HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

The Power Play Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 11:00 AM
Boom Boom Anton

vCash: 500
The Power Play Thread

Someone else mentioned this in the GDT and thought it might be worthwhile having a thread dedicate to discussing the PP.

Carolina is currently 29th in the league in PP%. The only team worse is Buffalo. When you take into account short handed goals against, the Canes have a net of 10 goals in 98 PP attempts. Here are some other numbers for comparison.

The best team in the league is Anaheim 25.6%.
The league average PP% is 18.4%
Canes are at 13.3%

The best team in the league in PP opportunities is Montreal with 125
The league average PP opportunities is 97
Canes are at 98.

The best team in the league in PP goals: Flyers at 27
The league average: 18
The Canes are at 13.

The best "net" goals (PP goals - SH goals against): MTL at 25, PITT, NYI, PHI at 24.
The league average: 16.1
The Canes are at 10.

So at this point in time, if the Canes would have had an "AVERAGE" PP, they're goal differential would be 6 goals better and I can say pretty confidently that it would have resulted in a couple of more wins (or at least some loser points).

So as Chip says, the floor is open. What needs to change?

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:06 AM
Datsyuk Prospect

vCash: 157
One thing is for sure, not having Brent on the PP.

Semin on point with either Faulk or McBain.

Datsyuk Prospect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:07 AM
Lucky Lindy

A big thing is that we have some problems with get the puck in the zone and keep it there. Mostly, we just dumps the puck and the other team just clear it. When we get some possession, I agree with the one who write in the last GDT: When we should shoot, we pass. And when we should pass, we shoot.

I also think we need someone else at the point instead of Brent, it maybe worked in the beginning, but not anymore. Why hasn't McBain got the chance yet, when everyone else got it?

Lucky Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:51 AM
Joe McGrath

IMO the first unit should be Eric, Jordan and Semin up front, with McBain and Faulk on the point. Corvo would be fine as well. Put Jordan's giant ass in front of the goalie and move the puck around until someone has an open lane to shoot and fire away. That doesn't mean shoot from everywhere but at this point there needs to be a shoot first mentality. The pretty passing plays Mullers PP are designed to create just aren't there.

Joe McGrath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:57 AM
dammit100

^agree with all of that

dammit100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:57 AM
Boom Boom Anton

I'm surprised McBain isn't on the PP. Compared to the other D, his shot seems to get through more than anyone and when he seems to be able to cut to the net at the right time on the backside as well.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
I'm surprised McBain isn't on the PP. Compared to the other D, his shot seems to get through more than anyone and when he seems to be able to cut to the net at the right time on the backside as well.
Not to mention he's a better passer than Faulk/Corvo/Brent/Harrison/etc.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:45 PM
totalkev

The wild thing about this is that we may well be the best team in the NHL 5-on-5. Does somebody want to look up our goal differential at even strength? I'll bet it's impressive. It makes no logical sense that we play better 5-on-5 than we do 5-on-4, so my suggestion would be to roll our normal lines on the power play for a while, instead of sending out units.

Send out Tlusty-EStaal-Semin with a normal defense pair and see what happens. Which makes me think, why do we ignore Tlusty on the power play? I'll bet we're the only team in hockey who's leading goal scorer isn't on either of the top two power-play units.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
The wild thing about this is that we may well be the best team in the NHL 5-on-5. Does somebody want to look up our goal differential at even strength? I'll bet it's impressive. It makes no logical sense that we play better 5-on-5 than we do 5-on-4, so my suggestion would be to roll our normal lines on the power play for a while, instead of sending out units.

Send out Tlusty-EStaal-Semin with a normal defense pair and see what happens. Which makes me think, why do we ignore Tlusty on the power play? I'll bet we're the only team in hockey who's leading goal scorer isn't on either of the top two power-play units.
Tlusty has been out there with Staal and Semin for at least the last two weeks. He's generally the guy trying to set up in front of the net, which isn't exactly what he's built for. That's probably why you didn't even notice him out there. That's also why I'd rather see Jordan in that role.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:59 PM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:

5th in 5-on-5 goals for/goals against in the NHL, at 1.26.

