HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - XXXV

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-12-2013, 04:46 PM
  #251
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,679
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post
Jason Pomminville would be a dream on the 2nd line.

1st + Booth?
I would do this in a heartbeat. Pominville has great skill, speed, and would be great in the shootout as well. His shot is deadly.

__________________
May 17, 2014: The day nightlife changes in Vancouver...ask me how.
y2kcanucks is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 04:46 PM
  #252
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,778
vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
doesnt he have a NTC?
He can provide an 8-team no-trade list. But if Buffalo is pulling the plug on the season then they'll likely be looking to be sellers at the deadline.

1st + B prospect + Booth would be ideal for me, but I'd be willing to overpay a bit, too.

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Old
03-12-2013, 04:47 PM
  #253
opendoor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,748
vCash: 500
The Hossa buyout was purely Brooks' speculation. He didn't even try to suggest that a source told him that it was a plan.

opendoor is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 04:48 PM
  #254
Linden
[hello] :)
 
Linden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 36,055
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
He can provide an 8-team no-trade list. But if Buffalo is pulling the plug on the season then they'll likely be looking to be sellers at the deadline.

1st + B prospect + Booth would be ideal for me, but I'd be willing to overpay a bit, too.
at his 5.3 mil contract I would assume that we would need to move Booth + out, but I don't think Buffalo makes that trade

Linden is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 04:49 PM
  #255
Taelin
Moderator
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
at his 5.3 mil contract I would assume that we would need to move Booth + out, but I don't think Buffalo makes that trade
Not a chance. You'd probably be looking at a 1st + good young foward.

Taelin is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 04:50 PM
  #256
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Brooks speculated yesterday that the Hawks may buy him out in the off-season. I think it's absolutely insane, but if it happens then I'd jump all over that.
Brooks is an idiot. I didn't bother commenting when you brought this up yesterday but its stupidity IMO.

I don't think buying out a player with a great cap hit (that is a huge part of their current roster) for $32 million, makes any sense.

I realize there will be a penalty tacked on to the end of his contract, but do you honestly believe the owner would stroke a check for $32million, just to get rid of his potential cap penalty when it will likely cost $7.5m/yr to replace Hossa in free agency.

It's a 'pie in the sky', slow news day piece by Brooksy at best.

arsmaster is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 04:52 PM
  #257
Linden
[hello] :)
 
Linden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 36,055
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Not a chance. You'd probably be looking at a 1st + good young foward.
sorry, should of elaborated on my post, I think we would need to send Kassian/Jensen + there and probably dump booth for nothing to make the cap fit.

Linden is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 04:55 PM
  #258
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Not a chance. You'd probably be looking at a 1st + good young foward.
Pominville isn't the type of forward you do that for IMO.

Wrong side of 30, small, not that hard to play against.

Not an ideal acquisition IMO.

We need to get impact players under 27 IMO.

arsmaster is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 04:58 PM
  #259
thepuckmonster
professional winner
 
thepuckmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Pominville isn't the type of forward you do that for IMO.

Wrong side of 30, small, not that hard to play against.

Not an ideal acquisition IMO.

We need to get impact players under 27 IMO.
I think Pomminville is criminally underrated but yeah, he's not the type we'd want to acquire. Costs too much.

thepuckmonster is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 05:05 PM
  #260
Taelin
Moderator
Resident Hipster
 
Taelin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
sorry, should of elaborated on my post, I think we would need to send Kassian/Jensen + there and probably dump booth for nothing to make the cap fit.
Sadly, it would take Jensen+ to get the Sabres to part with their captain...might as well consider Vanek when you're at that sort of price.

Taelin is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 05:10 PM
  #261
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)
 
Nuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In front of computer
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,450
vCash: 50
I wouldn't be surprised if the Sabres want Jensen + 1st + Booth/Raymond for Pominville, which is too much to give up IMO.

__________________

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Nuckles is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 05:12 PM
  #262
Wheatley
We Rabite You
 
Wheatley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
sorry, should of elaborated on my post, I think we would need to send Kassian/Jensen + there and probably dump booth for nothing to make the cap fit.
Dumping Booth in any way, shape or form should be a priority for this team.

