HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers win 6-5 ...no, that's not a typo

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-11-2013, 03:49 AM
  #201
LaGu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Luxembourg
Posts: 2,652
vCash: 500
Yesterday (or rather the day before...) is history, tomorrow is anyone's guess but after that first period... I felt something like this (and it was f***ing great):


LaGu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:27 AM
  #202
The Perfect Human*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Please provide a list of Oiler dmen that ARE handling their roles.

A blank sheet of paper should suffice.
You're right. And it's frustrating to see. Management is yet to address our BIGGEST need and is instead focusing on the forward group.

None of our D is ready for the roles they've been given. Smid/Petry are a second pairing group (atm) playing top-pairing minutes. And Potter/Whitney and Schultz+Schultz are all 5/6 defensemen, neither of which capable of second-pairing minutes.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:59 AM
  #203
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,534
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Whitney's probably coming to the realization that he could be traded so he's trying to put his best foot forward.
that or he has finally played enough games to shake the rust that he has accumulated the last 2 years with injuries. Whitney has been great on this road trip and is bringing the offence he was always capable of. Petry seems to be finding his game as well although its a bit slower to come around. Dont look now but whitney the guy we all wanted to cut/press box has more goals than Nuge.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:06 AM
  #204
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lord of HFBOARDS
Country: United Nations
Posts: 69,176
vCash: 50
at least DD is better then Denis

__________________
**Avatar approved by the powers that be***
jumptheshark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:12 AM
  #205
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 30,607
vCash: 2627
Two things not really all that important.

But when Hossa put his hand on the puck late in the game isn't that a penalty? I guess the refs forget the rule too?

The Brookbank goal, with today's technology they should have an angle regardless. What's going to happen in a big game when someone with an Iphone has better evidence then the NHL?

The game itself is what I expected out of this team this year. End to end hockey with high pace and scoring.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:17 AM
  #206
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,534
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Two things not really all that important.

But when Hossa put his hand on the puck late in the game isn't that a penalty? I guess the refs forget the rule too?

The Brookbank goal, with today's technology they should have an angle regardless. What's going to happen in a big game when someone with an Iphone has better evidence then the NHL?

The game itself is what I expected out of this team this year. End to end hockey with high pace and scoring.
now if we could just figure out a way to break open the trap teams, chicago plays the same style we do so run and gun works but the LA, PHX, STL, MINN, CAL etc we need to be able to bring the pain.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:20 AM
  #207
fuswald
I'd Be Fired
 
fuswald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 735
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessy View Post
Tell me about it. That's easily the best team in the league outside of goaltending - it isn't close and their record speaks to that. People want the Oilers to take the play to them the entire game and win 10-0. There's no tougher building to win in and the Oilers got the two points. When you get up by four goals in this league you don't keep playing run and gun.
The only thing that worked well on this road trip was run and gun. It was working fine even against Chicago.

Is successful and entertaining so no reason to go back to the losing boring method.

Like Browns fighting. Flurry of shots and you can down a Goliath.

fuswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:22 AM
  #208
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,534
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuswald View Post
The only thing that worked well on this road trip was run and gun. It was working fine even against Chicago.

Is successful and entertaining so no reason to go back to the losing boring method.

Like Browns fighting. Flurry of hits and you can down a Goliath.
exactly, dont play all game to keep the other team from getting one, make them score 5 by pumping in 6

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:40 AM
  #209
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 30,607
vCash: 2627
Jones just a healthy scratch last night or did I miss something from Friday?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:52 AM
  #210
The Perfect Human*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Jones just a healthy scratch last night or did I miss something from Friday?
I'd rather have him than Hartikainen on that third line with RNH/Ebs

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:03 AM
  #211
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
I'd rather have him than Hartikainen on that third line with RNH/Ebs
... why?
I think 56 is the perfect winger for those two, makes space for them and can hang onto the puck and cycle it.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:09 AM
  #212
The Perfect Human*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
... why?
I think 56 is the perfect winger for those two, makes space for them and can hang onto the puck and cycle it.
Jones does the exact same thing, and can actually skate with them, not to mention being much more defensively responsible.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:50 AM
  #213
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Two things not really all that important.

But when Hossa put his hand on the puck late in the game isn't that a penalty? I guess the refs forget the rule too?

The Brookbank goal, with today's technology they should have an angle regardless. What's going to happen in a big game when someone with an Iphone has better evidence then the NHL?

The game itself is what I expected out of this team this year. End to end hockey with high pace and scoring.
I thought it was a penalty too and was like wtf. Also on the late Hall icing, the hawks player was at the puck and couldn't stop on the blue line. Fn refs

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:00 AM
  #214
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
now if we could just figure out a way to break open the trap teams, chicago plays the same style we do so run and gun works but the LA, PHX, STL, MINN, CAL etc we need to be able to bring the pain.
Exactly if we could figure out these teams like Chicago has we would be a lot better but unfortunately we don't have the physical game that Chi plays.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:02 AM
  #215
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Only question I have after this game is why is Hartikainen still on this team?

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:03 AM
  #216
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
... why?
I think 56 is the perfect winger for those two, makes space for them and can hang onto the puck and cycle it.
Kruger, Lowe, Tambo is that you?

So by all this space you're referring to that he's been creating all season what exactly have the results been?

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:05 AM
  #217
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 30,607
vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Only question I have after this game is why is Hartikainen still on this team?
JFJ syndrome.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:09 AM
  #218
ManByng
It's Me OilTastic
 
ManByng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,535
vCash: 500
there were a lot of positives last night for the Oilers, but also negatives....like gassing a 4-0 lead, having to score 6 goals in order to win, and only getting marginal backup goaltending the last few games from Yann Danis. i;d rather re-sign Khabby to a one year contract next year than have Danis as Dubby;s backup.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:10 AM
  #219
trent_vinyl
Registered User
 
trent_vinyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 339
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGuns View Post
good game by Hall , some very nice passes... can anyone describe Whits goal , I missed it and it sound slike Hall made a beauty pass
Except for that 3 on 1 in the 3rd where he laid a knee high pass to Hemsky.

trent_vinyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:12 AM
  #220
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 30,607
vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
there were a lot of positives last night for the Oilers, but also negatives....like gassing a 4-0 lead, having to score 6 goals in order to win, and only getting marginal backup goaltending the last few games from Yann Danis. i;d rather re-sign Khabby to a one year contract next year than have Danis as Dubby;s backup.
Danis struggled in the AHL this year I didn't expect him to be able to do much. The problem with Bulin however is he gets burnt out to easily.

Need someone though.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:13 AM
  #221
The Perfect Human*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trent_vinyl View Post
Except for that 3 on 1 in the 3rd where he laid a knee high pass to Hemsky.
Facepalm moment of the game. Hall has the worst saucer pass I have ever seen for a top6 forward. There are big hulking brutes with better sauce than him. I'd rather have Horcoff attempt one than him.

A goal there would have sealed the win

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:18 AM
  #222
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,534
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Kruger, Lowe, Tambo is that you?

So by all this space you're referring to that he's been creating all season what exactly have the results been?
turnovers and broken plays, at least thats what i saw

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:20 AM
  #223
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,952
vCash: 1400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
You're right. And it's frustrating to see. Management is yet to address our BIGGEST need and is instead focusing on the forward group.

None of our D is ready for the roles they've been given. Smid/Petry are a second pairing group (atm) playing top-pairing minutes. And Potter/Whitney and Schultz+Schultz are all 5/6 defensemen, neither of which capable of second-pairing minutes.
A friend pointed out to me the other day that the system the Oilers are using may be the cause of accross the board regression of our dmen. To a man anyone who was here last year actually seems to be doing worse this season. I dont think that is a coincidence.

Watch for it next game. The dmen are chasing guys out to the point, two dmen in one corner, and sometimes two dmen behind the net at the same time. In the Nashville game it was epidemic that the Preds forwards were in behind our d and in front of the net all game.

Instead of collapsing and defending the house, our dmen look like they are playing man defense and are chasing guys all over the dzone, regularly leaving their traditional positions/responsibilities.

That looks like coaching.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:22 AM
  #224
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
there were a lot of positives last night for the Oilers, but also negatives....like gassing a 4-0 lead, having to score 6 goals in order to win, and only getting marginal backup goaltending the last few games from Yann Danis. i;d rather re-sign Khabby to a one year contract next year than have Danis as Dubby;s backup.
LOL, how is that a realistic option? Don't you see how undurable Khabby is? The fact that it's a groin injury at this age and the fact that the coaches let him play when he tweaked it but it healed in one day.

As much as I've liked the way Khabby has palyed this year he can't be seen as a reliable option moving forward. Mix that with our brilliant coaching and training staff and any goaltender around 36+ likely isn't a great fit here.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:23 AM
  #225
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
turnovers and broken plays, at least thats what i saw
...and that's led to?

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.