HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - XXXV

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2013, 02:48 AM
Balls Mahoney
SAVE US SVEN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
We need to do a 'slow rebuild' because the Sedins are going to start declining in the near future...

So we keep the older of the two goalies who is going to decline steeply right alongside them?
Lou still has at least five more good to great years in him. Realistically our window of opportunity for this group is maybe two to three years. By keeping Lou over Schneider not only do we keep the more proven and experienced guy but we can upgrade at another position while not losing much at the goaltender position.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:30 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

It's time for Kyle Wellwood. Gillis could likely get him for next to nothing and when given top 6 linemates last season he outscored Ryan Kesler. If AV would prefer to just roll with what we have, he should be fired on the spot.

We need to start winning some faceoffs. Get Wellwood back already.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:43 AM
casualkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJOpus View Post
2) Trade 1st + 2nd + Sweat for Rebeiro
I definitely dont want to give up any of our first round picks going forward. Its becoming painfully obvious we need to start rebuilding in the next few years and our cupboard isnt exactly bursting at the seams with talent. A lot of depth waiting in the wings but no bonafide studs which is quite concerning

Old
03-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
It's time for Kyle Wellwood. Gillis could likely get him for next to nothing and when given top 6 linemates last season he outscored Ryan Kesler. If AV would prefer to just roll with what we have, he should be fired on the spot.

We need to start winning some faceoffs. Get Wellwood back already.
We could (well we are) do a lot worse. I'd forgotten that he was good on the dot.

Its hard to fathom having all this time since Manny's injury, Hodgson traded, kesler's original injury, pahlsson not re-signed, and not having signed a single bona fide nhler down the middle for this season.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:02 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
We could (well we are) do a lot worse. I'd forgotten that he was good on the dot.

Its hard to fathom having all this time since Manny's injury, Hodgson traded, kesler's original injury, pahlsson not re-signed, and not having signed a single bona fide nhler down the middle for this season.
Yeah, when you know there's a perfectly capable centre in Wellwood toiling in Winnipeg that could be had for next to nothing and we're trotting out the crap we are it really make you scratch your head. You have to wonder if Gillis is more worried about the optics of going back to Wellwood than trying to ice the best lineup possible. How has this not happened already? Get Wellwood and keep looking for upgrades at centre. If you find them and Wellwood gets forced out of the lineup, so be it.

If AV isn't on board, fire him.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:05 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Yeah, when you know there's a perfectly capable centre in Wellwood toiling in Winnipeg that could be had for next to nothing and we're trotting out the crap we are it really make you scratch your head. You have to wonder if Gillis is more worried about the optics of going back to Wellwood than trying to ice the best lineup possible. How has this not happened already? Get Wellwood and keep looking for upgrades at centre. If you find them and Wellwood gets forced out of the lineup, so be it.

If AV isn't on board, fire him.
Why are we assuming that Winnipeg has any interest in trading Wellwood?

Old
03-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
He's not playing centre and getting limited minutes in the bottom 6. I can't imagine it would take much to get him out of there.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Wellwood is on a series of one-year deals. He could have been had at pretty much any time, for no assets. Not saying we should, just saying that it wouldn't have been a problem if we decided to.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:23 AM
SnapIt

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
Lou still has at least five more good to great years in him. Realistically our window of opportunity for this group is maybe two to three years. By keeping Lou over Schneider not only do we keep the more proven and experienced guy but we can upgrade at another position while not losing much at the goaltender position.
Can't forget Eddie Lack in this scenario down the road.

If Schneider can bring us a better package (he can) then he should be moved before Luongo.

Philly makes so much sense as a trading partner so I'm looking forward to potential moves to be made.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:28 AM
KeninsFan

vCash: 50
I don't like the interest in a futures package, prospects are so hit or miss even with high picks. Right now we have a good time we some great NHL players I hope Gillis continues to build our roster for now.

