HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

MacKinnon, Drouin and Jones comparisons

Old
04-20-2013, 02:50 AM
flapanthersfan

vCash: 500
MacKinnon, Drouin and Jones comparisons

So as a Panthers fan - i feel pretty confident in saying we will end up with a top 3 pick again ( ) - so that being said, i'd like to know what you all think of these top 3 players....

I've seen highlights of them but that's not really an accurate way to gauge a players skillset and potential. Drouin reminded me alot of Patrick Kane in these highlights, but alot of you would know better than I would since alot of you watch them play regularly.

So my question to you is - who would you compare each player to in the NHL right now? By that I mean their skillset AND what you believe they can achieve. So if you're talking about Jones none of "well, he's alot like Alex Pietrangelo in juniors but i doubt he ever becomes that good" - compare him to someone you think he will evolve into, not someone you think he has a 0.3% chance to evolve into. If you think he'll be an elite d-man, compare him to one with similar skills. If you think he'll be a mediocre d-man, compare him to someone of that caliber with similar skills, etc. etc.

Let's hear what ya'll have to say, and thanks in advance for you opinions!

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 02:57 AM
Sticks and Pucks

Drouin - Claude Giroux

MacKinnon - Mike Richards

Jones - Braydon Coburn

I think Jones is overrated and I don't think MacKinnon's offense is as good as people make it out to be.

Sticks and Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 03:07 AM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOverallLine View Post
Drouin - Claude Giroux

Jones - Braydon Coburn

I think Jones is overrated and I don't think MacKinnon's offense is as good as people make it out to be.
Interesting. Drouin is the one who impressed me the most, by far, in the clips i saw. Ridiculous set of hands. But again, clips can be misleading.

Is Drouin a two-way player like Giroux is? Center/Wing?

Is MacKinnon as physical as Mike Richards is?

Jones as Coburn is very underwhelming.

Thanks for the response.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 03:22 AM
22FUTON9

Quote:
Drouin - Claude Giroux

Jones - Braydon Coburn

If you think Jones is on the level of Coburn, you clearly haven't seen him play. He along with Trouba were the two best defensemen in the WJC.

I think you're right with Drouin being some what similar to Giroux, with maybe more skill, but less hockey sense. I also think Mackinnon is pretty close to Duchene, with a better shot, with slower acceleration. Seth Jones is basically an Erik Johnson (yes another av) who could actually shoot and run the PP, basically a smarter version of EJ.

22FUTON9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 03:24 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
So as a Panthers fan - i feel pretty confident in saying we will end up with a top 3 pick again ( ) - so that being said, i'd like to know what you all think of these top 3 players....

I've seen highlights of them but that's not really an accurate way to gauge a players skillset and potential. Drouin reminded me alot of Patrick Kane in these highlights, but alot of you would know better than I would since alot of you watch them play regularly.

So my question to you is - who would you compare each player to in the NHL right now? By that I mean their skillset AND what you believe they can achieve. So if you're talking about Jones none of "well, he's alot like Alex Pietrangelo in juniors but i doubt he ever becomes that good" - compare him to someone you think he will evolve into, not someone you think he has a 0.3% chance to evolve into. If you think he'll be an elite d-man, compare him to one with similar skills. If you think he'll be a mediocre d-man, compare him to someone of that caliber with similar skills, etc. etc.

Let's hear what ya'll have to say, and thanks in advance for you opinions!
kane was way more skilled than drouin is and was also a more sophisticated/intelligent player. although it should be noted that kane's a "late birthday" so he had a development year on drouin.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 03:29 AM
PAZ

vCash: 50
MacKinnon is going to be good, look at the other players that were granted exceptional player status. Crosby, Tavares, McDavid, Ekblad. Honestly don't know a comparable though.

Drouin is by far the most talented player in the draft, has to work on a lot more areas though. IMO close to Kane, with a weaker shot (at this point).

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 03:37 AM
Parise9Crosby87

i think drouin will be better then giroux

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 04:07 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post
MacKinnon is going to be good, look at the other players that were granted exceptional player status. Crosby, Tavares, McDavid, Ekblad. Honestly don't know a comparable though.

Drouin is by far the most talented player in the draft, has to work on a lot more areas though. IMO close to Kane, with a weaker shot (at this point).
Mackinnon and Crosby weren't exceptional status players. I believe both of them never even requested for it when they were 14/15 years old.

John Tavares, Aaron Ekblad, Connor McDavid and now Sean Day (all from the OHL) are the only players to ever be granted exceptional status.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 04:22 AM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

Quote:
Drouin - Claude Giroux

Jones - Braydon Coburn

If anyone is similar to Giroux from this draft it's Lindholm, Drouin does remind me of Kane in a handful of games I saw him play, but he's not as dominant as Kane was in juniors, I don't see how Mac is similar to Richards, he plays nothing like him, some Avs fans familiar with the Q called him the RH version of Matt Duchene and compairing Jones to Coburn is just beyond hilarious, Jones looks like Pietrangelo, highly cerebral, good both ways, but he lacks the mean streak people would expect and possibly want with someone of his size.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 08:15 AM
TheTechNoir

vCash: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAZ View Post

Just FYI Crosby nor MacKinnon were granted exceptional player status.

Sean Day has.

Drouin has an AMAZING release. I will respond to this thread when I get home from work soon.

TheTechNoir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 08:34 AM
Breakfast of Champs

I've seen almost every single home game of both of their qmjhl careers, and for what its worth I don't see the MacKinnon/Richards comparison.

