HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers win 6-5 ...no, that's not a typo

Old
03-10-2013, 09:36 PM
McCupofOil
Hunting A Cup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
I tried complimenting Hossa and immediately got chirped...
Yeah, i saw that. What a ridiculous reponse to you paying a compliment to one of their players.

McCupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Sheikyerbouti
ShakeyerMcBooty

Thought Krueger made all the right decisions.

This team has played not to lose under all the coaches. Krueger said it was one of they keys that he wanted to change. Playing Smyth over Yak isn't playing not to lose; it's playing to win... which we did.

We have literally no experience on this team and we were being overwhelmed by a much better team. If you throw Yak out there and he gets caught up in it trying to do much he'll lose his position. He has been a complete wildcard this year and stats show this Put him in positions to succeed , like he has in the last second of periods already. That was a firing squad you don't toss out an 18 yr old to shoulder it.

F3 was very good tonight as a whole

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:42 PM
Ol' Jase
No mas, Adam. No mas

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyerbouti View Post

This team has played not to lose under all the coaches. Krueger said it was one of they keys that he wanted to change. Playing Smyth over Yak isn't playing not to lose; it's playing to win... which we did.

We have literally no experience on this team and we were being overwhelmed by a much better team. If you throw Yak out there and he gets caught up in it trying to do much he'll lose his position. He has been a complete wildcard this year and stats show this Put him in positions to succeed , like he has in the last second of periods already. That was a firing squad you don't toss out an 18 yr old to shoulder it.

Excellent post.

I cannot for the life of me understand crucifying a coach for not playing an 18 year old who has shown to be a defensive liability at the end of a 6-5 game against the best team in the league throwing everything they have at you.

Kruger has significant faults, IMO, but that's not one of them.

Ol' Jase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
Kane, Toews, and Hossa are deadly.

If there's any club we should model a "rebuild" after, it's Chicago, not Detroit.

We need more toughness to emulate them, though.

Anyways, I'm happy with the W, but I don't like how we let Chicago back in the game, but I won't let that cloud my joy over the win.

Come up with a W in Colorado, and the 9 gamer becomes a "ehh meh" instead of a disaster.

Wheathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:43 PM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

vCash: 2516
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheikyerbouti View Post
thought krueger made all the right decisions.
get yourself some cover, quick!

Comrade Blunderbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:44 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

vCash: 50
Whether we win 6-5 or lose 6-5 sure in the hell makes games more enjoyable to watch.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:44 PM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
Excellent post.

I cannot for the life of me understand crucifying a coach for not playing an 18 year old who has shown to be a defensive liability at the end of a 6-5 game against the best team in the league throwing everything they have at you.

Kruger has significant faults, IMO, but that's not one of them.
most people are on krueger for not playing paajarvi tonight, at least i am... i understand not playing yakupov in the 3rd... paajarvi is one of our best defensive forwards on the entire team... to not play him in the 3rd very much is crazy-talk (but i shouldn't expect anything more from krueger at this point, he has shown that he has no idea what he is doing)

McJadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:50 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

Notice how many of us was proposing spreading the top six over 3 lines, and look at offense we got tonight, only took our coach 25 games to reconize this , Hf Oil 7 games.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:51 PM
Hopelessoilfan
Larsson fanclub 2016

Quote:

The right decision is not taking your foot off the gas when we're hammering them up to that point.

The right decision is not letting up when we're known for blowing any semblance of a lead/tie game.

We had 4 goals, and had them hemmed in their zone for the first couple minutes of the second, they score 1 goal, and suddenly we go into a shell, and then proceed to be outshot, outscored, and outplayed from that point on.

When you are having some offensive success as the worst offensive team in the league, you probably shouldn't resort to your defensive game when the other team scores a goal. You go out and score two more.

If he sticks with the lines, and they start to falter and allow the hawks back in the game, you can start to make some changes, but those changes should absolutely, 100% NOT be smyth on the first line, and petrell replacing someone playing a good game on the best line up to that point.

Smyth is an absolute black hole offensively, and has become a complete slug in the defensive zone. Watching him get walked around, beaten to the puck every time, and losing every single puck battle, then just standing and watching the guy skate away, is embarrassing. Smyth iis not suited to be playing any more than 2 games out of every three, and never on back to backs.

Petrel is better than smyth defensively, but is still not someone you throw onto a line responsible for some nice goals and sustained pressure. He's more than useless offensively, and as much as i love his pking, he has no place on any other team in the league.

I understand krueger doesn't have many defensive stalwarts to choose from when it comes to forwards (Which really makes it hard to explain why prv was benched), but if thats the case i'd rather keep pounding the pucks at the net than watch my team play like its on a pk the whole games because 1/3 of every line is ****ing useless.

Last edited by Hopelessoilfan: 03-10-2013 at 09:53 PM. Reason: \
Hopelessoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:52 PM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1500
Quote:

No, its playing not to lose. There is a difference. Basically he is saying we will prioritize defense over offense, even though our strength should be and likely is offense, especially in a game like that. Its not like Yakupov hasnt scored some huge goals late this year already, but sadly it looks like he wont be getting any more opportunities to do that anymore.

What is equally sad is that there are people that feel this is a viable strategy and look to dismiss/speak out against those who have a different opinion.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:54 PM
Ol' Jase
No mas, Adam. No mas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
most people are on krueger for not playing paajarvi tonight, at least i am... i understand not playing yakupov in the 3rd... paajarvi is one of our best defensive forwards on the entire team... to not play him in the 3rd very much is crazy-talk (but i shouldn't expect anything more from krueger at this point, he has shown that he has no idea what he is doing)
So if we play Paajarvi more in the third period tonight we win?

Old
03-10-2013, 09:55 PM
Koto

also funny yakupov didnt even get on the powerplay with 4 minutes left, and both units split time equally.

did krugs have him suiting up in goalie gear just in case?

maybe yak should just head out after 40, sitting in soggy hockey gear while you cool down is so gross.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:59 PM
sdeol44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
So if we play Paajarvi more in the third period tonight we win?
loll well said.. We beat a team that only lost 1 time in regulation , and none at home ..after 2 of the most brutal performances i have ever seen. Scoring no goals and letting in 9 in those 2.. We got 2pts we desperately needed.. Lol if there are hockey gods.. and we are still complain..after all that... i am guessing he feeds us a couple more nashville games soon.

sdeol44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:59 PM
ToeMcDrag83
5-14-6-1

I thought Potter and Whitney were very good tonight. Both better than their respective Schultz partners.

Lucky to escape with 2 points. But we take what we can get and run at this point. We're having an absolutely woeful road trip at 2-4-2, squeezing wins any way you can out of the last couple games is all you can ask for really.

ToeMcDrag83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:00 PM
Ol' Jase
No mas, Adam. No mas

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
What is equally sad is that there are people that feel this is a viable strategy and look to dismiss/speak out against those who have a different opinion.

And here we go with the "no debate allowed" good times...

You claim not playing our biggest defensive liability right now in a 6-5 game as a non-viable strategy because...you say so?

Old
03-10-2013, 10:01 PM
McFuhryous

I honestly believe the Dubnyk flub was what woke up the Hawks. From that point forward, they outscored the Oilers 5-2 and controlled the play more often than not. Good thing the Oilers powerplay was effective tonight. I know Horcelese gets ragged on, but I thought he played pretty well. He by no means was the best player, but he wasn't invisible either.

McFuhryous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:01 PM
Crobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
also funny yakupov didnt even get on the powerplay with 4 minutes left, and both units split time equally.

did krugs have him suiting up in goalie gear just in case?

maybe yak should just head out after 40, sitting in soggy hockey gear while you cool down is so gross.
We got burned for SH goal already and let a 2 on 1 happen when Dubnyk got hurt by having 4 forwards playing on the PP. I have no problem with us putting a defensemen out there instead with 4 min left

Crobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:04 PM
missinthejets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Notice how many of us was proposing spreading the top six over 3 lines, and look at offense we got tonight, only took our coach 25 games to reconize this , Hf Oil 7 games.
Hell of a lot easier to spread things out when you have a 3rd NHL calibre centre available rather than having to rely on a guy who can't produce offense and ahl players, or an old winger out of position.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:07 PM
Soliloquy of a Dogge
part of the problem

Get a 4-0 lead. Hang on to win 6-5.

This team is something else. Glad I didn't see it. It is Chicago but come on...

Soliloquy of a Dogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:11 PM
Johnny McBravo
Hello Connor

Bet all my vcash on the oil! too bad it was only 100.

Johnny McBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:11 PM
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:

Explain why Yak got no PP time in the last power play then, this team was not playing to win, it was playing not to lose.

Trafalgar McLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:13 PM
ToeMcDrag83
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhryous View Post
I honestly believe the Dubnyk flub was what woke up the Hawks. From that point forward, they outscored the Oilers 5-2 and controlled the play more often than not. Good thing the Oilers powerplay was effective tonight. I know Horcelese gets ragged on, but I thought he played pretty well. He by no means was the best player, but he wasn't invisible either.
We should name him Dubnyk the Deflator.

ToeMcDrag83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:15 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Maybe Harski knocked some sense into Dubnyk there, I missed that first goal the hawks scored. What a doozy.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:17 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
Explain why Yak got no PP time in the last power play then, this team was not playing to win, it was playing not to lose.
Because Chicago was getting SH chances, and they couldn't afford to have Yakupov getting caught as a defenceman back against Toews or Hossa. Yakupov got burnt badly on the play where Dubnyk got hurt.

I don't like when Smyth and Petrell get moved up the lineup, but at the same time I understand that the Oilers are more likely to give up a goal with Yakupov out there than they are to score one, especially against Chicago. So I can't really get on Kreuger for that. However, I don't think he should be benched when the team is up by two on a team like Colorado or Dallas.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:18 PM
AK Dandyman

Great game by Brown. Played his 4th line role nicely.

Scored a goal, provided energy and good defensively. Very smart in not taking the bait to fight when we had the 3-0 lead.

AK Dandyman is offline   Reply With Quote