Trying to guess what happens 5 years down the road with prospects or even NHLers are a crapshoot

5 years ago:
- Hodgson was supposed to be our #1 C down the road. Patrick White was a legit prospect.
- Steve Mason was the rookie of the year and looking like a future elite netminder
- Ovechkin was an MVP and looking like a generational talent. Worth every penny of a 9M+ contract.
- Marc Savard was a #1 C
- Brian Lee was more highly touted than Erik Karlsson

Teams don't always have a core that can win it all and right now Gillis has that, he should worry more about winning it all then what team might be there after the Sedins regress (which is hard to predict with their playstyle).

Old
03-17-2013, 11:29 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Toronto's goaltending is starting to slide. Grabovski in the coaches doghouse...

To Van- Grabovski, Holzer (Leafs eat $1.5mil of Grabo's salary throughout the life of the contract)

To Tor- Luongo

Luongo is the more valuable player and that is why the Leafs have to absorb part of Grabovski's salary. The Canucks strengthen a huge organizational weakness at centre and the $4mil cap hit doesn't throw the salary structure out of whack. Holzer strengthens the right side depth.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Lundface*

Don't bother including targets that aren't behemoths on skates. I actually used to believe in Gillis, whatever problems the team had he seemed to address. Now he's tried to address an apparent need and has run this team into the ground. Its actually hard to watch this team play outside the Sedin line

Old
03-17-2013, 11:37 AM
KeninsFan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Toronto's goaltending is starting to slide. Grabovski in the coaches doghouse...
I've always been a fan of Grabovski. This season however he has been put in a "Manny/Pahlsson" role.

~35% o-zone starts. 11 pts/28 games on pace for 32 pts/82 games. He hasn't been great especially for 5.5M but in a more even offensive role he has proven he can shut down players and still provide secondary scoring (~50 pts).

Old
03-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
I've always been a fan of Grabovski. This season however he has been put in a "Manny/Pahlsson" role.

~35% o-zone starts. 11 pts/28 games on pace for 32 pts/82 games. He hasn't been great especially for 5.5M but in a more even offensive role he has proven he can shut down players and still provide secondary scoring (~50 pts).
Yeah, Grabo is a guy that can usually go head to head with the opposition's top line and win those minutes. That would be a great fit in Vancouver, whether he teams up with Kesler on the 2nd line or finds himself on the 3rd line with guys like Hansen and Higgins.

The Canucks desperately need another natural centre with talent and with the emergence of Kadri, I could see the Leafs moving Grabovski for a talent like Luongo.

Gillis typically shies away from Russians but you have to think Grabovski's longterm contract would quell any fears he has.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:46 AM
BerSTUzzi

Honestly I feel after a few more games of this it'll be closet cleaning with this team. I'm ok with that as well, I don't want to watch a losing team but some years it's doesn't work out. If the team isn't going to go forward with players like Higgins, Raymond, Lappy, etc then dump them.

IMO this team is a re-stock of young talent away from being very good again. The current line-up is very much like the 2006-07 team and I don't want to dump a bunch of prospects/picks to a) get destroyed in the playoffs because of lack of depth/injuries or b) not make the playoffs and throwing away a bunch of picks.

I'm not saying tank...I would never say those words. I'm just saying if the team isn't good enough in the next 6-7 games it is OK to accept we aren't good enough.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
IMO this team is a re-stock of young talent away from being very good again.
There is no time for that. The core is all in their prime, the farm isn't stocked to support a youth movement and young players take years to become good enough to win with.

Find a bonafide top 6 centre, get Kesler back and hope to be healthy come playoff time. If these things happen, this team can compete with anyone in a 7 game series.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:54 AM
John Bender*

A tiny 3rd line centre who can't play in the top 6 in Winnipeg is the answer to the Canucks problems? Wow.

I really think Gillis ought to look at moving Edler. How long must we all wait for this guy to figure his **** out? The only thing consistent is that he is inconsistent. If Gillis could get a good, cheap, young forward like Couterier for him - and then grab some other cheap imminent UFA - like a Visnovsky, Streit or something............I'd like to see him take the chance.

I'd love to see Gillis move Bieksa, but for some reason it was felt it was necessary to not only give this guy an absurd amount of money, but also a NTC? Does Edler have a NTC?

Old
03-17-2013, 11:57 AM
John Bender*

Quote:
There is no time for that. The core is all in their prime, the farm isn't stocked to support a youth movement and young players take years to become good enough to win with.

Find a bonafide top 6 centre, get Kesler back and hope to be healthy come playoff time. If these things happen, this team can compete with anyone in a 7 game series.
I just don't see that right now. When Kesler gets back he will need a period of time to get his legs. The short season does not permit that. I just don't see it very likely at all that this team is going anywhere this year - aside from the depths of mediocrity. You really think they could beat LA in a 7 game series? They are ****ing 0 for 32 on the PP in the regular season. That's so horrendous and disturbing - it's incomprehensible.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:57 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
A tiny 3rd line centre who can't play in the top 6 in Winnipeg is the answer to the Canucks problems? Wow.
Make a list of Canucks centremen that are available right now that are better than Kyle Wellwood.

Nothing more needs to be said.

Old
03-17-2013, 11:59 AM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:

I'm not saying total rebuild I'm saying if we could make a Higgins + Raymond trade similar to that of the Thrashers and Bruins trade of Wheeler + Stuart for Peverly + Valabik. Im not saying we can get a player like a Wheeler but you can get a quality young player for a Higgins +Raymond from any contender.

We are also one ho hum year away of trading away a few good prospects + picks from turning into one of the very bad teams in the NHL in 2-3 years.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:01 PM
canucksfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
I'm not saying total rebuild I'm saying if we could make a Higgins + Raymond trade similar to that of the Thrashers and Bruins trade of Wheeler + Stuart for Peverly + Valabik. Im not saying we can get a player like a Wheeler but you can get a quality young player for a Higgins +Raymond from any contender.

We are also one ho hum year away of trading away a few good prospects + picks to being one of the very bad teams in the NHL in 2-3 years.
I would keep Higgins. Good third line player.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
I just don't see that right now. When Kesler gets back he will need a period of time to get his legs. The short season does not permit that. I just don't see it very likely at all that this team is going anywhere this year - aside from the depths of mediocrity. You really think they could beat LA in a 7 game series? They are ****ing 0 for 32 on the PP in the regular season. That's so horrendous and disturbing - it's incomprehensible.
Maybe the Canucks are healthy come playoff time and for once their opponent is dealing with injuries to their best players?

Kesler makes the PP. I expect it to get back on track once he's in the lineup.

And another top 6 centre would radically change the look up front. Especially after Kesler's return.

The pieces are mostly in place. Finding another good centre is really all Gillis needs to do. That should be possible with the assets he has to deal. I don't expect Schneider and Luongo to be here after the deadline - that chip needs to be played and I think it finally will.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:04 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
I would keep Higgins. Good third line player.
He is but in every trade there is always a give to get. A good example is Pitts requires a few more quality wingers. I could see a Beau Bennett coming back for a Raymond + Higgins at the deadline (example not a proposal).

Old
03-17-2013, 12:05 PM
John Bender*

Quote:
Make a list of Canucks centremen that are available right now that are better than Kyle Wellwood.

Nothing more needs to be said.
But why Wellwood? Certianly they could find someone with more upside than Wellwood. I mean, been there done that and had no success.............

Old
03-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
But why Wellwood? Certianly they could find someone with more upside than Wellwood. I mean, been there done that and had no success.............
Wellwood averaged 18 goals a season as the teams 3rd line centre and did it for $1mil a year. He also stepped up his play come playoff time.

He's not the 'answer' to their problems. But he would help the teams chances of making the playoffs and winning the division.

Closed Thread