For me, MacKinnon is closest to Evander Kane in playing style. Notice how I said playing style not upside/ceiling because I think MacKinnon has the potential to be a better player than Kane. A lot of people (myself included) draw comparisons in his game to Hall/seguin, but if I had to pick 1 player it would be E. kane. He has blazing speed, good hands, and isn't afraid to get physical. He is also a very smart player and an excellent playmaker, something that gets forgotten/underrated by many.

Drouin is a player that could have a similar impact to that of P.Kane. He plays a similar style of game: amazing hands, agile, slippery, incredibly intelligent, etc. However, I think overall the way he carries himself is more similar to Alex Tanguay (legs spread wider than kanes, gets lower to the ice when dangling.) Also, to the poster above stating that Kane was "way more skilled", that just isn't true. (Then again his avatar is a picture of Kane playing for the Knights lol). Kane may have been more skilled, but it is definitely up for debate.

Both should become great players at the next level, and either would look amazing playing alongside Huberdeau in Florida.

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 09:16 AM
KovalSNIPE

Drouin = Kane
MacKinnon = IDK I've heard so many things
Jones = Pronger (without the mean streak) <weird comparison but I've heard it a lot.

KovalSNIPE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 09:16 AM
Stephen23

Here is how I view them:

Drouin - Calude Giroux / Patrick Kane hybrid.
MacKinnon - Eric Staal / Ryan Getzlaf hybrid.

Stephen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 09:25 AM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KovalSNIPE View Post
Drouin = Kane
Jones = Pronger (without the mean streak) <weird comparison but I've heard it a lot.
That's like saying Gretzky without his exceptional vision, Pronger wouldn't be Pronger if he didn't have his mean streak, that was his calling card. Like I said he looks like Pietrangelo or a bigger version of Mark Howe (that would be a comparison for the old timers).

Old
04-20-2013, 09:57 AM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Jonathan Drouin: Patrick Kane
Nathan MacKinnon: Tyler Seguin & Taylor Hall mix
Seth Jones: Alex Pietrangelo with Yandle's rush ability

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 10:52 AM
Tsundere

Drouin: Claude Giroux (Always making incredible plays and also backs it up with his amazing stickhandling ability)
MacKinnon: Seguin/Eric Staal (That insta-burst with speed and scoring ability is second to none in this draft)
Seth Jones: Pietrangelo (in the way he uses his reach), S.Niedermayer (on how he thinks the game)

Note: I don't see Seth Jones producing as much as either of those defensemen until he reaches passed his 4th-5th season in the NHL. This will also depend on the team that chooses him and the way their team plays (system or success)

Tsundere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:06 AM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

If I were a Panthers fan, Id be hoping for MacKinnon, because of his chemistry with Huberdeau.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:09 AM
RJQuack

I've watched Nate and Jo a lot, and I watch a lot of NHL, and I can't think of two better comparisons when I watch them.
Drouin ---> Pat Kane
MacKinnon ---> Tyler Seguin

No player is completely alike, with every quality, but I feel this paints the most accurate picture IMO... Seguin is not as physical as MacKinnon, but I see a similar build and offensive package.
I could have picked St. Louis for Drouin too, but I see more Kane in him... More wilingness to shoot than Marty, and has hands and vision that could very well get to Kanes level someday.

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:10 AM
RJQuack

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishManSam View Post
If I were a Panthers fan, Id be hoping for MacKinnon, because of his chemistry with Huberdeau.
I don't think either player is going to have immediate chemistry because they played one game together in November .... And it was Drouin who played with Hubey for a bit in the WJ's, so I'd go for him lol.

RJQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:49 AM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen23 View Post
Here is how I view them:

Drouin - Calude Giroux / Patrick Kane hybrid.
MacKinnon - Eric Staal / Ryan Getzlaf hybrid.
Did MacKinnon grow 4 or 5 inches and add 40 lbs when I was unaware?

I know he plays above his weight, will get bigger and is aggressive, but those two guys are massive when comparing them to him.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 11:59 AM
Jayevs
Formerly avsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Jonathan Drouin: Patrick Kane
Nathan MacKinnon: Tyler Seguin & Taylor Hall mix
Seth Jones: Alex Pietrangelo with Yandle's rush ability
You sir, nailed it.

Jayevs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:33 PM
IceManCat
#CatsAreComing

Does Jones really have the aptitude of Pietrangelo

IceManCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:54 PM
Ivan13
Just a flesh wound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceManCat View Post
Does Jones really have the aptitude of Pietrangelo
Based on what I saw from him yes without a doubt.

Old
04-20-2013, 12:54 PM
TheTechNoir

vCash: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by KovalSNIPE View Post
Drouin = Kane
I realllly dont mean for this to come across rude. Or if you do watch drouin and jones and just not mac (tough to pay attention to jon and not mac tho) then I apologize. But the point of this thread isnt to repeat what youve heard, its to give your opinion. If you never heard anyone say anything about mac or heard tons of conflicting opinions it shouldnt matter. Unless youre just repeating someone elses opinion or the consensus opinion which isnt helpful and could in fact be the opposite.

TheTechNoir is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:57 PM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
That's like saying Gretzky without his exceptional vision, Pronger wouldn't be Pronger if he didn't have his mean streak, that was his calling card. Like I said he looks like Pietrangelo or a bigger version of Mark Howe (that would be a comparison for the old timers).
Mark Howe shouldn't be a comparable. Neither Pietrangelo or Jones has shown such elite defensive accument, or even look like that'll be their calling card. Even if you could make a weak argument for one of them, it certainly isn't Jones, who's defensive abilities are being overrated. You can say he's tall and he has good offensive potential, but he isn't a defensive stalwart

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote