Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Minnesota Pro Sports Thread #7

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2013, 05:30 AM
forthewild

vCash: 500
Some options on MLB that are left. I would love for us to find a way back into the 2nd round (Gerhart) to grab Kevin Minter i think he'll be a gamer.

some other guys

Quote:
Jonathan Bostic, ILB, Florida
Height: 6-1. Weight: 245. Arm: 33.08.
40 Time: 4.61.
Projected Round (2012): 2-3.
4/24/13: Bostic had 68 tackles, two interceptions, one forced fumble and three sacks in 2012. He flashed some for the Gators and was a core player in their tough defense. Bostic was much improved over his junior season. He performed well at the Combine and helped himself.

Scouts told WalterFootball.com that they feel Bostic will go on the second day of the 2013 NFl Draft - likely in the third round.

8/31/12: Bostic had 94 tackles with 10 tackles for a loss, three sacks and a forced fumble in 2011. He has played well for the Gators, but should stay in school to get better before going pro.
Quote:
Kiko Alonso, ILB, Oregon
Height: 6-3. Weight: 238. Arm: 32.18.
Projected 40 Time: 4.70.
Projected Round (2012): 2-4.
4/24/13: There are mixed grades on Alonso because due to off-the-field issues. He had a few arrests during his collegiate career.

Alonso put together an impressive senior season that he definitely needed after getting trouble with the law. Alonso recorded 81 tackles, 14 tackles for a loss, four interceptions, one sack, two passes broken up and two forced fumbles. Alonso finished 2011 with 46 tackles, two interceptions and two sacks. He didn't play in his previous three seasons at Oregon. Alonso was unable to work out at the Combine.

Alonso could go in the middle of the second day if he has convinced a team to look past his past problems.
Quote:
Arthur Brown, OLB, Kansas State
Height: 6-0. Weight: 241. Arm: 32 1/4. Hand: 9 7/8.
Projected 40 Time: 4.68.
Projected Round (2013): 1-2.
4/24/13: Brown's stock climbed over the final months, and some think he could go in the back half of the first round. He has interviewed well with teams and that has helped him.

Brown had 100 tackles, seven tackles for a loss, two interceptions, four passes broken up and a sack in 2012. He was excellent for Kansas State and was a team leader. Brown has drawn comparisons to Lavonte David, but Brown is a poor-man's version; David was far more productive and is a lot faster. Brown has the reputation of being totally devoted to football with the drive to be great. He was unable to work out at the Combine.

I think this team has a plan to address the LB position we'll just have to wait and see.

Old
04-26-2013, 05:31 AM
forthewild

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...e-jets-misstep

Quote:
1) Vikings dominate another draft

I thought Sharrif Floyd was the best defensive tackle in the draft. I wouldn't have batted an eye if he had been picked third overall. He slipped to No. 23, and Minnesota Vikings general manager Rick Spielman pounced on someone I could have seen him trading up to pick. What a genuine steal. I also loved the needed selection of physical corner Xavier Rhodes with the pick that was acquired from the Seattle Seahawks in the Percy Harvin deal (No. 25). Then, to replace Harvin, Spielman traded with the New England Patriots to get back into the first round at No. 29 and nab Cordarrelle Patterson. Though he's not polished as a receiver, Patterson will instantly help on special teams.

Yet again, Spielman got the job done on draft day. This was an A+ draft.
Quote:
thought Manti Te'o would go in the first round to the Chicago Bears, Minnesota Vikings or Baltimore Ravens. And then the Vikings passed on him -- three times! The girlfriend was fake, but the pain is real.

Old
04-26-2013, 05:33 AM
Sharppi
Nothing to see here

vCash: 827
I am going to catch some Vikings games next season. My NFL experience is just a couple superbowls but at least I know some of the rules

Old
04-26-2013, 06:20 AM
Up7Yours

vCash: 50
I love how the draft turned out. Love it love it. Not concerned about the linebacker situation, Spielman will handle it.

Old
04-26-2013, 07:01 AM
Mansfield
possession obsession

interesting draft. not sold on trading so many picks for the wr but time will tell. at least they got one. I wish we'd kept winfield though, maybe then we could have skipped taking a corner so high and taken a wr with that pick instead....

Old
04-26-2013, 10:15 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Kahn out, Flip in as Wolves' GM.

For old time's sake:

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNN NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
04-26-2013, 10:27 AM
elnewby
We got em'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Kahn out, Flip in as Wolves' GM.

For old time's sake:

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHNNNN NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!
Finally.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:29 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Thought that was a pretty solid draft. Shored up two positions of need with guys who were generally rated above their draft position and should be starters. Patterson is a pretty intriguing prospect in the Percy Harvin mold.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:37 AM
elnewby
We got em'!

I thought last night was very good. Besides the fact that we gave up a ton to move up. The Dolphins gave up 12 and 42 to go to 3! And we gave a boatload to NE for 29. All in all I really like the players we got. Floyd is going to be great next to Williams. He was projected a top 5 pick the last few weeks. Rhodes will be a good corner, big, physical and can tackle. If Cook can be healthy our CB's should be much better than last year. And Patterson, well, the guy is a freak athlete; while still raw at WR he has the potential to be very good. He reminds me of Julio Jones. Plus he can return kicks.

Here's to hoping we get back into the 2nd tonight to get a LB. If not, I'm sure Spielman and co. have a plan.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:52 AM
Dr Jan Itor

The move probably doesn't follow in line with a lot of the "value charts" as far as trade ups go, but the way I see it, I would do a 2nd+4th+7th for a 1st every time, not to mention the fact that we had multiple 4's and 7's. So does the inclusion of a 3rd rounder make that much of a difference to turn it into a bad deal? I don't quite think so. That being said, I have some doubts about the player that we chose, but I'm not going to say I'm an expert on Tennessee football, so I'll wait and see.

Another thing I heard this morning, is the extra year on the 1st rounder's contracts, so Patterson's contract is up in 5 years, rather than 4 if we would've waited until the 2nd round.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:48 AM
Nino Noderreiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
The move probably doesn't follow in line with a lot of the "value charts" as far as trade ups go, but the way I see it, I would do a 2nd+4th+7th for a 1st every time, not to mention the fact that we had multiple 4's and 7's. So does the inclusion of a 3rd rounder make that much of a difference to turn it into a bad deal? I don't quite think so. That being said, I have some doubts about the player that we chose, but I'm not going to say I'm an expert on Tennessee football, so I'll wait and see.

Another thing I heard this morning, is the extra year on the 1st rounder's contracts, so Patterson's contract is up in 5 years, rather than 4 if we would've waited until the 2nd round.
Even on the value chart it's not that bad. I think we have up 168 points will getting 160 points worth of picks

Old
04-26-2013, 12:28 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post

According to a value chart i could find this is the breakdown

29=640

thats what we got, we gave up

52=380
83=175
102=92
229= wasn't on chart but lowest was 2pts so we'll just say 2 pts

the total is 649 on a value of 640. So according to this chart we just overpaid a smigin to do this. Again grain of salt with this, the chart was on here

Another

has the same valuations.

If you use that chart tho, Dophins tore the Raiders a new one

Italic is the change, I dont want to imply Vikings got fleeced as I initially though but we did give up a slight amount more of value which in reality is nothing because we got the guy we wanted.

Last edited by forthewild: 04-26-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old
04-26-2013, 12:31 PM
forthewild

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/P..._1_again042613

Per this article Vikings had one guy ranked as Tier 1 (assuming a can't miss guy who you know will be a gamer*, *in most cases its true)

so the 3 guys we took we all had pegged as Tier 2, interesting to note that Vikings said they would only trade back into 1 for Patterson meaning they didn't have T'eo as tier 2 which is a breath of relief.

The only thing that makes me sad is we won't be getting the Honey Badger, I think that kid would be a gamer and would be an amazing addition to our team.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
According to a value chart i could find this is the breakdown

29=640

thats what we got, we gave up

52=380
83=175
102=92
229= wasn't on chart but lowest was 2pts so we'll just say 2 pts

the total is 649 on a value of 640. So according to this chart we just overpaid to do this. Again grain of salt with this, the chart was on here

Another

has the same valuations.

If you use that chart tho, Dophins tore the Raiders a new one
How did they come up with that scale? I don't really see 9 points on an arbitrary scale as evidence of an overpayment...

Old
04-26-2013, 12:39 PM
Nino Noderreiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
How did they come up with that scale? I don't really see 9 points on an arbitrary scale as evidence of an overpayment...
Yeah that scale shows that we didnt overpay really

Old
04-26-2013, 12:43 PM
forthewild

Quote:

Sorry don't mean that is a massive over payment just a slight one but in terms of getting the guy you want its nothing much.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:50 PM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

Quote:
The only thing that makes me sad is we won't be getting the Honey Badger, I think that kid would be a gamer and would be an amazing addition to our team.
Jon Gruden? Is that you?

Old
04-26-2013, 01:09 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
Jon Gruden? Is that you?
Unfortunately not I work on a sinking ship and don't have a badass ESPN gig.

But no i think a lot of people are writing him off, and he is one of those high risk but astronomical reward guys.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:09 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:

Want nothing to do with the kid. Terrible person. Instead of going the JUCO route and keeping fresh, he partied, got into more trouble and then at the end realized how much money it cost him. If he had gone to collage, cleaned up and stayed out of trouble, sure take a flyer. But he's no better than Pac-Man. If he goes to the right team like Seattle or San Fran maybe.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:52 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
Want nothing to do with the kid. Terrible person. Instead of going the JUCO route and keeping fresh, he partied, got into more trouble and then at the end realized how much money it cost him. If he had gone to collage, cleaned up and stayed out of trouble, sure take a flyer. But he's no better than Pac-Man. If he goes to the right team like Seattle or San Fran maybe.
Mathieu smoked pot, hardly worthy of being compared to Pac Man who was involved in a shooting and beat women.

Honestly in comparison to what far too many players including current Vikings have been convicted of Mathieu is a freaking saint.

Old
04-26-2013, 03:37 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
Mathieu smoked pot, hardly worthy of being compared to Pac Man who was involved in a shooting and beat women.

Honestly in comparison to what far too many players including current Vikings have been convicted of Mathieu is a freaking saint.
Not to mention he failed 10+ drug tests and LSU staff did nothing to try and help him, he is going in the 2nd and its a shame we won't get him. From the sounds of it he is turning it around lately and he is a phenomenal talent and would be huge for his game breaking ability

Old
04-26-2013, 03:38 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
It is completely arbitary and assigns point values to a pick which in this case really does not come into play because the Vikings knew who they were picking. So really the Vikings knowingly traded those picks for Patterson and not just some arbitrary number.

Now with that in mind I ask this question, what did the Vikings recieve for Harvin? Keep that in mind while watching Patterson especially since Spielman made the really not well thought out comment about Patterson being able to do more than Harvin, really unfortunate to put that on the kids shoulders with the GMs first press conference.

Old
04-26-2013, 04:01 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
It is completely arbitary and assigns point values to a pick which in this case really does not come into play because the Vikings knew who they were picking. So really the Vikings knowingly traded those picks for Patterson and not just some arbitrary number.

Now with that in mind I ask this question, what did the Vikings recieve for Harvin? Keep that in mind while watching Patterson especially since Spielman made the really not well thought out comment about Patterson being able to do more than Harvin, really unfortunate to put that on the kids shoulders with the GMs first press conference.
To be fair Spielman said that he can do just as much and more on kickoff returns which is still outlandish but not that bad. He has speed and talent now its about molding that into a lethal and versatile threat

Old
04-26-2013, 04:22 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

I don't know who is advising Teo but he looks like a real ass right now by shutting himself off from the whole world including a Hawaii newspaper because the family didn't approve of their coverage of the Alabama game.

Face up to it and get it behind you kid, you are doing more harm than good right now.

Old
04-26-2013, 04:48 PM
Kaptain
WarBortles

Quote:
Not to mention he failed 10+ drug tests and LSU staff did nothing to try and help him, he is going in the 2nd and its a shame we won't get him. From the sounds of it he is turning it around lately and he is a phenomenal talent and would be huge for his game breaking ability
Matheiu is a prospect known for only his name. His game doesn't translate to the nfl.
And I don't particularly care if he smokes weed, the troubling thing is that he kept doing it when he knew it'd screw him in the end. That's stupid behavior. Someone will reach on him in the 2nd, but in reality, he was a 4th round prospect all along.

Closed Thread