HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (12-13 Part XII)

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2013, 09:22 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Interesting trade talk going on, sounds as though we'll add something. Exciting, I feel pretty confident in Chevy here. We are an asset oriented organization, he's not about to deplete the cupboard for one player.

Morrow is interesting, though his health and age are questionable. He is a guy however who would absolutely bring the right mindset and work ethic the org. loves. Only thing is, is he is a LW. Dallas is still heavily in the mix in the West as it stands now though.

Would cost a lot, but would be a damn fine addition (and hopefully long-term), RW Jason Pominville.

Last edited by Guerzy: 03-16-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old
03-16-2013, 10:11 AM
puck stoppa

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Interesting trade talk going on, sounds as though we'll add something. Exciting, I feel pretty confident in Chevy here. We are an asset oriented organization, he's not about to deplete the cupboard for one player.

Morrow is interesting, though his health and age are questionable. He is a guy however who would absolutely bring the right mindset and work ethic the org. loves. Only thing is, is he is a LW. Dallas is still heavily in the mix in the West as it stands now though.

Would cost a lot, but would be a damn fine addition (and hopefully long-term), RW Jason Pominville.
I would love Pominville! Im not good at this GM stuff but what would it take to get him here? This year's 1st, Burmi and a prospect?

Old
03-16-2013, 10:42 AM
JetsHomer

You want to trade Burmi and a first for a 30 year old who would become the oldest member of our core? Pass

Old
03-16-2013, 11:57 AM
sully1410

I'd like to get another top four DMan tbh.

I think Chevy is taking a long look at Stastny, which solves all our problems tbh. Allows Little to slide over and gives us some scoring depth at C.

Old
03-16-2013, 11:58 AM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post

I think Chevy is taking a long look at Stastny, which solves all our problems tbh. Allows Little to slide over and gives us some scoring depth at C.
good point. would be a smart addition.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:01 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
good point. would be a smart addition.
I don't even think he'd be super expensive either. He's a soon to be uFA and he's not the 70pt C that he used to be...although with Wheeler and Kane he could be.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:02 PM
GermanJetsFan
*PEW* *PEW* *PEW*

I saw Wheels play with Stastny and as I said a couple of times: They looked great together.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Huffer

Quote:

As long as it didn't cost us to much in terms of assets, and if we could resign him to a good contract, that might be a great move.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:07 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanJetsFan View Post
I saw Wheels play with Stastny and as I said a couple of times: They looked great together.
I remember you saying that. I don't know what it is, but I just have this feeling that either through FA or trade or whatever...Stastny becomes a Jet.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:12 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1345
Quote:
I remember you saying that. I don't know what it is, but I just have this feeling that either through FA or trade or whatever...Stastny becomes a Jet.
But what does Stastny's $ 6.6 M cap hit do to the salary structure of the Jets, especially when they have so many RFA coming up for new contracts this year?

Old
03-16-2013, 12:24 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
You guys are blowing this rental thing way out of proportion. Chevy isn't going to break the bank for a pending UFA. It's just common ****ing sense. He's not going to trade the 1st unless its a package to brig a big name here, and that's highly unlikely. Referencing an idiot GM doesn't really help anyone's argument because he was one man that was known for terrible trades. The biggest name we MIGHT move would be Burmi, and I find that unlikely as well. Our pending UFAs and picks outside the first will likely be on the table, but not much else.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:31 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
But what does Stastny's $ 6.6 M cap hit do to the salary structure of the Jets, especially when they have so many RFA coming up for new contracts this year?
Nothing crazy I don't think. Antro and Hains won't be the same a. Little will probably be 3.5-4, wheeler 4-4.5, I'd probably do 5 for Bogo(he's probably sign for less tbh), and I'd do 2-2.5 over 2years for Burmi.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:32 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
You guys are blowing this rental thing way out of proportion. Chevy isn't going to break the bank for a pending UFA. It's just common ****ing sense. He's not going to trade the 1st unless its a package to brig a big name here, and that's highly unlikely. Referencing an idiot GM doesn't really help anyone's argument because he was one man that was known for terrible trades. The biggest name we MIGHT move would be Burmi, and I find that unlikely as well. Our pending UFAs and picks outside the first will likely be on the table, but not much else.
I think we're among the same mind set.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:32 PM
TCsmyth

Quote:
I am with you Duke, I sense that Chevy is an asset manager type, and I don't see him moving anything that is under control (RFA). I think he will move picks or guys he doesn't think fit...not much else at this point.

I reserve the right to be completely wrong

Old
03-16-2013, 12:44 PM
sully1410

Quote:
I absolutely agree. I think it would be a mistake to drop our first or any
considerable assets for UFA rentals. But if a guy like Stastny can come for a few assets that arent going handicap ourselves in years to come, IMO, you have to do it. Considering his dropoff in production, he could be resigned for 5...maybe less? He'd also help us in the playoffs.

But I do agree, I wouldn't want to sell off our picks in this draft for a rental...even with Stastny, this team probably won't win the Stanley Cup. I mean, it definitely could, but chances are against it.

I have maintained from day one that there was going to come a day where it was time to make the necessary moves or signings to make this team competitive. The question is...has that day come?

I'd like to think so.

I'm totally fine if this management doesn't do anything at the deadline, and rides into the playoffs with what we got, if nothing else to see what the current roster can do. I have faith that we can take almost any of those teams in the east to seven games, at the least.

However in th off season, I really believe that Chevy needs to go hard after Paul Stastny.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:58 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
I don't think he is looking for a rental either, that is why a vet for vet deal could make sone sense.

Hello Stl.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:08 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I don't think he is looking for a rental either, that is why a vet for vet deal could make sone sense.

Hello Stl.
I really don't think St. Louis is an option. I personally have no time for lazy hockey players, and if Stewart's drive or w/e is on question...I have no interest in him.

Who exactly would we trade? Hainsey? I think we'll need the guy if we're talking playoffs here. We could trade Burmi, but his over abundance of skill and defensive abilities will be a real asset come play offs.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:11 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

The one thing I would add to this is I think we may be overstating the worth of a second rounder a wee bit. Yes, they can turn into marvelous players but more often than not they are either dime a dozen role players or guys who never stick in the NHL. Besides that someone picked there is going to take several years to be a meaningful player IF they ever get there.

IF we can make a deal that significantly improves us, vaults us into the playoffs, and helps the club:

- earn extra revenue (could be put towards players)
- gain reputation as a winning org with the league (helps in signing players)
- and get our players playoff experience/ help build a winning atmosphere
- get us a leg up on re signing that rental if he likes it here, and we do well with him.

I think you ABSOLUTELY trade your 2nd/ 3rd rounders for that. We do have extras this year and though I understand the 'deep draft' and 'organizational depth building' arguments, I think an argument can be made that the bullet points I listed above make us a better organization now and in the future than drafting a couple of extra 'gambles'.

I know this board is called HOCKEY'S FUTURE but you can't endlessly be trying to replace established NHL players with shiny new pieces that can't play in the league *yet*. It's a balance.

03-16-2013, 01:21 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
The one thing I would add to this is I think we may be overstating the worth of a second rounder a wee bit. Yes, they can turn into marvelous players but more often than not they are either dime a dozen role players or guys who never stick in the NHL. Besides that someone picked there is going to take several years to be a meaningful player IF they ever get there.

IF we can make a deal that significantly improves us, vaults us into the playoffs, and helps the club:

- earn extra revenue (could be put towards players)
- gain reputation as a winning org with the league (helps in signing players)
- and get our players playoff experience/ help build a winning atmosphere
- get us a leg up on re signing that rental if he likes it here, and we do well with him.

I think you ABSOLUTELY trade your 2nd/ 3rd rounders for that. We do have extras this year and though I understand the 'deep draft' and 'organizational depth building' arguments, I think an argument can be made that the bullet points I listed above make us a better organization now and in the future than drafting a couple of extra 'gambles'.

I know this board is called HOCKEY'S FUTURE but you can't endlessly be trying to replace established NHL players with shiny new pieces that can't play in the league *yet*. It's a balance.
Bolded and sized to stress my opinion.
It's all about balance, and Chevy I think is good with that.
His moto has always been to improve the team without mortgaging the future. While he may not be faultless, and almost everything a GM does involves making some gambles, I don't see him veering from that mindset.

EDIT:
I have to add I do think a large majority of the people here are pretty good with this (many better than I).

Old
03-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Wpgpage

Little + for Stastny? Not sure if COL bites but Sherman has been rumored to be a big Little fan. Don't think you make that deal until the off season but its interesting to think about anyway. Some quick capgeeking for reference on that those 9 forwards would cost.

FORWARDS
Evander Kane ($5.250m) / Paul Stastny ($6.600m) / Blake Wheeler ($4.200m)
Andrew Ladd ($4.400m) / Olli Jokinen ($4.500m) /
Mark Scheifele ($1.594m) /
James Wright ($0.650m) / Jim Slater ($1.600m) / Anthony Peluso ($0.750m)

------
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $29,544,167; BONUSES: $675,000
CAP SPACE (9-man roster): $35,430,833

Old
03-16-2013, 01:35 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgpage View Post
Little + for Stastny? Not sure if COL bites but Sherman has been rumored to be a big Little fan. Don't think you make that deal until the off season but its interesting to think about anyway. Some quick capgeeking for reference on that those 9 forwards would cost.

FORWARDS
Evander Kane ($5.250m) / Paul Stastny ($6.600m) / Blake Wheeler ($4.200m)
Andrew Ladd ($4.400m) / Olli Jokinen ($4.500m) /
Mark Scheifele ($1.594m) /
James Wright ($0.650m) / Jim Slater ($1.600m) / Anthony Peluso ($0.750m)

------
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $29,544,167; BONUSES: $675,000
CAP SPACE (9-man roster): $35,430,833
Absolutely not. Little+ for a soon to be UFA? I wouldn't trade Little alone for that...let alone add. Also...we need Little going into the the Playoffs. You need scoring depth, and trading Little turns this into a lateral trade and relatively pointless.

Stastny's value is at a low right now. Sherman has two centres that are currently pushing him out of a spot, and I doubt tht Stastny will take a reduction in pay to be a third line centre. He almost has to deal him, or risk not losing him for nothing.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:42 PM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
I really don't think St. Louis is an option. I personally have no time for lazy hockey players, and if Stewart's drive or w/e is on question...I have no interest in him.

Who exactly would we trade? Hainsey? I think we'll need the guy if we're talking playoffs here. We could trade Burmi, but his over abundance of skill and defensive abilities will be a real asset come play offs.
I agree with everything that you stated, but moving Hainsey will be considered if he is going to test free agency. I also see somebody like Stewart as a better asset both now and into the future than 2nd and 3rd round draft picks. If he didn't fit he could always be traded next year. Of course we don't know if he is on the table, but I wouldn't think it is a firm no. The teams have been scouting eachother quite a bit.

Old
03-16-2013, 02:02 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
I agree with everything that you stated, but moving Hainsey will be considered if he is going to test free agency. I also see somebody like Stewart as a better asset both now and into the future than 2nd and 3rd round draft picks. If he didn't fit he could always be traded next year. Of course we don't know if he is on the table, but I wouldn't think it is a firm no. The teams have been scouting eachother quite a bit.
I think moving Hains is considered if we aren't in the picture at the deadline...I don't think Chevy entertains this if we are though. That is the definition of setting this team up to fail.

Is also like to see him go after another top four Defenseman.

Old
03-16-2013, 02:04 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBogo View Post
I'd still love to have him. Someone would give him $6.6 if he hit the open market.

Old
03-16-2013, 02:07 PM
sully1410

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
I'd still love to have him. Someone would give him $6.6 if he hit the open market.
They'd be insane if they did. Who the hell gives almost seven million bucks in a lower cap scenario for a guy that has dropped to 55pts.

Closed Thread