HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Top 5 fastest players in the league today?

Old
03-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Fallenity

vCash: 500
Related to this, it was quite sexy when the Ducks had Etem and Cogliano on the PK a couple of nights ago. Their speed created two very dangerous situations within one PP alone. Definitely want to see more of that.

Regarding the Ducks in general, Fowler, Cogliano and Etem are pretty fast currently. Pure speed, I'd probably say Cogliano but Fowler is better in moving laterally at top speed, Cogs just blazes forward.

Fallenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:48 PM
darglor

I'm surprised at how many people have Hagelin on here without also having Karlsson on their lists, considering the latter made catching up to the former look like child's play in last year's playoffs.

darglor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:14 PM
MTrangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by darglor View Post
I'm surprised at how many people have Hagelin on here without also having Karlsson on their lists, considering the latter made catching up to the former look like child's play in last year's playoffs.
Video? End of a shift maybe? Karlsson is an all world skater but speed wise I don't think he is quite up to Grabner/Hagelin speed.

MTrangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:21 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrangers View Post
Video? End of a shift maybe? Karlsson is an all world skater but speed wise I don't think he is quite up to Grabner/Hagelin speed.
I saw it happen plenty of times, ad I think Hagelin is one of the fastest players in the game.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:22 PM
tade

Voracek is very fast.

tade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:22 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Moulson Ale View Post
Grabner is so fast that if he knew how to finish one-on-one he would be a 40 goal scorer. He gets so many breakaways.
he is close to being a 40 goal scorer despite his hands. speed like that is an extremely effective weapon. If he could finish he would be a superstar in the nhl.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:31 PM
redbull
respect, earned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
Duchene's speed this year is just phenomenal.Nearly everytime he moves through the neutral zone the defenders are scrambling to keep him from getting by him, usually having to give up back skating to turn and try and catch up. He's way faster than he has been so far in his career and it's beautiful to watch.

Fastest player Colorado has ever had for sure.
Duchene is amazing to watch when he's got open ice. He can stick-handle at speed too, which is impressive, but he's also very strong on his skates. Low centre of gravity, strength, whatever you want to call it.

Grabner's the most explosive skater I've ever seen. He's not elegant, cannot stick-handle, has zero strength on the puck and will be knocked off stride with a strong arena draft, he can barely receive a pass and he certainly cannot score - but boy, his explosiveness is something to see!

As lbrowne noted in his/her post, Grabs hits that top speed in 2-3 strides. The quickness is unreal.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:45 PM
SephF
[b][/b]

Taylor Hall is a freak on skates. Unconventional stride but he absolutely flies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
Duchene's speed this year is just phenomenal.Nearly everytime he moves through the neutral zone the defenders are scrambling to keep him from getting by him, usually having to give up back skating to turn and try and catch up. He's way faster than he has been so far in his career and it's beautiful to watch.

Fastest player Colorado has ever had for sure.
He definitely seems a bit faster this year, it's noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Wow pretty glaring lack of Crosby. I know many main board junkies hate him but he can easily keep up with anyone in the league aside from Grabner and MAYBE a couple others. He skates faster than most guys when he has the puck for cryin' out loud.
Crosby is a great skater, especially balance wise but as far as straight away speed goes theres quite a few guys I'd put ahead of Crosby.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 View Post
Wow pretty glaring lack of Crosby. I know many main board junkies hate him but he can easily keep up with anyone in the league aside from Grabner and MAYBE a couple others. He skates faster than most guys when he has the puck for cryin' out loud.
Nah. He's fast, but there's clearly more people than just Grabner who would put a step on him from goal line to goal line. I've seen Darrol Powe put a step on him chasing after a cleared puck on a Flyers PK, and there are guys faster than Powe. That's not a controlled, scientific comparison of their speeds, but it's as good as we're going to do.

I think if you set up an obstacle course and had the whole league skate through it with and with out a puck, him and Datsyuk would have the least difference between their two times. I.e. they're the guys who's speed is most dangerous, even if they're not the absolute fastest.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:53 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

doesn't play fast all the time, but not many players can accelerate as well as jeff carter.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Nordic*

The faster a player is, the better hands and vision he needs to have to be able to successfully use that speed to his advantage - since everything happens so much faster than it would have for someone like for instance Joe Thornton.

The best stickhandlers in the game are not the fastest players and vice versa. Then there's the ones who are really good at both, just not elite, IE Crosby.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:24 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Haven't noticed this guy mentioned, and since he's in the AHL now maybe he shouldn't count, but Eric Wellwood has jaw-dropping speed.

JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Seguin and Kessel always seem to stand out for me as far as raw speed.

Coach Parker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Smokey McCanucks

Whatever happened to that guy Lombardi, used to be the fastest dude around.

Smokey McCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:46 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Grabner's the undisputed #1 in this category.

After him comes a collection of guys in no particular order who are sort of difficult to distinguish from each other in terms of speed, including but not limited to Letang, Karlsson, Raymond, Fowler, Helm, Eric Wellwood, Kovalchuk, maybe Chimera.

Gaborik doesn't really have a gear like them, anymore, from what I can tell.

And Crosby...it's hard to tell because he's rarely going at top speed. His closing speed is insane (there was a backcheck against, I think the lightning or Flyers where he started out as the deepest player in the offensive zone, passed 6 players and picked off a dump behind the goal line), but skating forward with the puck at top speed isn't something he's going to do because he'll find himself alone.

Crosby's certainly not got Grabner's gear, but a guy like Helm can turn on the afterburners, get it to the line, then dump it and he's done his job. If Crosby does that, he's very likely wasted a scoring chance and NOT done his job. He can't turn on the jets or he loses his support.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:46 PM
sakicisgod

Anyone without Duchene in their list hasn't watched the Avs play. Dude gets the puck in stride and he's gonezo. Gotta be top 3 with Hagelin and Grabner

sakicisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:47 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
Haven't noticed this guy mentioned, and since he's in the AHL now maybe he shouldn't count, but Eric Wellwood has jaw-dropping speed.
Agreed. Eric Wellwood's got some afterburners.

Old
03-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Tralfamadore
So it goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Parker View Post
Seguin and Kessel always seem to stand out for me as far as raw speed.
I'm always amazed at how quickly Seguin moves his feet/legs. No doubt he is very fast but if he had a stronger lower body he would be as fast as anybody.

Tralfamadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:28 PM
MTrangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
After him comes a collection of guys in no particular order who are sort of difficult to distinguish from each other in terms of speed, including but not limited to Letang, Karlsson, Raymond, Fowler, Helm, Eric Wellwood, Kovalchuk, maybe Chimera.
Quite an extensive list to not include Hagelin or Duchene IMO.

MTrangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:33 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrangers View Post
Quite an extensive list to not include Hagelin or Duchene IMO.
Exactly what part of "collection of guys...including but not limited to" did you have trouble understanding?

Old
03-12-2013, 07:39 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Grabner, Karlsson, Hagelin, Helm, Kessel.

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:46 PM
The Nuge
Some Say...

vCash: 50
Hall, Grabner, Hagelin are the top 3. The others could be any number of people. I'd go with Raymond and Kessel

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Reign Nateo

There's a lot of tremendous skaters in the NHL, there's 2-3 on every team that would be hard to seperate from other team's top 2-3 league wide. I judge by in game speed, not skills comp. throwaways and there are a lot if good skating battles in every game.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:54 PM
CanuckLuck

J. Hansen on the Canucks has insane speed in open ice. Vancouver's fastest skater.

CanuckLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:54 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Erik Karlsson

Lmao, I read the first two pages and NO ONE mentioned the fastest player in the league.

Erik Karlsson.

Bobby Orr basically called him the fastest and best skater in the NHL. I am shocked he wasn't mentioned in first post.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=640335

Karlsson again number 1.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...he-nhl/page/26

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote