
04-18-2013, 08:51 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
This is an offensive league now driven by elite QBs. The rules favor these QBs and offense.

I figure BR has maybe 5-6 years left if his line doesn't get him crippled first.... It is quite possible it takes another 25 years before they find another franchise QB. Give him the weapons and see how far he can take this team.

So I'm heavily leaning towards wanting skill position players with the first two picks and building around BR.
I'd be surprised if he lasted 3 years and the Steelers should be prepared for him to possibly be done after 2. The guy can't stay healthy, period. It's only going to get worse. He had an enviable receiving group last season (don't forget to add Heath in there) and he ended up having only a slightly above average season capped off with him singlehandedly losing a couple of games. Lots of qb's in the league are doing far more with far less in terms of receivers. Coming into training camp at 30% body fat doesn't seem to be helping him either.

Old
04-18-2013, 09:35 AM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

I've seen a bunch of chatter about Tyler Eifert @ #17.

Somehow, I still receive ESPNMag...someone ordered it for me year and years ago...and I randomly started receiving it again about 6 months ago. It's still God awful.

But the issue that came yesterday is the draft issue. Kiper has the Steelers taking Eifert at 17. He might be the BPA, but I worry how Haley would use he and, once healthy, Miller together. Sure it works in New England with Gronk and Hernandez, but not sure if it would seamlessly blend into every offense.

I'm with the D in the first round group. Jones if he falls. Vaccaro if he's there - he helps immediately in the dime, and replaces an again S long term.

WR seems like a deep group that a guy taken in the 2nd - Hopkins if available, Quinton Patton.

RB in the 3rd or 4th, based on who's around. I really like Lattimore, especially if he's there in the 4th. But wonder how much he contributes in 2013.

Old
04-18-2013, 09:37 AM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Also Steve McLendon made an RFA visit to Green Bay. He was tendered at $1.3M, which entitles the team to a pick equal to the round the player was originally drafted in...except McLendon was an UDFA...so we'd get nothing.

Good news is RFA offer sheets must be in by tomorrow, so we'll know rather soon if GB even makes an offer.

Time to unleash the Ta'amu!

Old
04-18-2013, 10:49 AM
sniugneP

Eifert is similar to Jason Witten, a big weapon in middle. Great hands and good route-running. His blocking is improved. A dangerous red zone receiver.

I'm not sure that Haley likes to use 2 TE sets a lot.

Old
04-18-2013, 02:46 PM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Steelers sign McLendon to 3 years deal.

Old
04-18-2013, 03:20 PM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm View Post
I've seen a bunch of chatter about Tyler Eifert @ #17.

Somehow, I still receive ESPNMag...someone ordered it for me year and years ago...and I randomly started receiving it again about 6 months ago. It's still God awful.

But the issue that came yesterday is the draft issue. Kiper has the Steelers taking Eifert at 17. He might be the BPA, but I worry how Haley would use he and, once healthy, Miller together. Sure it works in New England with Gronk and Hernandez, but not sure if it would seamlessly blend into every offense.

I'm with the D in the first round group. Jones if he falls. Vaccaro if he's there - he helps immediately in the dime, and replaces an again S long term.

WR seems like a deep group that a guy taken in the 2nd - Hopkins if available, Quinton Patton.

RB in the 3rd or 4th, based on who's around. I really like Lattimore, especially if he's there in the 4th. But wonder how much he contributes in 2013.
There's your answer as to why it won't happen.

Kiper is wrong a lot. Actually most of these guys, outside of the top 10-15, are usually just guessing as much as any fans are. The only difference is is that they have more knowledge about the individual players themselves since they watch so much tape.

Remember Kiper is the same guy that had Jimmy Clausen as a first round can't miss QB. Let that sink in for a moment. All he knows it what players can be taken in certain rounds. He has no connections to any teams as far as I know.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:05 AM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Sledge View Post
There's your answer as to why it won't happen.

Kiper is wrong a lot. Actually most of these guys, outside of the top 10-15, are usually just guessing as much as any fans are. The only difference is is that they have more knowledge about the individual players themselves since they watch so much tape.

Remember Kiper is the same guy that had Jimmy Clausen as a first round can't miss QB. Let that sink in for a moment. All he knows it what players can be taken in certain rounds. He has no connections to any teams as far as I know.
Oh I'm with you. Of all the guys out there now, I like Mayock.

This was more of a "Would you?" than believing Kiper is right.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:26 PM
Bennett Brauer

Vikings want to trade up, they have the 23rd and 25th pick in the 1st round.

Steelers could get a decent player at #17 but if Minnesota offered 23 and 25 for 17, would you do it?

