HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Canucks are in a tailspin

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2013, 02:03 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

vCash: 500
Maybe Canuck fans can educate me, because I only get to see the games when they play the Kings.

But from what I've seen, it looks like their offensive game is centered around board play and chances generated from the point... and whatever magic the Sedins conjure up.

Given the personnel you have, it seems to be the "right" system. Do you really think firing AV to bring in a different coach and system is going to make them more effective? Or is it more about AV's personality? Or is it more?

Because I can speak from the Kings' perspective; they were playing uninspired, passive hockey under Terry Murray up until his termination. Sutter didn't change the system a whole lot, he just changed the attitude and approach to the game more than anything.

So I guess the short version is: are you looking for a coach with a new system, or new message?

Edit: obviously this is more directed at people blaming AV. I'm not going to pretend to know the source of the Canucks' struggles.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:05 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickSmehlik View Post
They actually have decent offensive talent but I don't get Vigneault's system.

They play like they are a Nashville or a Minnesota who don't quite have the top end talent and need to play safe, boring hockey if they want to be successful.
Niether do we.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J StClair28 View Post
Weird that some teams play defense, isn't it?
Actually we aren't that good at that either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posey View Post
Sharks are worse. Only 2 ROW in last 18 games. Want to trade coaches?
Please! That also includes assistant coaches too, and no take backs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySheen View Post
top heavy team with mediocre depth, buncha money tied up in 2nd pairing D, and a goaltending situation that needs to be resolved
Mediocre depth?

Sedins + Burr
Booth - Kesler - Kassian (Higgins)
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Sestito - Lappierre - Higgins (Kassian)
Weise

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Ballard - Tanev
Alberts

I think our depth is fine, we just aren't playing up to par and injuries have set in, we also need a 3rd line center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Letting Ehrhoff walk and trading Cody for Kassian was a pretty clear indication of this. You are so spot on with this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
I have no idea what Gillis is doing. I'm not a huge fan of AV, but Gillis is the one who traded Hodgson, let Ehrhoff walk, has mismanaged the Luongo situation very badly, and hasn't filled the holes that were created over the last few seasons. He's letting his stars get older and watching the window close around him.
Lol yes, choosing to keep Bieksa over Ehrhoff and trading a player who requested a trade is what caused this.

And not injures and playing a system that is old, predictable and doesn't suit our players. Aswell as having terrible PP.

Basically it comes down to goaltending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
They're in a tailspin, but as a fan of another team in the NW, I've watched them enough to say that they'll get out of it. Somehow they always do. Rather annoying.
I hope your right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENuck View Post
Yes.. getting rid of the entire coaching staff will turn this boat around.. illogical thinking at it's best.
If you don't think that is the problem, or atleast some of the problem.

I think you need to watch the last 10 games or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7venbarschi View Post
Aging core, no prospects in the pipeline, the time frame for the Canucks to win was a few years ago.
I think you described the Flames there but, nice troll attempt.

Last edited by Sergei Shirokov: 03-11-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Old
03-11-2013, 02:06 AM
NoShowWilly

new intro song!!!

Old
03-11-2013, 02:08 AM
Orca Smash

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
Maybe Canuck fans can educate me, because I only get to see the games when they play the Kings.

But from what I've seen, it looks like their offensive game is centered around board play and chances generated from the point... and whatever magic the Sedins conjure up.

Given the personnel you have, it seems to be the "right" system.
Do you really think firing AV to bring in a different coach and system is going to make them more effective? Or is it more about AV's personality? Or is it more?

Because I can speak from the Kings' perspective; they were playing uninspired, passive hockey under Terry Murray up until his termination. Sutter didn't change the system a whole lot, he just changed the attitude and approach to the game more than anything.

So I guess the short version is: are you looking for a coach with a new system, or new message?

