HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Does Our Defense Look Like Next Year (Ideally, No Trades)

Old
03-12-2013, 03:37 AM
Dazed and Confused
Ludicrous speed, GO!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowzie View Post
I'd hope Mark Streit could be convinced to sign here, he's still playing 25 minutes at age 35, didn't realize that. One question is with Whitney putting together a hand full of good games on the trip, and Nick Schultz falling off the map, who would we rather keep going forward? Assuming Whitney can maintain this play all year, I think it's an easy choice to make.

Whitney-J.Schultz
Smid-Petry
Streit-Fistric
Just because he's playing 25 min a night, doesn't mean he's doing it well, though I admit, I like the idea of adding Streit. Plus with his background with Krueger and the Swiss national team, I could see him being willing to come here.

I see people wanting to pencil in Klefbom and Marincin, and while I think they could handle 3rd pairing minutes, the problem there is once injuries hit (and let's face it, this is the Oilers we're talking about...), and they're forced to play top 4 roles and subsequently get eaten alive.

At this point I really think a team, in order to be truly competitive, needs to have 8 or 9 options that it's comfortable playing in the top 6, and about 6 guys that could handle top 4 minutes. If Klefbom or Marincin are on the opening day roster next year, than this team will be having depth issues by midseason.

Smid-J. Schultz
Fistric-Petry
Streit-N. Schultz
Peckham, Potter

FARM:
Marincin-_____(Clark maybe?, if wants to play again for OKC)
Klefbom-Fedun
Musil-Teubert

Dazed and Confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:54 AM
LaGu

@CupofOil

I know that people are a bit afraid that we're putting rookies in the line up without them actually being ready, I get that. What I don't get, at all, is why Klefbom has to "blow away" the coaching staff at TC/pre-season to earn a spot... Well I guess I would ask for the definition of blowing away?

If he's playing better than some of the other defensemen we intend to start the year with he should be on the team. That's how it works. Playing better doesn't mean showing flashes of great play, that can work for forwards but not for defensemen, it means that he's outplaying the others.

What will happen with Klefbom is anyones guess at this point but I'm very much against the notion that he needs to play like the next Lidstrom in training camp to be able to earn a roster spot...

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 04:06 AM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
@CupofOil

I know that people are a bit afraid that we're putting rookies in the line up without them actually being ready, I get that. What I don't get, at all, is why Klefbom has to "blow away" the coaching staff at TC/pre-season to earn a spot... Well I guess I would ask for the definition of blowing away?

If he's playing better than some of the other defensemen we intend to start the year with he should be on the team. That's how it works. Playing better doesn't mean showing flashes of great play, that can work for forwards but not for defensemen, it means that he's outplaying the others.

What will happen with Klefbom is anyones guess at this point but I'm very much against the notion that he needs to play like the next Lidstrom in training camp to be able to earn a roster spot...
It's about development. If he plays lights out in training camp, then he will earn a spot but it's better for his development to play in the AHL. It will be an easier transition for him and will only help IMO. I see Klefbom being a member of the core. He's going to a be a very good player, let him develop and not rush him.

Ice Whole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 04:14 AM
plikestechno

In a perfect world I'd trade whitney, n schultz and smid. It would be cool to keep whitney around on a cheap 2 year deal but hes going to market to get one last big contract or to a contender to play on their bottom pair. They all are or are about to be overpaid. Its not like putting potter, fistric and peckham in their spots would make this D any worse. It might make it better. And then theres klefbom, marincin, gernat coming and maybe we could try some different vets via ufa or trade.

plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:54 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
In a perfect world I'd trade whitney, n schultz and smid. It would be cool to keep whitney around on a cheap 2 year deal but hes going to market to get one last big contract or to a contender to play on their bottom pair. They all are or are about to be overpaid. Its not like putting potter, fistric and peckham in their spots would make this D any worse. It might make it better. And then theres klefbom, marincin, gernat coming and maybe we could try some different vets via ufa or trade.
Are you serious?

You don't want to overpay on Smid, so you can either replace him with rookies or a UFA you'll have to overpay for?

That's seven years of development down the drain. We'd be the New New York Islanders.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Koto

i laugh at the idea of replacing smid with a ufa. for the lat 3 years weve needed to add quality dmen to smid & co. every year we strike out, now suddenly we'll lose an nhl dman, and be needing another, in addition to our perpetual two holes.

Its not happening.

and funnily enough, for the most part people on this board are happy we didnt pick up wiz at 5.5, wideman at 5.5, carle at 5.5, kuba at 4

"after seeing the signings today, im glad we didnt ruin our cap on these average dmen" -most oiler fans, every july 1st.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 11:52 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Whole View Post
It's about development. If he plays lights out in training camp, then he will earn a spot but it's better for his development to play in the AHL. It will be an easier transition for him and will only help IMO. I see Klefbom being a member of the core. He's going to a be a very good player, let him develop and not rush him.
Well I guess we are just of different opinion. IMO the better the opposition you play against, the better you develop. If he comes out of TC as a top 6 defenseman he should be playing here. In my book, if Klefbom plays "lights out" or "blows away" management in TC that would mean that he's probably top 2, right? Maybe I am having some difficulty with understanding your wording in this context.

The point is that if a defenseman like Klefbom, for who the defensive game is his bread and butter, is playing better than other defensemen on the roster then it's non-issue whether he should be playing here or not. If that kind of player shows that he can handle it he should be thrown out against the very best forwards in the league. That's how he'll develop best. As I wrote in previous posts, it's different for forwards but I can also add that it is different for offensive defensemen.

Anyway, this too much of a hypothetical argument so I'll just leave it at that.

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:45 PM
OiledUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Whole View Post
Not trying to be a smartass but why?

If he's good enough to stick, gets at least 15-16 min/game and gets to PK he should be in a great position to develop. He's a defense first d man, there isn't a massive amount of offensive potential that needs honing, he's already been able to handle a top pairing role in a good mens league and he's physically ready.
Sure if he's only good enough to be a #7D or simply can't handle the transition then the AHL is a good place, but if that's not the case I agree with LaGu, the best place for him to learn is against the best possible competition.

I think that if you're good enough you're good enough. Only reason someone should play at a lower level than they can handle is if they need room to develop offensively against lower competition or they don't get enough ice time.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:52 PM
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 50
In terms of prospects, I can see Fedun being given a cup of coffee, depending on how training camp goes. He seems like an all-around player with good hockey IQ.

I mean, if Potter can do it...

AlowlyMcOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaOil1993 View Post
IMO ideally our defense should look like this.

____-J Schultz
Smid-Petry
____-N Schultz
Fistric

Question - why does everyone think that Justin Schultz is ready to be first pairing next year? Currently he's not playing first pairing (Smid and Petry are), and he's had his good games and is bad game.

He was absolutely terrible in Nashville, with numerous giveaways in his own zone. He needs more games experience, not more responsibility.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:49 PM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Question - why does everyone think that Justin Schultz is ready to be first pairing next year? Currently he's not playing first pairing (Smid and Petry are), and he's had his good games and is bad game.

He was absolutely terrible in Nashville, with numerous giveaways in his own zone. He needs more games experience, not more responsibility.
THANK YOU.

Ideally the depth chart would look like this next year:

----- Petry
Smid J Schultz
N Schultz Fistric
ext: who cares-- probably Potter

Even if we could pick up another solid 2nd pairing guy via UFA I'd be okay. Though ideally, I think we could really land a stud d-man by dangling Eberle.

NO MORE rookies or young d-men playing above their heads. Edmonton's new organizational motto should be: "If it works for Detroit, we're gonna do it".

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:51 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

I think we lose Smid.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 04:09 PM
MetaOil1993

Quote:

I agree that J Schultz needs more experience to be a top pair defense man but does it really matter how I put the lines? The first pairing D will likely be Smid and Petry to go head to head against other teams top lines anyway.

MetaOil1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaOil1993 View Post
I agree that J Schultz needs more experience to be a top pair defense man but does it really matter how I put the lines? The first pairing D will likely be Smid and Petry to go head to head against other teams top lines anyway.
Ah sorry then. A lot of people had put J. Schultz at the top of the order, and I thought that meant that people had anointed him a first pairing defender... which I think is premature.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:10 PM
mcjukon
#McNailedIt

Quote:
Ah sorry then. A lot of people had put J. Schultz at the top of the order, and I thought that meant that people had anointed him a first pairing defender... which I think is premature.
You do realize he doesn't have to be a first pairing Dman to be our best Dman.

mcjukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:56 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 408
our defense will look the same as it does this year, minus Whitney, plus a rookie, plus a 3rd pairing Fistric/Foster-type.

