Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2013, 08:26 PM
651*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Fliiiiiiiiiiiiiip.

Flip is the man and always has been the man. Bring us the championship, Flip. There is a nucleus there, albeit small, but it's there (think Love, Pek, Rubio).

Old
05-03-2013, 12:27 PM
Averman
Ya, Yeo Betcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
"You Realize How Badly the T-Wolves screwed up the 2009 Draft, Right?"

I'm always amazed by how many people either forgot about this or give Kahn a pass because he drafted Rubio. Especially when Rubio was the #2 prospect in the draft and just fell into his lap.
Nobody forgot about it, at least not those who follow the NBA. Those who choose to give Kahn a pass typically do so because he was about a month into the job, working with a hand-me-down scouting department, and didn't have a coach with a system in place at the time of the draft (I'm not one of them, I'm a big follower of the NBA draft and it's prospects, so his butchery of that lost my support. I actually thought the 2010 draft was a worse performance by Kahn and almost decided to seek a new NBA team I was so disappointed).

Rubio didn't just fall to Kahn. The reason the Wolves were in position to crush that draft was because he acquired the #5 pick (the one that netted Rubio) for Randy Foye, Mike Miller (both pending free agents) and spare change.

Kahn deserved to be ousted, and I wouldn't have been upset if it had happened sooner (although he probably does get a tad too much **** from writers/bloggers/forum members). He was only allowed to actually spend money one offseason, and he put together a really promising roster that was decimated by injuries, but you can't generate the kind of ill will/laughingstock status with awful drafting that he has and keep your job if the results aren't there.

The sad thing for Timberwolves fans is that the driving force behind the Rubio trade from Washington's side that gave away Rubio for a couple mediocre one year rentals also happens to be the guy who just replaced Kahn(Flip had spent his year off in Minnesota watching Foye/Miller on the Wolves and targeted them as two guys that were a good fit for his style of play).

Old
05-03-2013, 12:35 PM
Averman
Ya, Yeo Betcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
How that joker lasted as long as he did, I'll never know.

Just goes to show, being cheap can cost you more money than just doing things the right way.
He lasted as long as he did because a big part of his job description was to cut/keep down costs so Taylor would have an easier time selling the team. I'm not sure it's a coincidence that a day or two before Kahn was officially let go (and a couple weeks after speculation began) Taylor announced there would be major news coming on the ownership front, possibly to a Flip fronted group.

Old
05-03-2013, 12:49 PM
tomgilbertfan
#WhyBother

Quote:
According to sources, Wolves owner Glen Taylor has decided to take the team off the market and will not sell it.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Windhorst...12027316084736

Old
05-03-2013, 12:54 PM
tyratoku

Quote:
Even in install you can see the explosion with Patterson. He's such a smooth mover too.
Quote:
First one on one against Xavier Rhodes and he intercepts it. It's a start.
Also, someone talked to Webb earlier this week and there was a quote with them possibly moving Webb to Wide Receiver. How does everyone feel about that?

Old
05-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Webb's going to get cut. If he had hands and could run routes, he'd be at WR.

Old
05-03-2013, 01:11 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
"You Realize How Badly the T-Wolves screwed up the 2009 Draft, Right?"

I'm always amazed by how many people either forgot about this or give Kahn a pass because he drafted Rubio. Especially when Rubio was the #2 prospect in the draft and just fell into his lap.
This makes Riser look like a ****ing genius. Did the NBA ever complain that they can't keep up with the trades?

Its like as soon as the Wolves draft a good guy they make 15 trades to downgrade a pick....

wow.

Old
05-03-2013, 02:15 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
Let em go.

Old
05-03-2013, 02:34 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
This makes Riser look like a ****ing genius. Did the NBA ever complain that they can't keep up with the trades?

Its like as soon as the Wolves draft a good guy they make 15 trades to downgrade a pick....

wow.
Riser had his 2004 Draft where 13 picks amounted to 0 NHL games played 5 years down the line. That includes completely whiffing on 2 of the top 42 picks. It got a little better down the line - Stoner's a 3rd rounder, Ryan Jones almost led Miami to a title while being part of the Zidlicky trade and Khudobin (a 7th rounder) might be the best of them - but it was an abysmal draft job.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
05-03-2013, 05:51 PM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
Let em go.
Why would you want that?

Taylor is Minnesota born and has said he would not sell to new owners if they wanted to move the franchise. The fact Taylor decided to keep the team is great news.

I also don't think he's been the cheapest owner ever and he at least seems like a good guy.

The best thing we could hope for IMO is for a fellow native own the team with ties to our community and a love of the state. 2 cents. Maybe I'm wrong?

Old
05-03-2013, 06:00 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Taylor should be credited for saving the franchise from moving to New Orleans but that was 20 years ago. In that time, the T-Wolves have been one of the worst-ran franchises. They haven't made the playoffs in 9 seasons. Kahn was a disaster and alienated the only two things the team has going for them.

Taylor is loyal, almost to a fault. It's good for keeping the team. However, he was trying to sell it for 2-3 years and no one wanted it. Hell, Saunders basically bought into a company to get a job - how often does that happen in sports? That doesn't speak well for the health of the franchise.

Old
05-03-2013, 06:23 PM
Avder
Animated to Explode

vCash: 64
Honestly I would not really care if the Timberwolves moved. Besides, then when another franchise came to town, it would probably be better managed and not a complete joke. Maybe then I could try to give a darn about basketball for the first time since high school.

Old
05-03-2013, 07:10 PM
tyratoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Honestly I would not really care if the Timberwolves moved. Besides, then when another franchise came to town, it would probably be better managed and not a complete joke. Maybe then I could try to give a darn about basketball for the first time since high school.
It would be another North Stars fiasco.

"We want the Timberwolves back! The Minnesota Potholes is a terrible name! Timberwolves is aaawwwwwesome!"

Old
05-03-2013, 07:18 PM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

If the Timberwolves moving was anwhere near the radar they would have been mentioned here in Seattle, I have not heard them mentioned at all, the Bucks however have started to come more often as a rumored team to move.

Old
05-03-2013, 07:21 PM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
We've heard it all before. I have to admit I use to think the same way about 10 years ago, but...

The fact is the TC and TCites should count ourselves blessed to be one of only a dozen metros in the United States with all four major pro sports franchises. I think that's pretty damn cool and only speaks to how incredible and world class the TC is.

I'm going to reiterate this. Want to take a team, I say take the Qu...Vikings as they have diddly in 52 years, and quite frankly a NFL team has eight home games a year - eight home games a year - for a minimum price point of (I think) $65.00 - are you friggin' kidding me? I can never go see that team live and enjoy the festivities and get out on the town. That's crap. Plus they're on Sunday mostly anyway, which is another crapper for me.

Add into the fact that when you watch a football game it has more stops and starts than a USPS truck on Monday and half the grown arse men in the crowd are dressed in makeup and I say eff 'em. Course I would never want them to leave, ever, but.

Anyway, that's the way I see it.

Old
05-03-2013, 07:25 PM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
If the Timberwolves moving was anwhere near the radar they would have been mentioned here in Seattle, I have not heard them mentioned at all, the Bucks however have started to come more often as a rumored team to move.
Ever been to Milwaukee? I'd much rather travel to Winnipeg again or even Green Bay before going back to that town. That was in '02 so maybe it's gotten better or maybe I'm just too used to everything in the Twin Cities being so much better but, it's no wonder to me at all though I guess a bit surprising since the town only has two major teams (Brewers, Bucs).

Old
05-03-2013, 09:29 PM
Avder
Animated to Explode

If any team was to take the T-Wolves away, I'd want it to be Seattle. That whole Sonics thing just reeked. They were robbed just like we were robbed when the North Stars were stolen away.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:15 AM
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
Ever been to Milwaukee? I'd much rather travel to Winnipeg again or even Green Bay before going back to that town. That was in '02 so maybe it's gotten better or maybe I'm just too used to everything in the Twin Cities being so much better but, it's no wonder to me at all though I guess a bit surprising since the town only has two major teams (Brewers, Bucs).
Many times. Packers games and Summe Fest.

There isn't better time to be had then Summer Fest.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:18 AM
Avder
Animated to Explode

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post

"We want the Timberwolves back! The Minnesota Potholes is a terrible name! Timberwolves is aaawwwwwesome!"

I kind of think there wouldn't be anywhere near the same level of passion as there was when the North Stars were taken away, or the kind of passion we would see if the Twins were threatning to go away, or all the fan lobbying passion at the capitol when the Vikings were in stadium-or-move mode. The threat was unspoken, but everyone knew it was there.

Old
05-04-2013, 12:35 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post

Hasn't that already happened with the Lakers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
We've heard it all before. I have to admit I use to think the same way about 10 years ago, but...

The fact is the TC and TCites should count ourselves blessed to be one of only a dozen metros in the United States with all four major pro sports franchises. I think that's pretty damn cool and only speaks to how incredible and world class the TC is.

I'm going to reiterate this. Want to take a team, I say take the Qu...Vikings as they have diddly in 52 years, and quite frankly a NFL team has eight home games a year - eight home games a year - for a minimum price point of (I think) $65.00 - are you friggin' kidding me? I can never go see that team live and enjoy the festivities and get out on the town. That's crap. Plus they're on Sunday mostly anyway, which is another crapper for me.

Add into the fact that when you watch a football game it has more stops and starts than a USPS truck on Monday and half the grown arse men in the crowd are dressed in makeup and I say eff 'em. Course I would never want them to leave, ever, but.

Anyway, that's the way I see it.
Not happening. The NFL runs sports.

Old
05-04-2013, 01:43 AM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
Many times. Packers games and Summe Fest.

There isn't better time to be had then Summer Fest.
Still not nearly enough reason to want to go there, or even live there. Seriously, would you want to live there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Hasn't that already happened with the Lakers?

Not happening. The NFL runs sports.
It's going away, seriously. This lawsuit and all the concussions and injuries and all the former and current athletes saying they would never let their kid play is the writing on the wall.

It's big talk on the major sports networks right now about how in a few decades it will be flag football. Why do I want to watch football? Because I want to see a guy get freakin' clipped and do a crappie flop on the field; I want to see a guy get straight bulldozed into turf at 30mph.

Don't take my word for it, take other NFLers on it:

Quote:
In an interview Friday on SportsRadio 610 in Houston, Pollard said, "in another 20 or 30 years, I dont even think football will be in existence anymore." Pollard, 27, is entering his seventh NFL season. When asked if he would allow his son to play, echoed Kurt Warner's recent comments.

"I know what my body has been through," Pollard said. "Im 27 years old. I take care of myself, but its a violent sport. I dont want him to have go through it. I dont want to see my son with a concussion."

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...in-20-30-years

So yeah, the NFL days may be numbered and since I'm 30, I might see football actually turn into (European) football in my life.

Old
05-04-2013, 03:31 AM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

NFL no longer existing in 20-30 yrs? Okay Pollard, maybe one too many concussions for you buddy. Why would we take a quote from a football player as evidence the league won't exist in a few years anyway?

Unless it gets outlawed or something crazy I don't understand how that could happen given the demand for the sport. People want it and are willing to pay billions to make that entertainment a reality so that leads to the athletes and owners willing to get in and supply this entertainment, its not going to stop. Basic economics.

A possible solution to lessen injuries would be to decrease the padding players wear. You are not going to throw yourself around like an invincible human wrecking ball if you are without a helmet and shoulder pads. Players would be forced to play smarter/safer in their own self interest, resulting in everyone enjoying a safer game. I see it evolving to a game more like Rugby style hitting and tackling. No longer would players be diving and running into people with their helmets making reckless hits. Wrapping a player up and slamming them into the ground is how you are supposed to tackle haha.

Last edited by Randy BoBandy: 05-04-2013 at 03:47 AM.
Old
05-04-2013, 09:24 AM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy BoBandy View Post
NFL no longer existing in 20-30 yrs? Okay Pollard, maybe one too many concussions for you buddy. Why would we take a quote from a football player as evidence the league won't exist in a few years anyway?

Unless it gets outlawed or something crazy I don't understand how that could happen given the demand for the sport. People want it and are willing to pay billions to make that entertainment a reality so that leads to the athletes and owners willing to get in and supply this entertainment, its not going to stop. Basic economics.

A possible solution to lessen injuries would be to decrease the padding players wear. You are not going to throw yourself around like an invincible human wrecking ball if you are without a helmet and shoulder pads. Players would be forced to play smarter/safer in their own self interest, resulting in everyone enjoying a safer game. I see it evolving to a game more like Rugby style hitting and tackling. No longer would players be diving and running into people with their helmets making reckless hits. Wrapping a player up and slamming them into the ground is how you are supposed to tackle haha.
There are plenty of other active and former NFLers who share his sentiments.

It's always been a rough sport and it's getting rougher with bigger (PED roided?) players so there is a least a possibility that it will be an entirely different game in a couple decades.

And lol at your "less" equipment statement; they aren't trying to make less, they're trying to make more atm and tougher/safer equipment like better helmets.

Plus never underestimate Goodell to start getting pinkish like Shanahan in the NHL - there have been a number of completely fair hits in the NFL last few years that saw unwarranted fines/suspensions.

Old
05-04-2013, 11:08 AM
brainfreeze

Just imagine Troy Polamalu on a soccer field.

Old
05-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Problem with letting a team walk is it takes exponentially more money to bring in a new one when they decide to do that.

Closed Thread