Wheatley is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 05:16 PM
  #263
Linden
[hello] :)
 
Linden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 36,055
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the Sabres want Jensen + 1st + Booth/Raymond for Pominville, which is too much to give up IMO.
wouldn't surprise me either

Linden is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 05:16 PM
  #264
Edler Von Gud
Registered User
 
Edler Von Gud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,777
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
Dumping Booth in any way, shape or form should be a priority for this team.
Not sure we lose much replacing him with Jensen next year

Edler Von Gud is online now  
Old
03-12-2013, 05:17 PM
  #265
Linden
[hello] :)
 
Linden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 36,055
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
Dumping Booth in any way, shape or form should be a priority for this team.
I would give him until the summer unless the right guy comes along this year

Linden is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 05:21 PM
  #266
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)
 
Nuckles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In front of computer
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,450
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
I would give him until the summer unless the right guy comes along this year
Yep.
I want to see how he and Kassian do with a decent center in between them. They've looked pretty good on the same line.

Nuckles is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 05:21 PM
  #267
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 15,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
I think Pomminville is criminally underrated but yeah, he's not the type we'd want to acquire. Costs too much.
I'm not sure about 'criminally underrated'. He's a good player. A 1st line player.

He's compensated well. I'd say he's maybe 'unheralded' around the league, but people know who and what he is.

Guys that would be good to target (although I'd say these deals are largely unrealistic due to who owns their rights) are:

Berglund, STL
Hornqvist, NSH
Steward, STL
Wheeler,WPG

or some younger guys looking to breakout (also unrealistic)

Clifford, LA
Henrique, NJ

Probably unrealistic like I already said, but those are the types of guys we need to target - youngish, big bodied, and energetic.

arsmaster is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 05:53 PM
  #268
Linden
[hello] :)
 
Linden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 36,055
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Yep.
I want to see how he and Kassian do with a decent center in between them. They've looked pretty good on the same line.
agreed, if we cant find a good use of the 4 mil then I would rather have Booth there in hopes that he finds his scoring touch than have empty cap space laying around

Linden is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 05:58 PM
  #269
Bleach Clean
Registered User
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 13,992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I'm not sure about 'criminally underrated'. He's a good player. A 1st line player.

He's compensated well. I'd say he's maybe 'unheralded' around the league, but people know who and what he is.

Guys that would be good to target (although I'd say these deals are largely unrealistic due to who owns their rights) are:

Berglund, STL
Hornqvist, NSH
Steward, STL
Wheeler,WPG

or some younger guys looking to breakout (also unrealistic)

Clifford, LA
Henrique, NJ

Probably unrealistic like I already said, but those are the types of guys we need to target - youngish, big bodied, and energetic.


Eller. Henrique isn't big, but I get your point. Hard to play against.

Couturier. Goc. Nelson. We must has Cs.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 06:42 PM
  #270
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 9,257
vCash: 250
Couturier can't seriously be on the move can he? Guy's only 20 and should turn into a two-way force. Would love for us to acquire him if PHI did choose to not go with Bryz anymore.

But we need another center anyway.

vanuck is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 06:50 PM
  #271
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...
 
LiquidSnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,424
vCash: 883
Not sure about bringing in players that have flourished in the East. They tend to suck in the West with some exceptions such as Thornton.

LiquidSnake is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 06:56 PM
  #272
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,564
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Not sure about bringing in players that have flourished in the East. They tend to suck in the West with some exceptions such as Thornton.
Yeah because the West is so much faster and better...

monster_bertuzzi is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 07:05 PM
  #273
Finkle is Einhorn
Registered User
 
Finkle is Einhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 11,448
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Not sure about bringing in players that have flourished in the East. They tend to suck in the West with some exceptions such as Thornton.
I haven't noticed enough of a trend either way to support that claim. For every Heatley and Bouwmeester there's a Carter and Hossa.

Finkle is Einhorn is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 07:11 PM
  #274
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 9,257
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkle is Einhorn View Post
I haven't noticed enough of a trend either way to support that claim. For every Heatley and Bouwmeester there's a Carter and Hossa.
Yep, thought of Carter as an example. Hossa would be another good one. But they both have the size + defensive game, so there might be something to that.

vanuck is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 07:31 PM
  #275
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,778
vCash: 5100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the Sabres want Jensen + 1st + Booth/Raymond for Pominville, which is too much to give up IMO.
I would be willing to give up Booth + 1st + Gaunce/Lack for Pominville. Should at least be a competitive offer.

Vankiller Whale is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.