Edit: obviously this is more directed at people blaming AV. I'm not going to pretend to know the source of the Canucks' struggles.
Do you think its the right system to play? We played you guys last week and were commenting to each other why were playing along the boards trying to win puck battles against a big team like l.a. where we were out sized and lost most of the battles, besides the sedins who have a strong cycle game along the boards. The end result worked that night...has not been working general.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:22 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
This is without a doubt the most overrated defense corps in the league. Every time I hear someone tout a mediocrity like Hamhuis as a norris contender I lol a little bit.

This is not a team stacked with talent. The Sedins are their only top line talent up front, and it's pretty clear that those 100ish point seasons were the fluke, and that they are PPG talents in reality. Their Dcorps is expensive but has no elite talent on it whatsoever. A collection of a few solid #2-4 guys, but nothing special.

And their depth is nothing to write home about, either.

Their trump card has always been goaltending, but their goalies aren't performing this year thanks to Gillis messiing with their heads real good.

And this is a team that needs that goaltending to be good.....if their goaltending is mediocre, that team is mediocre.

Based on history, their goaltending should improve, so they should still be a comfortable playoff team....but if it doesn't, they're a bubble team.
No not really, the Sedins are continuing to carry our team offensively.

And no our defense is better than you think, but alright continue to roll in negativity, it is a slump but a simple coaching change would do wonders for this group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1989 View Post
Outside of missing the offensive juggernaut that is Jan Bulis - injuries and players not playing like themselves; or now back down to earth. No scoring depth (only 8 players in double digits, Calgary has 9, to put that into perspective) Yet it's more than just missing Kesler because they had a fine record with him on the IR to start the season. Maybe when he came back they became complacent? Who knows - then you throw in the possobility of them no longer showing face for AV and you have a problem. Plus:
Edler has completely disappeared on both sides of the puck.
Kassain has now been relegated to the 4th line and can no longer score.
PP has been horrid.
They no longer win many puck battles.
Lack of chemistry.

They really need a playmaking winger for that second line, too many of the same players. Tanguay would be dynamite there, for example.

Or it could just be a minor slump.
Your almost right, although Kassian has been in the top 9 the last few games and has looked good, I thought he had a real nice game tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Well he made the Canucks the year before and took his game to another level this year. I'm not buying into it that he wouldn't make their team.
I hope people don't think we are all like Steve Bennet

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
what do they want from the isles for booth and ballard?
Grabner + Visnovsky + Bailey for Ballard + Booth + Connaution + 2014 1st?

Old
03-11-2013, 02:24 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Niether do we.

Actually we aren't that good at that either.

Please! That also includes assistant coaches too, and no take backs.

Mediocre depth?

Sedins + Burr
Booth - Kesler - Kassian (Higgins)
Raymond - Schroeder - Hansen
Sestito - Lappierre - Higgins (Kassian)
Weise

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Garrison
Ballard - Tanev
Alberts

I think our depth is fine, we just aren't playing up to par and injuries have set in, we also need a 3rd line center.

Lol yes, choosing to keep Bieksa over Ehrhoff and trading a player who requested a trade is what caused this.

And not injures and playing a system that is old, predictable and doesn't suit our players. Aswell as having terrible PP.

Basically it comes down to goaltending.

I hope your right.

If you don't think that is the problem, or atleast some of the problem.

I think you need to watch the last 10 games or so.

I think you described the Flames there but, nice troll attempt.
Thing is it was never Bieksa or Ehrhoff.

Gillis tried to sign both. In fact Gillis tried to sign Ehrhoff early in the season but talks broke off abruptly in December 2010. My guess at the time was Ehrhoff either was asking for too much or hoping his season would continue to go well and he could ask for more at the end of the season.

The playoffs before he was injured Ehrhoff was marginal. He wasnt the offense powerhouse and he was getting hammered defensively with the playoff hockey. Im sure MG saw this as well.

Thank god MG didnt sign him to that ridiculous contract Buffalo gave him. We'd have to massive contracts to worry about.

