Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 05:02 AM
Pajicz

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Blaine Gabbert? Brandon Weeden? Jake Locker? Whoever Buffalo's or Oakland's QB ends up being?
...add Arizona to that list.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:40 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Nick Foles has to be in that discussion too.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:05 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Blaine Gabbert? Brandon Weeden? Jake Locker? Whoever Buffalo's or Oakland's QB ends up being?
Weeden and Locker I would take no questions asked over Ponder. Gabbert sucks but I'd take Henne over Ponder as well...

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
03-15-2013, 08:34 AM
Dee Oh Cee

^Wow.

You really do have some kind of personal vendetta against Ponder it seems. (I know you don't but really?) Cassel is awful...and Ponder is nowhere near the worst QB in the league. I know it's not going to be beneficial to argue this point but geez.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:59 AM
tyratoku

More on Percy:
Quote:
Finally seeing Percy Harvin's full contract details. It's really a 5-year, $64.5M extension with $25.5M fully guaranteed. He got his wish.
Quote:
And #Seahawks have some flexibility if it doesn't work out. The $25.5M gt'd all in the first 2 years. After that, it's pay as you go.
Quote:
Appears Harvin's gt'd base salary for 2014 kicks in after Super Bowl, but that's a formality. Else they gave up 3 picks, $14.5M for 1 year.

Last edited by tyratoku: 03-15-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old
03-15-2013, 09:03 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

What has Ponder shown that makes anyone think he's not among the worst in the league? The only thing that he's shown is that he's simply not capable of making most throws asked of NFL QBs. Not to mention his footwork is dreadful and he still can't properly go through progressions. QBs with those qualities don't last long in this league.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:03 AM
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
What has Ponder shown that makes anyone think he's not among the worst in the league? The only thing that he's shown is that he's simply not capable of making most throws asked of NFL QBs. Not to mention his footwork is dreadful and he still can't properly go through progressions. QBs with those qualities don't last long in this league.
Exactly, what has he really done? He isn't improving and learning from his mistakes he has pretty much hit his peak imo which is a backup at best. Cassel will be our starter in 4 games or less next year mark my words.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:05 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

What does it matter? There's no starting QB's available that are a significant upgrade and there aren't any stud QB's available in the draft.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:27 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

In short, here's my issue with how the whole Ponder thing played out:

• Thought he was a horrendous prospect coming into the NFL draft.
• Believed that if the Vikings forced the issue and used their #12 on a QB just because they had no one they could call their "franchise" guy, they'd be setting themselves back 4-5 years. Minimum.
• They draft Ponder and in process passed on 3 of my favorite prospects in the draft at the time; Quinn, Amukamara, and Fairley (all have played out on different levels).
• Ponder's mere presence cost the team one of their best players, one of their most exciting players all-time, and personally one of my favorite players I ever watched.

To say I've got an issue with watching this guy attempt to throw passes on my favorite football team is an understatement. And those above issues with him top to bottom can be well documented on another forum.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:35 AM
Piffles

Quote:
Ponder's mere presence cost the team one of their best players, one of their most exciting players all-time, and personally one of my favorite players I ever watched.
Percy? You really think the Vikings wanted to sign him for what he thought he was worth? The guy was a locker room cancer and has had injury issues. His problems with his ego shouldn't be blamed on Ponder.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:37 AM
tomgilbertfan
#WhyBother

I'm pretty glad we didn't give percy that 12.9 mil a year extension.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:40 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piffles View Post
Percy? You really think the Vikings wanted to sign him for what he thought he was worth? The guy was a locker room cancer and has had injury issues. His problems with his ego shouldn't be blamed on Ponder.
His problems within this team stemmed from the QB. He may have found his way into other issues in other circumstances anyway but Ponder was his main gripe in that organization and why it ended the way it did.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:46 AM
Piffles

He clashed with Childress as well, so clearly Ponder was the cause of all his problems.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:48 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah, but the Vikes went down that road and now it's making the best of a bad situation. The bridge was already burned with Harvin and there's no clearcut improvement over Ponder available in FA or trade or the draft, near as I can tell.

Look, there's no way they could have resolved the Harvin issue. If they cut Ponder, would Harvin be happy with Webb and MBT? Hell no. Or have the Vikes reach for a QB late in the first and wait another couple seasons? Hell no. He realized, like Gaborik did years ago, the future is not that bright, and he's not getting any younger, and wanted out. There's no Favre to swoop in and throw to him.

I don't buy that any move they make is a lost move because Ponder's on the team. Adding Jennings and Cassel aren't going to make the team worse. Bringing in a legitimate NFL receiver is a good thing. And a legitimate backup quarterback who can step in if/when Ponder is playing terrible.

The Rosenfels/Webb thing last year was mind boggling. Webb was terrible in practice, in preseason, and so bad he wouldn't come in while Ponder was throwing a handful of completions in a half. And the playoff game debacle.

Adding Cassel is good. He wants the starting job, and will push Ponder. He's going to have to outplay him though. If he doesn't, then no harm done in signing him. If Ponder sucks, we have at least a decent backup who has had a couple successful seasons as a starter, and would be at least an option.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:58 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piffles View Post
He clashed with Childress as well, so clearly Ponder was the cause of all his problems.
Apparently everyone clashed with Childress...

Old
03-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Interesting blog about how the Vikings could scheme more running plays

Old
03-15-2013, 11:04 AM
tomgilbertfan
#WhyBother

Why that graph's X axis is flipped I'll never understand.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:07 AM
forthewild

Quote:
In short, here's my issue with how the whole Ponder thing played out:

Thought he was a horrendous prospect coming into the NFL draft.
Believed that if the Vikings forced the issue and used their #12 on a QB just because they had no one they could call their "franchise" guy, they'd be setting themselves back 4-5 years. Minimum.
They draft Ponder and in process passed on 3 of my favorite prospects in the draft at the time; Quinn, Amukamara, and Fairley (all have played out on different levels).
Ponder's mere presence cost the team one of their best players, one of their most exciting players all-time, and personally one of my favorite players I ever watched.

To say I've got an issue with watching this guy attempt to throw passes on my favorite football team is an understatement. And those above issues with him top to bottom can be well documented on another forum.
Dont forget they passed on Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick

Old
03-15-2013, 11:14 AM
Generic User
How's your burger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajicz View Post
...add Arizona to that list.
I knew I was forgetting a team.

Quote:
Apparently everyone clashed with Childress...
Hell, even I've thrown a dumbbell at Childress. Who hasn't, really?

Old
03-15-2013, 11:16 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
Dont forget they passed on Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick
Eh. I'd let those slide. Dalton never really got the late push Ponder received (though that certainly could be mostly the Vikings doing) and Kaepernick was always seen as a very raw toolsy guy. Harbaugh is just getting a ton out of him so far.

The better move at that time, one that I was trumpeting a lot back then, was to build up the other areas of the team so that it would be better suited for a new rookie QB to come into. A lot of it had to do with the QBs that were coming out that next year, though. Sometimes that line of thinking doesn't exactly work out, but everyone knew at that time that Luck and RGIII were immense talents.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

See that's what I think they're doing this year. Build everything up for another QB to come in. How they get that QB, I don't know.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:24 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
See that's what I think they're doing this year. Build everything up for another QB to come in. How they get that QB, I don't know.

its time....

he does have more playoff wins in Denver then the great Payton Manning

Old
03-15-2013, 11:25 AM
forthewild

I'm going to go ahead and say it, i think ponder has it in him to take a step forward and be a better QB and one that this team needs. This year will be pretty telling for him and his development tho.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:06 PM
Uberdachen
Posts Last 5 Minutes

Quote:
I'm going to go ahead and say it, i think ponder has it in him to take a step forward and be a better QB and one that this team needs. This year will be pretty telling for him and his development tho.
I think he has it in him to throw less, too.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:16 PM
Generic User
How's your burger?

Quote:

its time....

he does have more playoff wins in Denver then the great Payton Manning
Hope you're kidding. If we're down on Ponder because of his passing ability, then... Ugh. Forget it.

Closed Thread