HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

What if Chicago picks 1st in 2004 Draft?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-10-2013, 04:06 PM
  #1
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket
 
ForsbergForever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,974
vCash: 500
What if Chicago picks 1st in 2004 Draft?

They finished with the worst record in the NHL in 2003-04 season but only drafted third (wasted on Cam Barker). What if they win the draft lottery, as the arguably should have, and pick first? How does the history of the team change with Alexander Ovechkin in the line-up, do they still win the Cup and if so does that make for a more focused an harder-working Ovechkin over the long-term thus avoiding his massive decline?


Considering how Washington went even after drafting Ovy, the Hawks might still get Toews (Caps drafted Backstrom) in 2006 but its doubtful they would have drafted first in 2007 to get Kane. So basically I guess this comes down to substituting Kane for Ovechkin. Anyways, I look forward to some thoughts on this, Especially from Chicago fans.


Last edited by ForsbergForever: 03-10-2013 at 08:55 PM.
ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 08:45 PM
  #2
BrimStone64
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,553
vCash: 500
Hawks wouldn't have Toews or Kane. You are better off with either. Goes to show...losing the draft lottery not always a bad thing

BrimStone64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:12 PM
  #3
JSmith81x
Your weapon is guilt
 
JSmith81x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 2,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergForever View Post
They finished with the worst record in the NHL in 2003-04 season but only drafted third (wasted on Cam Barker). What if they win the draft lottery, as the arguably should have, and pick first? How does the history of the team change with Alexander Ovechkin in the line-up, do they still win the Cup and if so does that make for a more focused an harder-working Ovechkin over the long-term thus avoiding his massive decline?


Considering how Washington went even after drafting Ovy, the Hawks might still get Toews (Caps drafted Backstrom) in 2006 but its doubtful they would have drafted first in 2007 to get Kane. So basically I guess this comes down to substituting Kane for Ovechkin. Anyways, I look forward to some thoughts on this, Especially from Chicago fans.
Pittsburgh finished last, and Chicago and Washington tied for second worst. The Blackhawks had the least wins, but had enough "bonus losses" to bump them a whole point past Pittsburgh.

Cam Barker wasn't completely wasted. He had one good season and then they got Nick Leddy out of it.

--

Ovechkin and whoever they take in 2005 (assuming they don't take Skille again) and 2006 would almost certainly make the team good enough that they don't finish near enough to the bottom to win the 2007 lottery and take Kane.

JSmith81x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:33 PM
  #4
Sticks and Pucks
Registered User
 
Sticks and Pucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,744
vCash: 500
It's probably a better question to ask what if there was no lottery at all. Pittsburgh picks Ovechkin first, Chicago picks Malkin second (instead of Barker). Washington takes Barker. Because Pittsburgh has the first overall pick, they lose an extra lottery ball for the 2005 draft lottery and probably don't get Crosby. So with no lottery, Pittsburgh has Ovechkin, no Crosby or Malkin, no Cup. Washington doesn't have Ovechkin in 05-06 so they probably draft higher than fourth, bumping Chicago down. With Malkin in 06-07, the Hawks probably don't finish bad enough to pick first in 2007 so no Kane either. Chicago doesn't get Toews nor Kane so probably no Cup either.

Sorry if I went off topic. Just wanted to bring up the fact that the draft lottery does change many things.


Last edited by Sticks and Pucks: 03-11-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:10 PM
  #5
FakeKidPoker*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,676
vCash: 500
Hmm.

They get Ovechkin or Malkin.

Probably finish a couple spots ahead in 06 and don't get Toews.

Probably in a position to still draft Kane since he could have gone as late as 3rd overall in his year.

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:19 PM
  #6
Hawkey Town 18
Moderator
 
Hawkey Town 18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 5,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOverallLine View Post
It's probably a better question to ask what if there was no lottery at all. Pittsburgh picks Ovechkin first, Chicago picks Malkin second (instead of Barker). Washington takes Barker. Because Pittsburgh has the first overall pick, they lose an extra lottery ball for the 2005 draft lottery and probably don't get Crosby. So with no lottery, Pittsburgh has Ovechkin, no Crosby or Malkin, no Cup. Washington doesn't have Ovechkin in 05-06 so they probably draft higher than fourth, bumping Chicago down. With Malkin in 06-07, the Hawks probably don't finish bad enough to pick first in 2007 so no Kane either. Chicago doesn't get Toews nor Kane so probably no Cup either.

Sorry if I went off topic. Just wanted to bring up the fact that the draft lottery does change many things.
Malkin's first NHL season wasn't until after Toews was drafted, so the Hawks probably still have a strong chance at drafting him, but likely don't get Kane.

Hawkey Town 18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:25 PM
  #7
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket
 
ForsbergForever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post
Hmm.

They get Ovechkin or Malkin.

Probably finish a couple spots ahead in 06 and don't get Toews.

Probably in a position to still draft Kane since he could have gone as late as 3rd overall in his year.
I think they still finish near the bottom in 2006, since even with Ovechkin their line-up would look something like this in 2005-06...

Ovechkin-Bell-Vrbata
Calder-Arnason-Lapointe
Bourque-Ruutu-Sharp

Seabrook-Keith
Wisniewski-Aucoin
Byfuglien-Vandermeer

Khabibulin
Anderson

Actually this doesn't look like a half bad roster knowing how some of these players evolved, but at the time none of them were ready for primetime. I figure they can still get Toews in 2006 since the team would not have really come together yet.

ForsbergForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:53 PM
  #8
FakeKidPoker*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,676
vCash: 500
Still a bad team for sure...but I think Ovechkin and his 50+ goals moves them a spot or two up in the standings.

Does Toews make it to 4th?

I think they'd probably stand a better chance at getting Kane.. I remember during the draft Chicago was heavily rumored to be trading down and still end up taking Kane at 3rd... if for the sake of this conversation Chicago wins the lottery they still get Kane.

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:58 AM
  #9
Sticks and Pucks
Registered User
 
Sticks and Pucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
Malkin's first NHL season wasn't until after Toews was drafted, so the Hawks probably still have a strong chance at drafting him, but likely don't get Kane.
Yes, I know that. My point was that since Washington would not have had Ovechkin, they would have finished much worse than they did back in 2006, thereby bumping Chicago out of picking third overall (Washington picked 4th overall that year despite having had Ovie). It's possible that the Caps would have finished last that year without Ovie and picked first overall. In that case, they would have probably gone with EJ (consensus best player at the time). This means STL probably takes Toews second overall (Oshie's college teammate). That means no Toews for the Hawks and we all know Toews was their most important player during their Cup run.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.