Ehrhoff never was and never was going to be the answer for the canucks.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:28 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post

Gillis tried to sign both. In fact Gillis tried to sign Ehrhoff early in the season but talks broke off abruptly in December 2010. My guess at the time was Ehrhoff either was asking for too much or hoping his season would continue to go well and he could ask for more at the end of the season.

The playoffs before he was injured Ehrhoff was marginal. He wasnt the offense powerhouse and he was getting hammered defensively with the playoff hockey. Im sure MG saw this as well.

Thank god MG didnt sign him to that ridiculous contract Buffalo gave him. We'd have to massive contracts to worry about.

Yeah it came down to those two, we could have kept Ehrhoff but like you I am thankful we chose Bieksa and didn't offer him that insane contract.

Bieksa is more important to this team, just look now at where we are with him out.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:32 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Smash View Post
Do you think its the right system to play? We played you guys last week and were commenting to each other why were playing along the boards trying to win puck battles against a big team like l.a. where we were out sized and lost most of the battles, besides the sedins who have a strong cycle game along the boards. The end result worked that night...has not been working general.
You have a good point. Looking at the line-up again, it might not be the best system for the personnel you have. I was just thinking of the Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Kassian, etc. and while they may not all be the biggest, they are pretty diligent with cycling the puck. But you have good speed with a couple players, too.

Which I guess brings up the next question then: what sort of system do you think should be used? I don't think your faster players have enough of a scoring touch to be effective in a run and gun system. Would you want something like what Phoenix uses, which is strength in transition and very opportunistic?

Again, sorry if these are stupid questions or oversimplified, I don't have center ice and so I can't watch as much as I'd like :/

Old
03-11-2013, 02:36 AM
VanCanucks14

Quote:

How was he not? He was the perfect fit here. And that contract is too long but I'd take it over Garrisons. He added an element the Canucks have always lacked and made our PP a lot better.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:38 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Wouldn't worry too much about tonight's game against Minnesota. Minnesota always plays tough against Vancouver at least once or twice a season. And then Minnesota falls back to obscurity.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:46 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langdon Alger View Post
What's wrong with Vancouver? Same as what's wrong with Washington. They overreacted to a playoff series loss and attempted to change the team's identity when it didn't need changing.
Exactly, got rid of our best transition and PP d-man Ehrhoff, traded skilled Hodgson for grinder Kassian, and brought in a straight ahead head down idiot with no hockey sense and 1 goal in his last 25 games(David Booth) to replace a good puck possession player Sammy.

Our system was fine, our transition game feared, powerplay best in the league, all that is GONE we are soft and slow on defence, and we grind away up front and get nothing from it. We have 5.2 million sitting on the bench and a 4.2 million often scratch number 6 d-man(Ballard) we are wasting money and assets and are overall not a cup threat IMO.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:50 AM
NugentHopkinsfan

Quote:

Really? You haven't noticed that since he's been gone the powerplay has been awful, the transition game fallen apart, our d-men can't pinch and create and keep plays alive in the offensive zone? the guy could play 25 minutes and have a bigger impact on the game than he was given credit because ''he wasn't good enough in his own zone'' but he was actually more physical than all our d-men except Bieksa and his skating alone allowed us to play a style of hockey that played to our best players strengths. We NEED a skating, puck moving d-man badly, we had one and let him go and now have 3 guys making high cap hits and I'd only want Bieksa over him.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:52 AM
CookieCrumbs*
Heads Up!

A little adversity to put this fan base to the test.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:57 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Yeah it came down to those two, we could have kept Ehrhoff but like you I am thankful we chose Bieksa and didn't offer him that insane contract.

Bieksa is more important to this team, just look now at where we are with him out.
It didnt. Unless you have a quote or something to that effect to indicate it.

MG tried to sign Ehrhoff and talks broke down in December and fairly abruptly.

That seem to indicate to me that the only way Ehrhoff was staying was through an insane contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanucks17 View Post
How was he not? He was the perfect fit here. And that contract is too long but I'd take it over Garrisons. He added an element the Canucks have always lacked and made our PP a lot better.
Boo hoo. We had an awesome PP when he was here but we lost to the best 5v5 team that year.

Whos to say Ehrhoff wouldnt be struggling now? The issues with the nucks is a lot more than Ehrhoff.

You seem to think Ehrhoff is Shea Weber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Really? You haven't noticed that since he's been gone the powerplay has been awful, the transition game fallen apart, our d-men can't pinch and create and keep plays alive in the offensive zone? the guy could play 25 minutes and have a bigger impact on the game than he was given credit because ''he wasn't good enough in his own zone'' but he was actually more physical than all our d-men except Bieksa and his skating alone allowed us to play a style of hockey that played to our best players strengths. We NEED a skating, puck moving d-man badly, we had one and let him go and now have 3 guys making high cap hits and I'd only want Bieksa over him.
The transition game has fallen apart largely because other teams have figured out how to play it. Which leads me to believe Ehrhoff would be struggling as well. This is what happened to Ehrhoff in the playoffs. His vaunted transition game got shut down (yes before his injury so no excuse). I have no doubt that influenced MGs decisions in terms of what he was willing to sign him for.

The biggest issue with Ehrhoff being gone is being down a right side dman.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:15 AM
sobrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanCanucks17 View Post
I wouldn't have wanted Erhoff for 10 years when he's 39 years old. Good puck moving defenseman but he also had his share of untimely errors... we'll see how that looks for Buffalo in 5 years. As far as Garrison is concerned think of this as his November with a new team that hasn't found the right chemistry yet. I can't think of a worse combination for a defenseman than jumping into a short hectic paced season and no training camp with your new team.

If it makes anyone feel better Ehrhoff hasn't had as many points as he had in Vancouver in as many games, which says a lot about his abilities without the Canucks usually steady defensive system. Ehroff's 2 best NHL seasons were with the Canucks up to this point. He has 0 points in the last 10 games - I'll stick it out with Garrison even if it's just for his first pass, point shot rocket and solid defense around the crease. He needs more time before he's thrown under the bus.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:20 AM
rypper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawzy View Post
I'm going to continue to ask this until I get an answer that I feel holds merit:

Why do you think the Canucks going 11-7-6 after winning 2 President's Trophies in a row is grounds for dismissal?

Because even if you give me a respond I agree with I highly doubt management is ready to can the most successful coach in franchise history because he is nearing .500 in 25 games.
It's the effort put in by the team thus far this season. Its virtually non existant. It feels like a repeat of last year where everyone believed they'd turn it on for the playoffs... and never did. Except this year its even worse, and even harder to watch.

That to me comes down to coaching. the voice in the room is stale and the team needs motivating. Maybe once Kesler and bieksa are back and the general health of the team is 100% things will get a boost but I'm not entirely sold.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:23 AM
VanCanucks14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENuck View Post
I wouldn't have wanted Erhoff for 10 years when he's 39 years old. Good puck moving defenseman but he also had his share of untimely errors... we'll see how that looks for Buffalo in 5 years. As far as Garrison is concerned think of this as his November with a new team that hasn't found the right chemistry yet. I can't think of a worse combination for a defenseman than jumping into a short hectic paced season and no training camp with your new team.

If it makes anyone feel better Ehrhoff hasn't had as many points as he had in Vancouver in as many games, which says a lot about his abilities without the Canucks usually steady defensive system. Ehroff's 2 best NHL seasons were with the Canucks up to this point. He has 0 points in the last 10 games - I'll stick it out with Garrison even if it's just for his first pass, point shot rocket and solid defense around the crease. He needs more time before he's thrown under the bus.
I was just using Garrison as an example but overall I do agree that we should wait until he gets to play a full normal season with the Canucks to fully judge him.

Ehrhoff was at his best here but I feel it was a two way street. Both complemented each other nicely. And yeah it would have sucked to pay him that much at 39 but we are a team that's trying to win now. Deal with the consequences later. Not like Gillis would even be here by then. And the feeling I got from Ehrhoff's interview is that he really wanted to stay here but Gillis kind of let his ego get to him and cut the negotiations short and traded him instead of really trying to hammer out a deal. I feel that it could have been done and not necessarily a 10 year deal. Whatever though, that's just speculation on my part.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:36 AM
Lord Flacko*
Down to let it go

vCash: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
Yeah and that division has changed much? The thread is about the change in performance.

Or the season after those, or another one.

I do not get it, it is clear that Edler plays tons worse on the off side. In fact the loss in capacity with him off side is bigger than having anyone else on their off side. I guess AV is like "you got a new and good contract so now you must learn to play on your off side".

Old
03-11-2013, 03:45 AM
Lord Flacko*
Down to let it go

vCash: 907
AV is such a stubborn, moronic piece of ****, its not even funny. His complete and outright hatred towards younger players is mind-boggling. If you're not one of his select few loved players such as Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa, Edler, or Raymond, you are going to be treated like garbage, given garbage linemates and garbage minutes. Burrows hasn't scored much recently, and still remains on the Sedin line but when Kassian went 1 game without scoring a goal, he was immediately dropped to the 4th. AV needs to put Kassian back on the top line so he can get some of his confidence back and start scoring again.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:47 AM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn View Post
You have a good point. Looking at the line-up again, it might not be the best system for the personnel you have. I was just thinking of the Sedins, Burrows, Kesler, Kassian, etc. and while they may not all be the biggest, they are pretty diligent with cycling the puck. But you have good speed with a couple players, too.

Which I guess brings up the next question then: what sort of system do you think should be used? I don't think your faster players have enough of a scoring touch to be effective in a run and gun system. Would you want something like what Phoenix uses, which is strength in transition and very opportunistic?

Again, sorry if these are stupid questions or oversimplified, I don't have center ice and so I can't watch as much as I'd like :/
You say you don't watch our team at all, and ask over-simplified questions, yet you somehow have enough knowledge of our roster and personnel to conjure up this gem.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:52 AM
Derp Kassian

1 top 9 centre healthy, all that needs to be said. Average goaltending from Schneider too.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:09 AM
sobrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flacko View Post
AV is such a stubborn, moronic piece of ****, its not even funny. His complete and outright hatred towards younger players is mind-boggling. If you're not one of his select few loved players such as Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa, Edler, or Raymond, you are going to be treated like garbage, given garbage linemates and garbage minutes. Burrows hasn't scored much recently, and still remains on the Sedin line but when Kassian went 1 game without scoring a goal, he was immediately dropped to the 4th. AV needs to put Kassian back on the top line so he can get some of his confidence back and start scoring again.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:11 AM
HankieDankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCantYandleThis View Post
You say you don't watch our team at all, and ask over-simplified questions, yet you somehow have enough knowledge of our roster and personnel to conjure up this gem.
Ahh, don't be too harsh, he's posting some of the few intelligent posts in this thread. At least it's an attempt to discuss strategy and tactics, rather than baseless arguments of effort or whatever.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:49 AM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankieDankie View Post
Ahh, don't be too harsh, he's posting some of the few intelligent posts in this thread. At least it's an attempt to discuss strategy and tactics, rather than baseless arguments of effort or whatever.
Agreed. That guy was giving good, honest input and admitting he doesn't get to watch them play as much as he'd like. Definitely one of the posts you appreciate in a thread like this.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:58 AM
Bougieman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawzy View Post
I'm going to continue to ask this until I get an answer that I feel holds merit:

Why do you think the Canucks going 11-7-6 after winning 2 President's Trophies in a row is grounds for dismissal?

Because even if you give me a respond I agree with I highly doubt management is ready to can the most successful coach in franchise history because he is nearing .500 in 25 games.
This is exactly what I'm thinking when I'm not understanding why so many Canucks fans think AV is on his way out. They're in full-on panic mode, and they can't seem to put anything into context -- as you just did.

Canucks fans just need to reeeelaaax

Closed Thread