IOW, equally as brutal.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:08 PM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
our defense will look the same as it does this year, minus Whitney, plus a rookie, plus a 3rd pairing Fistric/Foster-type.

IOW, equally as brutal.
A depressing, but very real prophesy if Tambelweeny is still at the helm.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:51 PM
BoldMcNewLettuce
Esquire

play offersheet with St. louis. (the oils real competition)
I wonder if they could swing sheets at Berglund, Shatter, and Pietrangelo....to get one of them....

Maybe throw 7 at Pietro....
Then 5 at Berglund. Could be some quick size in for Gags.
If they matched Bergs....than they can swing Shatty.....if not....than at least they screw St. Louis somehow.

possibility of;
Smid-Schultz
Schultz-Shattenkirk
Klefbom-Petry
Fistric

BoldMcNewLettuce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:59 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
Why not head over to the main board to the "UFA Defensemen" thread. It lists all of the UFA d-men this summer. Smid is the most desirable one.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:35 AM
Oilwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldNewLettuce View Post
play offersheet with St. louis. (the oils real competition)
I wonder if they could swing sheets at Berglund, Shatter, and Pietrangelo....to get one of them....

Maybe throw 7 at Pietro....
Then 5 at Berglund. Could be some quick size in for Gags.
If they matched Bergs....than they can swing Shatty.....if not....than at least they screw St. Louis somehow.

possibility of;
Smid-Schultz
Schultz-Shattenkirk
Klefbom-Petry
Fistric
I would have no problems whatsoever if we throw 8M/56M at Pietro in the summer. He is worth 5 1st rounders even if we get Jones in Newark. Actually I say its a must.

Oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:54 PM
moog35

Is there any chance Teubert would make the team?

moog35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:12 PM
McArthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I could see Marincin making the team out of camp.

I think Klefbom will make it, but I hope for his sake he starts the year in OKC, along with Gernat and Musil.

There's little doubt we will resign Fistric and Smid, so there's half of our bottom 4.

I seriously would not be surprised if they resigned Whitney, because its the oilers.

We won't be picking first so we won't be drafting jones and there's no D man in the draft that can or should step in instantly other than him.

There's a chance we trade for a guy who becomes a cap casualty due to the new CBA, like Pronger in 05. I'm not sure who it would be, though. Maybe a Slava Voynov who the Kings probably won't be able to afford to keep around. If not, I hope we sign Scuderi.
Marincin is going to be a beast. Had klefbom not got hurt, he had a chance but Marincin owns spot 6 and maybe 5 next season. Could replace Petry down the road....

McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:36 PM
Oilwings

Quote:
Originally Posted by McArthur View Post
Marincin is going to be a beast. Had klefbom not got hurt, he had a chance but Marincin owns spot 6 and maybe 5 next season. Could replace Petry down the road....
If Marincin gets pencilled in then the Oilers dcore will continue to suck. He's not ready.

Oilwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:57 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
THANK YOU.

Ideally the depth chart would look like this next year:

----- Petry
Smid J Schultz
N Schultz Fistric
ext: who cares-- probably Potter

Even if we could pick up another solid 2nd pairing guy via UFA I'd be okay. Though ideally, I think we could really land a stud d-man by dangling Eberle.

NO MORE rookies or young d-men playing above their heads. Edmonton's new organizational motto should be: "If it works for Detroit, we're gonna do it".
Agreed. If we can bring in a Scuderi or Gonchar for a short term deal (under 2 years) with an overpay, It'll put us in a good position. That way we can keep Nick Schultz off the top pairing, and give Klefbom time to recover and adapt to the NA game

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Sheikyerbouti
ShakeyerMcBooty

It terrifies me seeing some of these posts with Smid in the top pairing. I understand why he's so popular but I think his actual ability is overrated on this forum. We need more players like him, and he's bought into his role and has experience, but I wouldn't touch him for anything more than 3.2 million. It makes way more sense to pay more to get more, or package assets to upgrade his role.

Our D as I see it. We need two experienced top 4 dmen.

JShultz -XXX
XXX-Smid or Schultz
Petry-Fistric
ex Potter

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote