HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Guy Lafleur

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2005, 12:31 PM
arrbez
bad chi

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Guy Lafleur

I'm not old enough to have seen him play with Montreal, so i have a couple questions. How good was he, in the grand scheme of things. It seems that his legacy is more one of style than substance. i don't mean that as an insult, because his game obviously had a lot of substance too. i hope you understand what i'm trying to say here. So anyways, where would he rank with the best forwards ever? top 5, 10, 20? for comparisons sake, how would he rate against guys like Dionne or Trottier? Would he still be THE Guy Lafleur if he played for Winnipeg or Hartford or something?

Old
04-03-2005, 01:01 PM
KOVALEV10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrbez
I'm not old enough to have seen him play with Montreal, so i have a couple questions. How good was he, in the grand scheme of things. It seems that his legacy is more one of style than substance. i don't mean that as an insult, because his game obviously had a lot of substance too. i hope you understand what i'm trying to say here. So anyways, where would he rank with the best forwards ever? top 5, 10, 20? for comparisons sake, how would he rate against guys like Dionne or Trottier? Would he still be THE Guy Lafleur if he played for Winnipeg or Hartford or something?
Well I may be biased because I'm a Guy Lafleur fan and have got to see him play but the guy was a natural, he could deke with the best of him making guys look like 5 year olds, had an incredible shot on the wing and an acceleration and speed that would make you get out of your seat. I mean yes he was on stacked teams for the most part of his career but Lafleur was the best out of that team and if you take Lafleur out the habs dont win the 4 cups in a row. I would consider Lafleur in my top 10 for sure.

Top 10 forwards:
1- Mario Lemieux
2-Wayne Gretzky
3- Gordie Howe
4- Rocket Richard
5- Bobby Hull
6- Jean Beliveau
7- Guy Lafleur

He was the man of the 70-s. He reached his 1000th point in just 720 games (a record at that time). He scored 100 or more points and 50 or more goals for 6 straight seasons. In the playoffs he was even better. 26 points in 14 games. A Conn Smythe trophy. 3 art ross trophies, 2 Hart trophies, 3 Lester B pearson awards and the most exciting hockey player of all time.

Now about if he had played in another team. It's impossible to tell. He may have been considered like a Marcel Dionne who was a pretty damn good player himself or he might still have been considered THEE GUY LAFLEUR. Because anybody who followed the habs back then, knows that the pressure to perform was so hard. Lafleur would get 3 goals and someone would say why didnt you get 5. Maybe if he had played in a place like Pittsburgh or Hardford where there was no pressure to aboslutely win the cup or you're nothing he might've produced a lot more points then he did. If he hadn't smoked and drinked everyday that might've helped too.

Guy was ranked number 11 all time by the hockey news.

1. Wayne Gretzky, C
2. Bobby Orr, D
3. Gordie Howe, RW
4. Mario Lemieux, C
5. Maurice Richard, RW
6. Doug Harvey, D
7. Jean Beliveau, C
8. Bobby Hull, LW
9. Terry Sawchuk, G
10. Eddie Shore, D
11. Guy Lafleur, RW

If you're talking about forwards then if you take out the defensemen and goalie, he's clearly number 7 forward of all time just like my list.

Last edited by KOVALEV10: 04-03-2005 at 01:07 PM.
Old
04-05-2005, 02:46 AM
KOVALEV10*

I'm sure the thread starter would like to get more thoughts and I'm sure most of the posters in HF wouldn't let the biggest Lafleur fan in here have the last word eh?

Old
04-05-2005, 02:52 AM
monkey_00*

Guy was my favorite player when I was a kid.........even though I grew up with the Leafs and the Sabres.

Old
04-05-2005, 09:53 AM
Rather Gingerly 1*

For 5 or 6 years Lafleur was the best player in the game. From about 1975 to 1980. He was very electricifying. One of those few players who could bring the crowd to their feet when he touched the puck. I think Kovalev 10 accessment is very accurate. As the 7th best forward of all-time, I would agree.

Certainly the best player I have ever seen play for the Habs. But I never seen Beliveau play in his prime

Old
04-05-2005, 12:50 PM
mcphee

For 6 years he was as good as it gets. His career was funny, 3 good years, 6 great years, 3 good years then the extended comeback tour. Great player on a great team. It's a fair question as to how he would have done drafted by someone else. Lafleur made his teammates better, but the opposite applies too. He would have been a hof'er anywhere, but he had the perfect situation for an elite player. He had elite players to play with.

Old
04-05-2005, 05:44 PM
Big Phil

Yeah for sure he'd be a Hall of Famer wherever he played. He had Steve Shutt score 60 goals once in a year! Nothing against Shutt but he was probably a 30 goal man without Guy.

Closed Thread