HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

No love for Brodin in the Calder discussion?

Old
03-15-2013, 06:54 AM
theknightwhosaidni

vCash: 500
No love for Brodin in the Calder discussion?

Im not saying he´s the frontrunner for the Calder, but it seems like everyone is shortselling the kid. Playing top-end minutes and being extremely defensively sound.
Sometimes it feels like almost every trophy is way too much focused on points.

theknightwhosaidni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 06:58 AM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Hard for D men to get the calder since voters care more about points

03-15-2013, 06:59 AM
Freudian
calmer than you are

He would have to put up significantly more points to get Calder votes. He's been very impressive, playing big minutes and not making many mistakes but that's not what the Calder is about.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:05 AM
theknightwhosaidni

I know, that´s how it usually goes, but im getting annoyed with the offense-hysteria in this league.
The Calder is awarded "to the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League." I can´t see many other rookies having the same impact on their teams as Brodin has.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:25 AM
gretskidoo

A lot of people like to pretend they care about actual defensive play when they talk about Norris, but they really don't, they just care about certain players.

gretskidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:26 AM
TCNorthstars

vCash: 599
Think it might have something to do with his D-partner being so good?

TCNorthstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:30 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknightwhosaidni View Post
I know, that´s how it usually goes, but im getting annoyed with the offense-hysteria in this league.
The Calder is awarded "to the player selected as the most proficient in his first year of competition in the National Hockey League." I can´t see many other rookies having the same impact on their teams as Brodin has.
One day you'll come to accept that the regular season trophies as voted by the hockey writers are pretty much crap. Several guys are completely valid choices for each award in any given year and they simplify a complex season by picking one guy out of a bunch who are really on the same tier. It's cool for the players to get recognition and some bonus cash, but whomever wins the Calder or Selke or Hart or whatever really doesn't matter.

Honestly, other than the Stanley Cup and community service recognition, the only one I can kinda care about is the Conn Smythe, and even then, there are usually a few guys who could easily deserve it.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:42 AM
theknightwhosaidni

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
One day you'll come to accept that the regular season trophies as voted by the hockey writers are pretty much crap. Several guys are completely valid choices for each award in any given year and they simplify a complex season by picking one guy out of a bunch who are really on the same tier. It's cool for the players to get recognition and some bonus cash, but whomever wins the Calder or Selke or Hart or whatever really doesn't matter.

Honestly, other than the Stanley Cup and community service recognition, the only one I can kinda care about is the Conn Smythe, and even then, there are usually a few guys who could easily deserve it.
Im really not that bothered by who gets whatever award, its more about the discrepancy between the appreciation of a player who is defensively gifted vs one who is offensively gifted. As i said, im not saying Brodin should win the Calder, its just that the discussions about the Calder is a good indicator of how people perceive talent and skill.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:44 AM
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC

vCash: 400
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNorthstars View Post
Not even close.

Brodin played the same style in the AHL as well. He's simply unreal.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:55 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Im really not that bothered by who gets whatever award, its more about the discrepancy between the appreciation of a player who is defensively gifted vs one who is offensively gifted. As i said, im not saying Brodin should win the Calder, its just that the discussions about the Calder is a good indicator of how people perceive talent and skill.
My point is that the trophy discussions, by default, are not a particularly good indicator. They are naturally divisive by creating four artificial categories: won the trophy, was a finalist for the trophy, got a small number of votes, didn't get any votes - and most people really just focus on two categories: won and everyone else.
And notice how everyone here recognizes that you need to score to be in consideration for the trophy. That doesn't mean a defensive player goes unappreciated, it just means he's not part of the trophy discussion.

It would be cool if there were a better trophy system (I'd love to see trophies as voted by the coaches), but if you distance yourself from all trophy discussions, this issue fades in favor of more measured discussion.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:59 AM
His Beardliness
#SireBabcock

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNorthstars View Post
Quite the opposite. When he was out at the beginning of the season, Suter was struggling. Now he's a Norris candidate with Brodin next to him.

His Beardliness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:00 AM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 1527
I sincerely hope he gets acknowledgement for the Calder because the kid's unreal. However, I don't expect him to win.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:05 AM
Sportserie

He is beyond unreal. He is so fun to watch. Honestly, you don't even have to be a Wild and/or Swedish fan to enjoy what he does. He's just incredible.

Sportserie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:10 AM
Market Street Heroes

Has a defensive minded defenceman won the Calder since Barret Jackman won it over Zetterberg?

Market Street Heroes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:15 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Im not saying he´s the frontrunner for the Calder, but it seems like everyone is shortselling the kid. Playing top-end minutes and being extremely defensively sound.
Sometimes it feels like almost every trophy is way too much focused on points.
Definitely is.
When was the last time the Calder winner wasnt the highest scoring forward/defenseman?

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:20 AM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

vCash: 1527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Street Heroes View Post
Has a defensive minded defenceman won the Calder since Barret Jackman won it over Zetterberg?
Nope. The most recent defenseman to win was Tyler Myers in 09-10 with a 48 point rookie season.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:30 AM
Alien Valuating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Street Heroes View Post
Jackman was a +23 though, Brodin is currently a minus although that is clearly not indicative of his play.

I agree that Brodin deserves to be in the conversation, but he won't be there because of meh stats, it's a shame but that's how these things go.

Alien Valuating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:32 AM
Dr Jan Itor

He'd need to go on some sort of a point streak, something like 12 in his next 15 games, to jump up into the conversation. Not something I'd expect, but I wouldn't be surprised either.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:36 AM
premadonna

vCash: 520
His stats aren't impressive enough, unfortunately.

premadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:55 AM
TwInS1095

vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by allerotrot View Post
Jackman was a +23 though, Brodin is currently a minus although that is clearly not indicative of his play.

I agree that Brodin deserves to be in the conversation, but he won't be there because of meh stats, it's a shame but that's how these things go.
He's actually even or a +1 I think but your definitely right about all of this.

TwInS1095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:43 AM
dnicks17

As valuable as he is to the Wild, being a Western Conference defenseman who doesn't put up many points is going to hurt his chances pretty significantly.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Yosemite Sam

vCash: 1050
I compare Brodin's first year to Ryan O'Reilly's in the sense that he's a young kid coming in and concentrating on the defensive part of the game, working to ensure he's got it down pat and is completely comfortable with the NHL game. Like O'Reilly, I expect he'll add a more offensive element to his game as soon as that level of comfort has been achieved. The kid's been a defensive stud, looking like a 10-year vet already, so I expect we'll see the offensive side of his game blossom next year, or even as this year starts to wind down.

He scored his first goal after all. Open the floodgates.

Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:11 PM
canuck lover

Well last year they named the calder to the more defensive forward than the forward with the most offensive skill (PPG wise). Both were west conference players, so if he keeps up his great defensive game I think he will get noticed and be in the discussion especially when he is paired with Suter.

canuck lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:21 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

I was disappointed with us picking him at first... But now I love it. I'm thrilled.

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:36 PM
PAZ

I'd be surprised if Brodin even gets any votes.

Shattenkirk had 43 points as a rookie playing second pairing minutes, and his name wasn't anywhere the discussions.

PAZ is online now   Reply With Quote