HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - XXXV

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2013, 09:00 PM
Bleach Clean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
I'm not saying sell the farm for Gaborik, but Booth and something else decent is a no brainer.
I wouldn't. I imagine that's why the conversation was short between the two GMs (reportedly). No fit here.

Old
03-16-2013, 09:05 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I wouldn't. I imagine that's why the conversation was short between the two GMs (reportedly). No fit here.
Yeah, if Gillis offered Booth that would be a very short conversation.

Dumping Booth for crap is one thing. Getting back a bonafide star is another. That would never happen.

Old
03-16-2013, 09:08 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Yeah, if Gillis offered Booth that would be a very short conversation.

Dumping Booth for crap is one thing. Getting back a bonafide star is another. That would never happen.
Haha. Totally.

Old
03-16-2013, 09:11 PM
trbr86

As I said in another thread, If New York is open to trading Gaborik, I think they begin by asking for Burrows as the centerpiece. Vancouver is never going to land a star by simply dumping Booth's contract.

Old
03-16-2013, 09:12 PM
tantalum

Another day, another 4 goals behind leaf goaltenders.

Old
03-16-2013, 09:17 PM
Bleach Clean

So instead of wasting time on something that would _never_ happen, what do people think about Ballard to NYI or OTT for pure futures? I think both teams would have interest. As would perhaps WPG, but less so.

Prospects of interest would be Noeson and Nelson, obviously. But maybe they move something off their roster?

Old
03-16-2013, 10:16 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
The Sabres have Ryan Miller and Jhonas Enroth. No need for Schneider.
Enroth is terrible.

Old
03-16-2013, 10:41 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
I thought it was short because the Rangers didn't want to absorb any of his cap hit. As things progess and a goalie trade/Ballard/Booth get moved clearing cap space then things might change.

Old
03-16-2013, 10:46 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
I thought it was short because the Rangers didn't want to absorb any of his cap hit. As things progess and a goalie trade/Ballard/Booth get moved clearing cap space then things might change.
I'm guessing that the reason the Canucks want them to absorb some of his cap hit is for next season more than for this one. Putting Manny on LTIR and moving some other pieces around (plus waiting closer to the trade deadline), we could fit in Gaborik this season quite easily.

Old
03-16-2013, 10:52 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Even if we get rid of Lu, Ballard and Booth it would still only leave us with $10M to sign 11 players. It's not happening.

Old
03-16-2013, 11:03 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

For this year perhaps. Next year it's as Stringer alludes, not good for the depth. I know they'll be tons of mock line-ups made now to prove otherwise. But said mocks will attempt to promote far lesser pieces as equal depth solutions.

Old
03-16-2013, 11:10 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
For this year perhaps. Next year it's as Stringer alludes, not good for the depth. I know they'll be tons of mock line-ups made now to prove otherwise. But said mocks will attempt to promote far lesser pieces as equal depth solutions.
Cap hit can be absorbed for more than 1 year, I believe.

Old
03-16-2013, 11:21 PM
Just another pawn

vCash: 1350
I said this in the GDT, but we should get a fair idea where this team is heading after the homestretch. If we're out of playoff contention, I'd rather GMMG stand pat, and not trade away the farm, or draft picks for mediocre stop-gap players. Unfortunately we don't possess the assets to really "retool".....so we're really ****ed either way.

Players under contract after this season (trade bait):
Ballard
Luongo
Booth

Upcoming UFA's
Lappiere
Raymond
Higgins

Old
03-16-2013, 11:59 PM
LightningBurrows
ThreatLevelMidnight

vCash: 93
In my opinion the team it self is pretty stale they need a shakeup, whether it be a coaching change, a trade or calling up one of our prospects from the AHL something needs to happen. Having Ballard scratched every night it a waste of an asset AV needs to get over his hate on for Ballard because he doesn't seem to realize Alberts is ****. If AV isn't going to play him then Gillis should trade him for someone who AV willl play. Also, One of Luongo or Schneider needs to be traded soon, we need offensive scoring depth, especially if Booth and Kesler keep getting injured.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:03 AM
David71

time to sell of some guys? who are ufas if the nucks continue to slide.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:08 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
time to sell of some guys? who are ufas if the nucks continue to slide.
I think its time to sell. Period.

Rent some guys out and tank it. Has a tank job of this calibre ever been done before ?

Old
03-17-2013, 12:09 AM
David71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post

Rent some guys out and tank it. Has a tank job of this calibre ever been done before ?
don't know. but its worth a try?

Old
03-17-2013, 12:14 AM
MajorCanuck
Cup Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
don't know. but its worth a try?
I dont see the downside to be honest. The Sedins are 33, and far and out the most important pieces we have on the team. I really don't think they will continue to be at a level where our offense is built around them and the team is still considered a contender. Also we are lacking that top end depth right now where we can grandfather the Sedins while a younger core of forwards become the new core. I know its what the Sedins would want (finishing in vancouver), but if there is a trade in the off season or next year's deadline where a team can take on the Sedins for a cup run in exchange for expiring cash dumps and high end picks/prospects, then I seriously consider it.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:38 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post

Old
03-17-2013, 01:05 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
qft.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:09 AM
Bleach Clean

Man I hope Booth isn't done for the season. 6~ weeks would get him back in time for the playoffs...

Old
03-17-2013, 01:35 AM
CP

vCash: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just another pawn View Post
I said this in the GDT, but we should get a fair idea where this team is heading after the homestretch. If we're out of playoff contention, I'd rather GMMG stand pat, and not trade away the farm, or draft picks for mediocre stop-gap players. Unfortunately we don't possess the assets to really "retool".....so we're really ****ed either way.

Players under contract after this season (trade bait):
Ballard
Luongo
Booth

Upcoming UFA's
Lappiere
Raymond
Higgins
At this point would love tp move 2 for 1 if that one is a quality center.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:28 AM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCanuck View Post
I dont see the downside to be honest. The Sedins are 33, and far and out the most important pieces we have on the team. I really don't think they will continue to be at a level where our offense is built around them and the team is still considered a contender. Also we are lacking that top end depth right now where we can grandfather the Sedins while a younger core of forwards become the new core. I know its what the Sedins would want (finishing in vancouver), but if there is a trade in the off season or next year's deadline where a team can take on the Sedins for a cup run in exchange for expiring cash dumps and high end picks/prospects, then I seriously consider it.
I agree with virtually everything you've said in this post and this is a big reason why I'd rather trade Schneider than Luongo. The Sedins are slowing down and will not necessarily be able to keep up their elite play of past consistently. Also, their contracts are going to be a growing albatross on this team over the next few years. We need to surround them with young forwards with big offensive potential not only for the cap implications but we're going to need to do a slow rebuild in order to compensate for the Sedins regression over time. That's why to me trading Schneider makes more sense as we could likely get two decent young forwards and a pick.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:35 AM
DJOpus

1) Fire AV and most of his staff, hire Cooper or Ruff or preferably both!
2) Trade 1st + 2nd + Sweat for Rebeiro

3) Profit!

Old
03-17-2013, 02:44 AM
biturbo19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
I agree with virtually everything you've said in this post and this is a big reason why I'd rather trade Schneider than Luongo. The Sedins are slowing down and will not necessarily be able to keep up their elite play of past consistently. Also, their contracts are going to be a growing albatross on this team over the next few years. We need to surround them with young forwards with big offensive potential not only for the cap implications but we're going to need to do a slow rebuild in order to compensate for the Sedins regression over time. That's why to me trading Schneider makes more sense as we could likely get two decent young forwards and a pick.
We need to do a 'slow rebuild' because the Sedins are going to start declining in the near future...

So we keep the older of the two goalies who is going to decline steeply right alongside them?

Closed Thread