HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals: Part XXXVII

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 09:11 AM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

vCash: 50
Michalek's trade value is probably very low at the moment

Old
03-15-2013, 09:12 AM
Daffy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg View Post
Hornqvist has put up better goal totals (minus Milan's 35 goal season) in a defensive system with lackluster teammates, doesn't have busted knees (80, 79, and 76 games played), younger and an RFA compared to a UFA next year.

Agreed. Can't see Nashville dealing Hornqvist for Milo. If Michalek could stay healthy, I think that would change things, but he can't.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:13 AM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg View Post
Hornqvist has put up better goal totals (minus Milan's 35 goal season) in a defensive system with lackluster teammates, doesn't have busted knees (80, 79, and 76 games played), younger and an RFA compared to a UFA next year.
If anything its a wash.
I wouldn't do Michalek for Hornqvist personally.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:29 AM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
If anything its a wash.
I wouldn't do Michalek for Hornqvist personally.

Why not?!

Old
03-15-2013, 12:17 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
He's RFA after this season

I don't know what it is about Chris Stewart but his name comes up here like once a week as people thinking he's 'available' in some way on the cheap. He's the leading scorer on one of the better teams in the league - he would be incredibly expensive to acquire.
Dreger said that the Blues are shopping Stewart. He also said that the Leafs and Blues are talking trade and that the blues are interested in Kulemin. If there is a deal around Kulemin+ for Stewart, I think we can match that value.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:29 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
Dreger said that the Blues are shopping Stewart. He also said that the Leafs and Blues are talking trade and that the blues are interested in Kulemin. If there is a deal around Kulemin+ for Stewart, I think we can match that value.
I hope to god we would. Stewart would be filthy playing with Turris or Spezza.

Latendresse - Spezza - Stewart
Michalek - Turris - Alfredsson
Silfverberg - Zibanejad - Condra
Greening - Smith - Neil

Nice playoff year.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:51 PM
Berserker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I hope to god we would. Stewart would be filthy playing with Turris or Spezza.

Latendresse - Spezza - Stewart
Michalek - Turris - Alfredsson
Silfverberg - Zibanejad - Condra
Greening - Smith - Neil

Nice playoff year.
Well it would also suck if he went to the Leafs. Stewart wouldn't be a very fun player to play against in the playoffs and 6 times a year.

At this point it looks like the Leafs and Bruins are targeting more tough/physical players. The Leafs have their eyes on Stewart and apparently Boston is interested in Clowe and Morrrow.

If the Leafs and Bruins end of adding those players, or players like them, then the Senators may be forced to add a few more physical players. I don't expect MacLean to play Kassian in the playoffs, so we could be a bit vulnerable in that regard.

IMO our biggest needs going into the playoffs are a top six scoring forward, possibly a physical top six forward and grit depth.

I'm not sure who the top scoring forwards are that will be available at the trade deadline. In regards to a physical top six forward, players like Simmonds, Stewart, Glencross, Hartnell and Clarkson could all be interesting targets.

Aside from that, I think we have plenty of depth offensive players, but could use a little more girt depth. Clutterbuck would be an ideal target in that regard. I would also target Matt Martin, Devante Smith Pelly, Kyle Beach and PC Labrie. Players like Martin, Smith Pelly, Beach and Labrie could be useful if we end of playing teams like the Leafs and/or Bruins. But I probably wouldn't play them if we end up in a series against the Habs. That way, if we play the Habs we throw players like Hoffman or Prince on the 4th line. If we play the Bruins or Leafs, we throw Martin or Labrie on the 4th line.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:35 PM
SlapJack
Scum bag Sens

One deal I'd love to see and actually makes a bit of sense, would perhaps be finding a way to pry Hossa from the Hawks.
They might be facing cap issues again next year and Hossa has 8 years left at $5.275M.

Personally, I think it would be a better option than Perry.Perry will command $3M more than that, plus the actual dollars left on Hossa's contract are only around $4M/yr for the remainder.

I know he's much older and both of these guys are pipe dreams anyhow, but I'm sure I'm not the only Ottawa fan who would love to see him back. He's still amazing as well

Old
03-15-2013, 02:48 PM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapJack View Post
One deal I'd love to see and actually makes a bit of sense, would perhaps be finding a way to pry Hossa from the Hawks.
They might be facing cap issues again next year and Hossa has 8 years left at $5.275M.

Personally, I think it would be a better option than Perry.Perry will command $3M more than that, plus the actual dollars left on Hossa's contract are only around $4M/yr for the remainder.

I know he's much older and both of these guys are pipe dreams anyhow, but I'm sure I'm not the only Ottawa fan who would love to see him back. He's still amazing as well
i love hossa but the 8 years left are atrocious. lets say we want to move him in 3 or 4 years. that's going to be almost impossible.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:57 PM
OD99

I have no idea what rumor to start but George McPhee was on my flight from DC to Ottawa this afternoon...he may have some other connection to Ottawa and I would think it odd for a guy to have a face-to-face meeting with a GM when they could hash things out over the phone but...you never know.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:00 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

I'd love Hossa. If he retires early its not on us and I think he can play at a high level until hes 40. I see him winding down similarly to Alfredsson although he will probably be a little bit better in the later years imo.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:04 PM
VVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OD99 View Post
I have no idea what rumor to start but George McPhee was on my flight from DC to Ottawa this afternoon...he may have some other connection to Ottawa and I would think it odd for a guy to have a face-to-face meeting with a GM when they could hash things out over the phone but...you never know.
Myers and Vanek to Ottawa O5

Old
03-15-2013, 03:06 PM
Yokai

vCash: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaksh0w View Post
What do either of those players have to do with Washington or Ottawa?

Old
03-15-2013, 03:12 PM
VVS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
What do either of those players have to do with Washington or Ottawa?
Because I totally screwed up the names and thought McPhee was the Buffalo GM for some reason.

And I wasn't even close. Wow.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Kezia
Benny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaksh0w View Post
Whats "O5"?

Old
03-15-2013, 03:15 PM
OD99

Maybe they aren't happy with the goaltending they have been getting (last night not included) so he wants to delve into a Bishop trade...

Would happily take Yevgeni Kuznetsov or Filip Forsberg for him!!

Old
03-15-2013, 03:16 PM
OD99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny FTW View Post
Whats "O5"?
I think he also totally screwed up what decade we are in

Old
03-15-2013, 03:27 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
I don't really see us being good trading partners.

Quote:
I think he also totally screwed up what decade we are in
I'm pretty sure he was making fun of Eklund.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:29 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Would like Brooks Laich. Help us at center and move to wing whenever Spezza is back.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:30 PM
Quo

Quote:
Maybe they aren't happy with the goaltending they have been getting (last night not included) so he wants to delve into a Bishop trade...

Would happily take Yevgeni Kuznetsov or Filip Forsberg for him!!
Nah...Holtby's found his game recently. Don't see a need for them to accumulate beyond him and Neuvirth.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:39 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
Why would St Louis move their top scorer when they are in 4th place & likely going into the playoffs? Don`t most teams want to add & not subtract from their rosters going into the playoffs? I would hate him going to the Leafs, wish we would made this move at the beginning of the season when his value was much less. I wonder if St Louis would be interesting in getting Bishop back since Elliott sucks badly this yr?

Old
03-15-2013, 03:50 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
I'd love Hossa. If he retires early its not on us and I think he can play at a high level until hes 40. I see him winding down similarly to Alfredsson although he will probably be a little bit better in the later years imo.
I believe the new CBA addresses this and puts teams on the hook for these 'cap advantage' contracts. If Hossa or Luongo retire before their contract are up teams are on the hook for the cap hits until the contract expires. I don't know how it works if the contract is traded though.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:16 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
I believe the new CBA addresses this and puts teams on the hook for these 'cap advantage' contracts. If Hossa or Luongo retire before their contract are up teams are on the hook for the cap hits until the contract expires. I don't know how it works if the contract is traded though.
It's the teams that signed to them their deals that get caught with the cap hit, not the team that they are playing with at the time of retirement.

Or that's what was suggested at one point, I'm not sure if that clause found it's way into the CBA unchanged.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:33 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
The team who signed the deal is on the hook, if my understanding is correct

Old
03-15-2013, 04:37 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
It's the teams that signed to them their deals that get caught with the cap hit, not the team that they are playing with at the time of retirement.

Or that's what was suggested at one point, I'm not sure if that clause found it's way into the CBA unchanged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
The team who signed the deal is on the hook, if my understanding is correct
This is the rule according to cap geek

Quote:
Teams receiving a “cap advantage” from long-term contracts — defined as seven years or more for contracts signed prior to the January 2013 CBA — will be penalized in the event the player retires or “defects” from the NHL before the contract expires. A team receives a “cap advantage” when the player’s actual salary exceeds his cap hit in a given year.

Following retirement/defection, the “advantage” will be “recaptured” and charged against the club’s cap in equal amounts each year until the contract expires. This penalty applies to any team that received a cap advantage from the contract — ie. a traded contract — except in the event that the trade occurred prior to the new CBA coming into place in January 2013.
From what I understand there, we'd be a team receiving a "cap advantage" since Hossa makes 7.9M till 2015-2016 and has a cap hit of 5,275,000 and thus would be on the hook till 2021. I could be wrong though, I'm terrible with legal jargon.

Closed Thread