HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We Need a Goalie

Old
03-21-2013, 03:38 PM
Njoy Oilers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I won't deny that Dubnyk's abilities are suspect and that for a big guy he seems to make himself small, but the fact remains that something is working for him. He's stopping more shots then a lot of other guys.

So while we probably can find a guy that appears to have better mechanics, is that going to result in better on ice results?

Maybe.
Stats say is. But, watch how many are stopped in his big thick equipment from shots aways out. He does make some good saves, but alot are blocked by his D. 2 ON 1's, breakaways, shoot out attempts are where he drastically shows his flaws.
Again, I agree that a better team in front of him and we could put up with his style and results, ala G Fuhr.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil10 View Post
YES !!!! I strongly agree. Why is it that us true Oilers fans get this but the band-wagoners don't. Getting really sick and tried of the blame always being on Dubnyk.

All the people saying it's Dubnyks fault should turn on the TV and REALLY watch the full Oilers games. Open your eyes people!
Rather than watching the Oilers they should try watching some other games. They seem to think that goals aren't being scored on anyone but Dubnyk. Go watch some games in the east and then come back and try to say Dubnyk is no good. Right now the Oilers goaltending is probably better than anyone over there other than Rangers, Sens, Bruins.

Insta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:44 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 2394
Goaltending is fine, people just look for scapegoats after losses

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Koto

haha people who want bernier instead...if you want to complain inconsistent unproven goaltending fine, ask for luongo

but suggesting bernier/bishop is just laughable.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:09 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Oilers View Post
Stats say is. But, watch how many are stopped in his big thick equipment from shots aways out. He does make some good saves, but alot are blocked by his D. 2 ON 1's, breakaways, shoot out attempts are where he drastically shows his flaws.
Again, I agree that a better team in front of him and we could put up with his style and results, ala G Fuhr.
You know what's funny? That there are teams that only really allow a handful of shots that aren't from aways out. We aren't one of those.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:28 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

I was never really a fan of Dubnyk. Still don't know if he's "the guy" but right now we have bigger issues in front of him. Dubnyk has always looked really slow and clumsy out there and then I look at another big goalie like Pekka Rinne and he is fast. Still though I think we can make the playoffs with Dubnyk..not sure if we will win a cup with him though.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:29 PM
Njoy Oilers

Hey!! How about that. 2 differing opinions,...............again?????

Old
03-21-2013, 04:30 PM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
You know what's funny? That there are teams that only really allow a handful of shots that aren't from aways out. We aren't one of those.
I beg to differ, but thats ok. Movin' along now.

Old
03-21-2013, 04:40 PM
oilinblood

vCash: 553
I have zero faith in DD. IMHO he is a horrific goalie. If it wasnt for a horse shoe we stuck up his *** and all those goal posts, we would be waaaaaaaay out of a playoff spot.

Weak goals allowed in 1 goal games.

oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 04:44 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
That third Sharks goal deflated the team.

Dubnyk is not built to start 11 straight. If Khabi can not go this season bring someone in who can at least be depended on for 20+ starts in a full season.

This team is stuck with Dubnyk for next year. He can't play 70 games well. Management needs to recognize that and address the need.

Yes, but alas its our management team... which seems incapable of managing a roster or even knowing what an NHL roster looks like.

Old
03-21-2013, 04:47 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise Gagner View Post
Dubey wasn't great last night, but he's still a very respectable 11th in the league for save %, ahead of Lehtonen, Howard, Rinne, Schnieder, Luongo, Fleury, Price, Miller, Brodeur, Hiller, Pavelic, Smith, Brysgalov, Quick, and of course the pride of the fames, Kipursoff.

Those are some big name guys he's outplaying. I'm not sure how much more we can really expect from the guy in his first full year as a starter. The problem is not dubnyk, it's how many shots he's facing.

Edit- I realize the occasional softies are a pain in the ass, but it's how many goals he lets in that matters, not how they go in. For the number of shots he's faced he's doing pretty damn well in that regard.
he lets out rediculous rebounds...especially for a big goalie. He also is prone to at least one bad goal a night.

personally id cut him loose. he got his chance.

Old
03-21-2013, 04:53 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
Problem isn't Dubnyk, sorry. Oilers give up 6 more shots per game than they take, many of which are quality shots. When the Oilers outshoot the other team, they usually win...too bad they rarely do. You simply cannot win many games getting outshot by 6 every game unless your goalie is playing at a Vezina trophy level.
teams shoot against us...from every where and anywhere. This is because no opponents feel they have to work for their premium chance. When you play against DD you just fire from anywhere and know he will have problems.