Chicago 1.50
Anaheim 1.49
Montreal 1.40
Pittsburgh 1.28
Carolina 1.26
Boston 1.24

Head Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:10 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Nihil Novi Sub Soli

We don't slow it down. Instead of gaining the zone, setting up around the opponents box and passing the puck around, we try to go for the goal almost immediately. The home run pass.

That's why I dislike Corvo and Brent on the PP, especially the points. They get pressured, and they will try to force a play. On the PP, the only players who should hold the puck for longer than 3 seconds are Skinner, Semin and E. Staal. They can actually play keep away with it.

Finlandia WOAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:18 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

We need to make use of the offensive talent on our blue line, and we need a forward or two who can stand in front of the net and cause a little bit of discomfort for the defense. Tlusty is ok at getting into the dirty areas, but even he is really not the kind of hard-ass that gets into a goalie's kitchen and occupies a defenseman to create a 4-on-3 for everyone else. We also need Pitkanen back, badly.

But even with the roster we have, we should be getting better results. Enough with the set plays. Put the puck on net and go grind out an ugly goal or two, then worry about making picture-perfect passes. I don't know how many times Neuvirth was able to casually put his glove over the puck with no pressure last night.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:26 PM
Joe McGrath

At this point I would take having LaRose in front of the net calling the goalie names over what it current looks like.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:26 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Put Wallace and Westgarth in front of the net, Semin and McBain on the blue line and let Eric dangle.

Metro Misfits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGrath View Post
At this point I would take having LaRose in front of the net calling the goalie names over what it current looks like.
Was it Avery that would face the goalie during a power play?

Metro Misfits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:38 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Frankly, the PP is just far too predictable. They set it up so that there's a wide man open on one side of the umbrella, then that person one-times it...directly into the goaltender's chest, because he (and anyone who's watched game film) knows that it's coming. A lot more movement of the players, as well as having more than one "trigger man" on each particular unit would help a lot.

I think there's also a problem of "going back to the well" too often. Yesterday's game was a perfect example. They scored two goals, one off a pass directly in front of the net, one off a deflection in the high slot.

What was the offense doing the entire time after that? Attempting to pass it in the high slot, only to be rejected...over and over again. There was no adjustment made when it became completely obvious that the Caps had made their own.

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:47 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Semin View Post
Put Wallace and Westgarth in front of the net, Semin and McBain on the blue line and let Eric dangle.
If we're going to waste a roster spot on Westgarth, we may as well give him one shift to see if he can play that role. Weirder things have happened.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:07 PM
Roboturner913

Too many passes, trying to be too perfect. I said this a couple days ago, but the one drawback of Alex Semin on this team is that now everybody is trying to be Alex Semin and thread the perfect pass through two defenders instead of doing what's fundamentally right.

Corvo made a pass in the corner a few games ago to Semin by the net for a goal, but he got very lucky the defender just missed it. If it hadn't resulted in a goal it would've been monumentally stupid and probably ended up in an odd-man rush the other way.

Roboturner913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:11 PM
msgtcody

heres a few examples of what i'd like to see.

pp1 i like semin working the circles rather than the point. hes a threat to shoot or set somebody up. i like staals body in the middle and ability to sweep in loose pucks and get pucks on net. i like tlusty floating around looking for open space to either get an across ice set up by semin or something loose from a point shot. i like mcbain and faulk right now because its what we have to work with and mcbain is a little less uh oh than corvo.

pp2 i like going with a theme and keeping the lines together. yet again we have a big staal in front of the net and this time flanked by 2 good puck handlers and shooters. jokinen and skinner are there to make things happen, staals there to take care of rebounds and shield the goalie and we have corvo bombing in shots from the point. harrison as of late has also shown some offensive upside and will lean towards being more defensively responsible if corvo has a moment.

unfortunately though 2 injuries are keeping us right now from having my ideal pp set up. i would replace tlusty with ruutu and either put ruutu in front of the net or out on a circle to get loose pucks and hold possession bang around a little. i like pitkanen on the pp just for his skating ability and shots towards the net.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pp1.jpg‎ (56.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg pp2.jpg‎ (57.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg ideal pp.jpg‎ (58.8 KB, 6 views)

msgtcody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:15 PM
Novacane
RIP UT

I'd try going back to loading the top PP. Spreading it out really hasn't helped any and maybe we'd see some better results. Not that it was great the first time but at least it *looked* okay.

