HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

A look back at the Roy trade

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-09-2013, 06:54 PM
  #1
Sabresfansince1980
Registered User
 
Sabresfansince1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: from Wheatfield, NY
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,220
vCash: 500
A look back at the Roy trade

This has been discussed before, but I'm curious to know what people think as this trade deadline nears. I was of the opinion, which I posted vehemently, to hold onto Roy until he could play his trade value up a little, and try to deal him at this deadline when teams typically overpay anyway (or suffer an injury they need to fill, like Chicago and Patrick Sharp). I also didn't want to trade Roy until a replacement was acquired. Ott and Pardy was a confusing return to me, as Ott brings little more than grit and Pardy was/is a cap dump. It seemed like Buffalo was willing to get under value just to get rid of Roy.

So fast forward and obviously Ott has been enjoyable to watch while bringing some hustle and energy to games, but the hole at C is blatently hurting the team. Roy now has 3-12-15 in 18 games with a +7 rating, and would seem to be an answer to any teams desire for secondary scoring down the middle. I can only assume that Roy would catch a better return right now than Ott and Pardy. What that could be is anyone's guess, but probably a 1st rd pick for any contender finishing with a late draft order, or a high end prospect. I like Ott, and maybe he would seem more valuable with a better FW group, but I'd rather have the futures with this draft class.

Sabresfansince1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 06:57 PM
  #2
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Richmond, VA
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 29,079
vCash: 500
I love Ott to death. But I have a feeling that this was the trade that garnered the talk about how other GMs know the Sabres are nothing to worry about with Darcy at the helm

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:10 PM
  #3
Deevo
Registered User
 
Deevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,319
vCash: 50
I don't think Roy would have resigned in Buffalo after this season, and I also think that Steve Ott could be a Sabre for a long time (pure speculation).

I do the trade still.

Deevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:11 PM
  #4
Dreakon13
Registered User
 
Dreakon13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mighty Taco, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,481
vCash: 500
Roy could be going at a 2PPG pace and I wouldn't regret the trade. It was time to move on and Ott is a step in the right direction.

Dreakon13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:19 PM
  #5
stokes84
Registered User
 
stokes84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 14,209
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Hated it at the time and my opinion hasn't changed. However, I do like Ott more than I thought I would. Roy is having a very nice year, leading Dallas in assists and +/- despite missing a number of games. Not surprising. The guy got the shaft around here by a lot of clueless people. The way this town turned on Derek Roy was embarrassing. Paul Hamilton, the Bulldog, etc... Those guys get paid to do what they do? Gross.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:20 PM
  #6
ROR
fka BCS
 
ROR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,979
vCash: 500
I liked the trade when I assumed Regier was going to acquire a defensive-minded center to follow it. I liked it less when he didn't. Big fan of Ott, though. He's as advertised.

ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:21 PM
  #7
Rasmus Reichel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,000
vCash: 500
He only wouldve been here for this year and we wouldve been a fringe playoff team at best so who cares? Ott will be here for likely a few years. Keeping roy would've been bad asset management

Rasmus Reichel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:27 PM
  #8
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 7,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Hated it at the time and my opinion hasn't changed. However, I do like Ott more than I thought I would. Roy is having a very nice year, leading Dallas in assists and +/- despite missing a number of games. Not surprising. The guy got the shaft around here by a lot of clueless people. The way this town turned on Derek Roy was embarrassing. Paul Hamilton, the Bulldog, etc... Those guys get paid to do what they do? Gross.
Yeah I totally agree.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 07:44 PM
  #9
tsujimoto74
Moderator
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 15,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreakon View Post
Roy could be going at a 2PPG pace and I wouldn't regret the trade. It was time to move on and Ott is a step in the right direction.
Agreed. I also feel that Roy was as good as gone once he got to UFA status anyway, while Ott seems like a likely bet to stick around/re-sign.

We overpaid for Ott, for sure, but I don't even really mind.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:23 PM
  #10
Go to Sleep
CM Vanek
 
Go to Sleep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Buffalo, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 119
vCash: 500
I actually still have my Roy jersey. Ha.

I miss Roy sometimes. He was a pretty good player but this team needed to be more 'aggressive' and harder to play against.

Go to Sleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 08:59 PM
  #11
OcAirlines
Registered User
 
OcAirlines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,666
vCash: 500
I'm still very happy with Ott, he is a great player for us and we should be happy to have him. But I do agree to a certain extent, I never liked the thought that just getting rid of Roy would somehow magically make us a better team, this whole "addition by substraction" thing looked kind of overblown to me, at least in Roys case. Now of course we don't know if anything would've gone different with Roy on this team, but I think the current season shows that just getting rid of him solved nothing. If he was a part of the problem, then he was only a small one, and bigger stepps should've been taken. But while I never thought that Roy was one of the guys that we should rely on to lead the team (but sadly that's what our leadership did), I also didn't consider him a big problem. Every team has some guys that you don't want to lead the team, the key is to surround them with guys you do want in a leadership role. And I think that's where we failed.

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:00 PM
  #12
PlamsUnlimited
PUMP IT UP PUEMPEL
 
PlamsUnlimited's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 22,987
vCash: 919
Solved little, still the holes remain and they need to be accounted for to make this team successful.

PlamsUnlimited is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:03 PM
  #13
Chainshot
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 65,320
vCash: 500
Awards:
Deck chairs have been shuffled. The biggest failing for the on-ice product is probably Regier's inability to find an adequate replacement center last summer.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:07 PM
  #14
VaporTrail
Used Tank Salesman
 
VaporTrail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Buffalo
Country: Ireland
Posts: 3,209
vCash: 500
Loved the trade when it happened, and love it now...Love being a lot tougher with Ott...Love Ott's leadership, and I hope he is signed here for another contract after his current....

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:18 PM
  #15
Freezerburn
Registered User
 
Freezerburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Beamsville, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Deck chairs have been shuffled. The biggest failing for the on-ice product is probably Regier's inability to find an adequate replacement center last summer.
Complete agreement. As much as I like Steve Ott as a player I don't think that was a good trade and is a key reason why we struggle to score/control play this year. I thought that no replacing Roy's offense in the lineup should have resulted in Regier being let go prior to the season.

When Drury and Briere left, Darcy was more indirectly involved in the sense that they chose to leave and then weren't replaced. This time Regier chose to trade Roy away and then did not replace him.

Freezerburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:27 PM
  #16
Chainshot
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 65,320
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezerburn View Post
Complete agreement. As much as I like Steve Ott as a player I don't think that was a good trade and is a key reason why we struggle to score/control play this year. I thought that no replacing Roy's offense in the lineup should have resulted in Regier being let go prior to the season.

When Drury and Briere left, Darcy was more indirectly involved in the sense that they chose to leave and then weren't replaced. This time Regier chose to trade Roy away and then did not replace him.
I love what Ott brings - the physical play, the off-ice accountability/accessibility and candor. That said, they went into the year without adequate center experience and losing both their primary defensive zone start pivots in the last year (Roy and Gaustad) and replacing them with youth tends to burn a team. It certainly burned Ruff right out of a job.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:29 PM
  #17
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16
 
Push Dr Tracksuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,858
vCash: 500
1) no I do not miss Derek Roy and I don't plan on missing him at any point

2) gambling that he would make a resurgence in Buf wouldn't gaurentee he puts up the same production

3) even at his current pace I think Ott was about as good a return you could have gotten at the time, it would have been a bigger gamble now that we know about his injury

4) yes Darcy needs a defensive center, but it's completely moot if Tyler Myers looked like a even a shell of his Calder self

Revisionist history thread, we are where we were and I still do it again. Roy wasnt ever going to be the trade that put us over the top and I fault Myers and Ruffs obnoxious line rolling that sees Hodgson getting top D zone minutes far greater.

Push Dr Tracksuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:33 PM
  #18
Eichel 9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,473
vCash: 500
Darcy didn't bother trying to replace Roy because he assumed the F-E-S line would tear the league apart like they did in 13 games together. The holes on the team didn't matter, we have F-E-S!

And yes, the team does miss Roy somewhat - to say any team wouldn't miss a top 6 forward and a good 2nd line centerman is silly. I'm glad he is gone since he was part of the "downtown drinking buddies group" and I felt like I didn't like him having any influence on the new core coming in, but he was still productive on the ice.

Eichel 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:34 PM
  #19
Chainshot
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 65,320
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
1) no I do not miss Derek Roy and I don't plan on missing him at any point

2) gambling that he would make a resurgence in Buf wouldn't gaurentee he puts up the same production

3) even at his current pace I think Ott was about as good a return you could have gotten at the time, it would have been a bigger gamble now that we know about his injury

4) yes Darcy needs a defensive center, but it's completely moot if Tyler Myers looked like a even a shell of his Calder self
Revisionist history thread, we are where we were and I still do it again. Roy wasnt ever going to be the trade that put us over the top and I fault Myers and Ruffs obnoxious line rolling that sees Hodgson getting top D zone minutes far greater.

Agree to disagree. The forwards on this team, particularly the kids playing center, are weak too often to even be carried by any sort of solid defensive zone play by any of the defensemen. Even nights with the d-men are playing well, they don't have good outlet options and there are chronically men free in dangerous positions that forwards are not back to check. Would Myers or any of the d-men be better if they weren't consistently under pressure to be perfect? I think they would. Most of the defensive mess is on the lackluster play of the guys up front and Regier still hasn't done much to address that.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:11 PM
  #20
OcAirlines
Registered User
 
OcAirlines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,666
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I love what Ott brings - the physical play, the off-ice accountability/accessibility and candor. That said, they went into the year without adequate center experience and losing both their primary defensive zone start pivots in the last year (Roy and Gaustad) and replacing them with youth tends to burn a team. It certainly burned Ruff right out of a job.
I definintely agree with you, our inability to win key face-offs and/or exit the zone severly hurts this team. I do think though that our main problem right now are the Wingers, not the Centers. Ennis and Hodgon might be inexperienced and not too strong at the dot, but they aren't the ones who have been disappointing so far, our Wingers outside of Vanek/Pominville have. Especially Stafford but also Gerbe and Foligno and almost our complete bottom-six.

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 10:12 PM
  #21
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16
 
Push Dr Tracksuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Agree to disagree. The forwards on this team, particularly the kids playing center, are weak too often to even be carried by any sort of solid defensive zone play by any of the defensemen. Even nights with the d-men are playing well, they don't have good outlet options and there are chronically men free in dangerous positions that forwards are not back to check. Would Myers or any of the d-men be better if they weren't consistently under pressure to be perfect? I think they would. Most of the defensive mess is on the lackluster play of the guys up front and Regier still hasn't done much to address that.
I'm not addressing poor d zone play, I'm referring more to Myers inability to either skate the puck without loosing it or to make a pass that doesn't result in a turnover. Despite our poor dzone play team has produced offensively. A confident Myers gives us possession and minimizes in zone chances. I realize we give up a lot but half the time it's because we can't pull a breakout and Myers has the ability to run a breakout by himself... Just not so far this season.

Push Dr Tracksuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:22 PM
  #22
BowieSabresFan
Registered User
 
BowieSabresFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
I'm not addressing poor d zone play, I'm referring more to Myers inability to either skate the puck without loosing it or to make a pass that doesn't result in a turnover. Despite our poor dzone play team has produced offensively. A confident Myers gives us possession and minimizes in zone chances. I realize we give up a lot but half the time it's because we can't pull a breakout and Myers has the ability to run a breakout by himself... Just not so far this season.
I think that's putting way too much on Myers' shoulders.

As for the trade, it was only going to be good as the first half of a process. We never did the second trade to acquire a good, defensive-minded center who could win faceoffs. This has hurt the team much more than whatever defects are in Myers' game this year.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 11:41 PM
  #23
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16
 
Push Dr Tracksuit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowieSabresFan View Post
I think that's putting way too much on Myers' shoulders.

As for the trade, it was only going to be good as the first half of a process. We never did the second trade to acquire a good, defensive-minded center who could win faceoffs. This has hurt the team much more than whatever defects are in Myers' game this year.
Myers is supposed to be one of our top 3 players and instead he's been 1 of our bottom 3. That's a hard hole for a team to overcome.

Push Dr Tracksuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:12 AM
  #24
Sabresfansince1980
Registered User
 
Sabresfansince1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: from Wheatfield, NY
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,220
vCash: 500
Some responses seem to hint about this topic being Roy vs Ott, but that isn't necessarily so. I believe Roy needed to be traded, just not as early as it did. I like Ott, but I don't think he was necessarily the asset that should've come back for Roy. Ott has one more year under contract and there's nothing to say he's going to re-sign with Buffalo. Whether he does re-sign is a big "if". If he walks as a UFA next summer I think that makes Buffalo a loser in this trade. With Pardy as a useless depth D-man and a cap dump it may already be a losing trade as is. I'm pretty confidant Buffalo could get a 1st rd pick or a prospect right now that would remain under contract control for many years. I think that outweighs having Ott for one more season (if he walks). Even if Ott re-signs he'll have to produce a little more for me to feel good about it. Energy, hustle, and leadership (whatever amount he brings to the team right now) isn't making any more difference than Roy's production and lack of intangibles. I guess I'd just rather have a high pick or top prospect than Ott and Pardy, considering where the team is. That's not revisionist history though, because I felt the same last year, about the trade value and where the team was in general.

Sabresfansince1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 12:27 AM
  #25
MARCUS FOLlGNO PHD
~
 
MARCUS FOLlGNO PHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Ras al-Khaimah
Posts: 13,170
vCash: 50
~intangibles~

a loss

MARCUS FOLlGNO PHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.