HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Better future: Habs or Oilers?

View Poll Results: Which team has a better future?
Oilers 130 39.51%
Habs 199 60.49%
Voters: 329. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-17-2013, 04:23 PM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Edmonton should've drafted Malcolm Subban instead of Yakupov right? Montreal was terrible in a year where a really good goalie was available... they got lucky.

There hasn't been any goalies good enough to spend a first overall pick on lately... That's why they've taken forwards. It's called drafted by BPA.

Sorry but I take Taylor Hall over Jack Campell....

RNH's draft there wasn't even a goalie ranked in the top 50.

I take Yakupov over M.Subban as well.
There was no season before the '05 draft, Montreal got lucky in the lottery. Price was also a stretch even then.

Captain Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:30 PM
KidLine93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
Lol I know, I was just saying I don't think he meant it in the sense of 'when did Eberle become a one time 75 point player'. More in the sense of 'when did Eberle become a 75 point a season player'
My bad. thought he meant when has he ever gotten 75 points

KidLine93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:31 PM
LeoHabs*

Habs for sure

Im not saying Habs just because Im a habs fan, but because it's the truth.

The Habs have legit D prospects in Tinordi and Bealieu. And obviously PK Subban has already shown he can be a top D in the league

Offensively, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Eller, Gallagher are solid as hell.

And obviously...we have Price for our future, who do the Oilers have in nets for the future? No one like Carey.

LeoHabs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:33 PM
KidLine93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
There was no season before the '05 draft, Montreal got lucky in the lottery. Price was also a stretch even then.
watch when Price got drafted on youtube. Pierre goes on a tangent about how Montreal made the wrong pick and all this other stuff....now look who the most valuable player in this thread is

Id take Price over MAF and he went 1st

Old
03-17-2013, 04:35 PM
KidLine93

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoHabs View Post
Im not saying Habs just because Im a habs fan, but because it's the truth.

The Habs have legit D prospects in Tinordi and Bealieu. And obviously PK Subban has already shown he can be a top D in the league

Offensively, Galchenyuk, Pacioretty, Eller, Gallagher are solid as hell.

And obviously...we have Price for our future, who do the Oilers have in nets for the future? No one like Carey.
maybe 4 teams in the league could say they have "someone like Carey" lol

Old
03-17-2013, 04:37 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0psh3lfclu7ch View Post
I'd say EDM by a mile.

I don't think using this season is a fair measuring stick. Your team is full of aged vets, and this season there are only half the games and they against your own conf. only. Next season will tell a lot more about the long term future because of the full schedule, more influx of prospects, and a well rounded even schedule across the whole league.

Long Term Future lets take a look at players aged 25 and under.. and that's really a shelf life of only 10-11 years... or should we go 22-23 and under with a longer shelf life of 14-15 years? I'll do 25 but list the rest... correct me if I am wrong..

someone should post the rest of the relevant MTL prospects with high end NHL potential if there are any... here is all i could find on the MTL site... with NHL potential...

MTL
25 Price
24 Max Pak
24 Weber
24 White
23 Subban
23 Eller
22 Pateryn
22 Dumont
21 Tinordi
20 Gallagher
20 Beaulieu
20 Ellis
19 Gally

With the oilers prospects its so hard to tell who will make the team in what year, and who will get traded to what team or as a peice of what trade.. everyone is so young but all of these could guys have some NHL potential, or have some value towards the aquisition of an important NHL peice for the team. There are alot more prospects I could list but just not as higher end as these ones.

EDM Teir A
25 Peckham
25 Petry
25 VandeVelde
24 Arcobello
24 Fedun
23 Gagner
23 Tuebert
22 Eberle
22 Hartikainen
22 Shultz
21 Lander
21 Hall
21 Paajarvi
21 Marincin
19 Nugent-Hopkins
19 Yakupov
19 Klefbom

Teir B
23 Plante
21 Hamilton
21 Pitlick
21 Rajala
21 Davidson
21 Bunz
21 Roy
20 Reider
20 Simpson
19 Gernat
19 Musil
18 Khaira
18 Moroz
you clued out or what? might want to do something called 'research'. Leblanc (played 1/2 year for habs) Hudon, Bozon, Vail, Kristo, Nygren (best SEL dman) ETC...ALL pro-worthy potential..

Last edited by Hugo Sham: 03-17-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:37 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

I think the Habs and their giant bank account and history of at least getting after bigger free agents have a better chance of keeping this together and adding when necessary. I also believe in the management they have assembled up there.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:40 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

I'd say the Habs. They're stronger at the three positions of greatest importance (center, defense and goal).

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:41 PM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
I dont think so..... IMO Montreal have better depht on D

Beaulieu
Tinordi
Thrower
Dietz
Ellis
Pateryn
+ Bennett, Nygren, etc...
Oil fans, don't compare your D prospect depth to habs. it isn't comparable.

