HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Don Cherry & Coach's Corner '13 Version | Part II

Closed Thread

Old
05-04-2013, 07:07 PM
TheStranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
LOL @ Don ripping linesmen. Good rant, completely agree.
"They're just failed refs" is straight up gold.

Old
05-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
"Luongo...I hope I'm saying it right.." Then proceeds to mispronounce in the next sentence.

Old
05-04-2013, 07:09 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 695
Loberto Luongo, followed by Lalongo.

So close, oh so close.

And yes, he's bang on about the linsemen. No one knows the rules of faceoffs. Just drop the puck.

Old
05-04-2013, 07:11 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

Cherry HAS to be mispronouncing his name on purpose... No way he can say it 3 different ways.

Old
05-04-2013, 07:11 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Malkin didn't by any chance have a long shift behind him?

Old
05-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Propane Nightmares
The Resist Stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftwin View Post
Cherry HAS to be mispronouncing his name on purpose... No way he can say it 3 different ways.
He is doing it on purpose, he does it all the time with European players. Apparently it's "funny"

Change the channel Marge

- ixcuincle
Old
05-04-2013, 07:13 PM
kbuzz

Somehow, I feel he's right about the Sun Newspaper having a negative effect with that cover. Shame on them.

Old
05-04-2013, 07:18 PM
PanthersPens62
#KidK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
"Luongo...I hope I'm saying it right.." Then proceeds to mispronounce in the next sentence.
That was gold! He soooooo knows how to say it correctly, just part of his shtick.

And he was spot on with his linesmen rant.

Old
05-04-2013, 09:03 PM
RobBrown4PM
Pringles?

See-gan

Van-Breeze-brook

Has Cherry been taking his meds?

Old
05-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Hahahahah called JVR "Vanviesbrook"(spelt that wrong, I know)

Love this guy.

Old
05-04-2013, 09:14 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuzz View Post
Somehow, I feel he's right about the Sun Newspaper having a negative effect with that cover. Shame on them.
Owned by quebecor news corp...

Old
05-04-2013, 09:18 PM
um

when he was talking about JVR i literally had no idea who the hell he was talking about till they showed the replay

Old
05-04-2013, 10:00 PM
Tleve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Why can't men being involved in men fields? I know that women watch hockey and sport, but since they are men playing that sport why not have that sport be covered by men? What is wrong with that? Most of the time they insert a woman journalist in there for demographics cause they want to expand their ratings or for PC reasons aka their image. It's the same reason Football players start wearing pink aka for a social cause, something that has nothing to do with the sport. I wouldn't have a problem if say women Basketball were only reserved to women journalists either.
The NHL has a fanbase that is 37% women. That is a large part of the demographic - and I am sure the NHL wants to ensure that that demographic feels respected. Surely if women want to cover the sport - they should be on equal footing with their male counterparts. Last time I checked, this was North America in the 21st century.

As for the bolded bit, does that mean that because only women give birth, only female doctors should be allowed to help to deliver those babies?

Old
05-05-2013, 12:56 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tleve View Post
The NHL has a fanbase that is 37% women. That is a large part of the demographic - and I am sure the NHL wants to ensure that that demographic feels respected. Surely if women want to cover the sport - they should be on equal footing with their male counterparts. Last time I checked, this was North America in the 21st century.

As for the bolded bit, does that mean that because only women give birth, only female doctors should be allowed to help to deliver those babies?
I don't care.

I just don't want as a viewer to see an experiment for PC or ratings purposes, I want to watch my sport the way I like it. And women won't watch hockey less cause every freakin broadcasters are men. I'm sure they'll get it since it's mostly always been this way on CBC(before Miss Campbell came in). I'm not gonna scream at my television because men are less represented when I watch female hockey. Hell they SHOULD be run by women and GOOD FOR THEM!

Old
05-05-2013, 01:10 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs Forever View Post
The idea of "male" and "female" jobs is irritating and wrong. People don't want to be limited by gender roles, which are defined by society. These aren't inherent things. And I'm not going to tell a child who wants to be a sports journalist and cover male sports (which are vastly more popular than female sports), "No, you can't and shouldn't do that because you're a girl. I don't care if male sports are what you are interested in, which makes sense because you get exposed to a lot more media about it. You have to go cover female sports if anything."
I don't care if a female covers a male sport, but I don't want to be an experiment for affimative action for females.

Quote:
There shouldn't be "man" and "woman" fields. There should just be "fields", and either gender should be able to partake in them freely and without discrimination so long as they are capable of doing so. You might argue that there are certain jobs that women aren't physically capable of doing. That may be true, but journalism certainly isn't one of them.
If that field is done by men, practiced by men, I prefer to see men covering that field. Just a matter of taste. Women can cover women sport. Why not? It seems logical.

Quote:
They hire female journalists because they are every bit as good as male journalists. If a network is hiring a female journalist to not appear gender-bias, that's not the fault of the female journalist.
I don't agree that it's all competence. More often than not it's about quota.

Quote:
So you think it's a bad thing if sports players support social causes, including Breast Cancer research? : What happened in Boston doesn't necessarily have to do with the sport of hockey, but every team in the league showed its support after it happened. Should that not have happened, then? It is the responsibility of these sports stars to help in social causes, with the money and power to do so, and Breast Cancer research and other causes, even if they have to wear pink (which was once consider a man's colour, as I presume your objection to it is solely because it is seen as a female colour), are plenty worthy.
Completly disagree. Sport leagues have no responsabilities. I know it's the "in" thing for sport leagues to support causes but their main fonction is to do sport. That's it. That's sickens me about these days sports: it's all about image. Whether it's the PC stuff with women covering sport or the "good" causes. It may make me look bad but I just hate fakeness and hypocrisy.

Quote:
Of course you wouldn't have a problem with it. You don't watch women's basketball (neither do I), you probably don't care about women's basketball, so you wouldn't have to see these female journalists you seem to have a problem with. But I'm sure they would have a problem with it, because they want the freedom to be journalists wherever they are capable, and they are plenty capable to cover male sports as well as female.
I would probably watch women Basketball more if it was covered by women. Cause I would like to see what they have to say, it would be intriguing to me. I would not want to hear what a man thinks about women Basketball. Cause he would probably be someone that's not good enough to cover men basketball.

Old
05-05-2013, 08:04 AM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
On the gender issue, I get the point Cherry is trying to make, but he's failed to articulate that point clearly. To some extent, I agree with him. Until such time as the culture can be changed, which it should, I'm not entirely opposed to his view on the topic -- players do things that are disrespectful to the reporters, and in his "old world" view he has particular disdain for people being disrespectful towards women.

That being said, why are reporters the magical exemption to the "gender-specific" area rule? As a spectator, I sure as hell couldn't just waltz into a locker room after a sporting event (for either gender), but if I did, I'd wager there'd be far more indignant rage if I walked into that of the opposite gender than my own (hell, that would definitely happen at my gym). I mean, I get that it's a media access policy thing, but it's astounding to me.

I'd prefer if there were no locker room interviews at all, frankly, but hey, then reporters would lose the ability to try and make news by getting a rise out of someone who is still emotionally invested in the outcome of the game and hasn't had a chance to wind down. Besides, this entire debate arose because some reporter tried to get a rise out of someone to get a soundbite/story.

Unrelated to that, I would like to thank Don Cherry for making the case I've been making for James Reimer's "high glove weakness" for two years -- I only wished he'd called out the bumbling idiots on the broadcast crew who feel a need to try and highlight it thirteen times a game.

Old
05-06-2013, 04:05 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
He's 110% correct about the linesmen. It's been happening ALL year too. Just drop the puck! It's not that hard. If somebody is getting an unfair advantage-that's fine throw them out, no problems. But what's the purpose of them "faking" them out? That's ridiculous. You're a linesmen! Nobody is paying money to see you!

Old
05-06-2013, 04:07 PM
ScaredStreit

vCash: 61
Would a man be able to do locker room interviews with women? Probably not. Same standard should stand. Actually I don't think ANY reporter should be in the locker room at all haha.

Old
05-06-2013, 05:56 PM
Hanji

Women reporters in lockerroms is such a non-issue. Cherry's ability to get people riled up over it is amazing.

Cherry is the biggest troll ever. lol

Old
05-06-2013, 05:58 PM
missingchicklet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanji View Post
Women reporters in lockerroms is such a non-issue. Cherry's ability to get people riled up over it is amazing.

Cherry is the biggest troll ever. lol
Heh, good way of putting it. People need to realize that Cherry loves to ignite controversy and get people talking about him. I like him and keep in mind that he's there for entertainment value first and foremost.

Old
05-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

I couldn't find a stream that showed CC, could someone post the Youtube version when it's uploaded?

Old
05-06-2013, 07:17 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
I couldn't find a stream that showed CC, could someone post the Youtube version when it's uploaded?
He talked about socks mainly. And ripped Paul McLean for calling a timeout.

Old
05-06-2013, 09:13 PM
useless

"they're failed ref's!" ahahahah

Old
05-06-2013, 09:18 PM
thom

Whether we like him or not he's experienced more in his life than most of us will dream of.And Boys he's nearly 80 yrs old.He was 10 times more controversial 25 yrs ago someone has told him the past 10 yrs to be more political correct

Old
05-06-2013, 09:20 PM
useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingchicklet View Post
Heh, good way of putting it. People need to realize that Cherry loves to ignite controversy and get people talking about him. I like him and keep in mind that he's there for entertainment value first and foremost.
You're wrong on both accounts.

Closed Thread