HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - XXXV

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2013, 06:03 PM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amused To Death View Post
Raymond is a UFA though, with Goc signed to another cheap year, and Florida is weak in the middle with Weiss out. I think we would have to include a pivot or a bit of an overpayment if we were to get Goc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Yeah that does nothing for Florida. I don't think they'd trade any of those three pieces for Raymond + Sweatt, let alone two of them.

FLA is not weak down the middle. They will be graduating Bjugstad next year. They've already brought up Shore, and I have a feeling they'll re-sign Weiss. That's Bjugstad-(maybe)Huberdeau-Weiss-Shore-Goc-Matthias-Smithson down the middle. Centre ice will fast become a surplus position for them.

To think Raymond does nothing for a team as goal-starved at FLA can often be, is faulty logic indeed. And what is Howden that is more valuable than Raymond? Prospects are severely overrated here I think.

I will revise the offer:

Raymond + Sweatt for Goc + Smithson

(A 2nd line LW + low end prospect for a 3C + 4C) The premise being that Goc alone is not enough for Raymond. Even a pending UFA Raymond which they could easily re-sign (something the deal is dependent upon).

Old
03-16-2013, 06:06 PM
K2B
dim jim

vCash: 50
Bjugstad is gonna be a stud mark my words. Wish we could have moved up in the draft and acquired him instead of trading the pick for Ballard. But hey it's easy for me to say that now.

Old
03-16-2013, 06:15 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
The premise being that Goc alone is not enough for Raymond.
I would say the Canucks need Goc more than the Panthers need Raymond. Because of this, a Raymond for Goc swap seems about right. Goc having an extra year on his contract and being a centre also makes up for the fact Raymond is probably the better player.

If the Canucks don't intend on re-signing Raymond then this would be a smart deal for Gillis to make IMO. If another deal presents itself for a 2nd/3rd line centre there is still cap space to get it done. Just move Goc down to the 4th line. It's a big advantage not having any lines that need to be sheltered come playoff time.

Old
03-16-2013, 06:28 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
To think Raymond does nothing for a team as goal-starved at FLA can often be, is faulty logic indeed. And what is Howden that is more valuable than Raymond? Prospects are severely overrated here I think.
To think the last place team in the league would be interested in trading away a good prospect for 1.5 months of Raymond is also faulty logic.

Old
03-16-2013, 06:32 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
To think the last place team in the league would be interested in trading away a good prospect for 1.5 months of Raymond is also faulty logic.

For your benefit:

Quote:
(A 2nd line LW + low end prospect for a 3C + 4C) The premise being that Goc alone is not enough for Raymond. Even a pending UFA Raymond which they could easily re-sign (something the deal is dependent upon).
The point is that FLA has first crack at signing him, and don't compete with other teams in FA to get him. Were they to do so, they would be unlikely to land him. The extra piece to Goc would could be conditional to that, but Goc is not enough, even for an unsigned Raymond --> that can still be re-signed by FLA. I'd do Raymond+ for Goc and a conditional+ based on MayRay re-signing.

Old
03-16-2013, 06:51 PM
keslerburrows

I hope we get Roy. That'd do wonders for this team.

Old
03-16-2013, 07:01 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
For your benefit:

The point is that FLA has first crack at signing him, and don't compete with other teams in FA to get him. Were they to do so, they would be unlikely to land him. The extra piece to Goc would could be conditional to that, but Goc is not enough, even for an unsigned Raymond --> that can still be re-signed by FLA. I'd do Raymond+ for Goc and a conditional+ based on MayRay re-signing.
I just don't think Florida has any interest in Raymond. Just giving my opinion on the proposal, don't let it stop you from speculating.

Old
03-16-2013, 07:06 PM
King of the ES*

Quote:
I will revise the offer:

Raymond + Sweatt for Goc + Smithson

I really don't understand all of the Marcel Goc talk that seems to be surrounding the Canucks. He's about exactly the type of guy that we should avoid. He's a floater, has almost zero playoff experience, and is basically just a body who doesn't do anything particularly well.

Mason Raymond is a useful player that the Canucks should've tried to sign to a long-term deal in the off-season. I said many times on Canucks.com that I'd rather have him than David Booth, and I stand by that to this day. Now, due to our GM lacking any sort of foresight and an understanding of market principles, Raymond's almost surely going to walk and cash in somewhere else. Really unfortunate.

Old
03-16-2013, 07:28 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
I just don't think Florida has any interest in Raymond. Just giving my opinion on the proposal, don't let it stop you from speculating.

The speculation is based on a lack of scoring for FLA. In that vain, how can Raymond be unnecessary to them?

I seem to also recall Tallon's interest in Raymond and/or Samuelsson a while back, prior the Booth deal. I wonder if anyone remembers that? He's been on the radar there for a while.

Old
03-16-2013, 07:34 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
I really don't understand all of the Marcel Goc talk that seems to be surrounding the Canucks. He's about exactly the type of guy that we should avoid. He's a floater, has almost zero playoff experience, and is basically just a body who doesn't do anything particularly well.

Mason Raymond is a useful player that the Canucks should've tried to sign to a long-term deal in the off-season. I said many times on Canucks.com that I'd rather have him than David Booth, and I stand by that to this day. Now, due to our GM lacking any sort of foresight and an understanding of market principles, Raymond's almost surely going to walk and cash in somewhere else. Really unfortunate.

First, completely disagree with your second paragraph. There's so much wrong there that I'm not sure if breaking it down is even worth it. I will say though that they could not commit long-term to Raymond considering the type of season he had. Not prudent at all.

Next, this is the first time I've seen Goc referred to as a "floater". He's a grinding player that is hard to play against over 200ft. Something many of the options here do not represent. He's a full 200 foot player. Good on the draw, and can be hard matched against the opposition's best players. Essentially, he's another Malhotra with a bit more offense. That's a very valuable player to have.

Old
03-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Al Swearengen
Smug Nation National

Quote:

First - you're right about Mason Raymond. We should try to keep him. I'd be happy to be keep paying him what he's making or a little more to give us a 2nd line fill-in/3rd line stud/valuable PKer/2nd-line PP option. Him going to free agency makes me nervous and I think its imperative that Gillis gets him resigned before Raymond gets a good look at his options.

Second - I think you're wrong about Goc. You say "floater", but I see a guy with a very high hockey IQ who makes basically no mistakes. I think if you ask Preds fans, they'll tell you he is missed, especially at 1.7m for another season after this one. Plus if Goc was playing with some combination of Raymond, Higgins and Hansen, that would represent the best talent he's ever had at his wings.

Old
03-16-2013, 07:43 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
The speculation is based on a lack of scoring for FLA. In that vain, how can Raymond be unnecessary to them?

I seem to also recall Tallon's interest in Raymond and/or Samuelsson a while back, prior the Booth deal. I wonder if anyone remembers that? He's been on the radar there for a while.
Because even if they pick up Crosby they aren't making the playoffs this year. They're 10 points out with 20 games left and have to leapfrog 7 teams. Like I said, I just don't think they're interested in adding UFA's.

Unless that conditional pick is a 1st, Goc is worth more to them than a conditional 2014 pick and negotiating rights to Raymond. IMO they'd rather trade him for a guaranteed 2013 2nd + average prospect/late pick than trade for your deal.

If you want to propose a trade with Raymond leaving and Goc coming in it would make more sense to send Raymond to a contender in a three-way deal.

Old
03-16-2013, 07:49 PM
me2
Team Ben Anti-Tank 0

vCash: 93
I'd love Goc as our 4C. $1.7m per year for this year and next is barely more than Lappy, and he can legitimately move up if there at injuries. He's better than that but at that price perfect for it.

Old
03-16-2013, 07:50 PM
King of the ES*

Quote:
First, completely disagree with your second paragraph. There's so much wrong there that I'm not sure if breaking it down is even worth it. I will say though that they could not commit long-term to Raymond considering the type of season he had. Not prudent at all.

Next, this is the first time I've seen Goc referred to as a "floater". He's a grinding player that is hard to play against over 200ft. Something many of the options here do not represent. He's a full 200 foot player. Good on the draw, and can be hard matched against the opposition's best players. Essentially, he's another Malhotra with a bit more offense. That's a very valuable player to have.
The time to invest in guys is when their value is low, not when it's high. If you invest in guys when they're high, you suddenly find yourself giving 6-year contracts to 4th defencemen like Garrison. The smart, "bold" move would've been for Mike to lock down Raymond for a few years, at roughly the cap hit that he's got now, maybe a little higher. 3 years, $9M, for example. He would've looked very smart in doing so, much like he looked very smart in giving Burrows 4 years and $8M back in 2008.

As for Goc, he's not going to get points, he's not going to be physical. He's not a grizzled vet with a lot of playoff experience. He's just a body. He'd probably add roughly as much value as Pahlsson did last year, which was minimal.

Old
03-16-2013, 07:54 PM
King of the ES*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Swearengen View Post
First - you're right about Mason Raymond. We should try to keep him. I'd be happy to be keep paying him what he's making or a little more to give us a 2nd line fill-in/3rd line stud/valuable PKer/2nd-line PP option. Him going to free agency makes me nervous and I think its imperative that Gillis gets him resigned before Raymond gets a good look at his options.
Good luck with that. There will be a lot of interest in Mason Raymond on July 1st, who should be just about entering his prime 3 - 4 years.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him even double his salary. He would be a fool to not test the market.

Old
03-16-2013, 08:00 PM
timw33

Quote:
Good luck with that. There will be a lot of interest in Mason Raymond on July 1st, who should be just about entering his prime 3 - 4 years.

It wouldn't surprise me to see him even double his salary. He would be a fool to not test the market.
I agree, if Raymond test's the market he can probably get 4M+ from someone.

Old
03-16-2013, 08:05 PM
LiquidSnake*

Ron Maclean and Friedman just said the Canucks and Rangers had discussions about Gaborik but nothing from it.

Old
03-16-2013, 08:06 PM
MajorCanuck
Cup Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Ron Maclean and Friedman just said the Canucks and Rangers had discussions about Gaborik but nothing from it.
ya no thanks

Old
03-16-2013, 08:07 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Makes sense. He's got that beautiful house in West Van just sitting there empty.

Old
03-16-2013, 08:10 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
I agree, if Raymond test's the market he can probably get 4M+ from someone.
Doubt it.

Market value for average players should be dropping.

No one will pay 4+ Million for a tweener.

If we want to re-sign him he will re-sign here for under 3.5

Old
03-16-2013, 08:12 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Will cost the moon and contract is a gigantic handcuff for us. No thanks.

Old
03-16-2013, 08:12 PM
King of the ES*

Quote:
Interesting. Great idea for the Canucks, IMO. Fills an obvious need.

But I think a guy like Gaborik would actually attract a lot of interest around the league. Only 1 year left on his deal after this one. Not sure what we have that the Rangers would want.

Old
03-16-2013, 08:14 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Not that I claim to be an expert on the Rangers or anything but it seems they need a puck moving defenseman on that squad. Their blueline is more than decent defensively but not all that great offensively. An imbalance seems to be there.

Maybe they want Ballard.

Old
03-16-2013, 08:15 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Not that I claim to be an expert on the Rangers or anything but it seems they need a puck moving defenseman on that squad. Their blueline is more than decent defensively but not all that great offensively. An imbalance seems to be there.

Maybe they want Ballard.
Del Zotto is quite good at moving the puck usually, and McDonagh as well.

Torts system is just ****y all over.

Old
03-16-2013, 08:17 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
Del Zotto is quite good at moving the puck usually, and McDonagh as well.

Torts system is just ****y all over.
They're allright I suppose, but IMHO, they need someone more dynamic back there.

Closed Thread