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Midnight Oil

Voted for the Oilers. Just too talented not to pick them.

Midnight Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidLine93 View Post
a 20 second look at NHL.com
he had 76 points LAST SEASON...
Yes, I meant regular... No doubt in my mind he has the potential but his production this season is not as good as last year.

He has 18 pts in 27 games this season which gives him a 55 pts pace.

Pacioretty has 22 pts in 24 games which gives him a 75 pts pace.

Eberle will have to improve his production by A LOT in order to be called a 75 pts player.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:15 PM
topchowda

Hard to say

Both have #1c, wont debate whos better, both are good and have tons of potential.

MTL has some good wingers but Ill have to go with Edmontons. Ebs,Hall,Yakupov,Hemsky is a pretty good group

Not sure about MTL's bottom six, but Edmontons isnt impressive at all. Horcoff is a good 3c but the wingers on the bottom six dont provide much offense.

Subban is the best defense between the two, Markov/Gorges are great. Edmonton has a gem in Schultz and solid 3-4 defenseman in Smid/Petry. Edge MTL

MTL obviously has the edge in goaltending, but Dubnyk has came on strong this year, top 15 in sv% for starting goalies (higher than Prices ) Edge MTL, but goaltending is least of the Oilers worries

Prospects is just a massive flame war since they are hard to judge. Both have solid D prospects so Ill say its a tie

But since MTL has competent management they have the better future

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:58 PM
LeHabsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Hard to say

Both have #1c, wont debate whos better, both are good and have tons of potential.

MTL has some good wingers but Ill have to go with Edmontons. Ebs,Hall,Yakupov,Hemsky is a pretty good group

Not sure about MTL's bottom six, but Edmontons isnt impressive at all. Horcoff is a good 3c but the wingers on the bottom six dont provide much offense.

Subban is the best defense between the two, Markov/Gorges are great. Edmonton has a gem in Schultz and solid 3-4 defenseman in Smid/Petry. Edge MTL

MTL obviously has the edge in goaltending, but Dubnyk has came on strong this year, top 15 in sv% for starting goalies (higher than Prices ) Edge MTL, but goaltending is least of the Oilers worries

Prospects is just a massive flame war since they are hard to judge. Both have solid D prospects so Ill say its a tie

But since MTL has competent management they have the better future
Best post in the thread. Ill do the same thing too.

I would say the only thing that Edmonton has over Montreal is skill on the wings for the future. Eberle, Hall, Yakupov, Paajarvi will make an excellent top 6. Montreal isnt exactly in a bad position either with Pacioretty, Collberg, Kristo and Gallagher.

Montreal definetely has the edge in goaltending. Centre depth too. Galchenyuk, Plekanec and Eller with Leblanc, Bournival and Vail coming up. RNH and Gagner are pretty much the only good centres unless Anton Lander is a good prospect.

Defense is tight but IMO in Montreals favour. Subban, Gorges and Emelin are still fairly young. Beaulieu(top 4), Tinordi(top 4), Thrower(top 6), Ellis(top 6), Dietz(top 6) and Nygren(top 6). 2 defensemen with top 4 potential and another 4 with top 6 potential. Edmonton has Schultz, Smid and Petry that are fairly young and Klefbom(top 4), Marincin(top 6), Gernat(top 6) and Musil(top 6). Slightly more depth in Montreal.

I think Montreal is a bit more well rounded than Edmonton. Edmonton has a very bright future but I think Montreal will just be a more complete team.

LeHabsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 09:30 PM
ottawa
go habs go

Okay guys, lets take a hypothetical trip 3 years into the future and see what a REALISTIC lineup could look like for both teams...both the habs and oilers youth and rookies will have matured by then with some new ones coming in.

Habs lineup in 3 years
Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Eller - Plekanec - Collberg
Kristo - Desharnais - Leblanc
Moen - White - Prust

Subban - Gorges
Beaulieu - Emelin
Tinordi - Diaz

Price
xxx

HM: Bozon, Vail, Hudon, Thrower, Dietz, Ellis, 2013 draftee

Oilers lineup in 3 years <-----I may be completely wrong
Hall - RNH - Yakupov
Paavarji - Gagner - Eberle
Hartikainen - Pitlick - Hemsky
Jones - xxx - Brown

Petry - J.Schultz
Klefbom - Smid
N.Schultz - Marcinin

Dubnyk
xxx

HM: Fristic, Horcoff (would be 38), Potter (he might fit into the lineup idk), 2013 draftee

What team would you pick?

PS: feel free to weigh in on my awful lineup edmonton fans, idk your team lol

Last edited by ottawa: 03-17-2013 at 09:35 PM.
ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:03 PM
SephF
See you next time

^^^

I'd have Lander over Pitlick on the depth charts. Other then that you didn't do too bad. Hard to say what the future of Hemsky and Smid are... Smid is a UFA this year and Hemsky next.

Edmonton needs a nice free agent signing, MTL already has a lot of established talent.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:24 PM
Nicko999

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
Okay guys, lets take a hypothetical trip 3 years into the future and see what a REALISTIC lineup could look like for both teams...both the habs and oilers youth and rookies will have matured by then with some new ones coming in.

Habs lineup in 3 years
Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher
Eller - Plekanec - Collberg
Kristo - Desharnais - Leblanc
Moen - White - Prust

Subban - Gorges
Beaulieu - Emelin
Tinordi - Diaz

Price
xxx

HM: Bozon, Vail, Hudon, Thrower, Dietz, Ellis, 2013 draftee
I would put Eller at center and DD on the wing. If not DD can be traded for a 50-60 pts winger.

Nicko999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:16 PM
lawrence

Habs easily.

Oilers organization is a joke. They can get the next 4 1st overall picks, and they will still suck.

lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:42 AM
Joey Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4TheCup View Post
Best post in the thread. Ill do the same thing too.

I would say the only thing that Edmonton has over Montreal is skill on the wings for the future. Eberle, Hall, Yakupov, Paajarvi will make an excellent top 6. Montreal isnt exactly in a bad position either with Pacioretty, Collberg, Kristo and Gallagher.

Montreal definetely has the edge in goaltending. Centre depth too. Galchenyuk, Plekanec and Eller with Leblanc, Bournival and Vail coming up. RNH and Gagner are pretty much the only good centres unless Anton Lander is a good prospect.

Defense is tight but IMO in Montreals favour. Subban, Gorges and Emelin are still fairly young. Beaulieu(top 4), Tinordi(top 4), Thrower(top 6), Ellis(top 6), Dietz(top 6) and Nygren(top 6). 2 defensemen with top 4 potential and another 4 with top 6 potential. Edmonton has Schultz, Smid and Petry that are fairly young and Klefbom(top 4), Marincin(top 6), Gernat(top 6) and Musil(top 6). Slightly more depth in Montreal.

I think Montreal is a bit more well rounded than Edmonton. Edmonton has a very bright future but I think Montreal will just be a more complete team.
Most of the Oilers future is in their lineup. A lot of the guys you listed are just prospects. There's the difference between the teams. Montreal might be more well rounded if those players like Collberg, Kristo, Thrower, Beauleu pan out. That's a big if.

Edit- I also completely disagree on center depth. Nuge and Gagner over Galchenyuk and Plekanec in 2-3 years and easily.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:28 AM
sansabri
#blocktheboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Most of the Oilers future is in their lineup. A lot of the guys you listed are just prospects. There's the difference between the teams. Montreal might be more well rounded if those players like Collberg, Kristo, Thrower, Beauleu pan out. That's a big if.

Edit- I also completely disagree on center depth. Nuge and Gagner over Galchenyuk and Plekanec in 2-3 years and easily.
Habs current center depth is already Plekanec, Desharnais, Eller, Galchenyuk and White. i would say that's already better than Nuge, Gagner, Horcoff, Lander, Vandevelde? in 2-3 years, who knows what will happen - but i do know our boys will still all be under 30 except for Plekanec.

Oilers might have the fancy names that come with 1st overall picks - but Habs have the balance.

sansabri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 10:53 AM
canovin
Klefbom's charm

This is basically 70s Habs vs 80s Oilers. Take your pick.

canovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 12:55 PM
1rd
¡Hala Madrid!

Habs.

Oilers ain't going anywhere without some actual defensemen and a goalie.

1rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:43 PM
Joey Moss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sansabri View Post
Habs current center depth is already Plekanec, Desharnais, Eller, Galchenyuk and White. i would say that's already better than Nuge, Gagner, Horcoff, Lander, Vandevelde? in 2-3 years, who knows what will happen - but i do know our boys will still all be under 30 except for Plekanec.

Oilers might have the fancy names that come with 1st overall picks - but Habs have the balance.
Galchenyuk
Eller
Desharnais
White

vs.

Nugent-Hopkins
Gagner
FA Signing
FA Signing/Horcoff/Lander

Once we overhaul our bottom 6 I don't see how Montreal's forwards are anywhere near Edmonton's level including centers, but that's just me maybe.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 02:49 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence View Post
Habs easily.

Oilers organization is a joke. They can get the next 4 1st overall picks, and they will still suck.
Meanwhile the Canucks are ahead of the Oilers by a staggering two points after Edmonton completed their longest road trip in franchise history.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:15 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 698
Habs

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:19 PM
SpezDispenser

Habs easily. Price, Subban, Gally, Gallagher, Tinordi, Beulieu >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the Oilers can bring to the table.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote