Notices

Minnesota Pro Sports Thread #7

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

vCash: 500
For the record I'm not a huge Tubby hater and was on the fence about him being fired.

Buuuuuutt this team completely underachieved this year. They played when they wanted to and went from a top 10 team in the country to a bubble team. They went 8-10 in the Big Ten bringing Tubby's career Big Ten record to 46-62. That is simply not good enough. This team had the talent and Tubby had no excuses this year with nobody leaving/getting injured.

Which brings me to my next point, the guys who left. White, Cobbs, Iverson, Joseph etc. These guys didn't want to play for him and the guys who stayed didn't seem to respect him as a coach.

He also kept his completely incompetent son, Saul Smith on the staff. That alone should be a fireable offense.

Tubby left the program in better shape than it was in when he arrived and that I can appreciate but there were some glaring problems this year. If Teague doesn't have a plan to replace him then I think this is a mistake but he seems pretty confident with his plan.

Old
03-26-2013, 04:29 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Cross Shaka Smart off the list, he is reportedly signing an extension at VCU.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:20 PM
00xtremeninja
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 435
granted I came at the end of the Mason time, but it was enough for me to see the dude had to go. my freshman year, the Gophers looked great, until I saw them drop a good lead to Michigan. Then got stomped by a terrible Mighigan State team, although, I was in attendance the last time the Gophers won the Axe from Wisconsin on a last couple seconds field goal. how sad.

His bowl appearances are consistent with what we get now. Music City bowl two years in a row while I was there, hot damn, we're going places! Oh and the way that team let Texas Tech come back and beat them in the final bowl game of Mason's time here was great. He got players to play at a high level sure, but when they didn't perform it stuck out like a sore thumb.

Brewster, bwahahahahaha what a joke. Bringing in sod from the Rose Bowl is the only memorable thing he did with that team. Lots of smoke and mirriors.

Kill I am still undecided on. He is still working through a lot of the kids Brewster picked up, much like TR did with DR's picks. He has the fire to win and did nice things in previous coaching jobs.

I just want all of our teams to be competitive. The hockey program is for sure something to be proud of and I am, but on a national scale, nobody cares. I don't think it is too much to ask for our football program to be in the upper part of the Big10 and fight for a championship spot now and again.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:52 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00xtremeninja View Post
granted I came at the end of the Mason time, but it was enough for me to see the dude had to go. my freshman year, the Gophers looked great, until I saw them drop a good lead to Michigan. Then got stomped by a terrible Mighigan State team, although, I was in attendance the last time the Gophers won the Axe from Wisconsin on a last couple seconds field goal. how sad.

His bowl appearances are consistent with what we get now. Music City bowl two years in a row while I was there, hot damn, we're going places! Oh and the way that team let Texas Tech come back and beat them in the final bowl game of Mason's time here was great. He got players to play at a high level sure, but when they didn't perform it stuck out like a sore thumb.

Brewster, bwahahahahaha what a joke. Bringing in sod from the Rose Bowl is the only memorable thing he did with that team. Lots of smoke and mirriors.

Kill I am still undecided on. He is still working through a lot of the kids Brewster picked up, much like TR did with DR's picks. He has the fire to win and did nice things in previous coaching jobs.

I just want all of our teams to be competitive. The hockey program is for sure something to be proud of and I am, but on a national scale, nobody cares. I don't think it is too much to ask for our football program to be in the upper part of the Big10 and fight for a championship spot now and again.
Under Mason they were competitive, look at his record compared to those who have followed including Kill. What exactly were people expecting from Gopher football? Their bowl appearances are not on par with the Mason era, sorry. Mason had a winning record over his 10 years at the U, what has happened since his firing? The 10 years that Mason was at the U was the longest most competitive run the Gophers had in football in my lifetime. Yep you are right some leads were lost but guess what? They had leads, lol, how often do you see the Gophers with leads late in games against the likes of Michigan or Texas Tech?
He had a winning record and quite frankly i will take that over the crap i watched before Mason and since Mason.
It is Minnesota not Ohio St for crying out loud!

Seriously do you realize that before Mason the last Gopher football coach to have a winning record was Murray Warmath? Murray f'ing Warmath!!!

Mason should be inducted into the Gopher football hall of fame for what he accomplished.

And if you want to really get me going about Glen Mason remind that he was fired and replaced with something called a Tim Brewster!!! AAAARRRGGGHHHHHH

Old
03-27-2013, 02:27 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Just because Mason was a successful coach does not mean Tubby was successful, nor does it mean that any of Tubby's successors will be failures.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:35 PM
00xtremeninja
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
Under Mason they were competitive, look at his record compared to those who have followed including Kill. What exactly were people expecting from Gopher football? Their bowl appearances are not on par with the Mason era, sorry. Mason had a winning record over his 10 years at the U, what has happened since his firing? The 10 years that Mason was at the U was the longest most competitive run the Gophers had in football in my lifetime. Yep you are right some leads were lost but guess what? They had leads, lol, how often do you see the Gophers with leads late in games against the likes of Michigan or Texas Tech?
He had a winning record and quite frankly i will take that over the crap i watched before Mason and since Mason.

Seriously do you realize that before Mason the last Gopher football coach to have a winning record was Murray Warmath? Murray f'ing Warmath!!!

Mason should be inducted into the Gopher football hall of fame for what he accomplished.

And if you want to really get me going about Glen Mason remind that he was fired and replaced with something called a Tim Brewster!!! AAAARRRGGGHHHHHH
To me having a lead and losing it or not being able to establish a lead is pretty much a wash for me. Like I said, I came to school here at the closing years of Mason and wasn't overly impressed with a lot of things. Then again I thought the atmosphere at the Dome and even TCF sucks for football as I am from Wisconsin where yeah they had their shyt teams, but I grew up watching the Barry Alverez teams and how they were good to watch. That stadium is always packed and rocking. My first Gopher game I couldn't believe so so it was. Got better as they were more in the Big10 games, but whatever.

Are we Ohio St, absolutely not, and I know we will never have that draw to us simply on our name like the major football schools do, but there is a trend of top recruits going to the teir 2 schools. I mean hell, UNC has had some top 25 ranked football teams, Kentucky and Kansas too. Perennial basketball names, but not football. The ability to draw recruits in can be done, the U fails to do it. TCF helps but having a coach kids want to play for is the next step. Sadly I don't think Kill is quite that coach.

Old
03-27-2013, 03:51 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00xtremeninja View Post
To me having a lead and losing it or not being able to establish a lead is pretty much a wash for me. Like I said, I came to school here at the closing years of Mason and wasn't overly impressed with a lot of things. Then again I thought the atmosphere at the Dome and even TCF sucks for football as I am from Wisconsin where yeah they had their shyt teams, but I grew up watching the Barry Alverez teams and how they were good to watch. That stadium is always packed and rocking. My first Gopher game I couldn't believe so so it was. Got better as they were more in the Big10 games, but whatever.

Are we Ohio St, absolutely not, and I know we will never have that draw to us simply on our name like the major football schools do, but there is a trend of top recruits going to the teir 2 schools. I mean hell, UNC has had some top 25 ranked football teams, Kentucky and Kansas too. Perennial basketball names, but not football. The ability to draw recruits in can be done, the U fails to do it. TCF helps but having a coach kids want to play for is the next step. Sadly I don't think Kill is quite that coach.
I hear ya. I think alot of people just forgot where or what Gopher football really was and didn't appreciate what they had in Mason and i fear the same is going to happen with Tubby Smith as well. If the Gophers want to truly be a contender in the Big 12? or whatever the hell it is now, then they need to build the facilities to compete and not lay failure at the feet of a coach who is doing the best he can in a less then perfect situation. Unfortunately i think it takes a tremedous coach just to get where the Gopher football program was under Mason and the BB team under Smith and both of those guys are tremendous coaches imo.

Old
03-27-2013, 06:08 PM
Wild48
Ski U Mah

Quote:

The failures of brewster does not have ANY relevance to the mediocrity of Mason.

Glen Mason deserved to be fired. A team cannot suffer through mediocrity like that an have it be acceptable. The Gophers did the right thing in replacing a coach that was never going to do any better than the music city bowl.

Maturi ****ed up the end game by hiring Brewster, but I believe Maturi's best quote on the situation was something to the effect of "at least Brewster believed he could win a rose bowl, Mason was too accepting of the program's status"

I really hate that the Gophers have been so bad since Mason left, because it makes people wish they had kept a coach that would have done nothing for the program. I'd rather take a chance that Brewster or Kill can build this team to relevance, rather than expect 7-5 every year with a bowl loss from Mason.

I still wear my fire Mason shirt to this day.

Old
03-27-2013, 06:23 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild48 View Post
The failures of brewster does not have ANY relevance to the mediocrity of Mason.

Glen Mason deserved to be fired. A team cannot suffer through mediocrity like that an have it be acceptable. The Gophers did the right thing in replacing a coach that was never going to do any better than the music city bowl.

Maturi ****ed up the end game by hiring Brewster, but I believe Maturi's best quote on the situation was something to the effect of "at least Brewster believed he could win a rose bowl, Mason was too accepting of the program's status"

I really hate that the Gophers have been so bad since Mason left, because it makes people wish they had kept a coach that would have done nothing for the program. I'd rather take a chance that Brewster or Kill can build this team to relevance, rather than expect 7-5 every year with a bowl loss from Mason.

I still wear my fire Mason shirt to this day.
Did nothing for the program? The only coach with a winning record in the past 40+ years!!!!! Think about that while you say he should have been fired because they didn't go to the Rose Bowl

Old
03-27-2013, 06:41 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I find the less you care about Gopher sports, the better life is.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
03-27-2013, 06:47 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Phil Jackson got a Twitter.
This is his first (and only so far) tweet:

Quote:
11 champ;ipnsikp[ ringhs
https://twitter.com/PhilJackson11/st...31514011496449

I'm ****ing dying.

Old
03-27-2013, 07:11 PM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
Phil Jackson got a Twitter.
This is his first (and only so far) tweet:

https://twitter.com/PhilJackson11/st...31514011496449

I'm ****ing dying.
Maybe Phil would rather coach the Gophers than the lakers??

Old
03-30-2013, 04:27 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

And now Flip Saunders says "thanks, but no thanks"

Shaka Smart NOPE
Fred Hoiberg NOPE
Flip Saunders NOPE

Tubby Smith will have another job before the Gophers have another coach.

Old
03-30-2013, 04:38 PM
Karl

I recently won two Twins tickets vs the Brewers at a charity bowling tournament! Section 110 20 rows up behind the Twins dugout. Even though they will most likely be terrible this year I am still excited. Apparently it is in the Home Plate Box seating, but I cant find any information on the Home Plate Box seating. Anyone ever sat in that section? Any info you can give me?

Old
03-30-2013, 07:25 PM
elnewby
We got em'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
I recently won two Twins tickets vs the Brewers at a charity bowling tournament! Section 110 20 rows up behind the Twins dugout. Even though they will most likely be terrible this year I am still excited. Apparently it is in the Home Plate Box seating, but I cant find any information on the Home Plate Box seating. Anyone ever sat in that section? Any info you can give me?
Pretty sure, I've sat there before. If you are far enough back, you will be under the overhand from the upper level. Can be really nice if it's sunny/hot. All in all great seats though, it gives you the feel of being field level, and still don't break the bank(if you purchase).

Old
03-31-2013, 02:08 AM
Generic User
Generic Moderator

Quote:
And now Flip Saunders says "thanks, but no thanks"

Shaka Smart NOPE
Fred Hoiberg NOPE
Flip Saunders NOPE

Tubby Smith will have another job before the Gophers have another coach.
I think Flip is holding out for the Wolves upcoming GM opening. He and Glen Taylor are pretty close. I don't think he would've turned down the Gophers job if he had an inkling something would happen at the pro level. I'd think Gophers would be #2 on his list.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:07 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Thought Saunders would go for it, but still think it's a good idea to move on from mediocrity.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:19 AM
forthewild

Smith wasn't doing much for the Gophers and all the Lucia haters can go suck one, at least he's won and put forth a good product year in an out even if they play down to their competition a bunch....

Anyways I don't much care for Basketball but being an Alum I want to see my school do well even if I personally don't care if we shut the basketball program down and get another hockey team going...

Old
03-31-2013, 10:47 AM
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnewby View Post
Pretty sure, I've sat there before. If you are far enough back, you will be under the overhand from the upper level. Can be really nice if it's sunny/hot. All in all great seats though, it gives you the feel of being field level, and still don't break the bank(if you purchase).
Nice! Can't wait! Even though I barely know half of the roster....

Old
03-31-2013, 03:21 PM
Paul Bunyan
Mythical Lumberjack

In regards to Mason, had that not been the biggest bowl comeback in the history of college football, he would still have had a job the next season.

However, I look at Wisconsin (who never had a football program worth anything before Barry) and see how they are now going through the same thing we were at the U (but on a higher level) when Bielema left.

Mason had a level he'd get to, and couldn't get past it, alienated several key players that would have signed here otherwise with his personality, but also recruited some of the best in the game.

Yet, they could never get their act together to get over the tipping point of being nationally relevant.

Wisconsin's issue is that but just at a "can't win the Rose Bowl" level.

At the U, I'd love to have that problem, but they've made HORRIBLE hires.

Since this was mainly about basketball I'd say Tubby was a good hire, a name, someone that gave you national relevance and could bring in some recruits and really a coup for the school at the time.

They'd have to do that for football and didn't, though I do like Kill and think he was a good hire. Brewster? I just didn't get at the time and still think they had no clue what the hell they were doing.

Kill's health is the big issue going forward.

Old
03-31-2013, 09:45 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Houston currently leads the American League. Pretty sure that is ****ed up for more than one reason.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
03-31-2013, 11:09 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Michael Bay Mode GO!

vCash: 405
Oh right baseball season starts tomorrow for the Twins.

Oh well, there's always next year.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:21 AM
elnewby
We got em'!

So, just bought my ticket for the opener tomorrow. Starting the day at MOA, then to the game, then to Canterbury. Should be fun...and cold.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah we have home opener tickets...last year I bundled up and was still freezing. Today I'm going to wear about 50 layers. I want to be boiling in my seat.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:49 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Looks like Tubby got the Texas Tech job....

Closed Thread