HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - XLVI

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2013, 03:54 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
The Armchair GM Thread - XLVI

Last thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1447513

To sum up the ending of the last thread:

- Leafs could move Phaneuf
- Luongo to Leafs extremely unlikely now due to Bernier trade
- Josh Rimer reported that the Canucks might have interest in Sam Gagner

Continue

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Old
06-23-2013, 03:56 PM
Ronaldo
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 55
Gagner for Bieksa

Old
06-23-2013, 04:00 PM
LPH
[hello] :)

Nuckles- Faceoffs can be taught, it's not something I worry too much about when getting young players. I see very good offensive talent that could positively affect his linemates and create a third line that can contribute regularly

Old
06-23-2013, 04:02 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

I wouldn't be surprised if Edmonton asks for guys like Edler, Schneider, Hansen, or Tanev for Gagner. Personally I wouldn't move any of those guys.

The pieces I'd make available for Gagner are Luongo, Schroeder, our 1st, and Jensen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
Nuckles- Faceoffs can be taught, it's not something I worry too much about when getting young players. I see very good offensive talent that could positively affect his linemates and create a third line that can contribute regularly
I would just prefer a more experienced/veteran center for the 3rd line. And I would love to see how well he'd mesh with Kesler. We all know that Kesler likes to shoot, and Gagner is a pretty good set-up man. We lacked scoring in the top 6 these past two season, Gagner would be a big boost to the 2nd line.

Old
06-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Edmonton asks for guys like Edler, Schneider, Hansen, or Tanev for Gagner. Personally I wouldn't move any of those guys.

The pieces I'd make available for Gagner are Luongo, Schroeder, our 1st, and Jensen.
I wouldn't move Jensen, but I am admitted high on him. I could also see Corrado going. Threw this together.

Luongo + 1st + conditional pick (Edmonton makes playoffs)

FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)
Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Sam Gagner ($4.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Chris Higgins ($2.500m) / Jordan Schroeder ($0.851m) / David Booth ($4.250m)
Dale Weise ($0.677m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.200m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Jason Garrison ($4.600m)
Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Frank Corrado ($0.599m) / Chris Tanev ($1.250m)
Andrew Alberts ($0.750m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cory Schneider ($4.000m)
Eddie Lack ($0.750m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,196,444; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $103,556

Old
06-23-2013, 04:05 PM
arttk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
Not sure where we disagree here, both Edler and JJ would get more and are better than those free agent guys and Gologoski. teh difference in JJ and Edler isn't actual value but more in style.

Dallas made mistake in trading from a position of then strength (LW with Morrow still decent and Benn not converted to center) for a need they had for a PP QB. Neal was a decent NHL talent but isn't an all star without Malkin either.

Carter is a bit over rated in that he's a great goal scorer but not a great play maker, not the typical 2nd line type of center most teams would want.
Disagree with the notion of trading Edler and also the potential return you are looking for if we were to trade Edler.

Skinner makes more than Edler and scores less than Edler, I don't know about you but if I am trading one of the best DMAN on the team, I would expect the forward coming back to outscore my D by quite a bit especially when that forward is making more money than my D.

Fact is, rarely if ever do you see any top4 d hit the trade market and I would expect a huge bidding war to open up and you would do a hell lot better than J.Skinner.

Old
06-23-2013, 04:06 PM
LPH

Quote:

I would move Tanev for Gagner, but that's the only one on that list. Would move CS for Gagner + but would hate to trade Schneider within the division. I think the Oilers are pretty content with Dubnyk for now anyways

Old
06-23-2013, 04:10 PM
LPH

Quote:
I would just prefer a more experienced/veteran center for the 3rd line. And I would love to see how well he'd mesh with Kesler. We all know that Kesler likes to shoot, and Gagner is a pretty good set-up man. We lacked scoring in the top 6 these past two season, Gagner would be a big boost to the 2nd line.
I just think Gagner could go a long way to making us younger. Anyways, although it may not be the most popular option, I would try Schroeder up with Kesler and Booth/Burrows and Gagner on his own line. If that doesn't work out I would be more open to trying Gagner with Kesler. I don't think JS is better, but I think that lineup is more balanced and would be better come playoff time. Higgins would probably hit it off with Gagner since he has chemistry with seemingly everyone.

Old
06-23-2013, 04:11 PM
Bourne Endeavor

Quote:
I would move Tanev for Gagner, but that's the only one on that list. Would move CS for Gagner + but would hate to trade Schneider within the division. I think the Oilers are pretty content with Dubnyk for now anyways
Trading Tanev would be hard. He has the makings of Hamhuis all over him and while I do like the upside of Gagner, losing Tanev stings a bit too much. I'd only make available the following:

Corrado
Schroeder
Luongo
Jensen (begrudgingly)
Gaunce
1st (2013)
1st (2014)

And pretty much anything below them in value.

Old
06-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Scurr

I like Gagner but I wouldn't move a lot off our team to get him. We need to add to this group, moving talent around doesn't help us imo. Is Gagner a hot commodity around the league or are the Oilers trying to move his salary?

Old
06-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

Tanev is untouchable (unless we're getting someone like Weber) for me.
His age, low cap hit, and poise are just too valuable. Mostly his low cap hit.

Old
06-23-2013, 04:15 PM
PG Canuck

For me, personally, trading any of Jensen, Corrado, Tanev for Sam Gagner would be really tough. Maybe I'm just high on these guys, but I see bright future in all of them. We've already seen what Tanev can do, imagine as he progress yet? Hamhuis-lite. I'm high on Jensen and Corrado too.

Old
06-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Vankiller Whale
Propaganda Minister

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Sam Gagner ($4.000m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
I'd strongly consider this if only to have a "KGB" line.

Old
06-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

I toyed around with the idea of doing some big deal based around Gagner + Horcoff for Luongo, Booth/Ballard, Schroeder, +picks/prospects but it wouldn't work cap-wise.
I doubt Edmonton would retain half of Horcoff's cap hit, and even if they would we wouldn't have much cap space left to fill out our roster (assuming Gagner wants ~$4.5M per).

I wish it could work financially, it would give us a 3rd line center and a scoring top 6 forward.

Old
06-23-2013, 04:17 PM
LPH

Quote:
I think this is a bit too much. Tanev is great, but is only a bottom pairing d man with top 4 upside right now. He has a good first past, but not much offense after that. I am personally higher on Corrado

Old
06-23-2013, 04:22 PM
Bourne Endeavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
For me, personally, trading any of Jensen, Corrado, Tanev for Sam Gagner would be really tough. Maybe I'm just high on these guys, but I see bright future in all of them. We've already seen what Tanev can do, imagine as he progress yet? Hamhuis-lite. I'm high on Jensen and Corrado too.
Aye. I see some serious potential in Jensen, and the fact he is mentoring his game after Jagr and actually looks to have the style to pull it off, albeit nowhere near Jagr's prime. I just feel losing him would be a mistake. Corrado I would swallow easier, if only because we have not seen much yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I'd strongly consider this if only to have a "KGB" line.
... we would need some photoshop people to make that epic.

Old
06-23-2013, 04:22 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

Quote:
I think this is a bit too much. Tanev is great, but is only a bottom pairing d man with top 4 upside right now. He has a good first past, but not much offense after that. I am personally higher on Corrado
You have to consider the salary cap.
We have Edler, Garrison, Bieksa, and Hamhuis locked up for the next few years to big cap hits (and NTCs), and it doesn't seem like they will be moved. You also have to take into consideration that Tanev is a right handed shot, something we usually lack every year.

Also, Tanev is only 23 years old. D-men take longer to develop, so I think it's safe to say that he isn't near his prime yet.

Old
06-23-2013, 04:24 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
I disagree. I think the Canucks have a better replacement in Corrado for him and he could be used as a package for something great.

In regards to Weber, I'd move him and Edler together for Weber if that could do it

Old
06-23-2013, 04:25 PM
LPH

I think Tanev will get better, I just don't think his ceiling is all that high. Hamhuis is very underrated offensively and I don't know if Tanev can ever reach that level. I understand that he could develop his offensive game to go along with his solid defense play, but I haven't seen really anything to suggest that he has that upside so far.

I am also not moving him for nothing, Gagner is a young, borderline #2 centre.

Old
06-23-2013, 04:26 PM
PG Canuck

Quote:
Aye. I see some serious potential in Jensen, and the fact he is mentoring his game after Jagr and actually looks to have the style to pull it off, albeit nowhere near Jagr's prime. I just feel losing him would be a mistake. Corrado I would swallow easier, if only because we have not seen much yet.
I think Corrado can be like Tanev, but just with offense too.

Old
06-23-2013, 04:28 PM
Bourne Endeavor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
I think Corrado can be like Tanev, but just with offense too.
Goes to show we don't quite fail at this draft/signing thing like everyone accuses us doesn't it?

Old
06-23-2013, 04:30 PM
Scurr

Quote:
I agree. I think he offers some very intriguing potential too. Most guys in their early 20's have skill-sets that have outgrown their mental game, Tanev was the other way around. His skills needed work but he was good at this level because he understood what was going on around him. If he can keep getting stronger while working on his skills, as he has, he can produce at this level imo, despite not being a strong point producer in the AHL. Not a ppg type... more like 40ish points. He has better instincts offensively than Bieksa.

Keep Tanev. Keep all the good players. Add more.

Old
06-23-2013, 04:32 PM
PG Canuck

Quote:
Goes to show we don't quite fail at this draft/signing thing like everyone accuses us doesn't it?
We don't fail, but I'm not sure what our success rate is at. We have some solid prospects IMO, may not be many of them, but I see NHL futures in Jensen, Corrado, and Tanev who is already showing he can handle the NHL so far.

Old
06-23-2013, 04:35 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
Gagner for Bieksa
I could see the Oilers doing this, especially if they draft another center in the draft.

Would Kevin trade his NTC to go to Edmonton though?

It's the kind of deal that would help both teams needs, although the Canucks might have to add given the age difference.

Old
06-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Bourne Endeavor

I hate it but if we want to keep everyone, maybe: Luongo + 1st + 1st. While that cripple our drafting until 2015, I do not see many viable alternatives that does include losing Corrado/Tanev/Bieksa. Oilers can then flip Dubnyk for a second and possibly move up in the draft using our pick and theirs, get a defenseman and there ya go.

Closed Thread