HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Colorado Avalanche Prospects Thread

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2013, 04:41 PM
Chau Vo
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
It's a little bit surprising considering Bigras hasn't put up great numbers with Owen Sound. But good that he is appreciated by people outside the Avs organization. Roy, Sakic were always going to give him every chance since he's their guy but Hockey Canada have no emotional investment.
He's playing it safe because he's playing with Sharipzyanov.

Old
12-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Very happy to see Bigras get the invite and I hope he makes the team.

Oilers fans are really freaking out over Nurse. Then again, some people here were freaking out last year when Siemens wasn't invited to the 40 man camp so I guess that's normal.

Old
12-02-2013, 05:30 PM
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Very happy to see Bigras get the invite and I hope he makes the team.

Oilers fans are really freaking out over Nurse. Then again, some people here were freaking out last year when Siemens wasn't invited to the 40 man camp so I guess that's normal.
I still think Siemens is going to disappoint a lot of people.

I think they said that Nurse plays too dangerous of a game, needs to keep it simple. Bigras is the perfect example of that. I really hope he makes the team. Can't wait to watch him.

Old
12-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
What is disappoint these days? I've resigned him to be a pretty good top 4 defender, if he were top pairing he'd be doing better in the AHL most likely.

Old
12-02-2013, 05:57 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
What is disappoint these days? I've resigned him to be a pretty good top 4 defender, if he were top pairing he'd be doing better in the AHL most likely.
He'll replace Hejda eventually, and that's all I ever expected. Maybe a little meaner version, especially with Footer around to give him tips once he hits the big league club.

Old
12-02-2013, 06:01 PM
Nihiliste

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
He'll replace Hejda eventually, and that's all I ever expected. Maybe a little meaner version, especially with Footer around to give him tips once he hits the big league club.
It will be many years before he's as good as Hejda is now, if he reaches that level.

Old
12-02-2013, 06:03 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
It will be many years before he's as good as Hejda is now, if he reaches that level.
I think he'll be close enough to do the job on the second pairing in 3.

Old
12-02-2013, 06:06 PM
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy

I'll just say that I will be pleasantly surprised if he turns out to be the player Hejda is. Avs have a great track record in drafting, but I just didn't see it when I watched Siemens live.

I really wish I could see some Erie games though, would be interested in seeing him at the professional level.

Old
12-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Agreed. I'll admit I haven't seen him play too much, just going off what I saw at the Memorial Cup and what I've read/heard but I'm a lot less excited than I was when we drafted him. Maybe my expectations were just too high but it doesn't seem like he has improved a whole lot in the last few years.

The physical tools are there but he seems to be severely lacking in hockey IQ and with consistency. He's only 20 though and not everyone can crack the NHL right away. Might just take him a few years to put it all together.

Old
12-02-2013, 06:18 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

If its any consolation, Lake Erie's defense has gone in the crapper with Siemens out.

Old
12-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Avs71

Didn't Renegade say something like he thinks Siemens will see his biggest improvement once he is in the NHL? That sounds too obvious, but I thought there was something to that affect, at least while Siemens was still in Saskatoon.

Probably need to watch quite a few games before you could see the impact he makes. If anyone drops in watches Hejda,even this season, they probably wouldn't think he's that great. But if you watch him night in and night out, you remember all the good defensive plays he makes, how he eats up PK minutes like no one else, and just gets his job done. Hopefully we will see something similar in Siemens.

Old
12-02-2013, 06:27 PM
henchman24
If and if...

In my very few viewings of Siemens this season, he has looked good for a rookie. He definitely has some learning to do, but he was playing in a top 4 shutdown role and holding his own. Still very raw though. One thing to remember with him is that he is never going to put up a bunch of points. You will never be able to base his play on his stat line. Hell, even at his high end I don't see him as a 20 point defensemen in the NHL.

Old
12-02-2013, 06:37 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
In my very few viewings of Siemens this season, he has looked good for a rookie. He definitely has some learning to do, but he was playing in a top 4 shutdown role and holding his own. Still very raw though. One thing to remember with him is that he is never going to put up a bunch of points. You will never be able to base his play on his stat line. Hell, even at his high end I don't see him as a 20 point defensemen in the NHL.
Which i fear is where a lot of the disappointment comes from. Siemens' hockey IQ hasn't been a problem at all from what I've seen of him as he uses his tools very effectively defensively. But he won't put up the numbers people think a 11th overall pick should be. I don't care about his numbers as long as he keeps developing defensively as he has been, with that size, strength, skating and mean-streak he can be a very good top 4 guy for us who anchors our PK and lets one of Barrie or Elliott play their game. Just needs to keep growing as he has been and he'll be there in a few years.

Old
12-02-2013, 06:43 PM
bohlmeister
Amazingly Randy

Quote:
Which i fear is where a lot of the disappointment comes from. Siemens' hockey IQ hasn't been a problem at all from what I've seen of him as he uses his tools very effectively defensively. But he won't put up the numbers people think a 11th overall pick should be. I don't care about his numbers as long as he keeps developing defensively as he has been, with that size, strength, skating and mean-streak he can be a very good top 4 guy for us who anchors our PK and lets one of Barrie or Elliott play their game. Just needs to keep growing as he has been and he'll be there in a few years.
The offense has nothing to do with what I saw. I saw a player that was indecisive and very passive. I never expected offense out of him.

Old
12-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Nihiliste

Quote:
The offense has nothing to do with what I saw. I saw a player that was indecisive and very passive. I never expected offense out of him.
Agreed, my concerns have nothing to do with offense. That said, he's young and to be honest defenders of his style obviously don't peak until their late 20s. I'm not expecting any quick relief from him or Elliott though.

Old
12-02-2013, 07:55 PM
kento19
@kento19

Quote:
Hejda's been pretty damn mean himself this year. I feel like Footer has been giving him some tips

Old
12-02-2013, 08:00 PM
Foppa Frossa

Where is RS anyways? I feel like I haven't seen him around in a while.

Old
12-02-2013, 08:08 PM
cgf

Quote:
Fair enough, but I feel like a lot of people were disappointed when he didn't better the numbers he had put up with Elliott the next season and soured on him then. Even though since his struggles at the start of that season he's been steadily gotten smarter, more dependable and more confident again. At least from what I've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kento19 View Post
Hejda's been pretty damn mean himself this year. I feel like Footer has been giving him some tips
Even Barrie's thrown his forearm into a few dudes backs along the boards throw them off balance. I know the worries about nepotism, but I love having the oldies back around to give the new generation some of their wisdom and tricks. Gunna be a blast watching Siemens develop with Hejda and Footey here to teach him.

Old
12-02-2013, 08:17 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa Frossa View Post
Where is RS anyways? I feel like I haven't seen him around in a while.
He's been too busy with his job plus he's getting married and doesn't have time for little old us anymore.

Old
12-02-2013, 08:33 PM
Cullen Bohannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
plus he's getting married.
"What? What an idiot! What a loser! Good! Good! More for you and me."

Old
12-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Agreed. I'll admit I haven't seen him play too much, just going off what I saw at the Memorial Cup and what I've read/heard but I'm a lot less excited than I was when we drafted him. Maybe my expectations were just too high but it doesn't seem like he has improved a whole lot in the last few years.

The physical tools are there but he seems to be severely lacking in hockey IQ and with consistency. He's only 20 though and not everyone can crack the NHL right away. Might just take him a few years to put it all together.
Never was excited about the pick TBH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Not really.

This Canada team is freakin' small as hell, could work on the bigger ice surface, but I don't know if it will work against tougher defensive opponents like United States and Sweden.
Good maybe they'll finally win something worth.

Old
12-03-2013, 12:59 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chau Vo View Post
He's playing it safe because he's playing with Sharipzyanov.
Okay, that HAS to be a made-up name.

EDIT: Just looked it up. It's not.

Old
12-03-2013, 03:29 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Article about Bigras

http://www.owensoundsuntimes.com/201...-national-camp

Old
12-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Avs71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigervixxen View Post

Quote:
"Chris is going to play all kinds of roles for us. He's a very smart defenceman with a good two-way game. His versatility is important for us and hopefully it will fit in somewhere on this defensive unit."
Sounds like is he being considered beyond just a bubble player. When was the last time the Avs had a defensive prospect that's game evolved around high hockey IQ?

Old
12-03-2013, 12:32 PM
BrickAHL
WOATalanche

I'm very excited to watch Bigras play. I didn't think he would be more than a fringe player but hearing this makes me actually look forward to the World Juniors for the first time in a while. Are any of our other prospects going to make their teams? Doesn't Butcher have a decent chance?

Closed Thread