HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan Whitney + 31-36 pick

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-11-2013, 04:43 PM
  #1
MPStoEberletoHall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,519
vCash: 500
Ryan Whitney + 31-36 pick

If the Oilers finish in the bottom 5. How high of a pick could this package get the oil? I was thinking 24-27

MPStoEberletoHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:44 PM
  #2
Joey Moss
Registered User
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 22,185
vCash: 226
He's a UFA. Even is he was signed you really think we can move up that much with Whitney when we can hardly get a late pick for him?

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:46 PM
  #3
Perro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,249
vCash: 500
I could see a top ten team giving up their first for Whitney plus the oilers 2nd. Only if the oilers continue to faulter.
I could see whitney as a rental being worth a decrease in draft posiiton by a few spots.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:46 PM
  #4
officeglen
Registered User
 
officeglen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 3,248
vCash: 500
you are dragging down the value of the pick by including Whitney

officeglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:47 PM
  #5
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
He's a UFA. Even is he was signed you really think we can move up that much with Whitney when we can hardly get a late pick for him?
You haven't been watching much recently, have you? Whitney seems to have turned the corner. It is pretty likely that Whitney's issues were related to not having a training camp and needing to adjust. He's played much better recently. I think a GM might have interest in a few weeks, if Whitney doesn't go back into the outhouse.

Keep in mind as well, that the OP is only suggesting we move up 10 spots or so, its not Whitney straight across for the 1st rounder. I don't think that's unrealistic, again, IF Whitney keeps up his good play.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:49 PM
  #6
Force951
Registered User
 
Force951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 2,353
vCash: 50
Vets+a high pick don't help you move up. Teams that want the Vet aren't going to care about the pick. While teams that want the pick aren't going to care about the vet.

Force951 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:50 PM
  #7
Joey Moss
Registered User
 
Joey Moss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 22,185
vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
You haven't been watching much recently, have you? Whitney seems to have turned the corner. It is pretty likely that Whitney's issues were related to not having a training camp and needing to adjust. He's played much better recently. I think a GM might have interest in a few weeks, if Whitney doesn't go back into the outhouse.

Keep in mind as well, that the OP is only suggesting we move up 10 spots or so, its not Whitney straight across for the 1st rounder. I don't think that's unrealistic, again, IF Whitney keeps up his good play.
I don't care how well he's playing.. UFA's rights usually get like a 5th round pick. There is no possible way we'd get a late 1st round pick from adding Whitney to our 2nd.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:52 PM
  #8
zeus3007*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 13,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I don't care how well he's playing.. UFA's rights usually get like a 5th round pick. There is no possible way we'd get a late 1st round pick from adding Whitney to our 2nd.
At the deadline, he has value I'm sure. Decent defensemen, at the deadline, always go good. By the time the deadline rolls around, we'll know if we're bottom 5 or not. And it shouldn't be hard to see what teams will be top 10 and looking for defense help. Deadline deal, Whitney and Edmonton's 2nd, for a top 10 teams 1st round pick.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:22 PM
  #9
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"
 
Blue Goose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 378
vCash: 500
I think what you fail to realize is that "trading up" at the draft is generally done on draft day, not before. A team is not going to trade for Whitney at the deadline and swap picks, since they won't know what number the picks will be at that time. If you want to trade Whitney at the deadline, expect a minimal return (3rd round pick; maybe a 2nd, if a Cup-contending team is desperate due to injuries, etc.).

After the season, Whitney's UFA rights won't be worth anything but a 4th/5th round pick in a separate deal on the day before the draft (or the day before Free Agency starts, if the pick is for next year's draft).

Blue Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:57 PM
  #10
Mystifo
Lol Doodle.
 
Mystifo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: YYT
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPStoEberletoHall View Post
If the Oilers finish in the bottom 5. How high of a pick could this package get the oil? I was thinking 24-27
Wow really man? Like I get it you want to have 1st overall every year but I figure you could at least pull out of the top 5 range this year.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:11 AM
  #11
MPStoEberletoHall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,519
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystifo View Post
Wow really man? Like I get it you want to have 1st overall every year but I figure you could at least pull out of the top 5 range this year.
We'll talk when draft day comes then. I don't want them in the bottom 5. I could for sure see it happening though

MPStoEberletoHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.