HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Colorado Avalanche Prospects Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-11-2013, 08:55 PM
  #726
RockLobster
Moderator
Beatles Guru
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,867
vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsfanJack View Post
Kent Patterson is playing terrible this year. Since Milan moved up, the Cutthroats went from undefeated, to losing almost every game. Sadly, I don't see Patterson sticking around the Avs organization much longer.
I saw Patterson play live just last week, he looked pretty decent to me. Didn't have to make a TON of huge, game-changing saves, but he made the hard ones look easy. The two goals he let in, as I explained in a prior post, were more because of defensive breakdowns that left forwards either pretty much on top of him, or with enough time to decide where they wanted to shoot because there were no Wichita Thunder players near them.

The Denver Cutthroats team didn't play as good as I thought they would have given their record coming into the season, their defense was poorish and spotty and left Patterson out to dry (as evidenced by my explanation of how they got their 2 goals).

Now I haven't seen any games since because I live in Kansas and can't watch the Cutthroats on a regular basis.

__________________


Thought I'd been in love before, but in my heart I wanted more. Seems like all I really was doing was waiting for you - John Lennon/The Beatles
RockLobster is offline  
Old
11-11-2013, 09:07 PM
  #727
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional
 
tigervixxxen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 10,458
vCash: 50
Interesting, wonder if those first 5 wins were Millan steals.

tigervixxxen is offline  
Old
11-11-2013, 09:14 PM
  #728
RockLobster
Moderator
Beatles Guru
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,867
vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post
Interesting, wonder if those first 5 wins were Millan steals.
Hard to say, all reports are that Millan has played outstanding for the Cutthroats, and it looks like their Offense was doing quite well.

Based on the incredibly small sample size of just the one game I saw, it might be that teams may have figured out how to play them

RockLobster is offline  
Old
11-11-2013, 09:32 PM
  #729
AvsfanJack
Registered User
 
AvsfanJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 738
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
Hard to say, all reports are that Millan has played outstanding for the Cutthroats, and it looks like their Offense was doing quite well.

Based on the incredibly small sample size of just the one game I saw, it might be that teams may have figured out how to play them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post
Interesting, wonder if those first 5 wins were Millan steals.
His deal is up this offseason, along with Millan. Do you guys see him signed to a new deal? I can see us just going with Varly and Pickard next year. And having Aittokallio and Martin in the AHL. I'm not big into the cutthroats idea. Inferior competition, and we have like one prospect on the team(Patterson).

Edit: I left out Millan, I guess we'll have Martin alone on the Cutthroats in my scenario with Milan and Aitto in the A.


Last edited by AvsfanJack: 11-11-2013 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Left something out.
AvsfanJack is offline  
Old
11-11-2013, 09:51 PM
  #730
Bender
TheHockeyProspector
 
Bender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,946
vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsfanJack View Post
His deal is up this offseason, along with Millan. Do you guys see him signed to a new deal? I can see us just going with Varly and Pickard next year. And having Aittokallio and Martin in the AHL. I'm not big into the cutthroats idea. Inferior competition, and we have like one prospect on the team(Patterson).

Edit: I left out Millan, I guess we'll have Martin alone on the Cutthroats in my scenario with Milan and Aitto in the A.
Martin will be 19 and will be back in junior unless he makes the Avs.

Bender is offline  
Old
11-11-2013, 10:02 PM
  #731
RockLobster
Moderator
Beatles Guru
 
RockLobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas
Country: Germany
Posts: 11,867
vCash: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsfanJack View Post
His deal is up this offseason, along with Millan. Do you guys see him signed to a new deal? I can see us just going with Varly and Pickard next year. And having Aittokallio and Martin in the AHL. I'm not big into the cutthroats idea. Inferior competition, and we have like one prospect on the team(Patterson).

Edit: I left out Millan, I guess we'll have Martin alone on the Cutthroats in my scenario with Milan and Aitto in the A.
Martin can only play in the OHL or NHL next year, he can't play in the AHL or for the Cutthroats

So yes, I can see both Patterson and Millan getting deals next year

RockLobster is offline  
Old
11-14-2013, 11:58 AM
  #732
Mifroid
Registered User
 
Mifroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 953
vCash: 400
I read somewhere in the prospect boards that Bigras is not having a good year, anyone can talk about him?

Mifroid is offline  
Old
11-14-2013, 12:10 PM
  #733
henchman24
#ImagineAvs
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 10,717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mifroid View Post
I read somewhere in the prospect boards that Bigras is not having a good year, anyone can talk about him?
He is fine, just on a bad team and trying to carry the load. Last I saw he was playing with a rookie, on his off hand, and trying to still carry the defense. When Rose gets back (I don't recall how long he was out), Bigras will start to put up more numbers and play better.

henchman24 is online now  
Old
11-14-2013, 09:20 PM
  #734
AvsfanJack
Registered User
 
AvsfanJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 738
vCash: 50
Hishon was back in action tonight boys. Picked up an apple in a 3-1 win over the Marlies. Pickard with the win.

AvsfanJack is offline  
Old
11-15-2013, 09:41 PM
  #735
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,349
vCash: 50
I was watching Butcher the last two weeks and the kid has got shades of Kimmo Timonen.

Firstly, he is an amazing skater. I was quite disappointed with Bigras at training camp and how NSS rated him as the fastest skater in the whole 2013 draft. I can say, based on my own opinion that Butcher and MacKinnon are much faster than Bigras. Butcher might lack agility (which Bigras probably has), but makes up for it in straight line speed and is one of the fastest on DU.

I was surprised by how little he is getting played, this could be due to LaLeggia bring the same qualities, though Butcher was definitely one of DU's best defensemen during the games I watch. He has really good hockey IQ and reads the play both offensively and defensively very well. A lot of people were saying that he needs serious help defensively, but I do not see this at all. Yes he needs to be tougher in the corners and understand where to be in the defensive zone, but don't think it is Stefan Elliott bad. He used his stick a lot, breaking up passes and scoring opportunities for the opponents. It seems that he knows his weaknesses and decides to outsmart the forecheckers. Though when matched against a more mature forward with size, skill, and speed in the corners, there is no match for Butcher currently.

He made a ton of good passes in all three zones, has a really underrated shot, and like I said before reads the game really well. Going the college route was definitely a good career choice with all that practice and weight room time he will definitely be a solid two-way defenseman when done. I just hope the Avs or him do not decide to rush things, he needs a minimal of three years before even getting ready to lace up an NHL preseason game.

I did notice one bad habit, even though he is a really good passer, he tends to be lazy and throw soft passes in the neutral zone (more towards the defensive blue line). He will learn from this in time, but overall I really liked what I saw (He clearly has NHL talent with PP specialist being his main focal point).


Off Topic: I saw some Blandisi talk in either this trade or another thread about his size. Blandisi is small, but he is a really tough player and surprisingly strong in the corners. The kid is already 200 lbs, so based on my viewings of him against NHL players in camp....he is WAY closer to Rinaldo/Oshie frame than the Joey Hishon/Ryan Nugent-Hopkins frame.


Last edited by S E P H: 11-15-2013 at 09:52 PM.
S E P H is offline  
Old
11-15-2013, 10:02 PM
  #736
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional
 
tigervixxxen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 10,458
vCash: 50
Thanks for the report on Butcher, he's definitely an interesting prospect. I was looking at some draft rankings from last fall and Butcher was in the 2nd round range. Just wondering if there is any reason why he fell to the 5th round?

tigervixxxen is offline  
Old
11-15-2013, 10:17 PM
  #737
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,349
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post
Thanks for the report on Butcher, he's definitely an interesting prospect. I was looking at some draft rankings from last fall and Butcher was in the 2nd round range. Just wondering if there is any reason why he fell to the 5th round?
Because of those "major" question marks on defense. I remember reading from scouts and scouting sites that his defensive game would never be up to NHL quality, picture a defensive game worse than Elliott/Cumiskey.

Yes he has a lot to learn, but it isn't as bad as these people were saying. I am still VERY surprised that he fell to the 5th round, his offensive talent alone is late 2nd - 3rd round worthy.

S E P H is offline  
Old
11-15-2013, 10:19 PM
  #738
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 18,690
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I was watching Butcher the last two weeks and the kid has got shades of Kimmo Timonen.

Firstly, he is an amazing skater. I was quite disappointed with Bigras at training camp and how NSS rated him as the fastest skater in the whole 2013 draft. I can say, based on my own opinion that Butcher and MacKinnon are much faster than Bigras. Butcher might lack agility (which Bigras probably has), but makes up for it in straight line speed and is one of the fastest on DU.

I was surprised by how little he is getting played, this could be due to LaLeggia bring the same qualities, though Butcher was definitely one of DU's best defensemen during the games I watch. He has really good hockey IQ and reads the play both offensively and defensively very well. A lot of people were saying that he needs serious help defensively, but I do not see this at all. Yes he needs to be tougher in the corners and understand where to be in the defensive zone, but don't think it is Stefan Elliott bad. He used his stick a lot, breaking up passes and scoring opportunities for the opponents. It seems that he knows his weaknesses and decides to outsmart the forecheckers. Though when matched against a more mature forward with size, skill, and speed in the corners, there is no match for Butcher currently.

He made a ton of good passes in all three zones, has a really underrated shot, and like I said before reads the game really well. Going the college route was definitely a good career choice with all that practice and weight room time he will definitely be a solid two-way defenseman when done. I just hope the Avs or him do not decide to rush things, he needs a minimal of three years before even getting ready to lace up an NHL preseason game.

I did notice one bad habit, even though he is a really good passer, he tends to be lazy and throw soft passes in the neutral zone (more towards the defensive blue line). He will learn from this in time, but overall I really liked what I saw (He clearly has NHL talent with PP specialist being his main focal point).


Off Topic: I saw some Blandisi talk in either this trade or another thread about his size. Blandisi is small, but he is a really tough player and surprisingly strong in the corners. The kid is already 200 lbs, so based on my viewings of him against NHL players in camp....he is WAY closer to Rinaldo/Oshie frame than the Joey Hishon/Ryan Nugent-Hopkins frame.
Out of curiosity why were you disappointed in Bigras at training camp? Seemed to get rave reviews from Roy, and from the clips Dario posted he looked to have some very strong 1 on 1 skills.

The best skater thing always seemed odd to me. My guess was they were using different qualifications for that. Maybe more his lateral movement, and overall skating ability rather than top speed. That seems to fit him more as he is very good in this area, but isn't lightning fast like a Cumiskey, or Elliott or Barrie.

Foppa2118 is offline  
Old
11-15-2013, 10:19 PM
  #739
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,468
vCash: 645
Wasn't Bigras rated the "best" skater and not the "fastest" skater?

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
11-15-2013, 10:23 PM
  #740
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,349
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Out of curiosity why were you disappointed in Bigras at training camp? Seemed to get rave reviews from Roy, and from the clips Dario posted he looked to have some very strong 1 on 1 skills.

The best skater thing always seemed odd to me. My guess was they were using different qualifications for that. Maybe more his lateral movement, and overall skating ability rather than top speed. That seems to fit him more as he is very good in this area, but isn't lightning fast like a Cumiskey, or Elliott or Barrie.
It had to be agility and lateral skating for the ranking, because straight line speed, he doesn't come close to MacKinnon or Butcher.

S E P H is offline  
Old
11-15-2013, 10:25 PM
  #741
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 18,690
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
It had to be agility and lateral skating for the ranking, because straight line speed, he doesn't come close to MacKinnon or Butcher.
I see, so when you said you were disappointed in him, it was more in terms of his speed based on expectations from that ranking. That makes sense, I had a similar reaction.

Foppa2118 is offline  
Old
11-15-2013, 10:27 PM
  #742
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,349
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I see, so when you said you were disappointed in him, it was more in terms of his speed based on expectations from that ranking. That makes sense, I had a similar reaction.
Yes!!! If you're going to rate a player the "best skater" as Avs19 mentioned, it should be in terms of all around ability and not just agility, lateral movement, and foot work IMO.

S E P H is offline  
Old
11-15-2013, 10:31 PM
  #743
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional
 
tigervixxxen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 10,458
vCash: 50
Did we ever see the source on the "best skater" thing? Wasn't it just something the Avs tweeted but there was never any link?

tigervixxxen is offline  
Old
11-16-2013, 08:50 AM
  #744
AvsfanJack
Registered User
 
AvsfanJack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 738
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I see, so when you said you were disappointed in him, it was more in terms of his speed based on expectations from that ranking. That makes sense, I had a similar reaction.
When I saw him play this year, I thought he was real fast. He was flying around in warmups, outskating the rest of his team. He just doesn't play uber fast. He plays a safe, technical game. He turned on the jets a few times and blew past a bunch of guys when his team was doing nothing on the PP. If he were on our team now, I would put him right up there with the best of them(d-men) in terms of speed.

AvsfanJack is offline  
Old
11-16-2013, 12:58 PM
  #745
Foppa2118
Registered User
 
Foppa2118's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Country: United States
Posts: 18,690
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsfanJack View Post
When I saw him play this year, I thought he was real fast. He was flying around in warmups, outskating the rest of his team. He just doesn't play uber fast. He plays a safe, technical game. He turned on the jets a few times and blew past a bunch of guys when his team was doing nothing on the PP. If he were on our team now, I would put him right up there with the best of them(d-men) in terms of speed.
My impression was he's a guy that's always moving fast, so when he goes to skate fast, it's pretty much the same speed. Sometimes those guys don't look like they're skating fast because their top speed is very similar to their coasting speed, but really both are pretty fast.

Foppa2118 is offline  
Old
11-21-2013, 01:54 PM
  #746
kento19
@kento19
 
kento19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: St. John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 50
Bigras is playing for the OHL tonight in the Russian superseries

kento19 is online now  
Old
11-21-2013, 02:51 PM
  #747
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional
 
tigervixxxen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 10,458
vCash: 50
There is a stream too. 7pm eastern. 11/25 is the other OHL game.

http://chl.insinc.com/canadavsrussia/

tigervixxxen is offline  
Old
11-21-2013, 07:37 PM
  #748
kento19
@kento19
 
kento19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: St. John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 50
Bigras has 2 assists so far. Also found out i've been saying his name wrong all this time. Wow that's terrible of me lol. I thought it was pronounced like it's spelled.

kento19 is online now  
Old
11-21-2013, 07:46 PM
  #749
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 4,349
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kento19 View Post
Bigras has 2 assists so far. Also found out i've been saying his name wrong all this time. Wow that's terrible of me lol. I thought it was pronounced like it's spelled.
The S is silent!

S E P H is offline  
Old
11-21-2013, 07:47 PM
  #750
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional
 
tigervixxxen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 10,458
vCash: 50
One assist to BabyBro McGinn too, that amuses me. Great play if there are ever any highlights. He's playing physical out there, took one penalty and an intercepted pass lead to a SH goal. He was with Nurse to start but has been moved around.

tigervixxxen is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.