I blame him for the high shots against. I love how i watch other teams and every save is smothered, rebounds are controlled, no softies every night, not seeing 2 goalposts ring out with no response from the goalie.

This will continue to be a failure team. Islanders of the late 90s folks.

The team infront of him isnt what makes him look like a beached whale... he is infact a beached whale. Pay attention to how he manages pucks. He simply doesnt. He looks like he doesnt know how to stop shots or has any feel to where it is. Big difference in team confidence watching Roli- CUJO- and then watching Dubie. Khabi played in front of the same defence...

Half of me hopes that i wake up one morning and DUbie is being shipped out for Markstrom and Luongo went to FLA. The other half of me sees us in draft Lotto again and Tambi getting fired.

Last edited by oilinblood: 03-21-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old
03-21-2013, 05:05 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
teams shoot against us...from every where and anywhere. This is because no opponents feel they have to work for their premium chance. When you play against DD you just fire from anywhere and know he will have problems.

I blame him for the high shots against. I love how i watch other teams and every save is smothered, rebounds are controlled, no softies every night, not seeing 2 goalposts ring out with no response from the goalie.

The team infront of him isnt what makes him look like a beached whale... he is infact a beached whale. Pay attention to how he manages pucks. He simply doesnt. He looks like he doesnt know how to stop shots or has any feel to where it is. Big difference in team confidence watching Roli- CUJO- and then watching Dubie. Khabi played in front of the same defence...

Half of me hopes that i wake up one morning and DUbie is being shipped out for Markstrom and Luongo went to FLA. The other half of me sees us in draft Lotto again and Tambi getting fired.
Which games are you watching??? The goals that were scored on Dubnyk last night are just like goals scored in every game in the league. People shoot on the Oilers because that's how you score goals, it has nothing to do with the goalie.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:08 PM
Hitchslap

vCash: 1600
Quote:
he lets out rediculous rebounds...especially for a big goalie. He also is prone to at least one bad goal a night.

personally id cut him loose. he got his chance.
Yeah, he has zero rebound control. That alone must result in him getting slightly higher SOG.

Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Ah yes. Now the Oilers are being outshot because Dubnyk is allowing too many rebounds. This is priceless

Old
03-21-2013, 05:27 PM
SephF
Visually Better

Quote:
Which games are you watching??? The goals that were scored on Dubnyk last night are just like goals scored in every game in the league. People shoot on the Oilers because that's how you score goals, it has nothing to do with the goalie.
Meh, I'd say Dubnky gave up three bad goals last night.

I've been fine with his body of work over the whole season but last night was on him. He looked white as a ghost when he saw Boyle lining up for the shootout.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:52 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Thank you for posting this.

Absolutely agreed. I'm seeing the most cynical of shots taken against Dubnyk. Guys specifically shooting from anywhere because they know theres a chance. Probably resisting laughter.

I'll reveal this as well. If I'm an NHL player anywhere I keep taking shots on Dubnyk. But switch it up as well. Bang one off the endboards that'll careen in front of the net. Dubs will **** his pants 9 times out of 10. Literally has no idea what to do with this situation. mainly due to him being inept at anticipating anything out of the ordinary, and being even worse trying to handle the puck to save the day.

Theres many things Roli could do in his sleep that Dubs will never likely do.

My take on Dubs is a player that has had endless quality coaching but which partially conceals that his decision making ability and thinking the game independently is poor. One sees a lot of technique, but not properly utilized. Not properly honed. I suspect its back to the drawing board often with this player.

I keep saying this. Watch Jonathon Quick, then watch Dubnyk play. Watch it in the same night. You'll see night and day.

For instance. Watch Quick with a puck around the net. He's confident and composed because he knows what to do in that situation and LEANS FORWARD to remove top shelf from a shooter. This is what somebody with brains does. Watch Dubs in the same situation. He sinks into the cage and makes himself small. No goalie coach in the world teaches that. Its all his wrong instincts.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 06:03 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Thank you for posting this.

Absolutely agreed. I'm seeing the most cynical of shots taken against Dubnyk. Guys specifically shooting from anywhere because they know theres a chance. Probably resisting laughter.

I'll reveal this as well. If I'm an NHL player anywhere I keep taking shots on Dubnyk. But switch it up as well. Bang one off the endboards that'll careen in front of the net. Dubs will **** his pants 9 times out of 10. Literally has no idea what to do with this situation. mainly due to him being inept at anticipating anything out of the ordinary, and being even worse trying to handle the puck to save the day.

Theres many things Roli could do in his sleep that Dubs will never likely do.

My take on Dubs is a player that has had endless quality coaching but which partially conceals that his decision making ability and thinking the game independently is poor. One sees a lot of technique, but not properly utilized. Not properly honed. I suspect its back to the drawing board often with this player.

I keep saying this. Watch Jonathon Quick, then watch Dubnyk play. Watch it in the same night. You'll see night and day.

For instance. Watch Quick with a puck around the net. He's confident and composed because he knows what to do in that situation and LEANS FORWARD to remove top shelf from a shooter. This is what somebody with brains does. Watch Dubs in the same situation. He sinks into the cage and makes himself small. No goalie coach in the world teaches that. Its all his wrong instincts.
Wow what a joke Dubnyk must be. The Oilers aren't being outshot because they are playing in their own end all the time, it's because other teams are shooting the puck from everywhere while laughing at how bad Dubnyk is. Doesn't sound made up at all.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:14 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Wow what a joke Dubnyk must be. The Oilers aren't being outshot because they are playing in their own end all the time, it's because other teams are shooting the puck from everywhere while laughing at how bad Dubnyk is. Doesn't sound made up at all.
IN a typical game several of the shots lets remember come from:

1)Dubnyk having no idea how to play a puck and often staying glued to his cage even if he could help the D set the break out.

2)Dubnyk staring aimlessly at pucks in crease for prolonged periods being apparently unable to use his stick, glove puck, cover puck, etc.

3)Rebounds, (multiple in sequence)aforementioned cluelessness with anything coming off the endboards.

4)Of course players taking more shots, I suspect less misses as well because when Dubnyk gives a guy thats only scored one goal all year two open feet on shortside stickside it doesn't have to be a real good shot. Other goalies prevent routine shooters from scoring many goals. Thereby resulting in the Oilers missing or outright passing up shots due to expected degree of difficulty beating quality goalies. Conversely teams don't pass up many shots against Dubnyk, why would they?

Old
03-21-2013, 06:18 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
IN a typical game several of the shots lets remember come from:

1)Dubnyk having no idea how to play a puck and often staying glued to his cage even if he could help the D set the break out.

2)Dubnyk staring aimlessly at pucks in crease for prolonged periods being apparently unable to use his stick, glove puck, cover puck, etc.

3)Rebounds, (multiple in sequence)aforementioned cluelessness with anything coming off the endboards.

4)Of course players taking more shots, I suspect less misses as well because when Dubnyk gives a guy thats only scored one goal all year two open feet on shortside stickside it doesn't have to be a real good shot. Other goalies prevent routine shooters from scoring many goals. Thereby resulting in the Oilers missing or outright passing up shots due to expected degree of difficulty beating quality goalies. Conversely teams don't pass up many shots against Dubnyk, why would they?
Yes, I know. It is Dubnyk's fault when a goal goes in and it is also Dubnyk's fault that the Oilers get lots of shots against them. He should be playing better defense and he is not good enough at keeping the puck in the offensive zone.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:30 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 196
Quote:
Who can argue with that in-depth, cutting edge analysis?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 06:34 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Who can argue with that in-depth, cutting edge analysis?
Well it's the truth. Bring up nhl.com and watch all the goals dal/col ana/chi min/det and they look no different than the goals Dubnyk lets in.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:39 PM
GO99
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 355
Dubnyk is a tall guy, but man is he ever tiny up top.

He looked like a 12 year old kid on HNIC after hours. The guy is so skinny. Look at a lot of goalies up top and they look like they have inches on him width wise.

GO99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 06:48 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Yes, I know. It is Dubnyk's fault when a goal goes in and it is also Dubnyk's fault that the Oilers get lots of shots against them. He should be playing better defense and he is not good enough at keeping the puck in the offensive zone.
A good confident puck handling goalie like Roli results in likely 5-10 less shots a game. Why? because its like having another skater back there. A few times a game Roli is clearing puck, several times he's moving puck to a PMD, and often he's got rebound control or tying up loose situations so they don't become 3-4 shot close in cluster****s which Dubs is susceptible to.

A goalie can, and does, play some part in how many total shots they are seeing. A goalie like Roli brilliantly supported MINIMIZING how much the puck stayed in his own end. Dubnyk is abysmal at puck management of any kind.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:55 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:
A good confident puck handling goalie like Roli results in likely 5-10 less shots a game. Why? because its like having another skater back there. A few times a game Roli is clearing puck, several times he's moving puck to a PMD, and often he's got rebound control or tying up loose situations so they don't become 3-4 shot close in cluster****s which Dubs is susceptible to.

A goalie can, and does, play some part in how many total shots they are seeing. A goalie like Roli brilliantly supported MINIMIZING how much the puck stayed in his own end. Dubnyk is abysmal at puck management of any kind.
Dubnyk reminds me of Markkanen with the amount of rebounds he gives out.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote