HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (12-13 Part XII)

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 01:52 PM
Huffer

vCash: 50
I know we like to look into the future and talk about the possibility of home town boys like Toews or Zajac (before) signing here.

One guy I don't think we've talked about, and is still technically a hometown boy, with not only family living in the city, but huge family ties to Winnipeg Jets hockey (not this franchise, just saying Winnipeg Jets, or Pro Winnipeg hockey if you will), is Alexander Steen.

He will become a UFA after next season and will be 30. He is a LW and would be an almost perfect 3rd line LW (if the $'s work). He's defensively responsible, and can chip in offensively. I think he's massively underrated around the league, but not to Blues fans if you read their boards. He's an absolute glue guy, and one of those guys you love to have on your team.

What are people's thoughts? Fit? Money? etc.

Hypothetical 2014-2015 lineup

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Scheifele -
Steen - Burmistrov - Lowry
Wright - Slater -

Last edited by Huffer: 03-15-2013 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Fixed Slater for Stuart
Old
03-15-2013, 02:08 PM
jetkarma

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I know we like to look into the future and talk about the possibility of home town boys like Toews or Zajac (before) signing here.

One guy I don't think we've talked about, and is still technically a hometown boy, with not only family living in the city, but huge family ties to Winnipeg Jets hockey (not this franchise, just saying Winnipeg Jets, or Pro Winnipeg hockey if you will), is Alexander Steen.

He will become a UFA after next season and will be 30. He is a LW and would be an almost perfect 3rd line LW (if the $'s work). He's defensively responsible, and can chip in offensively. I think he's massively underrated around the league, but not to Blues fans if you read their boards. He's an absolute glue guy, and one of those guys you love to have on your team.

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Scheifele -
Wright - Stuart -
Mentioned him a while ago , just the injury concern , but when healthy he is a great non top line player . Would fit in , can play a few positions and Dave Poulin said this week ( now with the leafs management ) that if you asked scouts , they would have said he was the best player overseas this season.

Strong character too , who is Stuart? drawing a blank.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:15 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Quote:

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Scheifele -
Wright - Stuart -
If he was available he would be an unreal 3rd liner as he is for STL now. He'd be likely in the Ladd salary range to sign but like you said, glue guy that leads by example every shift and can play at a high level with average offence for a 2nd/3rd line tweener.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:16 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Scheifele -
Wright - Stuart -
His underlying numbers since 2010 are VERY impressive.
But, then again so were Ponikarovsky's

Old
03-15-2013, 02:16 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetkarma View Post
Mentioned him a while ago , just the injury concern , but when healthy he is a great non top line player . Would fit in , can play a few positions and Dave Poulin said this week ( now with the leafs management ) that if you asked scouts , they would have said he was the best player overseas this season.

Think he meant Slater.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:17 PM
Huffer

Quote:

Stuart, ouch. Not going to look too good at C. Meant Slater.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:23 PM
sully1410

I think Steen would be amazing here and definitely fits the mold of the team moving forward..however I doubt he leaves St Louis.

Blues fans are so high on him a few of them said they wouldn't trade him for Kane straight across...I know. Weird.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:26 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Stuart, ouch. Not going to look too good at C. Meant Slater.
On your list , I would still say we would need quality centers.

I would see if Lowry could or would be ready to take one spot , and rather have Steen at C than Little. I think Little would be better at RW but he obviously could stay between Ladd and Wheeler. Not just the goals but Ladd seems to have stepped up his game , which isn't unrealistic and of course a very positive development.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:06 PM
Huffer

Quote:
On your list , I would still say we would need quality centers.

I would see if Lowry could or would be ready to take one spot , and rather have Steen at C than Little. I think Little would be better at RW but he obviously could stay between Ladd and Wheeler. Not just the goals but Ladd seems to have stepped up his game , which isn't unrealistic and of course a very positive development.
I have read from a lot of Blues posters here that Steen is much better on the wing. So much so that when a centre is injured and Steen is moved there, they are glad when the centre comes back not only to have him back, but also so Steen can go back to the wing.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:09 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
I think Steen would be amazing here and definitely fits the mold of the team moving forward..however I doubt he leaves St Louis.

Blues fans are so high on him a few of them said they wouldn't trade him for Kane straight across...I know. Weird.
Agreed. They like him there for sure, and besides his dad, there isn't much of a pull here for him.

Although, I was thinking that the Blues might "want" to resign him, but who knows what their internal cap situation will look like next year.

Not saying that Alexander is itching to move closer to his Dad, but if he truly was a UFA, could that be one little factor in our favor I wonder?

Old
03-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Blackie Dammit
proud flatlander

John Shannon on Sportsnet thinks that WPG and NAS will be in the bidding process for Brendan Morrow at the trade deadline to make a push for the playoffs. I like Morrow's game but I don't see Chevy going after rentals. Morrow is a UFA at the end of the season, 34 years old. Thoughts??????????

Old
03-15-2013, 05:56 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Chevy was on 1290 and said his #1 add would be a scoring RW

If he is going to move Hainsey, a scoring winger would be a nice return.

Old
03-15-2013, 05:56 PM
jetkarma

Chevy was on H & L and he was asked about rentals , and if he had a magic wand ... He said one thing about rentals is you can get a leg up in resigning them ( much like Chicago did with Oduya ) and he said he would like to add scoring and particularly RW to balance with Ladd Kane and Wheeler.

Maybe something to the St.L talk?

Old
03-15-2013, 06:13 PM
mondo3

vCash: 571
Which RW would be available (and of interest to us) from St L? they've been underperforming, so perhaps they're looking at shaking up their team

Old
03-15-2013, 06:17 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by morningwood View Post
John Shannon on Sportsnet thinks that WPG and NAS will be in the bidding process for Brendan Morrow at the trade deadline to make a push for the playoffs. I like Morrow's game but I don't see Chevy going after rentals. Morrow is a UFA at the end of the season, 34 years old. Thoughts??????????
Like Morrow, but would not want to pay anything significant for him at this time. We're nowhere near the point where our GM should be spending assets on 34 year old rentals.

I like the earlier comment that someone mentioned Chevy saying that he would possibly go after guys with some term left in their deals.

Old
03-15-2013, 06:38 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Like Morrow, but would not want to pay anything significant for him at this time. We're nowhere near the point where our GM should be spending assets on 34 year old rentals.

I like the earlier comment that someone mentioned Chevy saying that he would possibly go after guys with some term left in their deals.
If ever you want a blueprint for what not to do, look at Waddel's acquisition of Keith Tkachuk for their 1st round sweep in the 2007 playoffs.

Old
03-15-2013, 06:42 PM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo3 View Post
Which RW would be available (and of interest to us) from St L? they've been underperforming, so perhaps they're looking at shaking up their team
Stewart and McDonald have been mentioned in trade talks.

Not sure how much legitimacy there is to it, but that is the word.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:35 PM
teucer

I like Stewart.. but not too keen on McDonald.

The guys I would want probably wouldn't be available unless they were going in rebuild mode and I don't think that is the case.

Last edited by teucer: 03-15-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old
03-16-2013, 07:09 AM
Alklha

Quote:
I have read from a lot of Blues posters here that Steen is much better on the wing. So much so that when a centre is injured and Steen is moved there, they are glad when the centre comes back not only to have him back, but also so Steen can go back to the wing.
Steen does play better on the wing, but has played very well at centre. Some fans got hung up on his faceoff percentage early in the year and then never really moved the position when it came up to a more respectable 45%. Can't really argue with PPG production in the position though!

Plenty of family ties for him in Winnipeg, and I know he has continuing (and growing) business interests in the city as well. I'd still be surprised if he didn't sign an extension in St. Louis.

Old
03-16-2013, 07:18 AM
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Chevy was on 1290 and said his #1 add would be a scoring RW
I guess he won't come out and say #1C but to me that makes the most sense. Move little to RW. Then we have four very good scoring wingers that all bring something different.

Old
03-16-2013, 08:00 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
I guess he won't come out and say #1C but to me that makes the most sense. Move little to RW. Then we have four very good scoring wingers that all bring something different.
A good centre is at a premium. A good #1 centre? Good luck finding one for the playoffs. We can make our centre core work for the time being. It's much easier to find a winger.

Old
03-16-2013, 08:04 AM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1235
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
I don't think you can really say you need a #1 C that's like saying you need a franchise d-man. You may need them but so do most teams and they aren't usually obtained at the trade deadline. I thought saying he needed a scoring RW was pretty candid on Chevy's part.

Old
03-16-2013, 08:45 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Right now, the player I would want here more than anyone is Versteeg.

I'm a proponent of buying low, and Versteeg's value is lower now than it has been in a while. Last year I would have given up a high pick for Stewart, but he's regained his form and the cost will be huge now (if they even move him).

Old
03-16-2013, 08:52 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
Right now, the player I would want here more than anyone is Versteeg.

I'm a proponent of buying low, and Versteeg's value is lower now than it has been in a while. Last year I would have given up a high pick for Stewart, but he's regained his form and the cost will be huge now (if they even move him).
Versteeg just had season ending knee surgery.

Old
03-16-2013, 09:09 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Alien Hockey Wizard

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Versteeg just had season ending knee surgery.
Scratch and dent sale?

Closed Thread