HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Team Canada - 2013 IIHF U18 Tournament

Old
04-29-2013, 11:23 AM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
Actually the quicker we can get away from players born in 94, the better. Some good players, Hudon, Monahan and Shinkaruk, but not a whole lot of elite level star power. The 95s are a deeper talent pool and have some hi-end skill. I've been saying it for years, 93 and 94 are not good years for Canada.
But these tournaments are not all about high end skill.

I could see Gaunce and Laughton being on the team. These two players can form a nasty shutdown line and be the top 2 PKers on the team.

1994 is definitely a down year for the high end, but the 94's will be needed. Also depends quite a bit on who will be in the NHL.

arsmaster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:29 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
But these tournaments are not all about high end skill.

I could see Gaunce and Laughton being on the team. These two players can form a nasty shutdown line and be the top 2 PKers on the team.

1994 is definitely a down year for the high end, but the 94's will be needed. Also depends quite a bit on who will be in the NHL.
They could be on my team, sure but their 4th liners not difference makers... I wouldn't put them ahead of a dozen 1995 born players. My line-up for the 2014 U20 WHC is loaded with 1995 players. but of course the 2 best 1995 born players will be in the NHL (most likely) but we'll see.

Mr Writer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:35 AM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
They could be on my team, sure but their 4th liners not difference makers... I wouldn't put them ahead of a dozen 1995 born players. My line-up for the 2014 U20 WHC is loaded with 1995 players. but of course the 2 best 1995 born players will be in the NHL (most likely) but we'll see.
Hmmm....I be interested to see who your '95 role players are.

You can't win this tournament with 4 scoring lines.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:43 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:

You already wrote the role players...
My 4th line. Kerby Rychel Scott Laughton (if not in Philly) Brendan Gaunce. I guess Hockey Canada will take Tom Wilson as well. but I wouldn't. but I suppose he can be an effect 13th forward role player.

Old
04-29-2013, 12:32 PM
clarkebr

Quote:
You already wrote the role players...
My 4th line. Kerby Rychel Scott Laughton (if not in Philly) Brendan Gaunce. I guess Hockey Canada will take Tom Wilson as well. but I wouldn't. but I suppose he can be an effect 13th forward role player.
my count is 12 forwards so far and not one 95 forward on this under 18 team is there. I don't doubt the strength of the 95's but when you count mcDavid, Mackinnon and Drouin, the 94 players should be able to hold down the rest. I would agree that there is not much depth getting into the weeds of the 94's and if 2-3 of these are in the NHL, then the 95's have a good chance to backfill the line up.

clarkebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:10 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkebr View Post
my count is 12 forwards so far and not one 95 forward on this under 18 team is there. I don't doubt the strength of the 95's but when you count mcDavid, Mackinnon and Drouin, the 94 players should be able to hold down the rest. I would agree that there is not much depth getting into the weeds of the 94's and if 2-3 of these are in the NHL, then the 95's have a good chance to backfill the line up.
This U18 team? Which one are you referring to, the real U18 team 1995 born players still competing in the CHL playoffs or the one that just won gold in Sochi? Because other than Sam Reinhart and McDavid who I have on the 2014 U20 team, the 10-12 1995 born players I'm talking about were not in Sochi. Plus, in addition to that I have 1995 D. Nurse and 1996 born D-man Ekblad making the team, in addition to 1995 goalie Fucale. altogether I have on last count 7 underage players 1995-96-97. If Hockey Canada goes with a predominately 1994 team, we will lose. Again.

Of course included in that list of seven is Mackinnon and Drouin. Mackinnon 95% sticks in the NHL. Drouin is 80% sticks in the NHL. But we'll see..

Let me see your line up. PM it to me if u don't want to post it here.

Last edited by Mr Writer: 04-29-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old
04-29-2013, 01:48 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Lets see your prospective teams. Referring to 'your lists' and not showing them is tacky.

The only 1994's from the 2012 draft that should even be in the conversation (at forward anyway) are Gaunce, Laughton, Hudon and possibly Wilson.

Fully healthy the forward lines should look something like this

Drouin-Mackinnon-Lazar (previous chemistry)
McDavid-Monahan-Shinaruk
Laughton-Gaunce-Hudon
Leipsic-Reinhart-Rychel

Things change big time if Mackinnon, Drouin, Monahan, and Laughton are in the NHL. Then you really have to count on the 95's. Maybe Gauthier slots in to the 3rd line role, Klimchuk in the top 6 with McDavid.

Defense is loaded:

Rielly-Reinhart
Pouliot-Dumba
Nurse-Ekblad

Goalies:

Driedger
Paterson
Fucale
Desrosiers
Comrie

Old
04-29-2013, 01:51 PM
clarkebr

Quote:
This U18 team? Which one are you referring to, the real U18 team 1995 born players still competing in the CHL playoffs or the one that just won gold in Sochi? Because other than Sam Reinhart and McDavid who I have on the 2014 U20 team, the 10-12 1995 born players I'm talking about were not in Sochi. Plus, in addition to that I have 1995 D. Nurse and 1996 born D-man Ekblad making the team, in addition to 1995 goalie Fucale. altogether I have on last count 7 underage players 1995-96-97. If Hockey Canada goes with a predominately 1994 team, we will lose. Again.

Of course included in that list of seven is Mackinnon and Drouin. Mackinnon 95% sticks in the NHL. Drouin is 80% sticks in the NHL. But we'll see..

Let me see your line up. PM it to me if u don't want to post it here.
forwards-
mackinnon-drouin- reinhart- mcdavid- shinkaruk-monahan-gaunce- laughton- wilson- hudon-mantha-rychel-carrier-
i wasn't referring to defence.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:54 PM
3 Minute Minor

nevermind

3 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:00 PM
Mr Writer

J DROUIN N MACKINNON C LAZAR
H SHINKARUK B LEIPSIC S REINHART
S MONAHAN C MCDAVID J.S. DEA
K RYCHEL S LAUGHTON B GAUNCE
M DOMI

D POULIOT M RIELLY
G REINHART M DUMBA
D NURSE R PULOCK
A EKBLAD

M.O. ROY
Z FUCALE

I haven't looked at the goaltending in a while....I'd probably make Fucale the starter. Not sure though.

So, I have 9 underage players on the team. Hudon beats out Domi. But I'd love for Domi to be on that team. The guy is clutch.

Old
04-29-2013, 02:03 PM
3 Minute Minor

Quote:
M.O. ROY
As in the goalie who backed up Canada a few years ago and is now playing for Edmonton's ECHL team?

3 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:10 PM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
As in the goalie who backed up Canada a few years ago and is now playing for Edmonton's ECHL team?

No, plays for Blainville

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:18 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeder9 View Post
No, plays for Blainville
And is a forward.

Patmac40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:22 PM
ottawah

Quote:

No, but in many instances your best scoring players can also be your best role players. A lot of these players are so talented they can pretty much do it all, they just happen to be scorers on their junior team because that is their role.

Case in point for the U18's, Baptiste killed penalties, and was on in the last minute of the semis and finals, yet you can hardly just call him a role player. He is an example of a highly talented player who can fill many roles.

Personally I'd sooner have a 4th line of highly talented players who can fill in for other roles than their usual junior role, and have that ability to score, rather than just a role player who can do little else.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:23 PM
Mr Writer

sorry I copy and pasted from a list that wasn't updated and in moving around players in and out a few got misplaced.

M.O. Roy is a forward.. I wanted to write in Jake Paterson. mix ups.

But that has been my lineup since the U20 ended in Ufa. And was happy to get the 93s out. (except for RNH and a few D-men) and will be as equally happy to weed out the 94s (except for the d-men who are terrific.) 1994 forward group? I'm not big on any of those... I'm dying to get into the 1995 age group.

Last edited by Mr Writer: 04-29-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old
04-29-2013, 04:02 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawah View Post
No, but in many instances your best scoring players can also be your best role players. A lot of these players are so talented they can pretty much do it all, they just happen to be scorers on their junior team because that is their role.

Case in point for the U18's, Baptiste killed penalties, and was on in the last minute of the semis and finals, yet you can hardly just call him a role player. He is an example of a highly talented player who can fill many roles.

Personally I'd sooner have a 4th line of highly talented players who can fill in for other roles than their usual junior role, and have that ability to score, rather than just a role player who can do little else.
Can you give me an instance where Hockey Canada named players who weren't scorers in the CHL?

If you're going to say Camara and Lipon don't bother responding.

----

I'd say Baptiste would clearly be a role player. He played a specific role. You could easily say there are more talented players who got left at home, because of the role Baptiste can play (Duclair stands out).

Hockey Canada and most teams like top 6, checking line, energy line....it's been that way for years. Just because we're getting beat doesn't mean there is a problem with that.

Canada's forwards were good enough to win this year, the problem was atrocious defense.

Old
04-29-2013, 04:38 PM
Daneurism

I know that's a stacked defense and everything, but Ekblad isn't the seventh defenseman of that group.

Daneurism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 04:42 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneurism View Post
I know that's a stacked defense and everything, but Ekblad isn't the seventh defenseman of that group.
Yeah no doubt, I forgot to also add Pulock to that group too.

Could you imagine rolling out Ekblad and Reinhart as the shutdown pair Size and pretty solid mobility.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:30 PM
timekeep

Do you think that they will take Reinhart, when he has a 3(?) game suspension he has to serve first? I hope they do but wondering what everyone is thinking.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 03:31 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneurism View Post
I can agree to that; in fact you can argue that Ekblad is the best junior defensemen in the country ages 16-19. The guy is having a monster play-off. I can see where come this Christmas he is probably in the 2nd pairing. But he has to sustain it from Sept to December. Younger players are hardly ever given the benefit of the doubt.

Old
04-30-2013, 03:34 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Do you think that they will take Reinhart, when he has a 3(?) game suspension he has to serve first? I hope they do but wondering what everyone is thinking.
The 2 exhibition games count as suspended games, so he misses only 1 tournament game. It was a lousy suspension to begin with.

Old
04-30-2013, 06:45 AM
clarkebr

Quote:
J DROUIN N MACKINNON C LAZAR
H SHINKARUK B LEIPSIC S REINHART
S MONAHAN C MCDAVID J.S. DEA
K RYCHEL S LAUGHTON B GAUNCE
M DOMI

D POULIOT M RIELLY
G REINHART M DUMBA
D NURSE R PULOCK
A EKBLAD

M.O. ROY
Z FUCALE

I haven't looked at the goaltending in a while....I'd probably make Fucale the starter. Not sure though.

So, I have 9 underage players on the team. Hudon beats out Domi. But I'd love for Domi to be on that team. The guy is clutch.

Carrier will come back and have a great seaon next year and bumps out Dea.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:30 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkebr View Post
Carrier will come back and have a great seaon next year and bumps out Dea.
That would be super! The more options we have the better.

Old
04-30-2013, 04:13 PM
timekeep

Quote:
The 2 exhibition games count as suspended games, so he misses only 1 tournament game. It was a lousy suspension to begin with.
Are you sure about that, because I don't think that exhibition games count. When it happened they said that he would need to be put on the WC team to serve the suspension before the WJC started.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:17 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Are you sure about that, because I don't think that exhibition games count. When it happened they said that he would need to be put on the WC team to serve the suspension before the WJC started.
As far as my understanding goes, exhibition games are IIHF sanctioned games, any discipline that is applied to an exhibition game gets carried over to regular tournament games, so I would hope the reverse would be true that any discipline handed out for an incident occurring in a regular tournament gets applied to any future exhibition games. But who knows with the IIHF... they are as corrupt as anything.