HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Canucks are in a tailspin

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2013, 12:15 AM
sobrio

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip2mybordeleau View Post
yeah andrew ebbett was sure a better option than him at the beginning of the year
Cody can get away with a one way game in Buffalo, people also forget he wanted out. No one thought Kesler would get injured again, and when Kesler's healthy and on the ice Hodgson is but a distant memory - he wanted to be a top forward in Vancouver and he didn't fit.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:22 AM
serge2k

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Well he made the Canucks the year before and took his game to another level this year. I'm not buying into it that he wouldn't make their team.
Hodgson is the worst defensive player in NHL history and it's not even remotely close.

In fact he is the worst defensive player in any sport that has a concept of defense.

He even works extra hard to be bad defensively.

These facts became apparent to me after gillis trashed him in the media to avoid people questioning the trade.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:24 AM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
what do they want from the isles for booth and ballard?
Ballard + ??? for Visnovsky?

Booth... he's not as bad as fans are saying. Really needs to get going soon.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:25 AM
Steve Bennett*

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Hodgson is the worst defensive player in NHL history and it's not even remotely close.

In fact he is the worst defensive player in any sport that has a concept of defense.

He even works extra hard to be bad defensively.

These facts became apparent to me after gillis trashed him in the media to avoid people questioning the trade.
I would say that is a minor exaggeration. It's not fair to say he works hard to be bad defensively. I disagree with that sentence.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:29 AM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bennett View Post
I would say that is a minor exaggeration. It's not fair to say he works hard to be bad defensively. I disagree with that sentence.
Most of it comes naturally, but his dad demanded to be allowed to privately coach him on how to be worse defensively.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:33 AM
rypper

If the Canucks don't bump the slump against Columbus, you have to believe the injuries excuse will not cover AV's job any longer.

If they do let AV go I'm not sure about the market for coaches right now...

Old
03-11-2013, 12:44 AM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypper View Post
If the Canucks don't bump the slump against Columbus, you have to believe the injuries excuse will not cover AV's job any longer.

There's plenty of good coaches out there, maybe not big names but there are tons of guys I would give a shot over AV right now. Too much talent on this team(if everyone is actually giving a full/focused/well coached effort) for this to continue happening.

Dallas Eakins
Jon Cooper
Lindy Ruff
Larry Robinson

Just a few guys I wouldn't mind seeing behind the bench, I'm sure there are plenty others. But it all depends on availability.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:50 AM
Swedish playmaker*

Did the Nucks change their system or something? A few years ago they were a blast 2 watch, now seeing the Nucks is worse than seeing paint dry - just the same situation as Washington.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:52 AM
Swedish playmaker*

Did the Nucks change their system or something? A few years ago they were a blast 2 watch, now seeing the Nucks is worse than seeing paint dry - just the same situation as Washington.

Do they have any real scorers? Sedins are first and foremost playmakers. Don't follow the Nucks that much so i don't know what type of player burrows/kessler/Raymond are

Ops, double post.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:54 AM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxenstierna View Post
System got stale, teams figured it out. It also no longer plays to the strengths of the personal currently on the team. Furthermore very few players feel inspired to play the full 60 minutes. When they are actually trying like they did against LA and San Jose a few games ago its extremely entertaining but those games are coming fewer and farther between. Just bad coaching overall imo.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:04 AM
Steve Bennett*

Quote:

Do they have any real scorers? Sedins are first and foremost playmakers. Don't follow the Nucks that much so i don't know what type of player burrows/kessler/Raymond are

Ops, double post.
Holy hostility, the Canucks are doing excellent thank-you very much. Before tonights' game their winning pctg was 6th in the league. Last year they were at that point or worse two months into the season and they ended up on top. They'll end up on top again no doubt about it - it's just a small slump, we'll survive it thank you very much - and without sympathy from fans from the nations' capital...

Old
03-11-2013, 01:10 AM
Swedish playmaker*

Quote:
Holy hostility, the Canucks are doing excellent thank-you very much. Before tonights' game their winning pctg was 6th in the league. Last year they were at that point or worse two months into the season and they ended up on top. They'll end up on top again no doubt about it - it's just a small slump, we'll survive it thank you very much - and without sympathy from fans from the nations' capital...
At least I can admit the Caps went from being the most exciting team to watch to one of the least exciting ones, please don't argue for the Nucks being fun to watch these days, they arent

Old
03-11-2013, 01:10 AM
Crows*

Quote:
This goes beyond this year. This goes back to last year. Stale ,uninspired hockey. Their pp and skill is no longer going to win Them a presidents trophy.

This team needs a shake up .

Old
03-11-2013, 01:13 AM
Zombotron
WD-57

Quote:

Burrows is a skilled grinder, Kesler had one-shot scoring ability but we haven't seen it since 2011, and Raymond has the capability for it but he's not a pure sniper.

Not a whole lot of one-shot scorers here.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:17 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
At least I can admit the Caps went from being the most exciting team to watch to one of the least exciting ones, please don't argue for the Nucks being fun to watch these days, they arent
Sadly, we're doing what the Caps did a year ago. Coaching leaves much to be desired too...

Old
03-11-2013, 01:24 AM
Devonator

Quote:
Good for buphalo but he wouldn't even make the Vancouver Canucks' lineup this year with our depth. I wish the guy well though and hope he can turn things around for himself...
Hilarious........Homer much...

Old
03-11-2013, 01:29 AM
Lawzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypper View Post

I'm going to continue to ask this until I get an answer that I feel holds merit:

Why do you think the Canucks going 11-7-6 after winning 2 President's Trophies in a row is grounds for dismissal?

Because even if you give me a respond I agree with I highly doubt management is ready to can the most successful coach in franchise history because he is nearing .500 in 25 games.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:32 AM
kthsn

vCash: 1785
Quote:
We went from a quick transition (mostly Ehrhoff) and puck possession team where the Sedins/Kesler would take all the offensive zone FOs and Manny would clean up defensively.

Now we are a bigger, tougher team that can't break out as quickly (Garrison, Lappy) and we are currently dealing with key injuries to Bieska and Kesler.

If we replace Ballard with a right side puck mover and add a left hand C then the Canucks could easily go back to the style in '11.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:46 AM
VanCanucks14

For those of you saying the core is old and past their prime..that's BS. The Sedins are 32, Kesler is 28, our dmen are all 31 or under etc. All of our players are still in their prime. That old core excuse is still a couple of years away.

It's the coach.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:48 AM
unifiedtheory

Quote:
Good for buphalo but he wouldn't even make the Vancouver Canucks' lineup this year with our depth. I wish the guy well though and hope he can turn things around for himself...
Hodgson would not have "cracked your lineup"? Your #2 center is currently Mason Raymond. You started the season with Andrew Ebbett taking a regular shift.

Hilarious. Wouldn't crack your lineup.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:49 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budddy View Post
they have won Presidents trophy in the past because they play in a weak division...point total was inflated...
Yeah and that division has changed much? The thread is about the change in performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chugz View Post
This team is past its prime. I think they'll miss the playoffs next season or the season after.

I bet Kesler returning won't change a thing.
Or the season after those, or another one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Might help if he could get a consistent partner and not have to play his off side.

Parts of this are probably due to the compressed schedule. Would think that a full training camp would have helped the defense immensely.
I do not get it, it is clear that Edler plays tons worse on the off side. In fact the loss in capacity with him off side is bigger than having anyone else on their off side. I guess AV is like "you got a new and good contract so now you must learn to play on your off side".

Old
03-11-2013, 01:50 AM
Windy River

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawzy View Post
I'm going to continue to ask this until I get an answer that I feel holds merit:

Why do you think the Canucks going 11-7-6 after winning 2 President's Trophies in a row is grounds for dismissal?

Because even if you give me a respond I agree with I highly doubt management is ready to can the most successful coach in franchise history because he is nearing .500 in 25 games.
Actually with this loss they are getting even further below, not nearer to .500
11-7-6 = 11-13

That said AV is not the prob, there are many different problems, most of which have been spelled out quite well in this thread. Goalie contract situation, changing team identity, aging core, trading away good centers and now running scoreless 2-4 lines... things like that.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:52 AM
unifiedtheory

Quote:
6 teams have less ROW's. 5-5-5 record against teams outside the worst division in the league.

Ended up at the top? I must have missed the parade. I remember them getting dispatched in 5 games against the L.A. Kings in the first round.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:57 AM
VanCanucks14

Quote:
Originally Posted by unifiedtheory View Post
Hodgson would not have "cracked your lineup"? Your #2 center is currently Mason Raymond. You started the season with Andrew Ebbett taking a regular shift.

Hilarious. Wouldn't crack your lineup.
HOW have you people not figured out his shtick yet?

And for all those mentioned Hodgson, I like Hodgson and constantly defend him but he's not our savior. He wouldn't magically solve all of our problems.

Last edited by VanCanucks14: 03-11-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old
03-11-2013, 02:01 AM
Lawzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy River View Post
Actually with this loss they are getting even further below, not nearer to .500
11-7-6 = 11-13

That said AV is not the prob, there are many different problems, most of which have been spelled out quite well in this thread. Goalie contract situation, changing team identity, aging core, trading away good centers and now running scoreless 2-4 lines... things like that.
It's up for the debate whether or not one considers a shootout loss a loss outright.

5 of those 6 losses past 60 minutes are SOL.

I may just be stuck in the golden era when after 65 minutes the game ended without a winner or a loser, though.

EDIT:

Unified you're better than this. It's Steve fkn Bennett FFS.

Closed Thread