HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Buying new skates

Old
03-11-2013, 10:38 PM
marc0polo

vCash: 500
Buying new skates

Hey guys, need some help.

I've just taken up skating, and I'm really enjoying it, but I still haven't gotten my first pair of skates. Anyways I'm trying to decide between the Easton EQ20 and Easton EQ3(an older line), as they're both on sale at the same price.

Which pair is a better skate?
I'm assuming they both fit them same...?

marc0polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:40 PM
AIREAYE

I know you're new, but take a look at what's already here before you post. Check the stickies at the top.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:47 PM
NYRSinceBirth

I'll cliff note the threads for you: If you're looking for a pair of skates and have no idea what to get, you have to go try a bunch of different kinds on. Each company and even different levels of lines will feel different.

Now, if you only worry about those two specific skates, look at some of the skate threads around here. But again, choosing skates based solely on sale prices/online availability with no prior knowledge of what fits you, you're bound ot make a mistake.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:54 PM
marc0polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Check the stickies at the top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
look at some of the skate threads around here.
Thanks heaps for your speedy replies.
I've actually been lurking around MANY different ice hockey forums, checking out youtube vids (the pencil test?) and I've been into my LHS to try on a couple of different brands and their respective fits. Thats why I've narrowed it down to the Easton Synergy line.

But in terms of specs, its hard to find threads that compare those two specifically

What do you guys think?

Old
03-11-2013, 11:13 PM
AIREAYE

The EQ3 is one step above the EQ20. I suggest that you return to your LHS and double check the fit. If you still like them, buy them there and get them baked.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:15 PM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc0polo View Post
Thanks heaps for your speedy replies.
I've actually been lurking around MANY different ice hockey forums, checking out youtube vids (the pencil test?) and I've been into my LHS to try on a couple of different brands and their respective fits. Thats why I've narrowed it down to the Easton Synergy line.

But in terms of specs, its hard to find threads that compare those two specifically

What do you guys think?
If you're sure the fit will be manageable, you can't go wrong with either as a beginner. I have the EQ5s, and the 3s are only two below, so I imagine it's a sufficient skate for you and may even be cheaper (older model). My EQ5s have held up, but I can't really speak in terms of durability for the 3s.

If you feel comfortable with how the line fits, you can go for it, but you risk differences in how each model fits (I'm not sure if the 20 is the successor of the 3 or the 2, and different model series might mean changes in fit). I still won't condone blindly purchasing the skate online, but if you've done your homework and feel confident, you could go for it (I tried on EQ3s years ago, and blindly bought the EQ5s on sale last year and was fine, but that's not to be expected).

Also, it would be advisable to buy from the shop where you tried them on. If there's any problems or need any fitment issues fixed (Punch, stretch, bake) you'll have a shop that will most likely do them for you. It's just good business to not use one shop as a fitting room then buying somewhere else, we have to support our local shops. It may be different in your area, but if you bought skates from me, I'd help them fit for free.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:36 PM
marc0polo

Thanks again!

Still deciding, but when I do, maybe I'll post up pics when I get them