I think they just need to forget the situation and just play hockey. Not run plays, no thinking about making the pretty play or the pretty shot. Just play hockey.

Also, take Brent off the PP, move up Faulk, insert McBain onto the 2nd PP d-pairing, and put Semin back on the point. Maybe when Pitkanen and Ruutu come back we can spread out the lines again but as it stands right now, things aren't working at all.

Novacane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:38 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
I was thinking about that Kev...and I think there is a couple of reasons for it.

1) They style of play that makes the top line (and even 2nd) successful at ES is not what makes a PP successful.

2) The opposing team cannot ice the puck at ES but they can on the PP.

What I mean is that the Canes top line (and even the 2nd to an extent) is largely successful when they get the puck in deep, get a forecheck going with 1 forward high and try to prevent the opposition from getting the puck to their forwards. Semin, Staal, Tlusty are strong along the boards. When the opposing team tries, the high forward (as well as pinching defensemen) disrupt it and keep it in the zone.

That approach really wouldn't work on the PP because rather than just trying to get the puck to their forwards, the D (or forwards helping low) can just ice it which easily negates the type of game the Canes are good at even strength.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:43 PM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Anton View Post
I was thinking about that Kev...and I think there is a couple of reasons for it.

1) They style of play that makes the top line (and even 2nd) successful at ES is not what makes a PP successful.

2) The opposing team cannot ice the puck at ES but they can on the PP.

What I mean is that the Canes top line (and even the 2nd to an extent) is largely successful when they get the puck in deep, get a forecheck going with 1 forward high and try to prevent the opposition from getting the puck to their forwards. Semin, Staal, Tlusty are strong along the boards. When the opposing team tries, the high forward (as well as pinching defensemen) disrupt it and keep it in the zone.

That approach really wouldn't work on the PP because rather than just trying to get the puck to their forwards, the D (or forwards helping low) can just ice it which easily negates the type of game the Canes are good at even strength.
The Bruins have been the same way basically since Thornton left. Their PP has been abysmal but they are so good 5 on 5 and on the PK you don't really notice (unless you're a fan). Even with Chara, Bergeron, Lucic, Seguin, and Krejci- seemingly the perfect mix of guys it still sucks.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:54 PM
impeach estaalo
fire mullo

vCash: 50
We could really use a PP QB on D. We have a lot of offensive D but none with any real history of success on the powerplay. I do think it's ridiculous that McBain doesn't get any PP time, though.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:59 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaxing Joni Jokel View Post
We could really use a PP QB on D. We have a lot of offensive D but none with any real history of success on the powerplay. I do think it's ridiculous that McBain doesn't get any PP time, though.
Makes a big difference. Montreal last year was near the bottom of the league last year at 14% and are near the top this year at 21%. Markov is a big reason why and he has 16 PP points himself. The MTL fans I sat next to when the Canes played MTL all commented about what a difference he made.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:47 PM
Roboturner913

Is there any reason Corvo couldn't be that guy? I mean, it's supposed to be the one thing he's always been really good at.

My ideal PP unit right now:

Semin-JStaal-Tlusty
Corvo-EStaal

left shot on the right side, right shot on the left side. Jordan puts his big butt in front of the goal, Tlusty and Semin work the corners and behind the net. Corvo and Eric fire away.

Second unit would have to be some combo of Jokinen, Skinner, Faulk, McBain or Sanguinetti, and whatever other forward is playing well at the moment probably Nash or Dwyer.

Roboturner913 is online now   Reply With Quote