HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

+/- Sock Monkeys versus Little Sisters of the Poor Edition

Old
03-11-2013, 07:13 AM
BreakfastatMarios

vCash: 500
Does anybody know if on the radio if Mike Lange used the call phrase. She tried to sell my Monkee on Kunitz 3rd goal.

That would've been hillarious.

BreakfastatMarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:14 AM
NastyNick

Anyone noticing Neal is flopping a lot more lately? That dive to get the 5-on-3 was Flyer-esque..

It seems like he noticed the Flyers - specifically Brayden Schenn - doing it and getting away with it. I've seen him try it at least once every game since.

NastyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:16 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Where the hell is everyone tonight?
This thread is usually on fire more after a big loss than a big win.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:18 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
The breakaway goal Neal had last night was sick.

Nothin' fancy, just a blistering snipe. Awesomeness.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:22 AM
mpp9

Ill give a plus to DB for his D pairings. Eaton is familiar with Letang and putting Nisky on his natural side with Despres. I like the way our D corps is shaping up. Lot of depth. Different options to throw at teams. Only possible upgrade we could use is on the PK.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:42 AM
plaidchuck

vCash: 200
Well we all know who obviously played well, but some other thoughts:

+ Vokoun, fought the puck sometimes but despite the score made some opportune saves
+ Finally didn't allow a ton of goals, kept Tavares off the scoresheet
+ Took advantage and crushed a team playing poorly
+ Looked fresh despite it being a back to back game

- Can't get too high on this as the Islanders played their goalie back-to-back and were clearly tired
- Malkin injured again

plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:50 AM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Here's a question - why was Mark Eaton just sitting out there waiting for a minor-league contract? I mean he clearly hasn't lost much, if anything, since the '09 Cup run. Did someone spread a nasty rumor about him or something? I don't get it.

bathroomSTAAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:55 AM
spcastlemagic

He's 36 and has a history of injury.

spcastlemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:56 AM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I will admit - for whatever reason my Mom uses them on a Christmas tree and loved 'em. I had to save at least one, but I threw about 4-5 of 'em on the ice after being pelted from above with about 10. The ones above are a lot cooler. The ones we got say "TRIB LIVE" nice and big on 'em.
Throw some too-thick glasses on that sucker and you've got your very own Sock-Rossi voodoo doll.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:04 AM
HotCoffey

Rewatching some of the highlights and skimming through the game I noticed a lot more minuses. The first five minutes was pretty much all Islanders, Orpik was caught out of position a few times trying to take the body in front of the net again. Obviously the Despres mistake, but that was flukey. Towards the middle end of the third more and more chances started coming for the islanders, especially with the fourth line on the ice. All in all, same old weaknesses coming back in the game that could have changed the course of this game, or hurt us more if we were playing someone like Boston. Good win, but perspective needs to be maintained.

HotCoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Funk311

Liked the game Despres played. Unfortunate he blew a tire on the lone goal, fortunate it was this game.

Sid's line just bulldozed the islanders. Kunitz.....50 in 48? Jinxed.

Islander really didn't have their legs or goalies tonight, roug game for them. I had been expecting a tighter matchup.

Funk311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:13 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
RIP parabola

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
Throw some too-thick glasses on that sucker and you've got your very own Sock-Rossi voodoo doll.
I'll never look at the one I have the same ever again. You ruined it for me.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:15 AM
deakka

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotCoffey View Post
Rewatching some of the highlights and skimming through the game I noticed a lot more minuses. The first five minutes was pretty much all Islanders, Orpik was caught out of position a few times trying to take the body in front of the net again. Obviously the Despres mistake, but that was flukey. Towards the middle end of the third more and more chances started coming for the islanders, especially with the fourth line on the ice. All in all, same old weaknesses coming back in the game that could have changed the course of this game, or hurt us more if we were playing someone like Boston. Good win, but perspective needs to be maintained.
Just watching the higlights, Adams had 2 really weak plays along the boards leading to scoring chances for the islanders. 1 in the final 2nd of the 2nd period and 1 in the 3rd. He hasnt done a lot good lately tbh.

deakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:17 AM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Imagine how the season plays out (and this board's reaction) if Bennett is healthy leading up to the start of the season.

12IsGreaterThan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:27 AM
Richard

vCash: 145
I have a big minus to the Penguins fourth line. Adams and Glass both missed a half a dozen easy clears and also missed roughly the same easy dumps into the zone. I have to say Jeffrey looks like a guy who is too good for the AHL and not quite good enough for the NHL. He can't grind and he certainly doesn't have top six skill.

Glass and Adams needs gone. We need two or three role players to have a shot at a championship. Speed and grit are missing from the bottom two lines.

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:30 AM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Letang's pass off the glass to Neal for the breakaway blew my mind. Ditto for the backhand Beau attempted to Neal which almost found its way through.

SCUDeriMISSILE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:35 AM
Richard

vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
Letang's pass off the glass to Neal for the breakaway blew my mind. Ditto for the backhand Beau attempted to Neal which almost found its way through.
Agreed. That was a pass I've only seen almost work or work by two players in the modern era; Sidney Crosby and Peter Forsberg.

I hope that the Coaching staff is smart enough not to try and curtail this kids creativity one bit.

Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:46 AM
spcastlemagic

I love the way Bennett is passing the puck... his poise and confidence are tremendous for a rookie. Everybody loves 40 goal scoring wingers, but Bennett can be a 40 assist winger if he reaches his potential. The quality of our centers makes this very desirable!

spcastlemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:47 AM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

If you remove all of Crosby's PP production, he's 5th in the NHL in scoring with 30 points, only 7 behind Stamkos.

(2g 13a 15p)

12IsGreaterThan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:48 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
Agreed. That was a pass I've only seen almost work or work by two players in the modern era; Sidney Crosby and Peter Forsberg.

I hope that the Coaching staff is smart enough not to try and curtail this kids creativity one bit.
I always said he is an east-west player who slows the play down... Then I read an article where he said they wanted him to play a N-S game, which worried me, because you can't coach that natural skill out of him.

However, he is so responsible on the ice, I'm not worrying about it now. He is learning how much time he has to make plays at this level, quite well. His panic threshold is extremely high and its allowing him to use his skill.

I'm just waiting for him to start dancing with the puck, then I'll know he is completely comfortable. His stick handling is one of the best parts of his game, but he isn't ready to challenge guys 1-1 like that yet.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:49 AM
mpp9

+Bennett-Geno-Neal will be a dynamic line for a long time.

+Eaton looks like a guy who can play in the lineup regularly. I'd like to see him with Letang. Move Despres up as well. Have Niskanen play the right side. Throw Bort and Engo into the mix against more physical teams. It'll be interesting who's in against Boston Tuesday.

+Sutter and Martin are going to frustrate alot of star players. They were all over Tavares.

Anyone else like Matt Martin? He'd be a major upgrade in our bottom six.

Last edited by mpp9: 03-11-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old
03-11-2013, 08:50 AM
Warm Cookies
Losenetsov

Quote:

The coaching staff hasn't curtailed any player's creativity. Some players simply aren't good enough to make it on their skill alone, so they have to evolve to find a spot in the league.

I hope to god Bennett pans out, if for no other reason than to put to rest the idea that our organization can't develop forward prospects. Our forward prospects haven't developed into anything because they haven't been very good, simple as that. The things Bennett is showing us now are the things legitimate quality scoring wing prospects show when they're called up.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:52 AM
mpp9

Quote:
I'm just waiting for him to start dancing with the puck, then I'll know he is completely comfortable. His stick handling is one of the best parts of his game, but he isn't ready to challenge guys 1-1 like that yet.
I saw him stick handle in traffic a few times so far. But for sure, he's using his smarts to adjust to NHL speed for now. If he can start to beat defenders, we have a sick talent on our hands. Hope he can stay healthy, that's one of the few hurdles left for him.

Old
03-11-2013, 08:54 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
If we can do the same type of performance against Boston, then I'd be impressed but I'm predicting a loss in that one.

Shrimper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:55 AM
plaidchuck

vCash: 200
Quote:
I have a big minus to the Penguins fourth line. Adams and Glass both missed a half a dozen easy clears and also missed roughly the same easy dumps into the zone. I have to say Jeffrey looks like a guy who is too good for the AHL and not quite good enough for the NHL. He can't grind and he certainly doesn't have top six skill.

Glass and Adams needs gone. We need two or three role players to have a shot at a championship. Speed and grit are missing from the bottom two lines.
Yeap agreed. Fortunately this is something that could conceivably be done cheap while still adding higher-end talent to the team.

3rd line was pretty mediocre too. Cooke and Kennedy can go first chance for all I care at this point.. Sutter seems a bit inconsistent at times.

And how about Joe effin' Vitale. 7 for 7 on faceoffs.

plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote