HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Best Cup Team of the past 10 years #2

View Poll Results: Which is the best team?
2003 Devils 15 11.19%
2004 Lightning 1 0.75%
2006 Hurricanes 1 0.75%
2007 Ducks 48 35.82%
2008 Red Wings 19 14.18%
2009 Penguins 6 4.48%
2010 Blackhawks 35 26.12%
2011 Bruins 6 4.48%
2012 Kings 3 2.24%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-13-2013, 07:18 AM
  #26
g3ryder
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: California
Posts: 418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
Right back at you. You're probably right about the 09 team coasting a bit. This was a team, especially when Hossa signed, that was favored to win back-to-back Cups. It was literally a Cup or bust scenario. A lot of teams say that, but was it ever more realistic than with that team in recent memory?

In addition, practically everybody on the roster except Hossa and Conklin had just won a Cup. So it is quite possible that the overall team hunger wasn't exactly the same.

But without all of that said, it still comes down to executing vs potential for me, and the 2008 team executed better, both in the regular season and the postseason.
I think that's the quintessential Cup or bust team in recent memory, the team that was most stacked and had nothing to prove other than another Cup.

The only team that I can compare to the 09 Red Wings in recent memory is from the NBA, the 03-04 Lakers, that added Karl Malone and Gary Payton, to the Shaq and Kobe core, and went title or nothing.

I'm with you when it comes to execution, but in regards to this thread, if we're talking about the best Cup teams, I have a hard time picking the Wings off the bat, when I know that there was a team the very next year that was at almost the exact same level, if not better, and still lost the Cup.

Ironically though, I also think that the 08 Pens were better than the 09 Pens, even though they lost Cup (I guess that helps your point haha).

g3ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:26 AM
  #27
SashaSemin28
Because Its The Caps
 
SashaSemin28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lancs, England.
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,069
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to SashaSemin28
For me it was a toss up between the 03 Devils, 07 Ducks and 08 Wings, and I have decided to go for the 07 Ducks, for the team it had in the salary cap era and how well it played was captivating, and I really did fancy the Sens in that series whilst in both 03 and 08, I expected the Devils and Wings respectively to win against Anaheim and Pittsburgh, not the most solid reasoning I know.

(Even though I can't vote in the poll XD)

If I had to rank each team in order
1 - 07 Ducks
2 - 03 Devils
3 - 08 Wings
4 - 09 Penguins
5 - 06 Hurricanes
6 - 10 Blackhawks
7 - 11 Bruins
8 - 12 Kings
9 - 04 Lightning


Last edited by SashaSemin28: 03-13-2013 at 07:29 AM. Reason: grammatical errors.
SashaSemin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:16 PM
  #28
pdd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
2008 Wings narrowly over Ducks, Hawks, and Devils.

Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Lidström all in their prime. 2nd best LW, 2nd best C, and best D in the league.
Lots of secondary scoring: Franzen, Holmstrom, Filppula, Cleary, Samuelsson, Hudler
Competent goaltending from Osgood, with Hasek also on the team.
Babcock as coach.
Competent goaltending? He was getting Vezina votes even though he split the season down the middle with Hasek (who got no Vezina votes). He started the All-Star game (selected for his play, started when Luongo declined to instead be with his pregnant wife.) He posted playoff numbers that were Roy level.

But yeah, competent. We'll go with that. Sure.

Quote:
Those Wings were not only winning games but dominating teams. Their puck possession style meant they'd just get chance after chance after chance against you, and it would take a great defensive and goaltending performance to beat that team. The Penguins had won 7 games in a row to start the playoffs, finished 12-2 against the East. Then they ran into the Wings, and got their butts handed to them 3-0, 4-0 to start the series.

Even when the Wings lost, they usually kept it close ...

Multiple-goal losses, regular season and playoffs
7 - 08 Wings
12 - 07 Ducks
13 - 03 Devils
14 - 10 Hawks

This is what sets the Wings above the other great teams of the era, IMO. They never took a night off. You could beat them, but they weren't going down without a fight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3ryder View Post
Only reason I didn't pick the Red Wings is because I actually think their team the following year (2009) that lost to the Penguins was actually better. It was basically the same team, plus Hossa.
Except in the finals, Datsyuk, Lidstrom, and Hossa were all playing through injury. Datsyuk and Lidstrom would have been healthy, but the finals were moved up, cheating the Wings out of needed rest. Hossa was playing through a shoulder injury (he would go on to have surgery) that was preventing him from being a significant goal-scoring threat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyBluesFan View Post
03 Devils had:
A top 3 Goalie of all time in his prime - Brodeur
3 of the top 10 defensemen in the NHL - Stevens, Rafalski and Niedermeyer
None of them were top ten in Norris or All-Star voting. Hard to claim "three top-ten defensemen" if the top ten-plus Norris vote-getters are on other teams.

Quote:
One of the top 5 wingers in the NHL - Elias
Not that season.

[quote]One of the best defensive centers of all time - Madden

Ok, this I can give you.

Quote:
They had a ridiculous 7 shutouts in the playoffs
I'll take the 03 Devils


Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
On paper they looked better, but in reality they weren't at all. And anybody who watched only a handful of games between the two teams knew that. 09 Detroit still could have won the Cup without injuries, but their team play wasn't as strong as in 08.
Quote:
Originally Posted by g3ryder View Post
You make several very good points, many of which are hard to argue against. I think one of the things that stands out to me about the 09 Wings is that when a team is that offensively dominant, as they were, it seems like other parts of their game suffer. Not because they can't be good in those other aspects, but because they feel like they can outscore anyone they play against.

The 09 Wings had 11 guys with 40 points or more, 5 20 goal-scorers, 3 50-point defensemen, and a better power-play (than the 08 team) at 24.7%.

And I guess the one thing I just can't get over, regardless of their numbers, is that the 08 and the 09 teams are essentially the same. Except for the fact that the 09 team added Marian Hossa, one of the 15-20 best players of the past 8-10 years.

The lesser defensive numbers and the lower regular season point total are, to me, the reflection of a team so good, and so talented that they "got through" the regular season, with their focus being entirely on the playoffs. That kind of mindset, which happens on occasion with some super teams, causes teams to play at a lower level than they are capable of.
The lesser defensive numbers are primarily a reflection of Chris Osgood at the end of his career; after 2008 he wasn't nearly as good in the regular season as he had been before. He even *gasp* had a losing season in 09-10! But he was still money in the playoffs. Despite what the stats say, he was better in the 09 playoffs than in the 08 playoffs.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:42 PM
  #29
ashenhigh
Registered User
 
ashenhigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 1,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post

People fell in love with Anaheim's toughness and style of play which always gets them slightly overrated IMO. Don't get me wrong, they were a great team. They had 2 of the 3 best defenceman in the game, the best checking line in the NHL that season, two solid scoring lines with Selanne/Mac and the kid's line (they were kids though), and a rough and rigid 4th line that was used here and there. Giguere was very solid as well.

But when I compare them to 08 Detroit, it's hard to look past the fact of the 2007 WCF and then see how much better 08 Detroit got.

First let's look at the 2007 series:
Anaheim ends up winning in 6, but this was the only series that you watched and truly thought Anaheim could and probably would lose. Detroit led in the series twice (1-0 and 2-1) and was on the verge of being up 3-2 before the mess of the infamous game 5. Detroit outshot Anaheim that series and the was all without 2 of their top 4 defenceman (Kronwall and Schneider who missed due to injury
Because of that epic 2007 WCF, which a very beat up Red Wings team barely loss to the "big bad" ducks, who no doubt would have won had we been healthy, I voted 2008 Red wings. I just don't see how the 2007 ducks can be better than the 2008 Red Wings when the 2007 Red Wings barely lost to them. That and the eye test, 2008 Red Wings were an absolute treat to watch.


Lol at the 2010 Blackhawks having so many votes.

ashenhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.