HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Pittsburgher Thread: Steelers Draft OLB Jarvis Jones

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Jaded-Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I'm not an expert on JJ, but I know the game backwards and fwds.

Any DC worth his salt will find ways to free up his best pass rushers.

Many of the best pash rushing OLB feast when they are lined up over the TE or isolated across the LOS on the backers. Parcells was doing this with Taylor back in the day.

I watched a lot of footage of JJ since he was picked and saw him beating Ts a number of times, even beating the T and backer to blow up plays. I think I saw him run free on one or two plays total out of a hundred + snaps. Apparently, teams were game planning him and he was still making plays. It's difficult to always free up your best pass rusher when other teams are isolating him. So I'm not sure how he could of always been running free on every play.... Sounds a bit odd based on what I saw and know about protection schemes.

This pick reminds me a ton of when the Steelers picked Polo and people lost their **** because he was one hit away from munching on cardboard and collecting My Little Pony Dolls, according to all of the wannabe experts.
If Polo means Polamalu, he is not the best example. It is an amazing pick despite the injury issues, but he is as durable as an origami swan.

Old
04-26-2013, 03:06 PM
Alesle

Quote:
I'm not an expert on JJ, but I know the game backwards and fwds.

Any DC worth his salt will find ways to free up his best pass rushers.

Many of the best pash rushing OLB feast when they are lined up over the TE or isolated across the LOS on the backers. Parcells was doing this with Taylor back in the day.

I watched a lot of footage of JJ since he was picked and saw him beating Ts a number of times, even beating the T and backer to blow up plays. I think I saw him run free on one or two plays total out of a hundred + snaps. Apparently, teams were game planning him and he was still making plays. It's difficult to always free up your best pass rusher when other teams are isolating him. So I'm not sure how he could of always been running free on every play.... Sounds a bit odd based on what I saw and know about protection schemes
I'll quote myself from yesterday in an attempt to clarify what I meant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alesle View Post
although I thought he looked good when I watched him during the season, I don't think he played quite as well as his production suggests.
His production, and the reaction from some of the posters here, suggests he was one of the very top prospects in this draft (someone even mentioned him as being the best). I don't see him as quite that good, so I was trying to temper the expectations somewhat. Like I said I think he's a decent pick at #17, and I hope he pans out for us.

Old
04-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
If Polo means Polamalu, he is not the best example. It is an amazing pick despite the injury issues, but he is as durable as an origami swan.
He is a perfect example because the tools who think they are draft experts went as ballistic as I recall in twenty years of following the draft. The biggest crybabies were the ones who wanted Larry Johnson.

Somehow he managed to avoid munching on cardboard long enough to hang up a potential HOF career.

Polo may not be durable now, but I think he did ok.

Quote:
I'll quote myself from yesterday in an attempt to clarify what I meant

His production, and the reaction from some of the posters here, suggests he was one of the very top prospects in this draft (someone even mentioned him as being the best). I don't see him as quite that good, so I was trying to temper the expectations somewhat. Like I said I think he's a decent pick at #17, and I hope he pans out for us.
I have no idea how he ranks overall, but tons of people wanted him badly after the college season, then suddenly he runs a poor 40 and he is a bad pick with injury concerns according to the wannabe know it alls.

It's just comical.

Old
04-26-2013, 03:30 PM
Sivek

Surprised that there was any backlash about the Jones pick. Team struggled all year pressuring qb's and ends up taking a guy that was a dominant pass-rusher in the best league in NCAA. Being able to pressure the qb consistently covers up a ton of warts elsewhere.

Yeah, he has red flags when it comes to injury concerns and top-end speed, but if he didn't, he would of been a top-3 pick. If you can end up with a guy with double-digit sack potential at 17th overall, it's a risk worth taking.

Will be surprised if db isn't one or both targets in the 2nd and 3rd round.

Old
04-26-2013, 03:32 PM
End of Line
Human After All

What I would like to see tonight:

2nd-CB or S
3rd-John Simon (most likely will be drafted by New England.)

"I don't know what the stronger emotion would be, the joy of winning or the pain of losing"-Sidney Crosby.
Old
04-26-2013, 03:32 PM
Alesle

Quote:
I have no idea how he ranks overall, but tons of people wanted him badly after the college season, then suddenly he runs a poor 40 and he is a bad pick with injury concerns according to the wannabe know it alls.

It's just comical.
I see where you're coming from. In any case I trust our front office to know what they're doing, so I'm not too worried about any pick they make. I'm just a fan that likes to watch football and follow the draft .

Old
04-26-2013, 03:51 PM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Shane View Post
My memory of the run game last year involved a lot of the RB having to shed multiple tacklers at or before the line of scrimmage because he either couldn't find the holes the O-line was making, or he hesitated too much before he hit the hole.
When you say "he", I'll just assume you mean all 4 RB's last season.

Old
04-26-2013, 03:58 PM
End of Line
Human After All

John Simon: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Ohio State Defensive End

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-defensive-end

Old
04-26-2013, 04:05 PM
Sivek

Steelers signed former Pitt & Cardinal RB LaRod Stephens-Howling. Decent 3rd-down back and return man. Can't see the Steelers taking a back now unless they think he's going to be an every-down type of guy and not another Rainey-esque player.

Old
04-26-2013, 04:09 PM
sniugneP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
Steelers signed former Pitt & Cardinal RB LaRod Stephens-Howling. Decent 3rd-down back and return man. Can't see the Steelers taking a back now unless they think he's going to be an every-down type of guy and not another Rainey-esque player.
Yeah, I just heard about this. He signed only 1 year contract.

Old
04-26-2013, 04:12 PM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

I would hate Simon anywhere before the 5th round.

Old
04-26-2013, 04:13 PM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

Quote:
I don't think this changes their outlook on picking a RB in the draft. If the value is there you gotta pick your guy. I can't see them passing on Lacy or Franklin if the value is right.

Old
04-26-2013, 04:16 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
I see where you're coming from. In any case I trust our front office to know what they're doing, so I'm not too worried about any pick they make. I'm just a fan that likes to watch football and follow the draft .
Same here. As I mentioned earlier, I was a huge draft freak when I was a teen into my early 20s when I had more time on my hands. I knew the prospects extremely well, and even then I never got upset when the Steelers didn't take "my guys".

It has gotten much worse over the last decade or so with so many pseudo draft experts whining on msg boards, talk shows, etc every time the Steelers don't take guys on "their board".

It's pretty bad on here with the wannabe experts when Shero takes a guy they don't want, but Steeler nation is full of a much much larger contingent of idiots.

It's frustrating because I like to read thoughts on the picks from people who watched these guys, but most threads on the Steeler boards I read are filled with whiners... It's absurd.

They need lives, seriously.

Old
04-26-2013, 04:23 PM
specialized

Quote:
Can I get a face palm,the steelers will be lucky to go 6-10 next season

Old
04-26-2013, 04:26 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

vCash: 50
Continue here.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Closed Thread