HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Colorado Avalanche Prospects Thread

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-02-2013, 04:41 PM
  #776
Chau Vo
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
It's a little bit surprising considering Bigras hasn't put up great numbers with Owen Sound. But good that he is appreciated by people outside the Avs organization. Roy, Sakic were always going to give him every chance since he's their guy but Hockey Canada have no emotional investment.
He's playing it safe because he's playing with Sharipzyanov.

Chau Vo is online now  
Old
12-02-2013, 05:18 PM
  #777
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,820
vCash: 500
Very happy to see Bigras get the invite and I hope he makes the team.

Oilers fans are really freaking out over Nurse. Then again, some people here were freaking out last year when Siemens wasn't invited to the 40 man camp so I guess that's normal.

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
12-02-2013, 05:30 PM
  #778
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy
 
bohlmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 14,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Very happy to see Bigras get the invite and I hope he makes the team.

Oilers fans are really freaking out over Nurse. Then again, some people here were freaking out last year when Siemens wasn't invited to the 40 man camp so I guess that's normal.
I still think Siemens is going to disappoint a lot of people.


I think they said that Nurse plays too dangerous of a game, needs to keep it simple. Bigras is the perfect example of that. I really hope he makes the team. Can't wait to watch him.

bohlmeister is offline  
Old
12-02-2013, 05:48 PM
  #779
Lonewolfe2015
Registered User
 
Lonewolfe2015's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 12,210
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
I still think Siemens is going to disappoint a lot of people.
What is disappoint these days? I've resigned him to be a pretty good top 4 defender, if he were top pairing he'd be doing better in the AHL most likely.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline  
Old
12-02-2013, 05:57 PM
  #780
cgf
Registered User
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 12,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
What is disappoint these days? I've resigned him to be a pretty good top 4 defender, if he were top pairing he'd be doing better in the AHL most likely.
He'll replace Hejda eventually, and that's all I ever expected. Maybe a little meaner version, especially with Footer around to give him tips once he hits the big league club.

cgf is offline  
Old
12-02-2013, 06:01 PM
  #781
Nihiliste
Registered User
 
Nihiliste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
He'll replace Hejda eventually, and that's all I ever expected. Maybe a little meaner version, especially with Footer around to give him tips once he hits the big league club.
It will be many years before he's as good as Hejda is now, if he reaches that level.

Nihiliste is offline  
Old
12-02-2013, 06:03 PM
  #782
cgf
Registered User
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 12,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
It will be many years before he's as good as Hejda is now, if he reaches that level.
I think he'll be close enough to do the job on the second pairing in 3.

cgf is offline  
Old
12-02-2013, 06:06 PM
  #783
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy
 
bohlmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 14,628
vCash: 500
I'll just say that I will be pleasantly surprised if he turns out to be the player Hejda is. Avs have a great track record in drafting, but I just didn't see it when I watched Siemens live.

I really wish I could see some Erie games though, would be interested in seeing him at the professional level.

bohlmeister is offline  
Old
12-02-2013, 06:13 PM
  #784
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
I still think Siemens is going to disappoint a lot of people.
Agreed. I'll admit I haven't seen him play too much, just going off what I saw at the Memorial Cup and what I've read/heard but I'm a lot less excited than I was when we drafted him. Maybe my expectations were just too high but it doesn't seem like he has improved a whole lot in the last few years.

The physical tools are there but he seems to be severely lacking in hockey IQ and with consistency. He's only 20 though and not everyone can crack the NHL right away. Might just take him a few years to put it all together.

Avs_19 is offline  
Old
12-02-2013, 06:18 PM
  #785
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional
 
tigervixxxen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 16,360
vCash: 50
If its any consolation, Lake Erie's defense has gone in the crapper with Siemens out.

tigervixxxen is online now  
Old
12-02-2013, 06:22 PM
  #786
Avs71
17
 
Avs71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,960
vCash: 500
Didn't Renegade say something like he thinks Siemens will see his biggest improvement once he is in the NHL? That sounds too obvious, but I thought there was something to that affect, at least while Siemens was still in Saskatoon.

Probably need to watch quite a few games before you could see the impact he makes. If anyone drops in watches Hejda,even this season, they probably wouldn't think he's that great. But if you watch him night in and night out, you remember all the good defensive plays he makes, how he eats up PK minutes like no one else, and just gets his job done. Hopefully we will see something similar in Siemens.

Avs71 is offline  
Old
12-02-2013, 06:27 PM
  #787
henchman24
If and if...
 
henchman24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 13,033
vCash: 500
In my very few viewings of Siemens this season, he has looked good for a rookie. He definitely has some learning to do, but he was playing in a top 4 shutdown role and holding his own. Still very raw though. One thing to remember with him is that he is never going to put up a bunch of points. You will never be able to base his play on his stat line. Hell, even at his high end I don't see him as a 20 point defensemen in the NHL.

henchman24 is offline  
Old
12-02-2013, 06:37 PM
  #788
cgf
Registered User
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 12,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
In my very few viewings of Siemens this season, he has looked good for a rookie. He definitely has some learning to do, but he was playing in a top 4 shutdown role and holding his own. Still very raw though. One thing to remember with him is that he is never going to put up a bunch of points. You will never be able to base his play on his stat line. Hell, even at his high end I don't see him as a 20 point defensemen in the NHL.
Which i fear is where a lot of the disappointment comes from. Siemens' hockey IQ hasn't been a problem at all from what I've seen of him as he uses his tools very effectively defensively. But he won't put up the numbers people think a 11th overall pick should be. I don't care about his numbers as long as he keeps developing defensively as he has been, with that size, strength, skating and mean-streak he can be a very good top 4 guy for us who anchors our PK and lets one of Barrie or Elliott play their game. Just needs to keep growing as he has been and he'll be there in a few years.

