Notices

Jersey Sore | Jets lose 3-2 in SO

Old
03-11-2013, 04:32 PM
surixon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
well thats true, it will be a gamble either way. Even now, all we'll get is either a small upgrade with no upside, or a player in a similar position (upside but questionable as to wether he makes it) there's going to be a risk inherent with whichever decision you make regarding burmi. Personally i'd rather we take the risk of holding onto him, unless you do have someone offering a clear upgrade that works long term (as in they are really banking on burmi becoming more then he is)

If were going to take the risk, i'd rather take the risk of holding on to him.
Very true, there is risk either way. I'm not against keeping him, I'm just tired of hearing the "We'll live to regret it" rhetoric from his supporters when that is only one possible outcome of a potential Burmistrov trade.

surixon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:38 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Very true, there is risk either way. I'm not against keeping him, I'm just tired of hearing the "We'll live to regret it" rhetoric from his supporters when that is only one possible outcome of a potential Burmistrov trade.
and that's fair, the realistic measured approach is always best

we may live to regret trading him, then again, we may live to regret not trading him (especially if presented with good value).

a measured and understanding approach is necessary for both sides, i really think any trade with him right now would be a wash

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:39 PM
Back in the Bigs
and lovin' it !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Stolen from the Devils GDT:

Blood sugar crash from those hamburgers at intermission...
that switch to daylight saving time affects some more than others

Back in the Bigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:39 PM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

vCash: 50
The problem with trading a player like Burmi is even though he may have Selke potential, teams generally don't pay much extra for that potential.

It really is best we keep him. Not because of any lost potential, but because he's not a bad fit at all on our team.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:40 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Wheeler and Kane got short leashed last year. I am a Burmi fan and I don't get the fuss here.
Agreed, while I'm not a fan of benching young players his game was starting to regress back to where it was for most of last year so maybe this hits home and he goes back to playing the more simplified effective game that he was playing at the beginning of the year.

As stated above both Kane and Wheeler were benched at times last year and both made the required adjustments i.e. they bought in and haven't looked back since. I get the impression that Burmistrov still hasn't fully bought in and this will maybe push him towards it.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:44 PM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
The problem with trading a player like Burmi is even though he may have Selke potential, teams generally don't pay much extra for that potential.

It really is best we keep him. Not because of any lost potential, but because he's not a bad fit at all on our team.
Not that I'm advocating trading him but what do you guys think we would get for Burmi in a trade, 1st round pick? player and pick? player? multiple picks? Eberle?

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:45 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Not that I'm advocating trading him but what do you guys think we would get for Burmi in a trade, 1st round pick? player and pick? player? multiple picks? Eberle?
We would be adding for Eberle.

I really have no clue about his value.

truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:46 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon View Post
Agreed, while I'm not a fan of benching young players his game was starting to regress back to where it was for most of last year so maybe this hits home and he goes back to playing the more simplified effective game that he was playing at the beginning of the year.

As stated above both Kane and Wheeler were benched at times last year and both made the required adjustments i.e. they bought in and haven't looked back since. I get the impression that Burmistrov still hasn't fully bought in and this will maybe push him towards it.
agree with you and truck. Until we see how he responds/what happens, it's not a big deal.

Though i don't usually feel burmi's been any worse then anyone, he has seemed to gravitate away from "the system" and that could be why noel has a shorter leash for him, which is a lot more understandable then just having a shorter leash for him due to age/etc.

ex a players not performing but doing his best and following orders/system SHOULD have a little more leniencey then a player not performing and not following the system, because true or not, there's always the chance that if the player played the system, the production would come (and thus the lack of performance onus is entirely on the player, and not the coach, simply due to the unknown)

Old
03-11-2013, 04:48 PM
PaperRockChamp

I'm confident our actual GM won't but it's obvious that this is the worst time to trade Burmi.

A month ago, it was almost a consensus that Burmi was our best player.

PaperRockChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:51 PM
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
So your privy to what Noel is telling Burmi and the assignments he gives him etc., Burmi follows and executes everything Noel and the coaching staff tell him to do and yet he gets benched right?
my point is why is he getting singled out, IMO he has outplayed Jokinen big time why has Jokinen not been benched yet?

bigplay41* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
my point is why is he getting singled out, IMO he has outplayed Jokinen big time why has Jokinen not been benched yet?
well personally, i don't think he really has outplayed jokinen one for one, but jokinen hasn't been very good i'll give you that.

The difference being, Jokinen has been playing the game exactly the way Noel asks him too. Burmi, only lately mind you, seems to have drifted form the system.

If jokinens failing to produce doing exactly what the coach asks, it could be argued that the coach is at fault for his lack of production.

If Burmi isn't doing what the coach asks, that argument can't be made, and thus at this point, it seems more likely burmi is at fault for his lack of production.

....unfortunately..the underlying numbers to dont' really say burmi is lacking production.

Still, its a one game benching. That's hardly a death sentence.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:10 PM
surixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
and that's fair, the realistic measured approach is always best

we may live to regret trading him, then again, we may live to regret not trading him (especially if presented with good value).

a measured and understanding approach is necessary for both sides, i really think any trade with him right now would be a wash
I agree that the most likely outcome if he were traded right now would be for a like player with similar upside which is why if management has decided to move him they'd be best to wait for the summer when there will be a number of teams that will need to get under the CAP and we could potentially snare a real good player that may not fit.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:18 PM
surixon

Quote:
Jokinen started the year on the first line and was dropped to the third line when he wasn't performing so I'd say there have been repercussions for his play.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:23 PM
jetkarma*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperRockChamp View Post

A month ago, it was almost a consensus that Burmi was our best player.
That is highly inaccurate. Some posters stated that , but by no means did that make it an actuality.

jetkarma* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:50 PM
broinwhyteridge

Quote:
the way Claude Noel handles Burmistrov is mind boggling to me. Honestly he seems to have something against the kid. Burmis leach is a lot shorter then some other guys on this team.
Maybe that's part of the problem; he's lost too much blood.

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Che vy Teemuchuk

Whoa nelly. I think the trading Burmi speculation here is a bit overheated. I'm fine with how Noel has dealt with Burmi lately. He's needed a boot to the rump. But let's not get crazy. Earlier this year he was the player I most looked forward to seeing on the ice. He's lost his way a bit here, just like last season. I'm glad Noel is taking a hard stance here to snap him out of it.

Unless Chevy is cooking up a barn burner wow factor deal, I don't see any move coming here. I am curious about how a player like him is valued right now by GMs around the league. But I'd be shocked if he is traded unless as part of a BIG deal.

Che vy Teemuchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:46 PM
Tdoe42

Burmi should be on a short leash he is still young and cant let these bad habits creep into his game.

Trading him would do no good. He has no value right now being young and unproven the only option is to turn him into a good hockey player in time

Tdoe42 is offline   Reply With Quote