HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Does Our Defense Look Like Next Year (Ideally, No Trades)

Old
03-11-2013, 11:48 AM
zeus3007*

vCash: 500
What Does Our Defense Look Like Next Year (Ideally, No Trades)

So, we obviously still need help on defense. Aside from trades (we all know that doesn't really happen with the Oilers), what can we do to improve the team? Who can we add? Hopefully, Klefbom is ready to step in. And hopefully we can bring in a decent veteran.

Unfortunately, we have no top pairing guys available as free agents. So, if we can re-sign Smid and Fistric, and maybe grab a veteran free agent. What do you think, does this look better than what we have currently?

Smid-J. Schultz
Petry - Regehr/Scuderi???
N. Schultz-Klefbom
Fistric/Peckham

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:51 AM
backhandsauce

Klefbom will not be ahead of Fistric. This teams needs NHL Defenseman, No more throwing out rookie's to the Wolves. Let Oscar ride the bus in OKC.

a UFA is the way to go.

backhandsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Musashi

wheres Seth Jones?

Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:55 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
Klefbom will not be ahead of Fistric. This teams needs NHL Defenseman, No more throwing out rookie's to the Wolves. Let Oscar ride the bus in OKC.

a UFA is the way to go.
Klefbom doesn't seem like the type to "ride the bus". Wouldn't surprise me at all if he stays in Europe if he doesn't make the big club.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:55 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Brodziak View Post
wheres Seth Jones?
Probably Florida.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:57 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Klefbom doesn't seem like the type to "ride the bus". Wouldn't surprise me at all if he stays in Europe if he doesn't make the big club.
except for the fact he said he was coming over next year regardless.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:59 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
except for the fact he said he was coming over next year regardless.
Ok, fair enough. I hadn't heard that, thanks.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:01 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 3960
Quote:
So, we obviously still need help on defense. Aside from trades (we all know that doesn't really happen with the Oilers), what can we do to improve the team? Who can we add? Hopefully, Klefbom is ready to step in. And hopefully we can bring in a decent veteran.

Unfortunately, we have no top pairing guys available as free agents. So, if we can re-sign Smid and Fistric, and maybe grab a veteran free agent. What do you think, does this look better than what we have currently?

Smid-J. Schultz
Petry - Regehr/Scuderi???
N. Schultz-Klefbom
Fistric/Peckham
With Klefbom missing most of this season, I wonder if he'll be able to step in and play right away. Maybe a mid-season call up?

All of Peckham, Potter and Whitney will be replaced. I don't see anything that Peckham brings to the table that Tuebert can't replace, especially when they are basically depth defencemen.

I agree we need to hit the market and find someone.

J. Schultz- ?
Smid-Petry
N. Schultz-Fistric
Teubert

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:12 PM
SchultzSquared

Tough to fill the below hole without a trade.. but you are right... Tambo has never shown the ability to make that kind of move... not that the price would ever be favorable...

X-Schultz
Smid-Petry
Fistric-Jones (yes I went there)

Scuderi okay... but I doubt he leaves sunny, defending champion LA for here when he has a good gig next to Doughty... only way that works is if Kings decide they don't want him back over a cheaper internal option... they do have lots of youngsters to their credit (Voynov, Forbort, Muzzin, etc.)

Keith Yandle would work really well here. OEL if we go the offer sheet route (but be prepared to pay $7M).

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:16 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
If the oilers are smart,they start klefbom on the farm for either half the year or the entire years. I am a huge Klefbom fan and if the oilers develop him right, he can be a top 4 if not a top 1-2 d-man.

Here is my list--In no order

Schultz
Schultz
Smid(re-signed)
Fistric( re-signed)
Petry

here is where it gets fun

I think Whitney ends up in St Louis, Rangers or Boston for a second or third
Sutton is done
peckham is a RFA and i think that the oilers will take a long look at what to do with him
Potter is signed for one more year

In the system (also in no order)
Klefbom ( should start the year on the farm)
Erik Gustafsson-this is my darkhorse guy--saw him play last year and I think we may sse him in 3-4 years
David Musil-last year of junior and will be on the farm next year
Dillon Simpson--Uni one more year and a long shot for the NHL
Martin Marincin- 6-4 dman who is in his first year of pro
Martin Gernat- could be an overage junior next year or on the farm
Taylor Fedun- I like this guy--he has heart
Colten Teubert- He could be a 5-6-7 in the league next year
Alex Plante- I think that taps will be sounded for this guy in the oilers organization

I have always been a petry fan, but I think he could be on the move for another d-man and I think the oilers will look for another vetren D-man

So where am i going?
Here is my prediction for 7 d-man on the oilers roster
Schultz
Schultz
Smid
Fistric
New D-man
New D-man
Teubert

Petry I think will be traded I think

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:21 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I could see Marincin making the team out of camp.

I think Klefbom will make it, but I hope for his sake he starts the year in OKC, along with Gernat and Musil.

There's little doubt we will resign Fistric and Smid, so there's half of our bottom 4.

I seriously would not be surprised if they resigned Whitney, because its the oilers.

We won't be picking first so we won't be drafting jones and there's no D man in the draft that can or should step in instantly other than him.

There's a chance we trade for a guy who becomes a cap casualty due to the new CBA, like Pronger in 05. I'm not sure who it would be, though. Maybe a Slava Voynov who the Kings probably won't be able to afford to keep around. If not, I hope we sign Scuderi.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:30 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I could see Marincin making the team out of camp.

I think Klefbom will make it, but I hope for his sake he starts the year in OKC, along with Gernat and Musil.

There's little doubt we will resign Fistric and Smid, so there's half of our bottom 4.

I seriously would not be surprised if they resigned Whitney, because its the oilers.

We won't be picking first so we won't be drafting jones and there's no D man in the draft that can or should step in instantly other than him.

There's a chance we trade for a guy who becomes a cap casualty due to the new CBA, like Pronger in 05. I'm not sure who it would be, though. Maybe a Slava Voynov who the Kings probably won't be able to afford to keep around. If not, I hope we sign Scuderi.
Marincin is not ready for the NHL, he needs at least 2 more seasons after this one. Lets not start rushing our young guys now. If we can resign our UFA dmen then we will have this for sure:
Schultz; Schultz-would rather find another left dman to play with J. Schultz as N.Schultz is not a top pairing dman.
Smid; Petry
Fistric
If there is a way to get a dman like Yandle then I would be happy with:
Yandle; J.Schutlz
Smid; Petry
Schultz; Fistric
Potter/Peckham 7th dman
Klefbom can start in the minors and depends how he does if he gets called up when injuries hit.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:37 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
Tough to fill the below hole without a trade.. but you are right... Tambo has never shown the ability to make that kind of move... not that the price would ever be favorable...

X-Schultz
Smid-Petry
Fistric-Jones (yes I went there)

Scuderi okay... but I doubt he leaves sunny, defending champion LA for here when he has a good gig next to Doughty... only way that works is if Kings decide they don't want him back over a cheaper internal option... they do have lots of youngsters to their credit (Voynov, Forbort, Muzzin, etc.)

Keith Yandle would work really well here. OEL if we go the offer sheet route (but be prepared to pay $7M).
IMHO if the Oilers can figure out the top LD situation they're set on D for ther next few years. They can fill in the 3rd paring RD internally or through draft/trade or FA, but I think they need to look at moving some assets to find that top minute munching LD.

Obviously every team in the league is looking for that type D-man, but the Oilers have the assets to move if one is made available.

I agree that a Yandle or OEL type would really look good there, question is, what would it take to get either of them? Maybe the league decides they don't want to pay OEL his money and moves him for something cheaper?