Old
04-19-2013, 12:27 PM
AK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post

Steelers could get a decent player at #17 but if Minnesota offered 23 and 25 for 17, would you do it?
In a heartbeat.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:29 PM
SuburbanRhythm
WorldClassJagoff

Quote:

One million times yes

But value wise, we'd need to include probably our 2nd.

Old
04-19-2013, 12:33 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Little Potatoes

vCash: 2563
Quote:

The Vikings could get a significantly better pick than the #17 for that package.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Old
04-19-2013, 12:37 PM
AgentM

Quote:

The Vikings could get a much better pick than ours if they offered both of those up. It's more likely that we could get their #23 and their 3rd rounder for our #17.

Old
04-19-2013, 01:13 PM
Bennett Brauer

I agree that the Vikings could get a better pick for that package, but the whole point in them trading up is because they want a WR, and who knows if the 16 teams in front of us want to trade their pick, I'm sure some teams do.

But Austin and Patterson probably won't be top 10 picks, they could be top 15 picks.

Maybe Patterson is there at 17 and Minnesota sees the Steelers need a WR and desperately want that pick and offers 2 firsts.

Maybe they do that with Austin at 15 or 16 also, who knows.

Old
04-19-2013, 03:10 PM
AgentM

Quote:
I agree that the Vikings could get a better pick for that package, but the whole point in them trading up is because they want a WR, and who knows if the 16 teams in front of us want to trade their pick, I'm sure some teams do.

But Austin and Patterson probably won't be top 10 picks, they could be top 15 picks.

Maybe Patterson is there at 17 and Minnesota sees the Steelers need a WR and desperately want that pick and offers 2 firsts.

Maybe they do that with Austin at 15 or 16 also, who knows.
I can see Minnesota wanting to move up to grab one of those WR's if they are in love with them, but I'd personally be shocked if they gave up the 25th pick just to move up 6 picks from the 23rd. Like I said I could see the 23rd and a 3rd rounder. Or maybe even the 23rd and a 2nd rounder for the 17th and a 5th rounder or something like that. I guess we'll see next week!

Old
04-19-2013, 05:13 PM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

If we were able to get 2 firsts or a later first and a high second it makes it possible to pick Poopoo Hopkins and Eddie Lacy with our first 2 picks.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2013rumorsteams_1.php

This is an interesting site to keep track of leading up to the draft. Whether it's all accurate or not is up for speculation. It's still interesting to see what possibly could happen in advance.

I'm still a fan of if a top end pass rusher or top WR they want that they would look to trade down.

Old
04-19-2013, 05:25 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
I'd be surprised if he lasted 3 years and the Steelers should be prepared for him to possibly be done after 2. The guy can't stay healthy, period. It's only going to get worse. He had an enviable receiving group last season (don't forget to add Heath in there) and he ended up having only a slightly above average season capped off with him singlehandedly losing a couple of games. Lots of qb's in the league are doing far more with far less in terms of receivers. Coming into training camp at 30% body fat doesn't seem to be helping him either.
Up until his injury he was having one of his best seasons statistically.

He has trouble staying healthy, but that is part on his line and part on his style of play.

Dude bounced off a car and was playing a few months later, so I doubt he will be fully done in by an injury, but who knows.

I think he has five or six years left, but they could be injury marred if his game doesn't change and his line doesn't improve. Either way he is their best chance to win so build around him, because there may be another decade or two of Malone, Blackledge, Stewart, etc. caliber QB play in Pgh.

Old
04-19-2013, 05:28 PM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

Quote:
Up until his injury he was having one of his best seasons statistically.

He has trouble staying healthy, but that is part on his line and part on his style of play.

Dude bounced off a car and was playing a few months later, so I doubt he will be fully done in by an injury, but who knows.

I think he has five or six years left, but they could be injury marred if his game doesn't change and his line doesn't improve.
I'd say he has 3-4 more solid years at his playing style. If he can convert his style to more of a Manning/Brady type I think he can last to 36-37 years old.

Old
04-19-2013, 05:31 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Sledge View Post
I'd say he has 3-4 more solid years at his playing style. If he can convert his style to more of a Manning/Brady type I think he can last to 36-37 years old.
Guys can play until 40 now at a high level.

Haley is trying to extend his career by making him get rid of the ball faster, but he is like Favre and wants to play school yard ball.

Old
04-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 47m

Bengals and former Steelers LB James Harrison agreed to two-year deal. It was, in word of one source, a "process."

Old
04-19-2013, 06:22 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 47m

Bengals and former Steelers LB James Harrison agreed to two-year deal. It was, in word of one source, a "process."
so when he hits ben helmet to helmet, do we all admit how dirty he is?

Closed Thread