cgf is offline  
Old
12-02-2013, 06:43 PM
  #789
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy
 
bohlmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 14,628
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Which i fear is where a lot of the disappointment comes from. Siemens' hockey IQ hasn't been a problem at all from what I've seen of him as he uses his tools very effectively defensively. But he won't put up the numbers people think a 11th overall pick should be. I don't care about his numbers as long as he keeps developing defensively as he has been, with that size, strength, skating and mean-streak he can be a very good top 4 guy for us who anchors our PK and lets one of Barrie or Elliott play their game. Just needs to keep growing as he has been and he'll be there in a few years.
The offense has nothing to do with what I saw. I saw a player that was indecisive and very passive. I never expected offense out of him.

bohlmeister is offline  
Old
12-02-2013, 07:38 PM
  #790
Nihiliste
Registered User
 
Nihiliste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,858
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
The offense has nothing to do with what I saw. I saw a player that was indecisive and very passive. I never expected offense out of him.
Agreed, my concerns have nothing to do with offense. That said, he's young and to be honest defenders of his style obviously don't peak until their late 20s. I'm not expecting any quick relief from him or Elliott though.

Nihiliste is offline  
Old
12-02-2013, 07:55 PM
  #791
kento19
@kento19
 
kento19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: St. John's
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
He'll replace Hejda eventually, and that's all I ever expected. Maybe a little meaner version, especially with Footer around to give him tips once he hits the big league club.
Hejda's been pretty damn mean himself this year. I feel like Footer has been giving him some tips

kento19 is online now  
Old
12-02-2013, 08:00 PM
  #792
Foppa Frossa
Registered User
 
Foppa Frossa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Country: Sweden
Posts: 4,582
vCash: 50
Where is RS anyways? I feel like I haven't seen him around in a while.

Foppa Frossa is offline  
Old
12-02-2013, 08:08 PM
  #793
cgf
Registered User
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 12,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
The offense has nothing to do with what I saw. I saw a player that was indecisive and very passive. I never expected offense out of him.
Fair enough, but I feel like a lot of people were disappointed when he didn't better the numbers he had put up with Elliott the next season and soured on him then. Even though since his struggles at the start of that season he's been steadily gotten smarter, more dependable and more confident again. At least from what I've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kento19 View Post
Hejda's been pretty damn mean himself this year. I feel like Footer has been giving him some tips
Even Barrie's thrown his forearm into a few dudes backs along the boards throw them off balance. I know the worries about nepotism, but I love having the oldies back around to give the new generation some of their wisdom and tricks. Gunna be a blast watching Siemens develop with Hejda and Footey here to teach him.

cgf is offline  
Old
12-02-2013, 08:17 PM
  #794
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 5,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa Frossa View Post
Where is RS anyways? I feel like I haven't seen him around in a while.
He's been too busy with his job plus he's getting married and doesn't have time for little old us anymore.

S E P H is offline  
Old
12-02-2013, 08:33 PM
  #795
Cullen Bohannon
Registered User
 
Cullen Bohannon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
plus he's getting married.
"What? What an idiot! What a loser! Good! Good! More for you and me."


Cullen Bohannon is offline  
Old
12-02-2013, 10:14 PM
  #796
Duchene2MacKinnon
Personality
 
Duchene2MacKinnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Agreed. I'll admit I haven't seen him play too much, just going off what I saw at the Memorial Cup and what I've read/heard but I'm a lot less excited than I was when we drafted him. Maybe my expectations were just too high but it doesn't seem like he has improved a whole lot in the last few years.

The physical tools are there but he seems to be severely lacking in hockey IQ and with consistency. He's only 20 though and not everyone can crack the NHL right away. Might just take him a few years to put it all together.
Never was excited about the pick TBH.


Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Not really.

This Canada team is freakin' small as hell, could work on the bigger ice surface, but I don't know if it will work against tougher defensive opponents like United States and Sweden.
Good maybe they'll finally win something worth.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline  
Old
12-03-2013, 12:59 AM
  #797
Av-merican
@Av_merican
 
Av-merican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: The Frozen Wasteland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chau Vo View Post
He's playing it safe because he's playing with Sharipzyanov.
Okay, that HAS to be a made-up name.

EDIT: Just looked it up. It's not.

Av-merican is offline  
Old
12-03-2013, 03:29 AM
  #798
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional
 
tigervixxxen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 16,360
vCash: 50
Article about Bigras

http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/201...-national-camp

tigervixxxen is online now  
Old
12-03-2013, 08:49 AM
  #799
Avs71
17
 
Avs71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post

Quote:
"Chris is going to play all kinds of roles for us. He's a very smart defenceman with a good two-way game. His versatility is important for us and hopefully it will fit in somewhere on this defensive unit."
Sounds like is he being considered beyond just a bubble player. When was the last time the Avs had a defensive prospect that's game evolved around high hockey IQ?

Avs71 is offline  
Old
12-03-2013, 12:32 PM
  #800
BrickAHL
WOATalanche
 
BrickAHL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,349
vCash: 500
I'm very excited to watch Bigras play. I didn't think he would be more than a fringe player but hearing this makes me actually look forward to the World Juniors for the first time in a while. Are any of our other prospects going to make their teams? Doesn't Butcher have a decent chance?

BrickAHL is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.