HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Does Our Defense Look Like Next Year (Ideally, No Trades)

Old
03-11-2013, 01:32 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Smid - Petry
Schultz - Schultz
***** - Potter

If Tambellini makes no trades, then Potter is here for another year. As a RHS, it basically keeps him in the #6 spot.

I'm guessing they retain Fistric and plug him in on the 3rd pairing LD spot. Klefbom seems like the most likely #7, but if he's not ready to jump directly into the NHL, then Peckham is probably the second "*****" in my lineup.

Now, hopefully we do make a trade. I'm not big on the UFA class this year, and some teams could be looking to offload some salary with the cap going down. A player like Roszival would be a great signing to replace Potter on the 3rd pair with Fistric, but we didn't show any interest in him last year and I can't see it happening now.

With the new realignment, Vancouver, Calgary, Anaheim, LA, Phoenix, and San Jose are less likely to be trading NHL players to Edmonton. But overall, teams will have more trading partners because the playoffs are decided divisionally, not by conference. So all other current WC teams become more likely trading partners. I think Columbus has always been a good partner as far as a needs matchup goes, and I think it only improves with the new alignment. The only problem is, I don't want Johnson at the price it would take to get him.

03-11-2013, 01:32 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I can't imagine Nick Schultz going anywhere

He was given an A for a reason, the team obviously thinks highly of him
Yeah but they gave Whitney the A as well in years past.

Watching Schultz he's pretty bad. I'm talking Potter/Whitney bad

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Pointteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
McDonagh Schultz
Smid Petry
Fistric Klefa

Now that's a blue line you can build around
Do you really want Klefbom stepping into the NHL immediately? If he earns his way there then yes absolutely. But I wouldn't pencil him into a starting lineup spot. Plus having him as a healthy scratch seems like a waste of a year for him.

Starting the year on the top pairing in Oklahoma City with someone like Marincin could do wonders for him if he struggles with the smaller ice surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I can't imagine Nick Schultz going anywhere

He was given an A for a reason, the team obviously thinks highly of him
I've seen A's taken away from players and lots of alternate captains traded. I wouldn't think too much of it.

Pointteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:47 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Smid - Petry
Schultz - Schultz
***** - Potter

If Tambellini makes no trades, then Potter is here for another year. As a RHS, it basically keeps him in the #6 spot.

I'm guessing they retain Fistric and plug him in on the 3rd pairing LD spot. Klefbom seems like the most likely #7, but if he's not ready to jump directly into the NHL, then Peckham is probably the second "*****" in my lineup.

Now, hopefully we do make a trade. I'm not big on the UFA class this year, and some teams could be looking to offload some salary with the cap going down. A player like Roszival would be a great signing to replace Potter on the 3rd pair with Fistric, but we didn't show any interest in him last year and I can't see it happening now.

With the new realignment, Vancouver, Calgary, Anaheim, LA, Phoenix, and San Jose are less likely to be trading NHL players to Edmonton. But overall, teams will have more trading partners because the playoffs are decided divisionally, not by conference. So all other current WC teams become more likely trading partners. I think Columbus has always been a good partner as far as a needs matchup goes, and I think it only improves with the new alignment. The only problem is, I don't want Johnson at the price it would take to get him.
Klefbom won't be a number 7. He'll be in the top six, or on the farm. They won't curb his development by having him set in the press box.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:51 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
if Klefa shows up to camp and plays the way he did at the rookie camp he will land a top 6 if not top 4 roll. he is a phenominal skater and positionally perfect. he has a man size body so it will be more about him adjusting to the pro game. Brodin has looked great so far and i expect Klefa to look the same. if he needs any extra time then let him go to okc, but i would be very surprised if he didnt appear on the big club at some point in the season.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

I hope we never get rid of Mister Fister.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I'd hope Mark Streit could be convinced to sign here, he's still playing 25 minutes at age 35, didn't realize that. One question is with Whitney putting together a hand full of good games on the trip, and Nick Schultz falling off the map, who would we rather keep going forward? Assuming Whitney can maintain this play all year, I think it's an easy choice to make.

Whitney-J.Schultz
Smid-Petry
Streit-Fistric

Mowzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 01:59 PM
CupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Those are three very different players, both in tradability and value.

1) OEL is not being moved. PHX will give him big money and likely match any offer sheet tabled for him

2) Yandle, while great, is not the type of defenseman we need. He is basically an advanced version of Schultz, and does not compliment his game whatsoever. Acquiring him will create a Visnovsky-Souray like dilemma where both were top pairing Dmen in their own right, but neither could be relied upon in a shutdown role to play with each other.

3)McDonagh is among a log-jam of defensemen on the Ranger blue line (Staal, Girardi, MDZ), on a team that's lacking a true RW scoring threat (Gabby and Nash are both LW). Rangers need goals more than they need to prevent them right now, especially seeing as how Lundqvist can excel even with an average defense.

I think Ebs is someone Sather gives up a talent like McDonagh for
I would be beyond shocked if Sather traded his shut down #1 defenseman who is still young enough to improve for a RW. McD is not expendable in NY, he's their best defenseman bar none.

As to the D next season.... I'll be choked if there's no changes made. Smid and Petry should be nowhere near a top pairing, Justin Schultz MIGHT be ready for full time top 4 duty next season and Nick Schultz shouldn't be in the top 4. It's a mess that needs to be sorted out so basically and this is if Smid and Fistric are re-signed, the Oilers have a potential top pairing guy in J. Schultz who probably won't be ready for that role yet, two 2nd pairing guys in Smid and Petry and two 3rd pairing guys in N. Schultz and Fistric and no NHL level depth beyond that with Whitney gone. Yikes!!!

I don't know what it would take but Tambo desperately needs to bring in a legit top pairing guy so that not only the other guys play in their proper roles but J. Schultz has a legit D partner to learn from so he can play his game.
Also, unless Klefbom absolutely blows away the coaching staff in TC and preseason, he should be nowhere near the NHL next season. Let him develop properly in the AHL and get acclimated to the North American game for a full season before throwing him to the wolves.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:01 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

If its Whitney vs N.Schultz there's no question who I'd prefer. As bad as Whitney was early on, he's still more versatile and gifted (not to mention younger) than Schultz.

I haven't been impressed with Schultz at all, dating back to the trade. I feel it's a travesty that he's getting 3.5M a year

Old
03-11-2013, 02:04 PM
OiledUp

Unless his injury really sets him back or he struggles greatly with the transition Klefbom should be ready to start in the NHL. Don't think he's that far off Brodin and look what he's done in Minnesota, now Brodin has insane poise and hockey IQ which probably helped with the transition to a faster better league, along with him being put in a better siuation with Suter in a defensively solid team. I also think Brodin has the higher ceiling but Klefbom is bigger, stronger and more developed physically atm. Better straight line skater as well. Along with ok smarts and poise. And an amazing defensive stick. He should be fine.

Swedish d-men seems to succeed en masse atm so he's got that going for him as well.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:06 PM
belair

XXXX - J Schultz
Smid - Petry
Fistric - N Schultz
Peckham

Ideally I'd like to fix that 5-6-7 setup and get a decent RHD option not named Corey Potter. If his +/- wasn't the world's worst, Nick Schultz might be a viable trade option at this year's deadline.

Steve Tambellini has a hell of a lot of work to do this summer and if he avoids the trade market as the OP suggested he should be relieved of his position.

As for callups, we will likely see some of Colton Teubert, who's taken some steps this season. And I'd almost guarantee that Martin Marincin gets a cup of coffee next year. I wont comment on Klef because I don't know where he stands after that shoulder injury.

belair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:06 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Brodziak View Post
wheres Seth Jones?
Florida's going to get him.The Oilers are going to get the big centerman this draft.

Future 6'3 and over 210 pound top-six centerman.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
I'd hope Mark Streit could be convinced to sign here, he's still playing 25 minutes at age 35, didn't realize that. One question is with Whitney putting together a hand full of good games on the trip, and Nick Schultz falling off the map, who would we rather keep going forward? Assuming Whitney can maintain this play all year, I think it's an easy choice to make.Whitney-J.Schultz
Smid-Petry
Streit-Fistric
Quote:
If its Whitney vs N.Schultz there's no question who I'd prefer. As bad as Whitney was early on, he's still more versatile and gifted (not to mention younger) than Schultz.I haven't been impressed with Schultz at all, dating back to the trade. I feel it's a travesty that he's getting 3.5M a year

strongly disagree, we need to let whitney go.

This isnt an issue of skill, this is "who will actually be able to skate consisntently for 70 games a year"

thats not whitney. whitneys ankle is on the upswing right now, if we can get an asset for him at the deadline we should.

if we cant, we should still let him walk, we just cant rely on that going forward.

nick shultz hasnt been great but is at minimum an average bottom pair guy. something whitney has only been able to match 10 times in the last season and a half.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:15 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I would be beyond shocked if Sather traded his shut down #1 defenseman who is still young enough to improve for a RW. McD is not expendable in NY, he's their best defenseman bar none.

As to the D next season.... I'll be choked if there's no changes made. Smid and Petry should be nowhere near a top pairing, Justin Schultz MIGHT be ready for full time top 4 duty next season and Nick Schultz shouldn't be in the top 4. It's a mess that needs to be sorted out so basically and this is if Smid and Fistric are re-signed, the Oilers have a potential top pairing guy in J. Schultz who probably won't be ready for that role yet, two 2nd pairing guys in Smid and Petry and two 3rd pairing guys in N. Schultz and Fistric and no NHL level depth beyond that with Whitney gone. Yikes!!!

I don't know what it would take but Tambo desperately needs to bring in a legit top pairing guy so that not only the other guys play in their proper roles but J. Schultz has a legit D partner to learn from so he can play his game.
Also, unless Klefbom absolutely blows away the coaching staff in TC and preseason, he should be nowhere near the NHL next season. Let him develop properly in the AHL and get acclimated to the North American game before throwing him to the wolves.
McD isn't the "bar none" best on that team, if anything it's Girardi.

He doesn't even have the highest potential of the 4 (MDZ), but Schutz already brings that MDZ style game for us.

He's a helluva valuable asset, but still attainable IMO. Hence the hefty price (Eberle)

Old
03-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
This is why I put in the no trades thing. Realistically, we won`t be getting a Ryan McDonagh, Oliver Ekman-Larson, or even a Keith Yandle.
I think PHX would be falling over themselves trying to give us yandle for eberle, which i would strongly decline, not exactly a tough minutes guy.

OEL seems unlikely, but money may be a factor

McD is the guy i think we should be pushing hard for.

Quote:
Those are three very different players, both in tradability and value.

1) OEL is not being moved. PHX will give him big money and likely match any offer sheet tabled for him

2) Yandle, while great, is not the type of defenseman we need. He is basically an advanced version of Schultz, and does not compliment his game whatsoever. Acquiring him will create a Visnovsky-Souray like dilemma where both were top pairing Dmen in their own right, but neither could be relied upon in a shutdown role to play with each other.

3)McDonagh is among a log-jam of defensemen on the Ranger blue line (Staal, Girardi, MDZ), on a team that's lacking a true RW scoring threat (Gabby and Nash are both LW). Rangers need goals more than they need to prevent them right now, especially seeing as how Lundqvist can excel even with an average defense.

I think Ebs is someone Sather gives up a talent like McDonagh for

An awkward OS could perhaps be a problem for phx, but yeah i tend to think theyd prefer to sign OEL vs any possible trade.

agree on yandle and McD though.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:19 PM
CupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
McD isn't the "bar none" best on that team, if anything it's Girardi.

He doesn't even have the highest potential of the 4 (MDZ), but Schutz already brings that MDZ style game for us.

He's a helluva valuable asset, but still attainable IMO. Hence the hefty price (Eberle)
Absolutely wrong. I dare you to post that on the Rangers board.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Kreider is best

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Musashi

I think counting on Klefbom to be a regular in the top 6 next year would be a mistake. Not saying he couldnt surprise us, but he's coming off surgery and we have no idea what he's going to look like translating to the North American pro game.

Add to the fact that we probably won't have an effective veteran dman on the right side to help him adjust and I think we are setting our expectations too high right away.

We should give him time unless he immediately proves that hes too good for the ahl like Schultz

Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:43 PM
Oil In My Veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Brodziak View Post
I think counting on Klefbom to be a regular in the top 6 next year would be a mistake. Not saying he couldnt surprise us, but he's coming off surgery and we have no idea what he's going to look like translating to the North American pro game.

Add to the fact that we probably won't have an effective veteran dman on the right side to help him adjust and I think we are setting our expectations too high right away.

We should give him time unless he immediately proves that hes too good for the ahl like Schultz
Exactly, adding another inexperienced D to this line-up and expecting anything out of him is a mistake.

IMO Tambellini HAS to move Whitney (or let him go) and send potter down. He needs at least 2x experienced guys coming in next year, one for some depth on the bottom pairing and one as a top pairing LD.

Oil In My Veins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 03:00 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Opinion on an Ebs for McD trade is basically 50/50 from NYR fans from what I've seen on trade forum.

It's like 80-90% from fans of other teams

Old
03-11-2013, 03:57 PM
topchowda

I believe Klefbom will be on this team by the half way point next year. I like Whitney will be gone by deadline this year and N.Schultz will be dealt when Klefbom steps in.

Play him for a half year in AHL so he can transition then bring him up if hes good. Brodin is same age and same experience and doing very good in NHL this year. Mind you Brodin was considered a better prospect pre draft but Klefbom did develop well before injury.

Brodin, Karlsson,OEL just show that young swedish defensman can handle NHL playing style

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:40 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Klefbom won't be a number 7. He'll be in the top six, or on the farm. They won't curb his development by having him set in the press box.
The 7D spot is pretty fluid spot. We've been pretty fortunate health-wise in the top 4 this year, but that's not always the case. The 7th defenseman will always get into plenty of games.

I'd lean more towards Klefbom playing next year in the AHL anyway, but the whole point of having him as the #7 in my lineup would be to make sure we don't have to rely on a rookie defenseman to round out our top 6. Have 6 capable NHL defensemen BEFORE adding rookies into the mix is the way we should be building our defense. I'm sick of this "save a spot for the player with 0 NHL experience" planning that Tambellini loves so much.

Even if Klefbom plays well enough in camp to earn a spot, development rarely happens in a straight line. It's not always the jump to the higher level that gets players, it's usually finding a way to maintain it over the course of an 82 game season.

misfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:29 AM
CROTT

If been thinking about whether or not Klefbom should play in the NHL or the AHL next year. With missing almost the whole year due to a shoulder injury, I would rather have him play in the AHL to start. But, then I thought about the Barons blue line next year. With Gernat, Musil, and Bigos turning pro and with Davidson, Fedun, and Marincin returning. There is gonna be a lot of fighting for ice time, and these guys would not benefit much from a trip to Stockton.

Then the Oilers have to make a decsion on the to RFAs in Teubert and Plante. Both former first round draft picks that are a #7 on a really, really good day. And I think they both might need to clear waivers to play in OKC next season. If I was Tambelini I would let them both walk and clear up the contract space. I know that its kind of poor asset management to let them both walk, but I doubt Tambelinis is getting any calls about them. They might be part of a bigger trade thats all you can hope for.

The way I see the Oilers and OKC blue next year.

Oilers,
Smid-J. Schultz
N. Schultz-Petry
Klefbom-Fistric
Peckham

OKC,
Marincin-Fedun
Gernat-Musil
Bigos-Davidson
Veteran AHL defender

OKCs blue line is gonna be really inexperienced again next season, just hopefully Stu has better luck picking defensemen then forwards... (Pitlick, Hamilton )

Last edited by CROTT: 03-12-2013 at 01:34 AM.
CROTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:34 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

^^^ Did you mean you hope he has better luck picking forwards?

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:00 AM
MetaOil1993

IMO ideally our defense should look like this.

____-J Schultz
Smid-Petry
____-N Schultz
Fistric

Fistric can pop in when we play big heavy teams. For the blanks I would target 1 more puck moving defense man and 1 more shut down guy. If Klefbom is ready then we move N Schultz and the trade deadline next year.

Scuderi and Streit would be sweet pickups in the off season, Would bring some nice veteran presence to the d-core. Who knows about trades either.

MetaOil1993 is offline   Reply With Quote