Would the 1st round pick if it's 1st overall this year start the conversation?

Yandle/OEL - J. Schultz
Smid - Petry
Fistric - Jones (or FA)
Peckham
Potter

Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:52 PM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post

a UFA is the way to go.
i simply couldn't agree with this more.... klefbom needs a full season (at least) in the AHL to develop his game... he'll likely need 1.x seasons in fact, getting his first legitimate playing time in edmonton in 2014-15... more rookies is not what this team needs

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:55 PM
ExOilerFan

vCash: 50
We need a top 2 dman to play with J.Schultz. Move N.Schultz to the 3rd pairing where he belongs

____ J.Schultz

Smid Petry

Fistric N.Schultz

Let Klefbom develop in the AHL

ExOilerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:11 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

McDonagh is a 23yr old LD poised for #1 status soon...

Ebs for RMcD?

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Horseradish

Well, if the Oilers want to get competitive to the point of being contenders before all of the young ELCs are up, they're pretty much forced to trade either their 1st pick this year+ or trade one of our skilled wingers. I'd love it to be Hemsky, but he won't command the same that, say, Eberle would. With Eberle, we could legitimately pick up a young-ish stud d-man. And with another top-10 pick this year, we'll be adding another fantastic piece-- maybe not as good as Eberle, or maybe even on D, but the team needs more defense than scoring, in my humble opinion.

Secondly, if the team picks a d-man this year, they can always sign a UFA 2nd line forward to help out with some scoring-- preferably a bigger, tougher player who can park himself in front of the net or use his size to win battles down low and retrieve the puck.

I'd honestly RATHER trade a skill guy for some help on the back end than suffer through another "oh we need a stud d-man SO badly" season.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:17 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
McDonagh is a 23yr old LD poised for #1 status soon...

Ebs for RMcD?
This is why I put in the no trades thing. Realistically, we won`t be getting a Ryan McDonagh, Oliver Ekman-Larson, or even a Keith Yandle.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:20 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

Next season starts with:

Smid - J Schultz
Schultz - Petry
Fistric - Klefbom
Peckham/Potter

Ends up like:

Klefbom - J Schultz
Smid - Petry
Fistric - N Schultz
Peckham/Potter

I am a big supporter of letting the prospects develop, but I think Klefbom is rock solid and would benefit more by staying in the NHL.

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:21 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
is there any highly touted, highly skilled college players that arent going to sign with the team that drafted them and will be UFA's?

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:24 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
This is why I put in the no trades thing. Realistically, we won`t be getting a Ryan McDonagh, Oliver Ekman-Larson, or even a Keith Yandle.
Those are three very different players, both in tradability and value.

1) OEL is not being moved. PHX will give him big money and likely match any offer sheet tabled for him

2) Yandle, while great, is not the type of defenseman we need. He is basically an advanced version of Schultz, and does not compliment his game whatsoever. Acquiring him will create a Visnovsky-Souray like dilemma where both were top pairing Dmen in their own right, but neither could be relied upon in a shutdown role to play with each other.

3)McDonagh is among a log-jam of defensemen on the Ranger blue line (Staal, Girardi, MDZ), on a team that's lacking a true RW scoring threat (Gabby and Nash are both LW). Rangers need goals more than they need to prevent them right now, especially seeing as how Lundqvist can excel even with an average defense.

I think Ebs is someone Sather gives up a talent like McDonagh for

Old
03-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Lets leave trades alone

Maybe we make a trade, but it's pretty improbable knowing our management and the small amount of high end d men that fly around via trade

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Pointteen

Sign Scuderi and Regehr.
Re-sign Smid and Fistric.

Scuderi Schultz
Smid Petry
Regehr Fistric
Potter
Klefbom, Teubert and Marincin battle for the first call-up position.

Pointteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:30 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

McDonagh Schultz
Smid Petry
Fistric Klefa

Now that's a blue line you can build around

Old