HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

How close was Keith Tkachuk to Eric Lindros?

Old
03-16-2013, 09:28 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Baseball is very different from hockey in terms of statistics. Hockey has such wild fluctuations in statistics, rules, games played, styles of play etc... that using raw numbers or adjusted numbers really doesn't tell any reliable story.
Exactly, the numbers only tell offensive production.

How do you measure the differences in physicality of Tkachuk's game to Naslunds? The thing is that you can't.

As for Leclair being clearly better than Tkachuk, it's not like he has a great playoff record and it's quite poor aside from Lindros years.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:37 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmoismyhero View Post
I guess that makes sense however without using raw numbers you really have nothing to go off...You just have to use your mind to see how the game was being played at the time the numbers were put up.

Another reason that you have to judge players on the era and possibly team system/linemates.
Unfortunately yes. We can make inferences based on comparisons to peers and extrapolate from there. But there is no solid and reliable way to compare.

03-17-2013, 07:21 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmoismyhero View Post
While I get your point I still think Iginla, Forsberg, and Sakic were all better players in the years you were talking about...Naslund was for sure top 5 for 4 years which Tkachuk never was.

Also one more thing...Naslund having a better 4 year peak is great however the thing that pisses me of in general is the flack Tkachuk gets for his career and not his peak...Adjusted goals puts Tkachuk at 21st all time for goal scoring.
Well I'm looking at the years of 2001-'04 in that three year span. Naslund won a Pearson in that span. Forsberg was injured too much, Bertuzzi wasn't as good as Naslund so basically you have to ask yourself which player was the best in those three years combined? Iginla, Sakic, Naslund, Lidstrom and Brodeur are my picks. Iggy and Sakic both had sort of "off" years in 2003 while Naslund never had an off year. I honestly think you have to give Naslund the award as best forward during that span.

I think Tkachuk's goal scoring is fine, but there are a lot of players - even from his era - with as many or more points that I wonder about getting into the HHOF. Those players often offset things with a better playoff portfolio. Tkachuk doesn't have that and while I am not saying he needed a Cup, I don't think there is any reason that he couldn't have gotten out of the first round in those years - just once.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote