Old
03-11-2013, 12:46 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
By my math

2013 - 1967 = 46

ah yes soon to be 46 years.

how a team can go 46 years without a championship trophy and still have as many fans as the Leafs do, is still baffling to me

Old
03-11-2013, 12:50 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

vCash: 500
Urgh, just realized I have tickets for this game. Only have the ticket since I was the very last pick in the draft, nobody in their right mind wanted this game. Sigh. Only time I have ever been legitimately pissed off about away fans is when Leafs come to town, and only time I have ever seen fights (3-4 last year at one game) was when the Leafs were in town. Some of the Leaf fans that show up at games are just so stupid. It's possible to be an away fan and have fun with the home fanbase, but not with some Leafers which ruins the fanbase for all. So glad we will be down to 1 game a year here against them next year.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 400
Punish and cripple the stupid leaf. Harshly and with malice.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:05 PM
broinwhyteridge
bro license revoked!

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
This.
The first time was fun, kinda.
But the bickering is exhausting. There's no substance to it.
Agreed. If I want to bicker, I'll talk with the wife.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:11 PM
Blackie Dammit
proud flatlander

I wish Tony P was in for this game, but he won't so the Jets must stay out of the box, the Leafs have the most fighting majors and it seems to lift their team. I like that, and I like what Carlyle has done with this team, too bad it's the Leafs

Old
03-11-2013, 01:15 PM
PaperRockChamp

vCash: 880
Another night with the ex-team.. Really wish we had Peluso.

They could take it to us.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:23 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Urgh, just realized I have tickets for this game. Only have the ticket since I was the very last pick in the draft, nobody in their right mind wanted this game. Sigh. Only time I have ever been legitimately pissed off about away fans is when Leafs come to town, and only time I have ever seen fights (3-4 last year at one game) was when the Leafs were in town. Some of the Leaf fans that show up at games are just so stupid. It's possible to be an away fan and have fun with the home fanbase, but not with some Leafers which ruins the fanbase for all. So glad we will be down to 1 game a year here against them next year.
I think it's a vicious circle at this point. Last season, I still wore my Leafs jersey to both games. This year, I wore the Jets jersey, and will do so tomorrow. During the first game against the Leafs this year, there was a tension in the air in the concourse that you don't really have with other teams. Last season, I got more stick for wearing the Leafs jersey than anything I've seen fans of other teams get from going to many games (20+ so far since they've been back). It wasn't all harmless banter, either.

I think people expect the worst from Leafs fans, who have justifiably earned a reputation, but it perpetuates because people love to hate the Leafs. Last year, the Jets beat the Leafs twice, and Jets fans were not kind in leaving the arena. Given the alcohol levels, etc., I'm not surprised that one or two leafs fans took a swing. They shouldn't. If, though, like you say, it's possible to be an away fan and banter with the home fans in a respectable manner, it's also possible to be a home fan and not be a jerk to the away fan.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:55 PM
Potrzebie

Just beat the Maple Pukes. Please.

Shutout if possible so we don't have to see and hear any Maple Puke fans.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:00 PM
DarthMonty
Jurassic Park baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
Also, it should be noted that maple leaves, while possibly green, orange, red, yellow or brown, are never blue.

You'd be blue too if your team hadn't won the Stanley Cup since 1967.

I'm not sure how many old guys are members on HFJets Board, but I am old enough to remember celebrating when the Leafs last won the cup. I cheered for them because they were the archrival of the Habs, whom my father played for (in their deep farm system) and loved - it was natural for me to cheer against him then, as now, actually. We watched, and re-watched, the final game during Cubs all summer long. It was very exciting for me, being that the film was in colour, because we only had a black and white TV, because my father believed that colour was only a phase people were going through (kid you not, and he was the same about cable TV, A/C and power windows in cars, and A/C in houses - we were the last people to have colour TV and cable, in 19fricking78, when of course, I had already moved out of the house!)

Scary thought - I can remember HNIC when it was broadcast in black and white, and there was a hotstove segment during the intermission, around an actual hot stove.

Sorry for the meanderings - The Leafs were actually named after a Canadian Army regiment that Conn Smythe served with during WWI, and Toronto sports teams have traditionally worn blue, since before the turn of the previous century!

Old
03-11-2013, 02:07 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
Also, it should be noted that maple leaves, while possibly green, orange, red, yellow or brown, are never blue.

Leafs will be blue when they lose tomorrow.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:08 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbcwpg View Post
I think it's a vicious circle at this point. Last season, I still wore my Leafs jersey to both games. This year, I wore the Jets jersey, and will do so tomorrow. During the first game against the Leafs this year, there was a tension in the air in the concourse that you don't really have with other teams. Last season, I got more stick for wearing the Leafs jersey than anything I've seen fans of other teams get from going to many games (20+ so far since they've been back). It wasn't all harmless banter, either.

I think people expect the worst from Leafs fans, who have justifiably earned a reputation, but it perpetuates because people love to hate the Leafs. Last year, the Jets beat the Leafs twice, and Jets fans were not kind in leaving the arena. Given the alcohol levels, etc., I'm not surprised that one or two leafs fans took a swing. They shouldn't. If, though, like you say, it's possible to be an away fan and banter with the home fans in a respectable manner, it's also possible to be a home fan and not be a jerk to the away fan.
This is probably true. And it might be nothing more than a numbers game.

But I have worn my Kings jersey to Jets, Oilers and Flames games in the past. Almost always it is was all in good fun, but there was one time in Edmonton when a group of 5-6 Oiler fans got in front of me and got in my face trying to rattle me after the game. Clearly drunk. Wearing an away jersey you have to be the bigger fan and walk away, people are surprisingly gullible to the pack mentality. So I just kept walking, did not even acknowledge them as they tried to intimidate me and throw insults my way. As an away fan you have to be smarter, IMO.

Not that it makes people going after in a physical or harmful way fans RIGHT. They 100% are not in the right. But as an away fan you must be smarter since that is the way it goes. You need to be less aggressive when attacking , and you need to walk away. But starting Go Leafs Go chants and like the guy wearing the Leaf jersey in my section was doing last year, standing up and FLIPPING OFF THE SECTION WHEN THE LEAFS SCORED, that's going to get you in trouble. You want to be that stupid, you damn near deserve it. Never saw any other fans being that disrespectful.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 2203
Always be sure to recycle your maple leafs and other yard waste by placing them in a biodegradable bag and then place them on an appropriate curb or back lane. The maple leaf and other yard waste is taken to a central location and composted into a reusable soil-like material. Once the quality is verified, the City plans to use the material in parks, sports fields, and plan to also offer it to the public.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:12 PM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
By my math

2013 - 1967 = 46

how a team can go 46 years without a championship trophy and still have as many fans as the Leafs do, is still baffling to me
Ask Chicago and the Rangers the same question.

Hope for a hard hitting and close game tomorrow. Good luck guys.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Back in the Bigs
and lovin' it !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealisticLeaf55 View Post

yes, but those streaks actually came to an end at some point

Old
03-11-2013, 02:19 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41
Quote:

But I have worn my Kings jersey to Jets, Oilers and Flames games in the past. Almost always it is was all in good fun, but there was one time in Edmonton when a group of 5-6 Oiler fans got in front of me and got in my face trying to rattle me after the game. Clearly drunk. Wearing an away jersey you have to be the bigger fan and walk away, people are surprisingly gullible to the pack mentality. So I just kept walking, did not even acknowledge them as they tried to intimidate me and throw insults my way. As an away fan you have to be smarter, IMO.

Not that it makes people going after in a physical or harmful way fans RIGHT. They 100% are not in the right. But as an away fan you must be smarter since that is the way it goes. You need to be less aggressive when attacking , and you need to walk away. But starting Go Leafs Go chants and like the guy wearing the Leaf jersey in my section was doing last year, standing up and FLIPPING OFF THE SECTION WHEN THE LEAFS SCORED, that's going to get you in trouble. You want to be that stupid, you damn near deserve it. Never saw any other fans being that disrespectful.

Agreed, well put and that is how i conduct myself when i attend visiting stadiums during sporting events (NFL/MLB) Been to a few games at Fenway Park wearing my Yankees gear and never had an issue. Was provocted a lot but never responded

Old
03-11-2013, 02:20 PM
tbcwpg

Quote:

Away fans do have to be smarter, I agree. You're right, though, that it's a numbers game. 500 or so Kings fans, to use your team, compared to maybe 1,500 to 2,000 Leafs fans, you're more likely to have a couple of problems.

My vicious circle idea I think comes into play again with your example of flipping off the section. Imagine the stick the Leafs fans get at work, from their friends, even before the game. Leafs fans are some of the most hated people in hockey. I think a good portion of the "idiots" that you come across have been treated like the "typical Leaf fan" for a long time, and you just end up buying into it. If you tell someone you're a Leafs fan, you'll never change the other person's mind that Leafs fans aren't all idiots.

I'm going to put in a bit of an edit to say that I'm no way justifying the behaviour of a number of Leafs fans. I don't think you're justifying some Jets fans' behaviour either. This is a discussion about the outliers

Last edited by tbcwpg: 03-11-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old
03-11-2013, 02:20 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
By my math

2013 - 1967 = 46

Chicago Cubs say hello

Old
03-11-2013, 02:37 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealisticLeaf55 View Post

Chicago couldnt draw flies until 5 years ago

Not sure about NY.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Just please ****ing win, the last loss to them was bad enough. I suppose it's good for me as a loss to the Leafs is the best pre-workout I have ever taken.

But I would prefer a Jets win over a good workout.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:39 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
Chicago Cubs say hello
But baseball is awesome.
so I can under stand that

Old
03-11-2013, 02:41 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Leaf fan in peace....Its quite interesting listening to your stories about leaf fans. I myself have been on hiatus. I have refused to pay for games as long as they are were a losing team. However last year when the leafs were in 6th in the conference just over halfway through the year, i had a weak moment and went to the leafs game in Buffalo. Went with the girlfriend. There were confrontations, but mostly between guys that were completely bombed. I cant see how these guys who probably wont even remember the game itself are true fans. Just an excuse to get wasted. Well i guess that's not true, hens the soccer fights and rivalries in Europe....

Anyway ill apologize on behalf of others, but that does nothing...

Old
03-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Anyway ill apologize on behalf of others, but that does nothing...
Thanks, and it does mean something. Unfortunately, they have already started.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Rheged
JMFT

Quote:
Phil Kessel ‏@PKessel81
Off to pegvegas home of @Frazermclaren68 #bigmac
I like it.

Old
03-11-2013, 03:01 PM
bigplay41
BIG MEECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
I like it.
whats the meaning behind Pegvegas? still puzzled by that tweet lol

Old
03-11-2013, 03:09 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
whats the meaning behind Pegvegas? still puzzled by that tweet lol
all the hookers, blow, and gambling you can handle?

Closed Thread